Ride Enhancements to The Crypt

kingsrattler

To help: since 2009, the ride has started lifting backwards (away from the goddess), revolved around the room once, locked into place, then flipped forward one time. It then slows and reverses direction, revolves around the room once towards the goddess, locks into place on the second time around, and flips down towards the lava while locked in place (in other words, it flips twice, and both are slow, locked flips, not quick spins of the gondola where the seats are).

For the record, that's the same ride cycle that was (still) in place last night. I know because I rode it last night after Coasting for Kids was over.

You did not make me mad, JonasGirl. I think we've now confirmed via jc that the ride now is the same that it has been for the last few years. Again JonasGirl, your percieved different experience may have been from improved visibility or the new lights in the queue and ride. But the ride cycle itself is exactly the same as it has been for years. As such, it seems that you thought you experienced something new when you didn't. It's not a big deal. No one is mad. Just trying to clarify it to you. Spend more time on these boards, get to know some terminology (The Crypt is a Giant TopSpin built by a German company called HUSS - it is the ONLY Giant version of that ride in the world, though you'll find regular sized versions most everywhere, even in The Crypt at Kings Dominion park in Virginia), and you'll realize it's not that people don't believe you, it's that you were mistaken. There is one cycle that is programmed for our Crypt right now, and it's the one you experienced and the one jc experienced. Again, no one's mad... Just trying to help you understand.

To help: since 2009, the ride has started lifting backwards (away from the goddess), revolved around the room once, locked into place, then flipped forward one time. It then slows and reverses direction, revolves around the room once towards the goddess, locks into place on the second time around, and flips down towards the lava while locked in place (in other words, it flips twice, and both are slow, locked flips, not quick spins of the gondola where the seats are).

For the record, that's the same ride cycle that was (still) in place last night. I know because I rode it last night after Coasting for Kids was over.

Ok...But its aways different when Im there...Cause I ask them to make It a different sequence...And they do.

Ok...But its aways different when Im there...Cause I ask them to make It a different sequence...And they do.

One of the reasons I asked you to stick around on these boards is that I knew something like this was coming. One day, you'll look at this post and laugh. As I said, there is one and ONLY one Giant TopSpin on the planet. It is our Crypt. Because it is larger, taller, and holds more people than any other similar ride, it operates completely differently. As such, it use pre-programmed ride cycles that have been approved (I would suspect) by HUSS Rides, the German manufacturer. One would suspect that there are only four ride cycles approved for the ride: the original, one-flip Tomb Raider cycle, the four-flip Tomb Raider cycle, the nine-flip Crypt cycle, and the current two-flip Crypt cycle. The ride is not manually operated (that is to say, no one in a booth has the ability to control the ride with a joystick or anything), and since these is one cycle that is currently used on the ride, it is that one cycle you have experienced.

If you asked someone checking your seat to change the cycle, they may say "Sure!" as a joke or just to mess with you. First of all, how would they change it? They're checking restraints and hang out at the base of the ride while it's running. The only way to access the ride operator booth is to exit the building and climb the stairs along the back wall visible from The Beast's queue). And besides the fact that they can't make it to the ride operator booth in time, the ride does only have that one approved two-flip cycle. Once you know more about the industry and ride manufacturers and the ins-and-outs of the amusement park business (which I am no where close to knowing), you'll recognize that there is only one cycle on The Crypt. I guaruntee (you heard that right, folks, guarauntee!) that you have had the same ride experience as everyone else every time you've ridden it. I know you'll think I'm wrong, but PLEASE trust me on this. I promise you they cannot and do not change ride experienced based on a guest asking them to. Stick around here and one day you'll see.

The only thing that might have happened is if the ride had to emergency stop, in which case the gondola would unlock and swing back and forth like a pendulum until gravity brought it back to its unload stage. But that is extraordinarily unthrilling when it happened, so I doubt you'd be excited about it.

