Ride Enhancements to The Crypt

kingsrattler

And correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not as if the Giant Top Spin is some massive, burning hot piece of steel that evaporates any water it comes within 15 feet of?

Still, I don't know the intricacies of the Crypt or why it is the way it is. Haven't many here said moisture was to blame for the ride's demise? And yet, with the exception of its first day of operation, the fountains never actually contacted the gondola. Was it the fog, then, that really screwed it up so badly? So I don't know what limits it has in regards to water being in its "personal space." Maybe a lightly filtering pond really WOULD push it over the edge eventually?

It's not a massive, burning hot piece of steel, no. But it is a machine that, like every other machine ever made, loses some of its energy to friction in the form of heat. The heat transfers itself to the air around it, raising the temperature of the ride chamber. And what evaporates faster than standing water? Heated standing water. The Giant Top Spin might not cause the water to boil, but it's certainly not helping its own situation.

I honestly doubt it's a huge component of the water issue, but I'd be willing to bet it's got something to do with it. A good chunk of my TR:TR memories usually involve a toasty, humid ride chamber, now that I think about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, I thought the coolest part of the ride was that someone could build a machine that could lift that many people in the air. I looked to the right of me, and saw that giant arm swing us up, and appreciated the maintenance workers and builders that made it possible. Considering there was very little else to see, the giant arms are amazing.

TC was a good ride back in the TR era, but now it's a time waster if you ask me! The powers that be are gonna have to overhaul that hoopty like there's no tomorrow to get her back to delivering thrills, TC gives Top Spins a bad name.

Well, considering it's not a TopSpin but rather a Giant TopSpin...and a prototype. To my knowledge, it's the only one HUSS ever sold. Even the HUSS Giant Frisbees, like Delirium or MaXair, are not as thrilling/fun as the regular versions. Size is an asset capacity wise (and doubtless one reason my beloved Frisbee left Great Adventure), but sometimes size is not an asset to the ride experience. Some of the best wood coasters, for instance, are far from the largest.

Then there's HUSS. What was that Dollywood story about a ride that was a terror to keep running?

Well, considering it's not a TopSpin but rather a Giant TopSpin...and a prototype. To my knowledge, it's the only one HUSS ever sold. Even the HUSS Giant Frisbees, like Delirium or MaXair, are not as thrilling/fun as the regular versions. Size is an asset capacity wise (and doubtless one reason my beloved Frisbee left Great Adventure), but sometimes size is not an asset to the ride experience. Some of the best wood coasters, for instance, are far from the largest.

Then there's HUSS. What was that Dollywood story about a ride that was a terror to keep running?

Top spin, giant top spins they're all the same just different variations in one way or another prototypes or not. Huss website offers many variations of those rides and there are some scattered around the globe, to my knowledge TC is the only one of it's kind and that's true! True to the fact that it's boring and needs some serious TLC.

That's like saying Woodstock Express and Beast, they are all the same. There is a huge difference in the ride experience. I truly love HUSS Frisbees, much, much more so than the giant versions. Some of the best Ferris Wheels I have been on have been among the smallest, and I've yet to ride an adult Whip that can compare to the average kiddie Whip (and I last rode a kiddie Whip last year!)

Hey Guys, just got this tweet from @KingsIslandPR, doesnt look like anyone has posted anything yet:

KingsIslandPR Kings Island [/color]

There's going to be some new ride enhancements for the Crypt this year!]

Any ideas what the enhancements are going to be? Are we going to get a little theming back this year??

Hey Hey Hey! Got an update on the Crypt. They have a NEW riding sequence now! More updates later!

^ As in a new ride sequence (i.e., the ride now does more or less than two flips), or as in new theming (i.e. something else new besides the lava LEDs)? Consider me interested!

Get ready cause it gets alittle better than when Cedar Fair turned upsidedown...lol:) Drum roll please...They do more FLIPS!!!!!!!!:)

More detail in her trip report.

I see. Now that I've read it, I'm honestly a little more prone to believe that you haven't ridden The Crypt much lately, KingsIslandJonasGirl. As of Friday, the ride cycle has not changed from the two-flip, "ferris wheel" cycle that it's had since 2009. The only thing that's changed, as has been pointed out in this topic earlier, is that the old Tomb Raider lava LEDs that used to illuminate the water have been turned back on, giving you something to look at during that prolonged backwards flip. The goddess is just as almost-but-not-really illuminated as she's always been as The Crypt and isn't genuinely "featured" at any point during the ride.

I don't mean to be a jerk; that's just how it is.

More detail in her trip report.

I see. Now that I've read it, I'm honestly a little more prone to believe that you haven't ridden The Crypt much lately, KingsIslandJonasGirl. As of Friday, the ride cycle has not changed from the two-flip, "ferris wheel" cycle that it's had since 2009. The only thing that's changed, as has been pointed out in this topic earlier, is that the old Tomb Raider lava LEDs that used to illuminate the water have been turned back on, giving you something to look at during that prolonged backwards flip. The goddess is just as almost-but-not-really illuminated as she's always been as The Crypt and isn't genuinely "featured" at any point during the ride.

