Ride Enhancements to The Crypt

kingsrattler

Call me crazy, but I would not have bought the park with those terms. I can understand Paramount protecting their licensed themes, etc.

I can also understand FUN not wanting to fork over a bunch of dough paying for licensed rides, but SOMEONE should have looked at that ride, which was an AWESOME signature attraction for the park and realized that you couldn't remove all those elements and keep the ride quality. In light of those facts it would have been reasonable to either ask Paramount to remove SOME of the restrictions OR pay the licensing fee to Paramount. One could even have argued to Paramount that a top signature attraction would become next to useless without the theming and negotiated a reduced licensing fee based on that argument.

How did Kings Dominion keep their fire effects?

I think thdy could add some natural gas fire effects in the existing building with a little work. Short burts of some flames as seen at many concerts indoors. Trans Siberian Orchestra even comes to mind. It could be themed Crypt, but fire would resemble hell.

That could be horrific. One small glitch, and you have an enclosed building with 56 people already tied to a spit.

No thanks on real flames.

That could be horrific. One small glitch, and you have an enclosed building with 56 people already tied to a spit.

Right. Like on the Mummy. Or Backdraft. Or The Italian Job: Stunt Track. Or JAWS! Haha.

Kings Dominion's Crypt and the similar Firefall at Great America hold riders over fire (or, cleverly disguised to appear that way to onlookers). But yeah, that would probably require a lot of re-coding the building and re-ventilating. It would be expensive. If our Giant Top Spin were replaced with a newer suspended Top Spin or something with a wild program and better reliability, I can see money being put into the ride. As is, I doubt any sizable investment will ever be set aside for The Crypt when - as was mentioned - it's not exactly a crowd pleaser. But who knows what the new head of the company has planned...

Right. Like on the Mummy. Or Backdraft. Or The Italian Job: Stunt Track. Or JAWS! Haha.

Kings Dominion's Crypt and the similar Firefall at Great America hold riders over fire (or, cleverly disguised to appear that way to onlookers). But yeah, that would probably require a lot of re-coding the building and re-ventilating. It would be expensive. If our Giant Top Spin were replaced with a newer suspended Top Spin or something with a wild program and better reliability, I can see money being put into the ride. As is, I doubt any sizable investment will ever be set aside for The Crypt when - as was mentioned - it's not exactly a crowd pleaser. But who knows what the new head of the company has planned...

Given the constant propane stank hovering around Kings Dominion's outdoor Crypt, I'd guess the likelihood of our indoor Crypt getting real fire is about as likely as The Beast opening with no trims and new Timberliners tomorrow.

Truthfully, I doubt Ouimet's going to take a personal interest in the ride. The fanboy in me wants to think, working for Disney, he would have heard of the Disney-comparable ride experience of Tomb Raider and have discussed in board meetings any sort of Disney "response" to the ride (in the form of a comparable or competitive experience). Realistically, even if that did happen, I'm pretty sure any personal interest in the ride is going to be significantly diminished when he hears about its horrendous downtime. I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer; the ride is simply a money pit at times.

Call me crazy, but I would not have bought the park with those terms. I can understand Paramount protecting their licensed themes, etc.

I can also understand FUN not wanting to fork over a bunch of dough paying for licensed rides, but SOMEONE should have looked at that ride, which was an AWESOME signature attraction for the park and realized that you couldn't remove all those elements and keep the ride quality. In light of those facts it would have been reasonable to either ask Paramount to remove SOME of the restrictions OR pay the licensing fee to Paramount. One could even have argued to Paramount that a top signature attraction would become next to useless without the theming and negotiated a reduced licensing fee based on that argument.

I think thdy could add some natural gas fire effects in the existing building with a little work. Short burts of some flames as seen at many concerts indoors. Trans Siberian Orchestra even comes to mind. It could be themed Crypt, but fire would resemble hell.

I so agree:)

I so agree:)

Not to mention that without adequate ventillation, there could be a buildup of toxic gases such as Carbon Monoxide. That coupled with the consequences of a possbile gas leak, or a fire as stated above could risk the lives of many patrons.

Case in point,

The artificial "fabric" flames are an excellent idea. ;)

As of last weekend, several small red lights have been added to the room before The Bat. They're mixed along the skeletons on either side of the room, and it makes either side of the room glow softly red. It's a very nice touch that illuminates the skeletons that were frankly easy to miss before.

As of today, the two dog demon-whatsits to either side of The Bat have also had red lights installed beneath them, causing them to glow and, y'know, actually be visible now. Haha. Also, the goddess is now illuminated with light blue lights (which I am assuming used to color the icicles on TRTR) that pulse/flicker a bit when the gondola switches directions. It's a very noticeable change--I heard several people mention how they expected her to do something on my one ride today. And frankly, since they're illuminating her, my inner fanboy does wonder if they plan on turning her back on... But I'm probably getting way ahead of myself.