One of the reasons I asked you to stick around on these boards is that I knew something like this was coming. One day, you'll look at this post and laugh. As I said, there is one and ONLY one Giant TopSpin on the planet. It is our Crypt. Because it is larger, taller, and holds more people than any other similar ride, it operates completely differently. As such, it use pre-programmed ride cycles that have been approved (I would suspect) by HUSS Rides, the German manufacturer. One would suspect that there are only four ride cycles approved for the ride: the original, one-flip Tomb Raider cycle, the four-flip Tomb Raider cycle, the nine-flip Crypt cycle, and the current two-flip Crypt cycle. The ride is not manually operated (that is to say, no one in a booth has the ability to control the ride with a joystick or anything), and since these is one cycle that is currently used on the ride, it is that one cycle you have experienced.

If you asked someone checking your seat to change the cycle, they may say "Sure!" as a joke or just to mess with you. First of all, how would they change it? They're checking restraints and hang out at the base of the ride while it's running. The only way to access the ride operator booth is to exit the building and climb the stairs along the back wall visible from The Beast's queue). And besides the fact that they can't make it to the ride operator booth in time, the ride does only have that one approved two-flip cycle. Once you know more about the industry and ride manufacturers and the ins-and-outs of the amusement park business (which I am no where close to knowing), you'll recognize that there is only one cycle on The Crypt. I guaruntee (you heard that right, folks, guarauntee!) that you have had the same ride experience as everyone else every time you've ridden it. I know you'll think I'm wrong, but PLEASE trust me on this. One day if you stick around here, you'll see.

Ok...I was kidding about the asking to change the sequence. But... What Im trying to say is that I have lived here all my life I was born here and I have been going to Kings Island since I was born...And I really mean since I was born. And my dad and my step-mom Jenn rode it when it was tomb raider and then I rode it again last year 2010 and I rode It the year before in 2009. Then I rode it 3 times on July 14th of this year... Please dont get me wrong but it was sooooo way way way different than what you describe. Im not trying to start a argument about it...But this is how it was to me when I went a couple weeks ago and if compared it to the years past...It is sooo different.

And some of us here (myself included) have ridden it a dozen or so times in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011. That being said, we'll wait for more word from others before we can really say one thing or another about the ride cycle. One thing is, the park knows what a terrible state the ride is in. In 2011, they tweeted about the changes to the queue. In 2009, they even tweeted about a new soundtrack in line. So it seems to me that if they installed a new ride cycle (which is what everyone has been asking for) they might say something about it. If they market a new Halloween CD being played in the queue, they'd probably market a new ride cycle... But again, we'll wait and see.

And some of us here (myself included) have ridden it a dozen or so times in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011. That being said, we'll wait for more word from others before we can really say one thing or another about the ride cycle. One thing is, the park knows what a terrible state the ride is in. In 2011, they tweeted about the changes to the queue. In 2009, they even tweeted about a new soundtrack in line. So it seems to me that if they installed a new ride cycle (which is what everyone has been asking for) they might say something about it. If they market a new Halloween CD being played in the queue, they'd probably market a new ride cycle... But again, we'll wait and see.

Ok...I give up...Im not doing so hot on trying to get my point across. Sigh... But oh well...I tried. Well they might not want us to know that they changed anything yet cause I guess thats the way Cedar Fair rolls...Lol They are probally like evil laughing in their cave which they call The "Cedar Fair Offices" Bahaha Well I hope Paramount will see Kings Island and take it back...I have an idea... We should make Cedar Fair leave then Paramount would look at us and say we should come back! I know it sounds bad but in my head it's an awesome plan and It works:) *Evil Laughing* Who wants to hear my plan?

Thanks GYK for taking the time to try to help a fellow member to understand a bit more about a attraction at Kings Island. I appreciate that you have done this in a very respectful way, I know a great many members appreciate that approach. :)

KingsIslandJonasGirl - I have sent you a PM that is towards the top of the page.

