2011 Park Map Released

bkroz

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The map looks nice and is a nice change. While I thought the park's "it's for rides, not for trees" reply was a little too snippy, I like how functional this version is. There's less "fluff," and it doesn't look exactly like Cedar Point's map, where it appears Mantis, Millennium Force, Top Thrill Dragster, Magnum, Wicked Twister, Raptor, and Mean Streak are all competing to be the tallest coaster on the planet.

But I do have to ask: Why are Racer's trains brown? And how long has Vortex been fluorescent orange?

I don't mind the map at all. I think it looks nice. Yeah it kind of stinks that there are no trees, but we got to think of this as when GP looks at the maps (who have never been to the park before) will just want to see the relation of a ride, say Diamondback to Flying Ace Ariel Chase. I don't really see a big stink coming from the GP that there aren't any trees on the map.

Terpy I am with you, the fact that their isn't a loop on Invertigo is an error. I do wonder as well why The Racer trains are brown. I think that Vortex's track is orange on the map because the rails got painted in 2009. There's a picture floating around here somewhere of Vortex where the rails are glowing orange...so that's my idea as to why it's orange on the map.

Has anyone else noticed that aside from it saying what the building is, the map does not show what Action Theater is playing? I'm assuming what it will be...but just found that interesting.

Not sure if this is a change or if I'm just that oblivious, but in the LOCKERS section of the pamphlet, it says:

Lockers are available for rent and located at the Front Gate, near the entrance to the Viking Fury, near White Water Canyon and Firehawk, and in Boomerang Bay.

Have there always been lockers there?

Not sure if this is a change or if I'm just that oblivious, but in the LOCKERS section of the pamphlet, it says:

Lockers are available for rent and located at the Front Gate, near the entrance to the Viking Fury, near White Water Canyon and Firehawk, and in Boomerang Bay.

I'm not sure how long they have been there, but I know for sure they were there last season.

Nice to see that Vortex is getting repainted orange and racer trains are getting painted brown.

But in all seriousness, where's Dinosaurs Alive?

Dinosaurs Alive will be right where the logo is on the map, behind Racer.

I'm not sure how long they have been there, but I know for sure they were there last season.

Those lockers have been there for a very long time.

And what's with all this uproar about Vortex being orange on the map? The Vortex rails have always been orange, so I don't see how someone would think the map is wrong in that respect. But the missing loop on Invertigo and the extra drop at the end of Adventure Express on the other hand...

My comments:

"...latte's..."

*headdesk* That was there last year too...

And poor WindSeeker. Its entrance area seems to have been put in a blender...

I like how they covered up Launch pad with the "EURO BOBBLES" lettering.

The Crypt's roof looks like something out of my Geometry book...

And finally, at least the water in WWC doesn't look stupid anymore.

i know they where there when i was young'er & rode king cobra.

EDIT:anyone else notice they still hav a pic of the old map as the header of the page?

Are the lockers over by the picnic tables where they were doing photo ops with the Hardcore Midgets last year?

I'm not sure where you're referring since I never saw the the wrestling midgets. My alter-ego and I were otherwise occupied in another area of the park processing meats of questionable origin in a certain house of slaughter.

The lockers are located between Viking Fury and the westernmost entrance to Emporium. In fact, they touch the outside of Emporium. If you look on the park map there is a key in that spot signifying where the lockers are.

Well, I finally get to add a new map to the collection, however I am not sure if I really wanna put it over the one I have on my wall right now, I have never been a big fan of these CF drawn maps. One, Invertigo is missing it's loop, odd. Two, WindSeeker got a 4, which due to the sheer absolute height should have gotten a 5 in my opinion. And 3, it makes us look to much like CP. Okay done ranting, I actually do like the new map somewhat, I would rather have the old design but it is indeed time for something new, glad I finally get to go to the park and see a new map. Does anyone else think that this will be the year that we finally get the big oversized 99 cent maps like CP gives out, with the new design and all?

Edit-Not to keep the rant going, but Viking Fury is depicted very poorly, it makes it appear that the entrance is on the other side of the ride where the exit is.

Let's face it: this map is overflowing with errors like the old one was.

It's just a matter of preference. I think the map is nice enough, and it's lightyears better than Kings Dominion's tangled web of paths, indiscernible ride labels and is-that-a-roller-coaster-or-a-waterslide styling... (Their map, more than any other I've seen, is simply stupid. Just try to find a ride in the Grove area or the Planet Snoopy area... And look at their Backlot Stunt Coaster... If it weren't for the name, I'd swear it was a water slide... And while there's is also devoid of trees, it also has the added benefit of having a nice, tan fence running around its perimeter - something our map only has in the waterpark, thank God).

