Kings Island: What's New?

Coney Islander

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lights on the helicopter work, and the blades spin. Also, they play flight of the valkyries up there too. I like the music touch, it was a pleasant suprise.

ATTENTION TO DETAIL!?!

Do they still play the sounds of the helicopter firing and stuff? And do the flames work? SO PUMPED FOR THIS YEAR!

Most of the signs in Coney have gotten a new coat of paint and some have been relocated-Monster's is now atop the ride-op booth and Dodgems' is to the right of the entrance. Speaking of signs, WindSeeker's sign does not fit the Coney theme, but it looks nice anyway.

The building next to the Flight Commander queue is now an Icee stand.

The Subway in Coney looks like it lost some seating, and some of the shingles have been replaced.

The arcade on the left side of the X-Base pathway now has a Plinko game. Speaking of games, the giant stuffed gorillas have been replaced by Bob Marley bananas.

The Beast's lift hill appears to have some new Saw-esque music. Don't know if this was a perminant change, but the lights in The Beast's second tunnel were on.

The Coca-Cola Oasis' giant bottle has been replaced by two bottle-shaped sheets of plastic with water running down them.

As ParkMake mentioned, Boo Blasters has also got some improvements. The fog effects are working, there are a few new ghosts placed throughout the ride, and the mummy at the beginning doen't float out at you-rather, it tries to, but is blocked my a metal gate.

The lights on the helicopter work, and the blades spin. Also, they play flight of the valkyries up there too. I like the music touch, it was a pleasant suprise.

ATTENTION TO DETAIL!?!

Do they still play the sounds of the helicopter firing and stuff? And do the flames work? SO PUMPED FOR THIS YEAR!

They do. :D

Just got back from a very crowded park, only got to ride two rides but still had fun!

New things:

-As has been said here The Beast's lift has new music, but they also play great music in the queue too, really adds to the anticipation to ride.

-Another thing about The Beast's queue that made me happy in addition to the music is that the two TVs that would always play ESPN are now gone! I was so happy to see them gone. Those gone plus the new music = an awesome Beast queue line experience (Well it at least made the 2 and a half hour wait a little more tolerable ;) )

-New paint in various places around the park, the living Liberty Bell's hanging structure seems has been either fixed or they built a new one which looks very nice.

-Crypt (SPOILERS, but not very detailed, I'll post more details later): (Now I only rode once last year so some of this may not be new if not, I apologize, but here's what I noticed):

Very nice new music score played throughout the queue and into the ride chamber.

The Tomb Raider lamps are used in the cave again (last time I went they only used the red lights under the path)

The new doors are opened by the ride ops manually, but look nice.

More skeletons.

Two new monsters in front of the animatronic bat/demon thing which seemed to be moving and making more noise than last time.

Once you get in the chamber the music continues to play, but once you get the all clear it gets louder, building up the excitement, the ride lights come on and then.................... You're treated to a ride that feels no longer than a minute.

Final consensus on the Crypt: Nice buildup, but the ride needs to be longer!

Sorry about the quality of this post, I'm in a hurry but wanted to share. I'll write a more detailed Trip Report later tonight. :)

-Another thing about The Beast's queue that made me happy in addition to the music is that the two TVs that would always play ESPN are now gone! I was so happy to see them gone. Those gone plus the new music = an awesome Beast queue line experience (Well it at least made the 2 and a half hour wait a little more tolerable ;) )

I thought the same thing. I enjoyed the queue line experience, too! Seriously, the music is awesome.

Final consensus on the Crypt: Nice buildup, but the ride needs to be longer!

All good news, but I agree with your point 100%. I think even having the ride continue and go around once more, followed by one more backwards flip would increase the ride length by 50% and make it seem more 'worth it.' I just can't see how making it do three locked flips instead of two would put that much more strain on the ride... Maybe it would. I'm not qualified to know. But it seems pretty logical to me. Especially since it's not like the ride has some huge line that it needs optimum throughput to make it through. Might as well make it last 30 seconds longer... Still happy about these changes though.

Looking extremely forward to the full report later.

I hope someone took some Crypt queue pictures for me. I am also dying to experience the little new touches on Backlot Stunt Coaster, and to see Coney Mall for myself.

I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but the old Diamondback gift shop next to the splashdown is now a guessing booth.

Out in front of the Crypt and in the old International Street photo booth is a snack place called "Nutty Buddies" or something like that. Somewhat ironically, what seemed to be the most popular items on the menu had nothing to do with nuts.

One thing that was unsurprisingly the same was Tower Gardens. Same old rotting foam rocks, nodescript marble pads, lack of water, weeds growing between the pavers, and overall abandonment.

Yeah. I was also surprised at the fact that The Racer didn't get a paint job, but I guess we would have heard about it before hand. At least Boo Blasters was decent. I got a Master Blaster for the first time in forever. LordSkippy, report the awesomeness that was at the park today.

And I found the plant I was looking for.

Flight Deck also seemed to be playing classical type music in its queue line as well! Overall fun day at the park. Stayed all day long! I`m so glad that the park is open again, and that I got to spend the day with some really great friends.