Both of you have a good day

^^ Um... thanks for putting me in my place?

I never told you that you were wrong. I didn't deny that you got close to the goddess' face, nor did I accuse you of saying she was illuminated. I was just trying to set the record straight as to if anything's actually changed... since I rode it this year on the 22nd of July. And the 30th of April. And several days in between.

Your TR just made a point of the goddess being exceptionally noticeable. All I'm trying to point out is that she isn't any more or less noticeable than she's ever been since opening day 2008. Both the original Crypt cycle and the ferris wheel version got you equally close to the goddess.

Your TR made a point of the "riding sequence" having changed to hold you over the old lava pit and "ice pit". I assume you meant the stalactites from TR:TR by that. Those haven't been in the ride chamber since the Crypt change, and the "riding sequence" is no different than it's been since 2010, which you doubtlessly know based on your experience with the ride on the 14th of July. I'm just trying to clarify what's actually changed and what's just new to you.

You're welcome very much.

Hey Just wanna say im sorry for arguing with you...Are we cool?

Four days ago i was at Kings Island and MAN was it HOT! To beat the heat my group and I went to ride The Crypt and to my surprise, not much change at all.... I did notice that the lighting had been upgraded, or at least they attempted to fix it. They replaced the old, broken lanterns (Half of which didn't work) with new ones and they used flickering light bulbs. In my opinion they flicker a little to fast but its better than the old ones! When you get to the different chambers of the queue, the first chamber door(the doors that use to roll open) Were replaced with a wooded, boarded up looking door. Also, the first chamber seems to have also received new lighting. Not 100% sure but its got a nice red and blue lighting package from above. The second chamber also received some new attention! I don't remember the two lifeless demon things with horns but those are there, and the cheap looking demon bat is still there as well... but in this chamber they added a cool backdrop behind The Bat that creates the illusion of water . It looks as if water is reflected on the back of the chambers wall. After moving into the ride's chamber through the new wooden doors, nothing looks different, until you flip upside down towards the ground and LED lights turn on. In my opinion the lights could have been better... They are random yellow, red, blue, and green dots and you only see them once. But other than that the ride seems the same, including its cycle. :P

You are right on all counts, Dill. Good observations.

If only the lights in the ride chamber were as enhanced as the rides in the queue. Imagine those "water lights" that fill the backdrop behind The Bat being aimed at the goddess on the wall of the ride room. Disorienting, interesting, and unique! It would cast unbelievable shadows and really add something cool.

When you think about it, it's almost comical that so much work and so many new lights went into the queue, but not a single solitary thing besides some old LEDs changed about the ride itself.

GYK,

You've reminded me of something in your posts, The Crypt is a HUSS, and recently, there's been some trouble with getting replacement parts, (Dollywood's contract dispute sign comes to mind.) I've recently found this ride, and quite frankly, like it, and believe that theming will come. But if they can't maintain the ride, what good would be the theming?

Does anyone have any idea of HUSS and CF's relationship when it comes to mechanical replacements?

And,, you might be the guy that could answer this. The Crypt is a huge monster swing in the dark. How do the ride operators make sure all is clear in the dark? Hold a flashlight on their thumps up?

GYK,

You've reminded me of something in your posts, The Crypt is a HUSS, and recently, there's been some trouble with getting replacement parts, (Dollywood's contract dispute sign comes to mind.) I've recently found this ride, and quite frankly, like it, and believe that theming will come. But if they can't maintain the ride, what good would be the theming?

Does anyone have any idea of HUSS and CF's relationship when it comes to mechanical replacements?

And,, you might be the guy that could answer this. The Crypt is a huge monster swing in the dark. How do the ride operators make sure all is clear in the dark? Hold a flashlight on their thumps up?

