Ride Enhancements to The Crypt

kingsrattler

to me it looks like it's just a problem with the number of the 'giant' rides they have out, giant frisbees, giant top-spin, and the topple tower, the have so few of each model out (two giant frisbees, one giant top-spin, and one? topple tower) and they don't have a large supply of the larger parts for the rides meaning instead of wasting money keeping basically an extra of a one of the rides they just make/order the parts as needed (i.e. when Kings Island waits for over a month waiting on a piece for Delirium.).

Why do parks still buy HUSS rides if they're all unreliable and customer service seems horrible (of course, the last thing may be because a part takes so long to make)?

Probably for the same reason I think parks (namely Cedar Fair) go for Intamin coasters despite their terrible safety record and unreliability: their rides are the best there are...when they work.

I rode the ride today and I must say I am pleasantly surprised by the amount of investment. Though it isn't a whole lot, it's obvious that there was substantial time and money spent in what was done. Here's a rundown of what I noticed:

• As was stated, the Inception movie soundtrack plays in the queue, and is really great mood music - better than the schmaltzy Halloween music for sure.
  • The collapsed tunnel part of the queue is lit from below by the red floodlights just like last season, but the Tomb Raider lanterns also work, and lightly flicker like they used to.
  • New filtered lights are present in the room that used to have the monkey statues. The flame lights are also relit.
  • The skeletons from the queue are sequestered in the antechamber, hanging from the alcoves and lit by strobe lights. (This effect might be interesting if you passed it quickly, but since you're staring for prolonged periods, its both clear that they're not moving, and annoying that the lights flicker... Lighting them with flames would probably be more effective...)
  • The circular door that used to roll shut is now partially boarded up so that you can't see directly into the pre-show room. It also has a moving, filtered flame light projected onto it that's actually very nice.
  • The preshow room is the most changed: as people have said, the dog warriors are now flanking The Bat and lit with strobes.
  • There's a cool, color-changing filtered project behind The Bat that acts as a really interesting backdrop. There are also new lights aimed at The Bat to amplify his colors.
  • Where the dog warrior used to stand, there are two bowls with flame lights that have skeletons gathered around it as if they died just as they neared it.
  • There are tons of re-lit flame lights in the preshow room, which I think make the room look much, much more dynamic. There are far more moving shadows and interesting colors, and its very visual now. I think it looks incredible.
  • As we've been shown, there's the manual doors that separate the pre-show from the ride. Simple, but very very very effective. I brought two first-timers who were nervous and unable to have even the slightest clue what the ride was. It was great to have that mystery back.

The Inception score on the ride is also really nicely done, and seems like its actually well-synchronized. It plays a dramatic loop while boarding (which is something I've missed), and very naturally fades into the more operatic portion. It becomes even more loud as the ride begins the backwards portion, and it ends with a drumbeat precisely as the ride locks in place to return to the load position. It's unfortunate that they didn't do anything to lengthen the actual ride, but all-in-all, I'm impressed by the scale of what was done (and indeed, by the fact that anything was done at all).

It's still not a great ride. But it's at least got a hint of being an experience like it used to be. If there were a concrete storyline and pre-show (which I think that it's perfectly set up for now) and if there were one added flip, it would be on the right track to being "worth" the wait for most riders. They even have a ride operator standing at each door, making sure that there's one ride's worth of guests in the pre-show room at a time, holding the rest back by the circular door, so the implementation of a pre-show (even in the form of an audio track and nothing more) seems like it would be simple.

• Like 1

When you board the ride, look down at the old lava pit. It has been covered with cargo netting and there are now skeletons sticking out of it, this would look cool if on the second flip they would light it up and display this.

That's dangerously close to the idea some of us here concocted, wherein we imagined that skeletons would be floating in the "blood" illuminated with the old underwater lights from the lava pits! Sounds like someone somewhere might've taken note... At least to a degree.

Do they have the outside Fire Lamps (the one that use propane) on? I think last season they didnt use them....

I didn't notice, but I'd say probably not. The trees have overgrown the one to the left of the entrance. That was a neat detail when that part of the park was deeply wooded and dark and isolated. As is, I doubt it would be worth it - there's a neatly trimmed grass field outside the cave and a steel roller coaster just a few feet above it. Those flames would likely go unnoticed day and night.

