How does racer reach 61 mph

Michaeljackson

Racer at Kings Island reaches amazing speeds of 61 mph which is amazing it dosnt have a launch section or anything what I'd like to know is how can a rollercoaster like Vortex be 141 ft tall and only reach speeds of 55 mph and racer is only 85 ft tall and reaches speeds of 61 mph for a classic wooden rollercoaster like racer it should only reach speeds of 50 mph and yet Vortex which is almost twice as high as racer only reaches 55mph it's quite fascinating what I'd like to know is how can an 85ft tall wooden rollercoaster like racer with no launch system or anything reach such speeds oh and by the way The Vortex I was referring to was the one at Kings Island

Beast, at 135 feet, in the same park, is said to go 64.8 mph.

How does Racer do 61 mph? PR said it did. That same PR back then also claimed it was the world's tallest roller coaster, and did so more than once. It was not.

I think such practices were very common back then.

In my lifetime, I have seen the Great White in New Jersey claim to be the world's only wood coaster on steel supports (Coney Island Cyclone, anyone?), Top Thrill Dragster to be the tallest, fastest roller coaster in the world (months and months after it had been Ka'd), etc.

As if THAT were accurate.

And where does rcdb.com get its info? The parks.

Don't EVEN get me started on Wikipedia. Someone could go in there right now and have it say Racer does 6.2 miles per hour. It is not a reliable nor a credible source. Period. Speaking of which, punctuation is a very good thing.

In optimal wind speeds and other conditions it may be able to go that fast. The speed claim could be potential speed, not necessarily average speed.

Not necessarily a number about speed here, but take a look at the stats for our new wind seeker for instance. It says 1.280 riders per hour. For a 3 minute ride cycle, that is 20 cycles an hour and with 64 passengers each cycle= 1,280. Guess what, no unload/reload times are figured into that number. I am sure that is the number was given by the manufacturer, for at this point they don't know the actual # including load/reload time for they have never operated one of these yet.

I am aware of the need to reduce a coaster's speed for various reasons. More than likely, Vortex has been intentionally slowed since its opening. I am unaware of Racer having adjustments made to it's speed - but I could be wrong. Also, throughout the day, a coaster's speed may vary due to the ambient temperature.

I often hear The Racer ride ops claim it is "the fastest coaster in Coney Mall".

If it went 61 MPH, then yes. But as stated before, it doesn't. FoF is faster, Vortex is faster, I'm not very sure about Firehawk though..

FoF & Firehawk are in X-BASE, instead of Coney Mall.wink.gif

FoF & Firehawk are in X-BASE, instead of Coney Mall.wink.gif

X-Base IS part of Coney Mall, it's not its own area. wink.gif

So little remains of the park's original themed areas, it hardly matters.

What is Oktoberfest?

What's happened to Rivertown?

What these days is International about International Street, other than the original replica Eiffel Tower?

Action Zone? Really?

Planet Snoopy...sure, so far...but hardly original any more.

It almost raises the question...at this point is Kings Island a theme park or an amusement park. In typical Terpy fashion, I'd say the answer is yes...but it could easily go either way in the next several seasons....No one would contend Cedar Point is a theme park (though Frontier Trail is very nice...).

Am I losing my mind, or is The Racer's speed now listed at 53mph on RCDB? Or was that already settled?

http://rcdb.com/69.htm

You are not losing your mind. That apparently changed today.