2011 Park Map Released

bkroz

for some reason it only showed half the map when i loaded it. On a side note looking at the rides info im sure someone else has noticed by now too but just looking at a couple ride pics they have posted at random like Flight of Fear and crypt the pics are way outdated. The crypt one shows 3 rows of seats and fof shows the old over the shoulder restraints. sorry if someone already mentioned this

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Adventure Express gets a fair rating, in a way that the ride does sometimes pick up a lot of speed and can jerk you around at times. The ratings are not based on sheer terror inflicted by looking at it, but the ride experience itself. Which contradicts what I said earlier about the WindSeeker rating, Terpy you are right, I will not judge until I ride it.

I think the map is nice enough, and it's lightyears better than Kings Dominion's tangled web of paths, indiscernible ride labels and is-that-a-roller-coaster-or-a-waterslide styling...

I agree, but I like the Eiffel Tower on KD's map much better than the one on KI's map, which looks rather awkward.

EDIT: Also, the KD map does contain some of those 3-pointed shrubs, it would be nice if we had just a few of them.

To me, the ratings appear silly, but are at the very least consistent. The park notes that "4" rides have "medium to high speeds and/or heights with moderate to rapid braking; riders may encounter unexpected changes in speed, direction and/or elevation." The rating for a "5" reads much the same but adds "aggressive and unexpected forces" and "many unexpected rapid changes in speed..."

Regardless of what you think of The Crypt's cycle, there's no denying that you encounter aggressive, unexpected forces. By definition, that's a 5.

And on WindSeeker, you may encounter unexpected changes in speed, direction, or elevation. And indeed, while WindSeeker is tall, that alone does not make a ride a 5 (although it does appear to have some impact, since The Eiffel Tower is a "2").

By that definition, Adventure Express probably should be a five, as you do experience aggressive and unexpected changes, etc. But you're right that Drop Zone seems to fit the definition of a "5" as well.... Perhaps it's just that, by their nature, many of rides are aggressive and feature many unexpected changes, and so some of the "smoother" 5's get downgraded to 4's. Still I can't believe Drop Zone is a 4. Strange, indeed!

And yet some say:

* Dude, it's a roller coaster!

* Dude, it's a park.

* Dude, it's a restaurant.

* Dude, it's a show.

* Dude, it's an abandoned building.

* Dude, it's a cave.

* Dude, it's a pen.

* Dude, it's The Crypt.

By way of information, those greatly enthused with highway maps, for instance, are known as road geeks...then there are spelunkers, urban explorers, and on an on. One person's mundane is someone else's obsession.

True. I couldn't give a rat's behind about streetcar, and probably about a few other things you find interesting or captivating...

On another hand, did anyone else notice that Diamondback is a nice orange color post-splashdown and back into the station?

By way of information, those greatly enthused with highway maps, for instance, are known as road geeks...then there are spelunkers, urban explorers, and on an on. One person's mundane is someone else's obsession.

Given that, those that are obsessed with park maps could be:

* Park Map Geeks

* Park Map Tree Huggers

* Park Map Crayola Enforcers

* Park Map Size Nazis

* Park Map GPS Lovers

* Park Map Comparitors

* Park Map Tolerance Wizards

I would have to say, all of our examples are not ridiculous in any way. :)

True. I couldn't give a rat's behind about streetcar, and probably about a few other things you find interesting or captivating...

On another hand, did anyone else notice that Diamondback is a nice orange color post-splashdown and back into the station?

I thought I noticed that but thought it was my eyes playing a trick on me! Thanks for making me realize I wasn't crazy :D Haha

First off, I'd just like to say hello to you guys. I've been a 'stalker' for a little while now, but I'm now trying to get myself to post and stuff.

Anyways, as much as there are flaws in the map, I think its just nice to see Kings Island getting a lot of the treatment other Cedar Fair parks get when it comes to maps and such. Stuff like changing the Kings Island logo, the new website look and now the map has made the transition from the Paramount days all but final now. I for one like this above the previous map. The ride drawings look a little more accurate to me, minus the over-sized hills, lack of Invertigo loop, etc. (stuff you guys covered already), and it lets the paths look easier to navigate with the rides more spread out on the drawing. My only thing is that the shows/shops are tiny on the map and even when they get numbered and such, it might be hard to discern what is what.

* Park Map Tree Huggers

Would a tree hugger even like a map knowing that the majority of them cause the downfall of trees?

That is a good question.

What are the Park Map Tree Huggers more concerned with:

-the lack of trees on the map

-or-

- the amount of trees used to make the maps

;)

I thought I noticed that but thought it was my eyes playing a trick on me! Thanks for making me realize I wasn't crazy :D Haha

Well, you may very well be...it's just that your reaction to the map is not evidence of it....