As mentioned before, Crypt got new manually-powered doors between antechamber and preshow and between preshow and ride chamber. Aside from that, the only visual changes were that the two figures that were across the room now sit on either extreme of The Bat (with strobes turned on them), and their original locations now have-you guessed it-more skeletons. It does look nicer, but it's not so much of a radical change that I wanted to try to get a good picture of it... The lady behind me in line passionately and loudly disproved of most everything anyone around her did. Haha.

The biggest improvement, in my opinion, is the soundtrack. The queue and ride both now use tracks from the Inception score, both of which complement the ride quite nicely. Give me a sec to check on my iPod, and I'll post the exact track names--they're both by Hans Zimmer.

EDIT: Ride cycle: "Dream Is Collapsing" - Hans Zimmer

Queue: I want to say either "We Built Our Own World" or "One Simple Idea" - Hans Zimmer. I'm leaning mostly towards the latter, but I'm not sure.

TombRaiderFTW, now even more glad he decided to buy the Inception score to work by a few months ago!

From Inception?! My, how music licensing never fails to impress me!

GYK, who just today decided to buckle down and learn how to spell "license" and derivations of it. (The two tricky letters, c and s, appear in alphabetical order in the correct spelling - maybe that'll help others!)

EDIT: For those looking:

Hopefully they manage to cut to the "extravagant" part of the soundtrack pretty quickly, since the long is nearly twice as long as the ride. Very nice music though! I can't wait to see how it does on the ride. No more howling wind or animal hooting! Let the joyous news be spread; the jungle animal calls are dead.

Should we also talk about how a Top Spin (especially a well-themed indoor one) would be probably the best possible system for Inception: The Ride? And put the whole thing inside a Vekoma Madhouse a la Alton Tower's HEX and I would probably faint. Think of the twisted skyscrapers revolving around you, and the trees moving onto the ceiling while you flip around. Hahah.

I agree! KI has been lacking a new ride with an excellent lighting package. I mean, think about it, other than the addition of Linus` Launcher in Planet Snoopy, you have to go all the way back to 1986 when Zephyr was installed to find a ride that had a nice lighting package. That`s 25 years! It will certainly be worth a night right, and will be nice to see the ride actually running from all points of the park!

Queue: I want to say either "We Built Our Own World" or "One Simple Idea" - Hans Zimmer. I'm leaning mostly towards the latter, but I'm not sure.

After listening to both I'm about 99.9% that "We Built Our Own World" is the song that plays in the queue.

The new music certainly is quite epic, it's a shame the ride experience doesn't live up to it. As soon as they closed the gates and the music ("Dream is Collapsing") picked up in the ride chamber and the show lights came on as we slowly began to be lifted up I was extremely excited, only to be let down. You go through the short cycle and then the gondola takes a while to line up and once it does and the loading/unloading lights come back on you can just sense the overall disappointment and disbelief that the ride is already over, and most likely a few people will boo. Thew anticipation and right when the ride begins and the music picks up are the best parts of the experience, but the ride itself... not so much.

Also not to forget. but every time the Drop Tower ride begins they play a song to go along with the ride over the intercom really loud. Great song for it and they have this big drum solo in the song and when it ends the ride drops.

Like the Backlot Stunt Coaster, The Crypt is a perfectly enjoyable ride... If you don't wait more than ten minutes for it.

Try waiting an hour and fifteen minutes to see the new ride enhancements, only to get on the ride, it break down, wait 15-20 more minutes and get a ride.

^^ That sounds awesome! Unfortunately I only got to ride two rides today (Beast and Crypt) but both rides both have their own soundtracks. I love the idea of giving each ride its own music, I'm interested to find out what other rides have received this treatment. Kudos to KI!

As mentioned before, Crypt got new manually-powered doors between antechamber and preshow and between preshow and ride chamber. Aside from that, the only visual changes were that the two figures that were across the room now sit on either extreme of The Bat (with strobes turned on them), and their original locations now have-you guessed it-more skeletons. It does look nicer, but it's not so much of a radical change that I wanted to try to get a good picture of it... The lady behind me in line passionately and loudly disproved of most everything anyone around her did. Haha.

The biggest improvement, in my opinion, is the soundtrack. The queue and ride both now use tracks from the Inception score, both of which complement the ride quite nicely. Give me a sec to check on my iPod, and I'll post the exact track names--they're both by Hans Zimmer.

EDIT: Ride cycle: "Dream Is Collapsing" - Hans Zimmer

TombRaiderFTW, now even more glad he decided to buy the Inception score to work by a few months ago!

......you do not know how happy this makes me. I honestly do not care if the ride itself still sucks if the soundtrack to Inception is blaring from all sides. Just the fact that everything's separated from each other (antechamber, preshow, ride chamber) again makes me more giddy than an 8-year-old locked in a Toys-R-Us overnight. But now that the soundtrack to The Crypt is from the movie INCEPTION.....I now know how a 14-year-old girl feels at a Justin Bieber concert.