It's great to hear about the ride enhancements. I'll have 2 things to look forward to when I visit for the first time this season.(WindSeeker & The Crypt) But I'm not including the Dino walkthrough/3D attraction as a thing to look forward to due to the upcharge fee.

It's great to hear about the ride enhancements. I'll have 2 things to look forward to when I visit for the first time this season.(WindSeeker & The Crypt)

Don't get too excited. It's just some minor changes. Nothing really changed with the ride besides the new INCEPTION music. Don't get your hopes up.

;)

I am a huge fan of The Crypt...and I always will be. I think the improvements look great, and I'm sure I'll take multiple cycles on the ride tomorrow...even though the latest program truly does, well, suck.

What is the music that plays while the ride is going?

• Like 1

It's great to hear about the ride enhancements. I'll have 2 things to look forward to when I visit for the first time this season.(WindSeeker & The Crypt)

Don't get too excited. It's just some minor changes. Nothing really changed with the ride besides the new INCEPTION music. Don't get your hopes up.

;)

I'm not getting my hopes up for the Crypt enhancement to make it the Crypt that much better, I'm just really excited to see some improvement even if it will be the slightest bit of it. This at least tells me that Cedar Fair is trying.

^^

This is what plays during the ride cycle. It syncs up surprisingly well (except for the fact that it really crescendos and gets most dramatic as the ride slows to a stop... literally at about 1:35 is where the brakes kick in). It does admittedly make the ride much more dramatic and adds a really unique touch. My friend admitted to "tearing up" as we flipped backwards towards the former lava pit because it's such an epic type experience now.

They also play a really fantastic, slow, morbid, eerie loop of the hook of the song while you're loading (which is much much much better than howling wind) and it builds very slowly and appropriately into the ride cycle. I like it.

• 3 weeks later...

^ I rode The Crypt today and now know what you're talking about. The red, orange, and yellow lights that lava-fied the Tomb Raider lava pit now stay on the whole ride cycle, though there's no water. I'm INCREDIBLY pleased to see it make a return--the floor now seems much less boring to look at. The lights draw your attention while you're flipping, so you don't notice the concrete as much. Thank you, KI! <3

WOWOWOWOWOW.

Eh hem.

This is spectacular, and exactly what so many of us were talking about even two and three years ago - using what's already there. Of course water would be nice, even if the only way it can exist is gently circulating through the pool with no fountains or mist. But to see something as obvious as light fixtures going unused is practically criminal on a ride that has such potential thematically.

And while I don't care much to bring it up in the new CEO thread, let's hope that his past work in bringing Disneyland Resort back to life (and instigating some major changes at Disney's California Adventure) will help him make decisions about The Crypt. Sure, one ride at one park in one region is totally a microscopic issue for him in the scheme of things, but if he had any inkling of what the ride used to be, and how it is easily the best themed ride in Ohio and perhaps in the entire Cedar Fair chain, he might act on that locked up potential and do some real good.

I have said before - my ideal ideal ideal situation would be to place a suspended top spin exactly like Kings Dominion's (with rockwork, waterfalls, etc included) and blend it into the already-existing scene. I literally close my eyes and imagine boarding the ride with nothing but loading lights, hearing waterfalls splashing all around... Then, as the music and lights turn on, you can see the pools and rocks on all sides, blending seamlessly into the volcano stretching up the back wall and the goddess in front of you. It would truly be incredible. The theme, music, thrill of Dominion's, with our darkness, goddess, lighting, build-up, and atmosphere. Now THAT would be a ride worth waiting for!

Ummm the water was probably circulated and new water could be added, preventing it all from evaporating...

Exactly. Moving water does a lot less evaporating... Rivers don't often dry up.

Standing water evaporates - and does a lot of other things.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not as if the Giant Top Spin is some massive, burning hot piece of steel that evaporates any water it comes within 15 feet of?

Still, I don't know the intricacies of the Crypt or why it is the way it is. Haven't many here said moisture was to blame for the ride's demise? And yet, with the exception of its first day of operation, the fountains never actually contacted the gondola. Was it the fog, then, that really screwed it up so badly? So I don't know what limits it has in regards to water being in its "personal space." Maybe a lightly filtering pond really WOULD push it over the edge eventually?