$51.99

The Interpreter

$51.99

Adult admission, not discounted.

Source: http://news.cincinna...EWS01/104240311

Parking, if the same as KD, will be $12.

Pricing integrity, of course, will be thrown to the wind. $16 OFF by buying online...at least for now.

But wow...$51.99 for a day at Kings Island...

And that's after paying for the gas to get there....

It may be a very interesting year.

Then there's per caps..."People gotta eat," the CEO (and former Chairman) says. I bet even more of them eat in their cars...if they get to the park at all.

$20,000,000+ for the then Chairman and CEO last year.

While the park associates were closely monitored and, if anything, underpaid for the jobs they do.

Yep, something's very not right here.

$20,000,000+ for an operations guy, not a finance guy. Meanwhile, over at Six Flags, the COO makes approximately $800,000+, itself a huge sum, but a trifle by comparison.

I would expect to pay that a day at a much more well known destination park like one of the Disney Parks or even Busch Gardens, but $51.99 for a day at some local kick is way out of proportion. When you could go to the Zoo, Aquarium, or even another local park for less (Stricker's Grove and Cony Island anyone?)

Assuming that the family is extreme about saving money, their budget will go more like this:

2 x $35.99 for discounted adult tickets = $71.98

2 x $31.99 for two children = $63.98

Gas = ~$15-$20

Parking = $12

Breakfast will be eaten at home, lunch will be packed, and dinner will be a stop at McDonald's on the way home. The only food will be soft pretzels as snacks and several drinks throughout the day. Around $20. The gift shop will be avoided.

This puts the daily total for a family at $187. Much more manageable, but considering that every step was taken to save money, it's still crazy when there are much more affordable choices.

In my opinion, the online discount ticket price of $35.99 should be the regular prices. Don't even offer an online discount if you can't make them lower than $35.99. The price of juniors/seniors should be lowered dramatically from $31.99. Only four dollars less? C'mon. $24.99 at least.

On top that, it's been said before that lowering the food prices and increasing the quality of food would increase food revenue, but that ship has sailed before. Parking is another thing that needs a look over. $12 is way to much to park. At least offer reduced parking in a lot that is further away. I'd rather see parking at around $6, but if no one complains, nothing with change.

http://www.KICentral...album=157&pos=1

1 day 2007: $44.95

1 day 2011: $51.99

2 day 2007: $54.95

2 day 2011: $51.99

Hmm. 2 day tickets are actually cheaper now. Go figure.

(for comparison, a Disney ticket in 2007 was apparently $71. Now, it's $82... bigger increase than KI, eh? Haven't seen any horrid comments about Disney's management lately that I recall...)

http://www.KICentral...album=157&pos=1

1 day 2007: $44.95

1 day 2011: $51.99

2 day 2007: $54.95

2 day 2011: $51.99

Hmm. 2 day tickets are actually cheaper now. Go figure.

Which makes you wonder. Perhaps they are fine with loosing that little bit of money on admission because they are confident that they will make it back when you return. The $12 parking charge that they get before you even walk in the park is one way... When they give you a ticket, you come back and pay it again.

EDIT: Then obviously there is the price of food and gifts you are bound to pay by coming in. The second you walk in the park you get your picture taken and are asked to buy it. The park makes the majority of its money off of merchandise, not admission. If they can get you to come back and spend the same amount on merchandise as you did the first time, then they've made up for the money that they've lost by giving you admission.

Couple this with the article I read about states with residents that cannot afford to buy gas NOW. 3 of those states were KY, OH, and IN. Should be an interesting year, especially if Gas hits the prices they are saying they will by June.

I wonder if my local Kroger will still have the $25 tickets?

• Like 1

I strongly suspect a lot of plans will get changed this year. Fewer trips...and paradoxically both closer to home or ONE big destination trip to California or Florida or the like.

If gas prices and unemployment stay the way they appear they are going to, I can't see per caps, attendance, etc., setting records this year...at least not good records.

But see:

http://www.fastcasua...s-raise-or-fold

Couple this with the article I read about states with residents that cannot afford to buy gas NOW. 3 of those states were KY, OH, and IN. Should be an interesting year, especially if Gas hits the prices they are saying they will by June.

mine doesn't. I dought yours well. Sorry. :)

• Like 1

mine doesn't. I dought yours well. Sorry. :)

Don't be, I already renewed our families gold passes for this year :)

We used the cheap to tickets last season to get newbies into the park. My bank still lists discounted tickets.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't the tickets been available for quite some time here? That page has been up for a little bit... I need to purchase a single day ticket as a gift for a friend here in the summer, so I've been checking the prices for a little while.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't the tickets been available for quite some time here? That page has been up for a little bit... I need to purchase a single day ticket as a gift for a friend here in the summer, so I've been checking the prices for a little while.

You aren't wrong, but those prices could change at any time without notice:

Prices and dates are subject to change

$50 is a VERY important psychological barrier for many people (as is $4 for gasoline, the even thousands for the Dow Jones Industrial Average, etc.). The park knows this, and that's why the price ends in .99 (less hard to handle too, now that very few actually pay in cash).

Last year at opening, an undiscounted front gate ticket was $49.99. I submit the difference is a lot more than just two dollars. It's a mind thing.

http://www.KICentral...ndpost&p=370718

Notice that if you buy the 2 day ticket, you can go to the park 2 non-consecutive days.

Or go one day and sell your 2nd day to someone else at a discounted rate. You still get in cheaper. Not that I would do that, as I have a gold pass this year.

I hope they offer some really good discounts this year. With gas prices up and admission prices up= Low attendance this year.

I have been going to Kings Island for 20+ years. I don't think once that I paid full price, I have either received a discount through the Credit Union at work, or discounted from Wendy's or Kroger.

To save money I seem to do what a few of you guys do to say a few dollars, I pack a lunch and also a snack (for later) and I return to my car. I might get one drink during the day, but I go to the drink stands and ask for a free water. If there is one snack I want, I might spend a little for a pretzel or corn dog, but that is just one treat. After I leave the park for the day, I drive down the road a bit and hit a Fast food joint to get twice the food for half the money. Some times that is what it takes without breaking the bank at the Island.

• Like 1

Someone mentioned Coney Island. Ticket prices for pool and rides is $21.95 per person. You can also pick and choose to do only the pool or only the rides. If you go that route, the price is $11.95. Both are unchanged from last season. Parking is $7. If you have someone in your group (say a grandparent), and you are just riding the rides and not going into the pool, the grandparent needs to pay nothing to just walk around the rides side.

Those prices are significantly cheaper than KI! It is truly amazing how fast ticket prices to Kings Island have skyrocketed. Ticket prices were $28.95 in 1996.

• Like 1