Again, how many people here actually use a map? Not many. I personally find the Citigraph style to be far, far, far superior as collectors items. To me, those maps are works of art - like an illustrated aerial view of our favorite parks. These Cedar Fair style maps are probably a little superior in terms of navigation (which should really be the primary use of a park map...) but to me, they are no where near as beautiful or visually captivating. Plus, regardless of what Kings Island's Twitter argues, I feel that Flight Deck and The Beast and Adventure Express are being misrepresented when they're drawn without trees... A map is for the attractions? Sure. But is that drawing in Rivertown really representative of The Beast? Does anyone care? These are the questions we'll find the answers to. I, for one, am thinking that the answer is no (on both counts).

Well, I finally get to add a new map to the collection, however I am not sure if I really wanna put it over the one I have on my wall right now, I have never been a big fan of these CF drawn maps. One, Invertigo is missing it's loop, odd. Two, WindSeeker got a 4, which due to the sheer absolute height should have gotten a 5 in my opinion. And 3, it makes us look to much like CP. Okay done ranting, I actually do like the new map somewhat, I would rather have the old design but it is indeed time for something new, glad I finally get to go to the park and see a new map. Does anyone else think that this will be the year that we finally get the big oversized 99 cent maps like CP gives out, with the new design and all?

Edit-Not to keep the rant going, but Viking Fury is depicted very poorly, it makes it appear that the entrance is on the other side of the ride where the exit is.

While I do disagree with some of Cedar Fair's ride ratings, I can see why WindSeeker is only a 4. It doesn't do anything sudden- it's just a 300-foot swing ride. Besides the height, it doesn't have much going for it (at least in thrill levels). I'd rate it a "4" myself. I do, however, disagree with Drop Tower being a 4. Dropping at 65mph from nearly 300 feet up should be a 5. And Adventure Express does not belong in the "Level 5 Thrill Rides" either- it's a "4" at best.

Cedar Fair's ride ratings are weird. Prowler at Worlds of Fun? Only a 4. And Corkscrew at Cedar Point is a 5, simply because it goes upside down? Ugh...I'd change a lot if I were in charge of this. Some GP people get confused by these, as I have seen in real life.

Let's face it: this map is overflowing with errors like the old one was.

It's just a matter of preference. I think the map is nice enough, and it's lightyears better than Kings Dominion's tangled web of paths, indiscernible ride labels and is-that-a-roller-coaster-or-a-waterslide styling... (Their map, more than any other I've seen, is simply stupid. Just try to find a ride in the Grove area or the Planet Snoopy area... And look at their Backlot Stunt Coaster... If it weren't for the name, I'd swear it was a water slide... And while there's is also devoid of trees, it also has the added benefit of having a nice, tan fence running around its perimeter - something our map only has in the waterpark, thank God).

Again, how many people here actually use a map? Not many. I personally find the Citigraph style to be far, far, far superior as collectors items. To me, those maps are works of art - like an illustrated aerial view of our favorite parks. These Cedar Fair style maps are probably a little superior in terms of navigation (which should really be the primary use of a park map...) but to me, they are no where near as beautiful or visually captivating. Plus, regardless of what Kings Island's Twitter argues, I feel that Flight Deck and The Beast and Adventure Express are being misrepresented when they're drawn without trees... A map is for the attractions? Sure. But is that drawing in Rivertown really representative of The Beast? Does anyone care? These are the questions we'll find the answers to. I, for one, am thinking that the answer is no (on both counts).

Their map does remind me somewhat of a Bobsled ride for BLSC. I have never been to KD but if I had to navigate my way around, I would avoid this map at all costs.

One thing I love about the map is the location of Flight Deck. They removed it from the bottom corner and more over to where SOB actually is. It was very annoying when working a concert over at Timberwolf and having people trying to walk through the gates without a ticket because they were just trying to get to Flight Deck. Now it is clearly marked over next to Thunder Alley.

I think it looks really nice and for some reason WindSeeker just sticks out and looks very inviting.

But seriously, the biggest error, the lack of loop on Invertigo. Should it bug me as much as it does? No, probably not. But I just have to wonder how that slipped through...

It slipped through because when proof reading it, Don accidentally covered up this section of the map :D

As discussed, there used to be lockers up against the Emporium wall, but according to this post in a 2010 things that changed thread, they were removed last year.