CPSC warns of deadly danger of water walking balls

selective

I just saw this news article and thought I should share it with everyone.

I haven't done this water walking ball thing yet, and I'm sure it's very safe, but after two incidents in other locations, everyone should be aware that children could have health conditions they are not yet aware of until they climb into one of these balls.

After reading this article, post your opinions and suggestions. Personally, I think if the ride operators in charge of this attraction know all the dangers and know how to avoid them to keep it safe, I see no harm in keeping the water walking balls.

(((BELOW IS THE NEWS ARTICLE)))

http://www.cbsnews.c...ch/?id=7361328n

(March 31, 2011) - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is urging consumers to stop participating in a new type of water-related recreational activity, due to the potential risks of suffocation and drowning. The activity is called water walking and the water walking ball has numerous brand or ride names. The fact that the product has no emergency exit and can be opened only by a person outside of the ball significantly heightens the risk of injury or death when a person inside the ball experiences distress. Pre-existing medical conditions, such as heart, lung, or breathing issues, can be made worse by use of this product.

Edited by CoastersRZ
Removed the entire posted article. Copyright law.

The fact that the product has no emergency exit and can be opened only by a person outside of the ball significantly heightens the risk of injury or death when a person inside the ball experiences distress.

Isn't that nearly any amusement park ride? You can't get off a rollercoaster or even a flat ride if you "experience distress".

I can see where there could be a danger of running out of air if you were somewhere where you weren't strictly timed...but at the park I am sure you have more than enough air for the length of your "ride".

When my nephew did it we could clearly hear him tell us he had had enough and wanted to get out early....I would think that someone having problems breathing could do the same thing.

There is an inherent risk in doing about anything. One of my hobbies, motorcycles, are also very dangerous. Am I going to stop riding? No. For Eurobobbles to be installed at KI, I'm 100% sure there is some sort of emergency plan in the event that someone does pass out, a ball begins filling with water, etc.

I think this was more a consumer warning than anything else, such as if someone bought one of these and used it at home.

Do you think heat from the sun plays a role in the possibility of suffocation though?

And would this be better under shade from the sun, or in an air conditioned building?

Also, does this seem like a Coney Mall thing, or should it be in the Boomerang Bay water park section of Kings Island?

The CPSC owes KI and everyone else who operates this type of ride an apology.

http://www.cpsc.gov/...ml11/11185.html

CPSC is aware of two incidents involving this product.

Two?! I could probably find more deadly incidents involving toilets.

Edit: Oh wait, CPSC thinks THOSE are dangerous, too.

Toilets

Toilets can be overlooked as a drowning hazard in the home. The typical scenario involves a child under 3-years-old falling headfirst into the toilet. CPSC has received reports of 16 children under age 5 who drowned in toilets between 1996 and 1999.