I don't mean to be a jerk; that's just how it is.

I did not say the goddess was illuminated all I said was we got up close to her dang face...And I know ur not meaning to be a jerk..but from my point of view it was different than ever. I say its changed and I know since i rode it THIS YEAR ON THE 14TH OF JULY! So please dont tell me Im wrong when I rode it 3 times that day! It was better that 2009 and 2010... Thank you very much

^^ Um... thanks for putting me in my place?

I never told you that you were wrong. I didn't deny that you got close to the goddess' face, nor did I accuse you of saying she was illuminated. I was just trying to set the record straight as to if anything's actually changed... since I rode it this year on the 22nd of July. And the 30th of April. And several days in between.

Your TR just made a point of the goddess being exceptionally noticeable. All I'm trying to point out is that she isn't any more or less noticeable than she's ever been since opening day 2008. Both the original Crypt cycle and the ferris wheel version got you equally close to the goddess.

Your TR made a point of the "riding sequence" having changed to hold you over the old lava pit and "ice pit". I assume you meant the stalactites from TR:TR by that. Those haven't been in the ride chamber since the Crypt change, and the "riding sequence" is no different than it's been since 2010, which you doubtlessly know based on your experience with the ride on the 14th of July. I'm just trying to clarify what's actually changed and what's just new to you.

You're welcome very much.

^^ Um... thanks for putting me in my place?

I never told you that you were wrong. I didn't deny that you got close to the goddess' face, nor did I accuse you of saying she was illuminated. I was just trying to set the record straight as to if anything's actually changed... since I rode it this year on the 22nd of July. And the 30th of April. And several days in between.

Your TR just made a point of the goddess being exceptionally noticeable. All I'm trying to point out is that she isn't any more or less noticeable than she's ever been since opening day 2008. Both the original Crypt cycle and the ferris wheel version got you equally close to the goddess.

Your TR made a point of the "riding sequence" having changed to hold you over the old lava pit and "ice pit". I assume you meant the stalactites from TR:TR by that. Those haven't been in the ride chamber since the Crypt change, and the "riding sequence" is no different than it's been since 2010, which you doubtlessly know based on your experience with the ride on the 14th of July. I'm just trying to clarify what's actually changed and what's just new to you.

You're welcome very much.

Hey Im sorry I kinda freaked out on you. I was just trying to get you to see my point of view. I just want people to believe me without a long disscussion about how Im wrong and people kicking me out. Let me get to the point I was trying to make. Im only 16...and when I first rode this ride it was 2009. It was already changed from Tomb Raider to the Crypt(Please dont correct me I was just guessing). And It was soooo frigggen different from the original let me tell ya. The next year 2010... I went there with my mom. Same freaking riding sequence. Then It's 2011. When I went it was so different the riding sequence was. I told my cuz Julianne that it was soooo different than the last 2 years. Lets just say...I loved it! Sorry I have to rant... but Its true stuff.~KingsIslandJonas PS. I dont mean the stalactites...I mean the # of flips:)

Sounds almost as if it has its original start back. However, here you will find that people *me* need more than one account...so...

can anyone attest to the above statment?

"It now goes up to her face and hangs over the lava pits and stalagtites(sp?)"

Hi Hi Hi! I can attest it for you:) 1. It means the ride does like the old ride used to in the begining. 2. And the ride hags you over the ol lava pit & ice. Hope this helps:)

So everyone if you guys want me to explain my reasons of why the Crypt has changed...Please just ask:)

And please dont start a riot and freak out on me. its just me giving updates on what I saw and heard and Im being honest about it being sooooo much different than the years before. So ask me whatever ya'll want:)

Welcome to KICentral KingsIsalndJonasGirl,

I politely ask that you not double post but just edit your post when not a lot of time has passed between them.

Sometimes we may miss the first post not realizing the poster had made a series of post in a short amount of time.

I did go ahead and merge your last two post to avoid confusion. :)

Welcome to KICentral KingsIsalndJonasGirl,

I politely ask that you not double post but just edit your post when not a lot of time has passed between them.

Sometimes we may miss the first post not realizing the poster had made a series of post in a short amount of time.

