Opening Weekend for Carowinds and Kings Dominion

Creed Bratton

So my trip to Carowinds and Kings Dominion started on Friday. Stalkerchick, her fiancé and myself headed from Cincinnati down to Charlotte at noon. We had smooth sailing the whole entire trip except for when we got to Tennessee. We ended up having to take a detour due to an accident on Jelico Mountain. The detour took us about 20 miles away…to a route that seemed, well it cultured us very well in shanty towns, low income places and pretty mountain rivers. Not to be rude but we felt like we should be hearing dueling banjos. Anywho, we got down to Comfort Inn around 9:45 pm. We pulled into the parking lot with at least 6 charter buses. I was a bit worried. After a night of relaxing and watching Ghost Adventures on TV we went to bed. We got up pretty early and headed to the park. I got my pass processed and taken care of well before 9 am. We met up with DaveStroem and his family. Once the gates were open, we headed to Planet Snoopy. They let us in at 10…we headed to do the Eagles, but the ride ops told us they wouldn’t open until 11. So we headed to Afterburn. We got 2 rides on Afterburn without having to leave the station. We then went and rode Northern Star. After which we went to Intimidator. I wasn’t too impressed having ridden Diamondback numerous times, but it was a good ride. After Intimidator we went to Nighthawk. It was a nice but short ride. Talk about major rush flying over water! We then grabbed a picnic lunch that a local radio station was sponsoring. It was weird, they didn’t offer much to eat, but it was good. We then headed toward the back of the park and worked our way about. We rode Carolina Cobra. It was an okay boomerang. However, I was not a fan of the Vekoma restraints. Then we headed to Carolina Goldrush. It was a simple but nice coaster. I wasn’t a fan of the load process or space in the cars. The load process took forever, we easily stood in line for 20-40 minutes. After that, a few people went back to the hotel to nap due to feeling a bit bad and/or having to drive that night. So then DaveStroem’s wife and kids went with me to Hurler. I was impressed with this wooden coaster. I didn’t understand the attempted themeing of the station. We then hit up Carolina Vortex. I have to admit out of the Arrow Loopers, this one had to by my favorite. The layout, the paint scheme, the smoothness made it amazing. I then went to Woodstock Express and Flying Ace Ariel Chase to get my coaster count somewhere nice, haha. By the time we met up with the crew that went to nap, we continued to ride Intimidator after it re-opened (was down due to wind). We rode until the park closed. The park stayed open a little later from what I understood to make up for rides being down due to the wind. I thought that was pretty cool.