HUSS is a company whose rides are not very well known for their reliability. Especially their "Giant" rides (of which Kings Island has two, a Giant Top Spin and a Giant Frisbee), which are not only rare (thus making parts rare) but often prototypical. I think what we've seen this year is their version of "now it's maintained, so we can work on the theme." Observationally, the ride has never run more smoothly or consistantly than it does with this two-flip cycle, so even if it bores some (or even most) park guests, it is in the park's and ride's best interest to keep it so.

Remember that when the ride first opened as The Crypt, a sign posted out front boasted, "This ride now has more THRILLS!" Of course, those thrills also meant that the ride had absolutely zero on-ride lighting (as I recall, the "loading lights" stayed on for the whole ride) and the soundtrack was techno-dance music. I would argue that no ride at Kings Island has gone through more distinct changes than our Giant Top Spin. After all, on-ride lighting, appropriate music, changed music, queue lighting, LEDs in the lava pits, etc. have all been individual steps in the lifetime of the ride that have created distinct experiences, and that doesn't include the many forms of TOMB RAIDER: The Ride. You say you just found this ride, so I wonder if you're familiar with its life as Tomb Raider: The Ride. Watch

to get an idea of the themeing it used to have, and the cycle it used to run.

tombraider01.jpg

This used to stand where The Bat does now, and a video screen rose from the alter to play a pre-show video.

TombRaider_580_V2.jpg

The LED lights so many people are talking about used to be this "lava pit," which shot up at riders while the volcano stretching up the back wall (which is still visible when boarding) erupted with fog and strobes.

picture2qo.png

When photographed from above and covered with water, those LED lights looked like real lava, which the car hung over. (That's why people are asking for that pool to be re-filled, even if the water just lightly circulates without fountains or fog... It makes the LED lights look really cool).

pki-tomb-raider-400-1.jpg

The carved figure on the forward wall which is vaguely visible through the ride cycle used to "come to life," with laser eyes.

trtr_8.jpg

This is the picture on the official Kings Island website of The Crypt:

Crypt_001.jpg

As you can see, it's an edit of an earlier image of TOMB RAIDER: The Ride which shows the goddess:

trtr_9.jpg

As you said, the Crypt isn't a bad ride in and of itself. But compared to what it used to be, many people here are greatly upset. The themeing was removed in accordance with the sale of the park from Paramount. To compensate, the "thrill" was increased with a much more wild cycle. Now, probably due to the mechanics of the ride, it is both less themed AND less thrilling than its former incarnations. That's the problem I know I have.

Also (this is the longest post ever...), the seats are checked by the ride operators, who do signal "all clear" to the ride operator who is seated in a room hidden on the "goddess wall." The operator sits halfway up the wall and looks out a window to see the operators. As with pretty much all modern rides, the computer will also not allow the ride cycle to start until all of the seats display green lights. The Crypt at Kings Dominion (an outdoor, smaller Top Spin) has these little lights right on the gondola itself. From afar, it looks like a green block. Up close, it is two rows of 22 (or however many) lights no bigger than Christmas lights which each represent one of the seats. You can see it on the front of the gondola

In 2009 almost every time I was at the park Delirium and the Crypt were broken down. But this year I've only seen both rides break down twice. And with the Crypt's shorter circuit, it seems to have a greater reliability. And did they shorten Delirium's? It looked like they did, but then once I got on it didn't feel like it.

In 2009 almost every time I was at the park Delirium and the Crypt were broken down. But this year I've only seen both rides break down twice. And with the Crypt's shorter circuit, it seems to have a greater reliability. And did they shorten Delirium's? It looked like they did, but then once I got on it didn't feel like it.

I know some people here have said that Delirium is shorter or has a new "click" sound / feeling whenever it changes direction. A lot of folks who have been here a while say that is not new, and that the ride is the same length it has always been.

GYK, who goes between Delirium and maXair too often to notice a change like that.

. How do the ride operators make sure all is clear in the dark? Hold a flashlight on their thumps up?

The restraints have sensors that can tell if they are closed.

I'm sorry, I meant the ride attendants, themselves. Thanks for answering that.