I think Adventure Express gets a fair rating, in a way that the ride does sometimes pick up a lot of speed and can jerk you around at times. The ratings are not based on sheer terror inflicted by looking at it, but the ride experience itself. Which contradicts what I said earlier about the WindSeeker rating, Terpy you are right, I will not judge until I ride it.

The rating system is a little weird, but it does make sense. It's more about safety than thrill factor, I think. No one things that Drop Tower is less thrilling than AE. Well, maybe someone, but the world's a big place.

If I recall correctly, there is a criteria for a higher rating such as:

Changes in speed

Changes in elevation

Sudden drops and turns, etc

Therefore, it's unlikely that someone will look at Drop Tower and think, "If I can take on Adventure Express, I can certainly do this!" However someone who may be sensitive to certain things - like they could get nausious from sudden turns - may be able to handle Drop Tower better than AE, simply because more itemized forces are required of your body on AE than Drop Tower.

I have always related the ratings to the "shock" factor.

With DT, you know exactly what you are getting. With AE, and other coasters, looks can be deceiving. I have heard many people talk on the midways about how coaster "x" does not look that fast.

Ironically, they were talking about MF while walking through the tunnel. :)

Maybe I am off base but concerning the AE rating . . . I took this to mean it is rated 5 under "Family Rides". But if Kings Island had listed it under "Thrill Rides" then it would have recieved a rating of 3 for example. Same as BSC, it is listed under "Family Rides" as a 5 but move it to "Thrill Rides" then maybe it also becomes a 3. Because I would not rate AE and BSC as a 5 to equal the Diamondback or The Beast of all were listed under "Thrill Rides". So if comparing the DT with a rating of 4 under "Thrill Rides" this in my opion would be a higher rating than AE being a 5 under "Family Rides".

This is just how I interpreted the ratings . . . right or wrong.

Maybe I am off base but concerning the AE rating . . . I took this to mean it is rated 5 under "Family Rides". But if Kings Island had listed it under "Thrill Rides" then it would have recieved a rating of 3 for example. Same as BSC, it is listed under "Family Rides" as a 5 but move it to "Thrill Rides" then maybe it also becomes a 3. Because I would not rate AE and BSC as a 5 to equal the Diamondback or The Beast of all were listed under "Thrill Rides". So if comparing the DT with a rating of 4 under "Thrill Rides" this in my opion would be a higher rating than AE being a 5 under "Family Rides".

This is just how I interpreted the ratings . . . right or wrong.

If that were the case, wouldn't some of the quicker kid's rides be a 5? I think that the system assigns the rating based on a set standard and a definition of how quickly and unexpectedly forces are experienced and changed. For Backlot Stunt Coaster, those forces are powerful and aggressive, and they do change quickly. Same with Adventure Express.

Perhaps the scale would be more realistic if it were out of 10. After all, the current system does make it look as though Diamondback is as "thrilling" as Adventure Express and vice versa, while Surf Dog is as thrilling as Drop Zone. If it were out of 10, rides like Drop Zone could be realistically moved to "9," to create a better understanding of their actual thrill level.

That's fine and I really don't care if you have the same interests as me, not to mention that a streetcar isn't really comparable to a park map. However, I was making the point (albeit pretty bluntly) that it's simply a park map and to over critique it as being "visually captivating" or "beautiful" seems to be going a little overboard. This isn't a piece of high art, it's a park map - its purpose is to help guests navigate their way around the park and inform them. I understand that you like them and I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that (I have one of those large Cedar Point maps and a bunch of Astroworld maps from the 70's laying around in a box somewhere), what I'm getting at is that it seems you're being over critical.

These long winded rants comparing it to how it's not as "visually captivating" as the last one is irelavent. The map isn't designed with that purpose - to try and be a more beautiful piece of art than the last. It's designed with a function, to provide information. The merits of it are whether or not it delivers the needed information to a park guest rather than if it's more beautiful.

And yet some say:

* Dude, it's an abandoned building.

And I certainly understand that what some might not find interesting - others find very interesting. However, if I put up photographs in an art gallery of photos taken in an abandoned building and they're critiqued as being less "beautiful" or not as "visually captivating" as previous work or similar work then it's a valid criticism. In terms of a park map, I can see how someone such as GoodYellowKorn may have found the previous one to appear nicer, but we're not talking about a work of art. Yes, there's art involved in the graphic, but that is not the sole purpose of why the map was created.

But I digress, in terms of the ratings that everyone's talking about. I believe on the map (at least the old ones), the ratings were defined. The ratings aren't in place to asses to "thrill" level from a riders standpoint, but to give a guest an idea of what the experience and dynamics of the ride may be. This kind of information is probably particularly helpful to guests that require special access or may have a mobility issue and goes in conjunction with the information posted on the fun and safety guides at the front of the ride entrance.