100_0460.jpg

100_0461.jpg

100_0474.jpg

100_0476.jpg

100_0480.jpg

100_0500.jpg

100_0503.jpg

100_0508.jpg

100_0512.jpg

100_0513.jpg

100_0542.jpg

100_0545.jpg

100_0547.jpg

We then left Carowinds, grabbed a quick bite to eat and headed to Emporia, Virginia. We stayed the night in a hotel, woke up and headed the following hour and some odd minutes to Kings Dominion. We got into the park and headed to Dominator. We rode 3 times. I got to ride in the front row, seat on the left…best seat in my opinion for a view! The layout, the smoothness, the paint was amazing. I loved the ride and the coaster itself! Watching the mechanics of the floor dropping out from below was amazing. We then headed to the back of the park...since the park didn’t open until 10:30 we stood at the gate until they let platinum pass holders through. We headed to Volcano. I got to ride on a train with 2 other people. I was in the front seat on the right side. It was an amazing ride! We then headed to Intimidator 305. There was little to no ride. I sat in the 2nd car first row. I do think it is a good ride, but it did not wow me. Even though this was my first time riding it, I was happy to not have a trim on the first drop. The layout was so-so for me. I much prefer Millennium Force at Cedar Point over I-305. After we got off of 305, we went to ride Flight of Fear. I found it interesting that they had a haunt still set up in the queue. The queue was fairly dark though! :) It was a very smooth ride and I was happy to see that they had cubbies in the ride itself. We then headed to Anaconda. It was a nice ride but a bit too rough. We then got a chance to ride the Crypt. I must say I prefer this Crypt over KI's. I was a fan of the elements, the fact that it was outdoor, and that I didn't have a row infront of me. I think the gondola with a row on each side only enhanced the ride experience. We then rode Backlot Stunt Coaster. I was very unimpressed with how Kings Dominion ran this coaster. They were only running a one train operation. None of the effects were on except a very small splashdown outside of the billboard. At this point my pals headed to the car to get lunch, but I wanted a hot lunch so I headed toward International Street. I saw that Shockwave had opened, so I got in line to take a ride. From what I’ve heard it got a paint job over the off-season, which you could tell. It looks nice! I got in the back car, last row on the left. I was not a fan of the restraints. They were not designed to fit a wide array of people. I’m no big guy by any means but it was hard to get the restraints to close and then buckle up. The ride itself was so-so. I just wanted to ride one of the remaining To-Go stand-ups in North America. It was rough though. I then grabbed lunch at the front of the park. Once we all met back up again, we went and rode the Antique Cars. How I miss those at Kings Island!!!! They were so much fun! I really enjoyed their area for the ride. It was nice to see them operate. We then rode their eagles. They were fun and I got a couple snaps on them. After that we went and rode Ricochet. It was a lot of fun for a stationary mouse ride! I was impressed. We then went crossed over the midway to Hurler. This Hurler was terrible. It was rough and it was not fun at all. Rebel Yell was up next. I didn’t get to ride it because as the train before our train left, it got stuck on the lift hill. So then we crossed to the other side. As we were next to get on the train, they told us that there would be a delay. So we all headed to Intimidator 305. We got a couple rides on that again. Later in the day the ride improved. I did gray out though. We then headed to the Eiffel Tower to catch a view. To end the day at the park (a few hours early) we went and rode Dominator a couple more times. This time I rode in the back row, left seat. It was such a great ride! We then said our goodbyes and bought souvenirs. We hit the road. Stopped at an Applebees, but that’s a story for another time. Got back to Columbus around 3 in the morning.

100_0559.jpg

100_0562.jpg

100_0563.jpg

100_0568.jpg

100_0579.jpg

100_0586.jpg

100_0580.jpg

100_0588.jpg

100_0589.jpg

100_0590.jpg

100_0594.jpg

100_0598.jpg

100_0599.jpg

100_0605.jpg

100_0607.jpg

100_0609.jpg

100_0608.jpg

100_0613.jpg

100_0620.jpg

100_0627.jpg

100_0631.jpg

100_0636.jpg

100_0639.jpg

100_0640.jpg

It was such a great trip!

If you want to see more pictures, friend me on facebook to check them out!

Edit: 11:40 am, Crypt at KD was added into the KD paragraph.

I visited Carowinds on Sunday. As usual, they had problem with my Platinum pass from KI. I had to pay for parking before getting the refund.

The park was fairly busy on Sunday. I got there around 2 pm. I was able to ride Intimidator 15 times, Afterburn (I still want to call this "Top Gun".) 4 times, and Drop Tower 3 times in 3 and 1/2 hours. Not bad.

How I missed coasters! I got a late start this year but am planning to catch up. I am trying to get to 300. (I am at 255.)

Thanks so much for posting these photos! Sounds like you all had a blast! I really need to get down to these parks, especially Kings Dominion, its similarities to Kings Island has always interested me and I305, Volcano and Dominator look like awesome rides! These photo trip reports are making me jealous and more anxious for April 30th to get here so I can get out KI, I miss it so much!

Thanks again for posting these, it's nice to see a photo trip report of KD that didn't focus almost entirely on I305, as I've noticed around the internet...

Very nice trip report, Chris. Rode Hurler last time I was at KD almost 17 years ago and it was one of my fav woodies-I remember the section in which it was located was themed at the time after Wayne's World. ( Would have been nice if KI had a Wayne's World section in the Paramount years-I think that could have worked as I loved the Wayne's World theming at KD.) I noticed you never mentioned Anaconda. Is it still at KD? ( The arrow looper that goes underwater on the first drop.)

I personally think Kings Dominion is the second best park in the chain right behind CP..

The park has my favorite Floorless, fav inverted and soon to be fav coaster I305!

Carowinds has a great well rounded collection of rides!

I can't wait to get back to these parks this summer!

I visited Carowinds on Sunday. As usual, they had problem with my Platinum pass from KI. I had to pay for parking before getting the refund.

You didn't HAVE to pay for parking. lol. It's called go to the gold/platinum parking area. :) IDK why nobody else did it.

I know the parking place exists. I USUALLY park there. I did it 8 times last year.

It was closed by the time I got there though. I had to go to regular parking lot.

• 2 weeks later...