Those images are fab. I'd like to have seen that. I could never find it before, I just happened to see it one day while I was stuffing my face with fries in Rivertown.

• Like 1

GYK you're right about the water reflecting on the Sheeba Godess! That would be such an easy thing to do that would make the ride so much better. I don't really see how they HAD to remove the lava and stalactites because of rights to the movie... lava isn't exclusive to that movie lol. They could at least add some mist to the ride chamber... maybe fog? And something to REALLY add to the whole ride would be updating The Bat in the final chamber... I was there with my brother, his girlfriend, and her younger sister and the thing actually made her laugh! It's pathetic and you can hear the mechanics to it. I saw the lifeless demon dog things with horns and thought... What if they suddenly fell out over top of the people waiting in line focusing on the "Bat"... That'd be pretty surprising! Oh and i think a company like Cedar Fair can make a bowl of fire look a little better than wiggling orange paper...

^^ You're forgetting Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean attraction is famous for having "wiggling orange paper" to simulate flames, and still looks awesome to this date.

^ I remember an old maze from the FearFest days that couldn't have fog because of its location (Curse of the Crypt in Coney Arcade), and every time they tried to have fog, the fire alarm would go off.

Anyway, every time I'm in the preshow chamber, I just wish that they had sprung for THIS guy instead:

0fada63548f55c768073b4d4e838.jpg

...and have him sitting on a throne. Then, when everyone is inside the room, he rises up and gives a speech of some kind (most likely one involving trespassing onto forbidden grounds and disturbing the restless spirits that are trapped in the Crypt). Most everyone that's into haunted houses have seen this creature at a number of places like USS Nightmare, Dead Acres, and Land of Illusion.

I wonder what they could do with removing the giant top spin and building a new roller coaster of some sort inside the building that houses the ride today. I know there's close to no possibility of this happening but it would be a nice spot for a cool family ride of another thrill ride like FoF in X Base. They could leave the godess on the wall and have the ride based on that. Maybe a wild mouse type of ride? A log flume or another sort of water ride would fit the theme great as well! Thoughts and comments and this? This is just creative thinking from a 16 year old!

I know it's an idea that's been thrown around on these forums before, but I like the idea of licensing the Uncharted video games and using that license to theme a ride. Maybe even our Crypt. And there's so much stuff from Tomb Raider that you have to wonder why it was removed. First thing that comes to mind is the video screens in the queue. I'm sure maintenance was little to no issue for those. As GYK said, the ride is less themed AND less thrilling than it used to be. They could still have a great themed ride without stressing the ride. They could keep the cycle it has right now and even just giving us something pretty to look at would help. I guess the fact that Paramount patented not just the ride, but the experience, is likely a cause of the issue.

There's so much that could be done to the ride given the ride budget towards themeing. The Inception music makes something pretty obvious - why not theme the ride to the movie Inception? building a circular "cityscape" around the ride (more along the lines of a Vekoma Madhouse like Alton Tower's Hex) would create an unimaginably disorienting experience. Especially if there were a "street" constructed on the back wall, with some cars sideways and trees growing down from the ceiling amid the curved skyscrapers. But again, that would involve a LOT of money and STILL the ride experience itself would be admittedly sub-par.

As for why the lava, etc. was removed, I think there are two reasons. 1) It wreaked havoc on the ride itself. People here with far more information than me will tell you just how damaged that ride was due to its interactions with water. The leaping fountains, the mist, and the fog were too much to handle since the ride was not "weather proofed." It was not constructed to operate outdoors, because why should it? It was in a building, and would never come in contact with rain or snow or wind... Right? Also, mist and fog never set the fire alarm off before... Look at the photo I posted of the lava pits. You can literally see the red theater lights shining through the fog - that's how thick it was. And mist by definition is composed of water, so no fire alarms there... Maybe it depends on what the base of the fog is, water or chemical.

