Dinosaurs Alive Location?

RD Reynolds

The entrance will go from Coney Mall to under The Racer, in between the Euro Bobbles and the restrooms.

Ahh, gotcha. Going to be very crowded back that way this year! :)

Thanks!

RD

Probably part of the reason they re did the walking surface back there.

Who wants to make a bet that this attractions WILL NOT come back after this season? lol

What makes you want to bet that they won't? Seems like KI is making a pretty big investment in this thing. I think it's going to actually be pretty interesting to check out given examples I've seen elsewhere.

You could translate it as "I don't want to spend $5 so I hope it's a failure and they remove it and add a 500foot Intamin."

Or, in my case, "I don't want to spend $5 on it because I'm over the age of 4." But, since the target audience will replace itself every two or three years and little kids tend to like like dinosaurs, I would expect this to last awhile.

But, since the target audience will replace itself every two or three years and little kids tend to like like dinosaurs, I would expect this to last awhile.

I agree with your reasoning...but the "fly on the ointment" is that this attraction appears to be pretty high maintenence. I would say that it will probably only last as long as the dinosaurs stay in good working order. Once the park has to start putting much money in them I am guessing it will either be removed pretty fast or the "less impressive/non moving dinosaur exhibit" will be made available to everyone for free...after all, who can complain too much if it was free. (Besides us here of course! :P )

Then down the road we can look forward to seeing the dinosaurs spread around the park during Halloween Haunt!

st.jpg

I see the up-charge changing each year, regardless of the dinosaur's condition. People will pay $5.00 when it's brand new. But considering the number of Kings Island visitors who are pass-holders (and also factoring in the people who visit enough that they might as well be, but don't know the financial benefits of it), I just don't think that a year or two down the road this will still be doing great business at $5.00.

From the beginning I've said that passholders should get in for $2.00 or $3.00. The upcharge is a good idea what with guests having such close interaction to such expensive machinery. But how many times will the average person visit? Even if your kids love dinosaurs, I don't know that you'll be too happy about paying an extra $20.00 each time you come, even if (/especially if) you're passholders... We'll see, though. We could all be completely wrong. Think of the traveling dinosaur exhibits at zoos. You may do it once or twice with your family, but after that it either moves on or you do. This is going to be long-term, I think. I just doubt that the $5.00 will be. Even a $2.00 upcharge would keep out the "riff-raff" and generate some extra revenue. My thing from the beginning has been, Dinosaurs Alive will be running whether there are fifteen or five-hundred visitors any given day... So I feel a little cheated by paying $5.00 knowing that it would go on with or without my attendance... At what point has the attraction paid for itself for the day, and straight profit is being earned?

But then again, what is it about capitalist systems? Pursuit of profit?

If people pay $5.00, then it will cost $5.00.

If they thought they could get $6.00, they would go for that.

And if the most they can charge to balance the exhibit's operation with income is $2.00, then that's what they'll charge...

Then again, this is the same company who seems oblivious to the notion that if they charged half as much for the food, three times as many people would buy it, resulting in higher revenue and ultimately profit... So maybe it isn't as cut and dry as it seems.

If they charge nothing for it, they will make $0 no matter how many people go through it. If they charge $5, and 1/3 as many people go through it as would have otherwise, that's still more money for them. I don't think they care how many times passholders go through- do they offer discounts on the other upcharges or let them go on free?

You could translate it as "I don't want to spend $5 so I hope it's a failure and they remove it and add a 500foot Intamin."

Or, in my case, "I don't want to spend $5 on it because I'm over the age of 4." But, since the target audience will replace itself every two or three years and little kids tend to like like dinosaurs, I would expect this to last awhile.

Uh oh. I better tell my 7 year old son he isn't supposed to like Dinosaurs.

If they charge nothing for it, they will make $0 no matter how many people go through it. If they charge $5, and 1/3 as many people go through it as would have otherwise, that's still more money for them. I don't think they care how many times passholders go through- do they offer discounts on the other upcharges or let them go on free?

But, but, but....it's $5 per person WITH PARK ADMISSION. (And to GYK, $2 plus park admission is not a whole lot less than $5 plus park admission. Don't make the mistake of thinking this exhibit appeals only to people who were already coming to the park)

If the exhibit draws people to the park that would not otherwise come, the added revenue to the park is a lot more than five dollars per person. There will be quite a few people who will come to Kings Island ONLY because of the dinosaurs and quite a few more who will come more often because of them.

And if it was indeed free (with park admission), if additional people came to the park, the park would not make nothing, but the experience may well be not as pleasant as it otherwise would be.