I did go ahead and merge your last two post to avoid confusion. :)

Oh..Thank you...Im sorry. Im still trying to get in the hang of things:)

So everyone if you guys want me to explain my reasons of why the Crypt has changed...Please just ask:)

I would also suggest not posting like this. That's like me starting a topic with "My Kings Island Trip Report" and then the post only said "Let me know if you want me to tell you about it!" or if my topic was called "My best pizza recipe" and I simply said, "It's realllllly good guys! I'll make it later and tell you if my friends like it." It's like... Do we want to know what's changed in The Crypt? Yes...That's why we clicked on the topic was to see "ride enhancements to the Crypt." So yeah, we'd like you to explain your reasons on why The Crypt has changed. That's the point of this topic. If I was really, really, really excited and desperate for information, imagine how annoyed I'd be by the post I quoted above. It's like, why didn't you just explain your changes instead of asking if we wanted you to? Now I have to wait until you log on again and take the time to explain, blah blah blah... In your other topic, there were two or three times when you posted about having lots of good news on the ride, but that you were too tired and would explain later. Don't make a topic on something until you have the time and energy to go into detail, because it's frustrating to be so close, but to get no information.

But that said, people here are not trying to be rude. It's just that the ride you're describing is what has been for the last two years. Understand that you're saying things like "getting close to the goddess' face and hanging over the lava pits," but the ride is concreted into place. Therefore, it has been the exact same distance from the goddess since 2002, and the ride has always always always flipped backwards towards the lava pits. One possible explanation is that perhaps you had to wait in a longer line for the ride this time, and thus your eyes adjusted to the darkness and allowed you to see them clearly despite always having been there. I'm surprised by my friends who never, ever, ever see the goddess on their first ride. She is not difficult to see by any means and is slightly lit up at various points during the ride, but perhaps people just don't look for her so they can't see her.

As well, the ride's queue line got new lights this year, and some of the LED lights in the former lava pits were turned back on. So I think that people are under the impression that you're just noticing those small changes to the theme, when what is really longed for on this community is a change to the ride cycle (the program that the ride's computer commands it to run - number of flips, hangtime, ride length, etc). IF you suspect a change has happened on the ride cycle, please describe it to us. To help: since 2009, the ride has started lifting backwards (away from the goddess), revolved around the room once, locked into place, then flipped forward one time. It then slows and reverses direction, revolves around the room once towards the goddess, locks into place on the second time around, and flips down towards the lava while locked in place (in other words, it flips twice, and both are slow, locked flips, not quick spins of the gondola where the seats are). If that is different than what you experienced, please give us detail on that. If not, it is possible you are just seeing some things for the first time and that the ride is not different.

And like Avatar mentioned in another thread, just let the "Updates On The Crypt (AKA Tomb Raider The Ride)" topic die. Just don't post in it and it'll move back in the board history gradually. That way we can keep all the Crypt talk in this thread.

I would also suggest not posting like this. That's like me starting a topic with "My Kings Island Trip Report" and then the post only said "Let me know if you want me to tell you about it!" or if my topic was called "My best pizza recipe" and I simply said, "It's realllllly good guys! I'll make it later and tell you if my friends like it." It's like... Do we want to know what's changed in The Crypt? Yes...That's why we clicked on the topic was to see "ride enhancements to the Crypt." So yeah, we'd like you to explain your reasons on why The Crypt has changed. That's the point of this topic. If I was really, really, really excited and desperate for information, imagine how annoyed I'd be by the post I quoted above. It's like, why didn't you just explain your changes instead of asking if we wanted you to? Now I have to wait until you log on again and take the time to explain, blah blah blah...

But that said, people here are not trying to be rude. It's just that the ride you're describing is what has been for the last two years. Understand that you're saying things like "getting close to the goddess' face and hanging over the lava pits," but the ride is concreted into place. Therefore, it has been the exact same distance from the goddess since 2002, and the ride has always always always flipped backwards towards the lava pits. One possible explanation is that perhaps you had to wait in a longer line for the ride this time, and thus your eyes adjusted to the darkness and allowed you to see them clearly despite always having been there. I'm surprised by my friends who never, ever, ever see the goddess on their first ride. She is not difficult to see by any means and is slightly lit up at various points during the ride, but perhaps people just don't look for her so they can't see her.

As well, the ride's queue line got new lights this year, and some of the LED lights in the former lava pits were turned back on. So I think that people are under the impression that you're just noticing those small changes to the theme, when what is really longed for on this community is a change to the ride cycle (the program that the ride's computer commands it to run - number of flips, hangtime, ride length, etc). IF you suspect a change has happened on the ride cycle, please describe it to us. To help: since 2009, the ride has started lifting backwards (away from the goddess), revolved around the room once, locked into place, then flipped forward one time. It then slows and reverses direction, revolves around the room once towards the goddess, locks into place on the second time around, and flips down towards the lava while locked in place (in other words, it flips twice, and both are slow, locked flips, not quick spins of the gondola where the seats are). If that is different than what you experienced, please give us detail on that. If not, it is possible you are just seeing some things for the first time and that the ride is not different.

And like Avatar mentioned in another thread, just let the "Updates On The Crypt (AKA Tomb Raider The Ride)" topic die. Just don't post in it and it'll move back in the board history gradually. That way we can keep all the Crypt talk in this thread.

Ok...Im sorry Now I feel upset now... Im sorry I made you mad...Im just trying to get my point across...Nobody ever believes me!