Keep up the awesome work, KI!

AH! I have never seen the harm in having her eyes light up. Has Cedar Fair not done all they can in hiding her? I have heard that she's painted black, though I can't tell how anyone could be sure since she was just stone-colored to begin with... The point being, as long as it technically maintains nothing more than the look of glowing red eyes on the wall, why can't they light up? I don't know the ins and outs of agreements and contracts and licensing, but it seems to me that, even if the whole "fire and ice" elemental thing were not allowed, there shouldn't be a massive problem with some glowing red eyes.

And yet again, I'm fascinated and exhilarated by the idea of these slight, but very purposeful changes taking place. There was thought put into the decision to aim the lights at her, and certainly a bit of re-programming of the show lights, so it was a very conscious choice, and I think that's awesome.

GYK, who still maintains that a very worthwhile investment for Kings Island would be the purchase of a new suspended top spin (or a new, properly-braked Giant model that should cost next to nothing after all the problems they've encountered) and the purchasing of the Lara Croft: Tomb Raider rights... Can individual film properties be licensed? I truly think it would be a worthwhile investment for the park, and that the marketing would really be incredible. "In 2013, the Adventure is Reborn..." After all, don't they know the major issues? The problems with water, the brakes, the original capacity... It seems to me that a new, re-done Tomb Raider would be an easy sell to customers who fondly recall the old ride, and a great viral marketing promotion. I just can't see how such an investment would top $10 million if done properly (using so much of what's already there,) so it would even leave budgetary room for infrastructure improvements that season). And perhaps Ouimet will understand the importance of go-away green and few trees to block the show building...

. How do the ride operators make sure all is clear in the dark? Hold a flashlight on their thumps up?

The restraints have sensors that can tell if they are closed.

I'm sorry, I meant the ride attendants, themselves. Thanks for answering that.

To answer your question, the ride ops are able to communicate with each other to give the all clear as well as communicate during the cycle.

^ Amen. Truly my ideal situation (as unlikely as it may be) is to have literally a clone of Kings Dominion's suspended top spin (with the same rock-work, water features, backdrop, etc) placed inside our building. Combined with our goddess carving, our theatrical lighting, and our volcano stretching up the back wall, it would truly be a sight to behold! Plus, if the music and lighting were re-worked correctly, just imagine the experience: sitting down and hearing the waterfalls all around you, then as the ride begins a few lights start revealing the extensive scenery around you, then a few flames shoot up from the side of the ride... The water fountains illuminated from beneath and the fire erupting below... A real thrill, and with incredible themeing, lighting, music, effects, etc.

Sure, the building would need ventilated and re-coded and the ride might actually need to be weather-proofed by the manufacturer, but I imagine it would easily be the best-themed top spin in the world, and certainly one of the better flat rides.

Realistic? Maybe not. But in a perfect world...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly don't like top spins... They feel like toys with their constant (fast) rocking back and forth... I loved the Giant top spin.... WHEN it was TR:TR

Top Spins are a cool idea... but they need to be exciting... and controlled. I don't like them to swing freely... especially on "small" scales.

• 2 weeks later...

Any word on the update..of anything...?

And why did they have to take out the whole bottom of the tomb on the wall, Couldnt they have just taken off the triangle?

It's been reported that the ride was not allowed to resemble its former self in any way, which meant it could not have any relation to an ancient, mythical tomb, treasure-hunting, or ancient deities. Perhaps someone in a legal department somewhere decided to play it safe and remove all those carved stones and pillars, if that's true.

It's been reported that the ride was not allowed to resemble its former self in any way, which meant it could not have any relation to an ancient, mythical tomb, treasure-hunting, or ancient deities. Perhaps someone in a legal department somewhere decided to play it safe and remove all those carved stones and pillars, if that's true.

Since the entire ride experience (not just the Tomb Raider aspect, but the sequence, effects, and general theme as well) is patented, it doesn't surprise me that Cedar Fair removed the vast majority of themeing from the ride.

• 1 month later...

It wouldn't be as bad if it was outside...the fact that they try and make it creepy, dark, and intense is what makes the ride terrible.....

if it were outside, it would be worse. the crypt wasn't designed to run outdoors and isn't weather-proof, this is why the water elements were removed from the ride.

• 1 month later...

Ok, so the dog warriors used to be there, then they were replaced next to The Bat demon. So, for possibly the Crypts last year, that was the part of the antechamber that had the skeletons and 'fire'. I don't remember that part of the room a whole lot, espicially considering I lookedat The Bat more than the other side, and I only got to ride it twice.