Ride Enhancements to The Crypt

kingsrattler

i wonder how many more preview pictures we are going to get before the park opens. Wouldn't it be awesome if we got a video of the ride cycle? Even a short ten second clip from a cell phone would be better than anything!

That would then leave the door open for some to accuse KI of false advertising if the cycle does not work long-term....

;)

this is true! but even for the sake of seeing possible new theming? sigh...i just want to see something in the ride area.

new soundtrack? hmmm i wonder if they have to get licensing permission, or if they would pay for that. depending on that, there's a lot of cool music that would go with the theming.

on facebook someone posted a response from don about the ride upgrades, it said, to the effect of, the antechamber and pre-show room are being re-modeled/themed (i guess that's what you could call it), and a new sound track will be played. these were just "initial" changes, however, so i guess that there are more to come.

so are you saying that it would be a series of improvements over the course of several seasons...that seems like a lot of work if they can't change the ride cycle.

I have hoped for Kings Dominion's Crypt music from the beginning. I can't speak to the legal obligations therein, though. I mean, that music track is in use at Kings Dominion's Crypt (even since its switch from Tomb Raider: Firefall) and the same soundtrack was actually exported over to California's Great America's Firefall top spin (even though that particular ride never had any connection to the Tomb Raider franchise at all).

My layman's guess at it would be that it still violates that whole "nothing-related-to-Tomb-Raider-or-adventure" clause that we hear about. Tomb Raider: The Ride at Kings Island seems to have been highly protected; moreso than Tomb Raider: Firefall. After all, their ride still has movie props, the Triangle of Light, the same effects, and the same music. If it were an option for Kings Island to keep their props and music as well, I imagine they would have... And if Kings Island could have Kings Dominion's music, I think they already would've done that, too... But maybe not.

As long as the rumored new music is energetic and fits the ride's theme (which I imagine as pounding drums, maybe strings, etc) I'll be pleased. I've always sort of thought that the Lord of the Rings cut of Requiem for a Dream (see below) would be really fantastic, if the light chanting / strings and drums loop repeated during loading, and then the orchestra picked up as the ride lifted... It would be a very dramatic ride, for sure... But I imagine the rights to that song would be quite hard to secure, as it is from a movie soundtrack... Maybe not? The Interpreter knows the ins and outs of that sort of thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEOolYYe60k

All the misinformation in this thread is ridiculous.

I see, so, is it safe to assume you have facts to back up your claim that much of the information provided in this thread is in fact false?

I guess it's about that time to make this comment again...

I can assure you that AZ Kinda Guy does know what he is talking about on these forums. Those who know him also know what his qualifications are to be able to make such a comment.

As for the specifics that you want from him...I direct you to a famous line used often by The Interpreter...

Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know.

Speaking of which, under normal circumstances, a license to play music from BMI and ASCAP normally covers performance rights for all licensed music from the two organizations, absent some other agreement in contravention of that...

And that, my friends, is all Terp can say about that in this particular matter...

How about we just scrap The Crypt. It's a waste of space, and an eyesore.

But in that regard, is there a right answer? If the building had been covered by a giant Indian temple facade, wouldnt it anger the Rivertown fans even more? Trees would do the trick, but if they didn't add any to repopulate Swan Lake, why would they waste money on disguising The Crypt? Maybe that's reality.

Of course, there's that go-away green Disney is so fond of... Add some trees to that and the building may look better.

Does that go-away green work on President and CEO's? Well, there was a proposed $20 million in parting gifts for Mr. K in the Apollo Deal...and he still got that same amount last year without going away. Green without going away. Who'd a thunk it?

Terp, who often wonders about the symbolism of a tombstone with the CEO's name on it during HH...

After not posting for what feels like about a year, this is very nice to come back to. I'm actually proud of KI! What is this feeling coming about me!

I take a ride on The Crypt about everytime I visit the park because the line is almost always short, it's indoors, and I actually find it entertaining. Yes, the indoor ferris wheel holds a place in my heart. Excited to see what the outcome is on opening day. And since I am no longer working at the park I will actually be able to enjoy an opening day again!!

I can back up MarketingExpress: AZ knows his stuff about the park.

As for the "initial" in that Don comment, it tells me that the park is going to slap some new paint on the walls and call it a day.

Whats the expression? You can shine a turd but its still a turd.

• 3 weeks later...

Posted to Screamscape this evening, I thought this was a very telling / entertaining picture:

2011_0509_TimberTowerSign.jpg

It seems they've got no qualms being verbal about the maintenance problems associated with the new era HUSS rides, not unlike our own Giant Frisbee and Giant Top Spin (which, like Dollywood's Timber Tower, have experienced not only frequent bouts of downtime, but also extensive periods in which they're awaiting parts, etc). To me, something like this would actually be refreshingly honest to see... If The Crypt sucks because of forces beyond your control, then why not say that even without naming names? It takes the pressure off you and allows you to claim that you do "all you can" to keep the ride running at its best.

Just interesting to see, and reminiscent of those pictures of Tomb Raider: The Ride's tunnel with the tented sign out front, Photoshopped to read "We're sorry, this ride is HUSSED today."