2) There is a very, very, very extensive protective copyright for Tomb Raider: The Ride. Really consider: would Cedar Fair have removed something they didn't have to remove? It cost them time and money to take down the stalactites from the ceiling, and if they could have stayed they doubtlessly would have. I have heard from the operations director of Rivertown that the ride was the most protected legally by Paramount Parks, to the extent that, without renewing the Tomb Raider license, the ride was forbidden to feature ANYTHING relating to Tomb Raider, including adventure, a jungle setting, seeking an ancient treasure, goddesses and gods, saving the world, a battle of the elements fire and ice... That being said, a "crypt" really is a pretty smart re-theme. Can you think of anything else that utilizes as much as possible without nearing a "tomb raider" theme? I certainly can't... And look at the ride now. It is not of the "adventure" genre, but of the "horror" genre. And there is no fire or ice. It's not jungle-y. And no goddesses. And no ancient treasure hunts... They've kept all that they could while removing only what they had to.

And I agree whole-heartedly with The Bat demon. Frankly, I think it would be "Scarier" if it were turned off and painted like stone. As it is, it's truly the cherry on top of the joke... A clicking, hissing, barely-audible growling pink bat. Could it get any worse (did I mention it has nipples and armpit hair)? I have often said that (especially now that the pre-show room and antechamber are separately filled), it would make sense to have The Bat's raspy, demonic voice tell a short voiceover about how he is a fallen angel cursed to guard a crypt of evil spirits, and that you have been locked in. The only way out is to progress further in and challenge the spirits themselves. A 30 second, pre-recorded voiceover and at least the ride would have an inkling of theme. Then, the old "lava pits" are a pool of blood, the water-y lights on the goddess, the Inception music, and voila... At least a more well-rounded ride. Also, if it continued around and flipped even one more time, it would at least seem "worth it."

• Like 1

As long as we were on the subject of game themes (After all, Tomb Raider was a game before it was a movie), another that could work well is Metroid. The gondola could represent Samus doing a screw attack. And where the demon sits now, you could have Ridley. Female protagonist would be the only similarity. They could theme it to space. Not jungle-y at all. Where Durga now sits (sort of), they could have a chozo statue. Thematically, this would not infringe on Tomb Raider's theme. I know this would never be considered, I say this only to prove that there is A LOT they could do to add theme without infringing. Unless of course, there's more to the copyright than we understand. Also, perhaps they are not adding theme, not because they can't, but because it isn't worth the money to overhaul a less-than-reliable ride. But if I had to make an uneducated guess, I'd bet it's a combination of the two.

EDIT: Just so you don't think I'm completely ADD, here's what Ridley looks like. The Bat demon reminds me of him every time I see it.

http://images.wikia.com/metroid/images/1/12/RidleySSBB.jpg

Call me crazy, but I would not have bought the park with those terms. I can understand Paramount protecting their licensed themes, etc.

I can also understand FUN not wanting to fork over a bunch of dough paying for licensed rides, but SOMEONE should have looked at that ride, which was an AWESOME signature attraction for the park and realized that you couldn't remove all those elements and keep the ride quality. In light of those facts it would have been reasonable to either ask Paramount to remove SOME of the restrictions OR pay the licensing fee to Paramount. One could even have argued to Paramount that a top signature attraction would become next to useless without the theming and negotiated a reduced licensing fee based on that argument.

How did Kings Dominion keep their fire effects?

I think thdy could add some natural gas fire effects in the existing building with a little work. Short burts of some flames as seen at many concerts indoors. Trans Siberian Orchestra even comes to mind. It could be themed Crypt, but fire would resemble hell.

Honestly The Crypt is worth nothing at all to most guests of the park. They need to get with the program and fix it or tear it down and put something cool in its place(Ah-hem, SoB for example) because its just a huge useless building taking up a bunch of space. There's only one good thing that The Crypt has to offer... AIR CONDITIONING. I would rather them put a stupid dinosaur in its place than have them leave it how it is...