Sights and Sounds of Opening Day

Jasper

I'm still stunned at the video, a park video I might add. A park video that would include, I am sure, only those practices the park approves. People RUNNING through the admission gates (they also later ran INTO the park and to the rides). Someday someone is going to be badly hurt. Having two security guards bellow out WALK occasionally isn't a way to prudently prevent easily foreseeable injuries.

Kings Dominion doesn't allow this, so it is not a Cedar Fair thing. I can't believe Kings Island even allows this dangerous practice, much less endorses it by including it in a video.

Sigh.

I totally agree Terp. Wal-Mart on Christmas anyone. The worst part for KI is that there is clear precedent.

Obviously, I'm still wising I would have been able to go just worried by that video and the sloppy operations I've read about.

The Interpreter is stunned yet, at the mothership park up north I can't tell you how many times I have seen television specials that incorporate what Cedar Point 'lovingly' refers to as the 'running of the bulls'...

Isolated occurance? Absolutely not...

Condoned event? I'd go so far as to say ... perhaps...

The way they let people run thru the metal dectors yesterday was UN ACCEPTABLE in my opinion, I got ran into from behind and about pushed outta of the way. If someone would to bring something in they would have never known anyway.

The way they let people run thru the metal dectors yesterday was UN ACCEPTABLE in my opinion, I got ran into from behind and about pushed outta of the way. If someone would to bring something in they would have never known anyway.

The metal detectors are not turned on. They only use them on July 4th and Saturday night Haunts.

The metal detectors are not turned on. They only use them on July 4th and Saturday night Haunts.

Uh, really? Because I am certain that I walked through them every time I entered the park, and that they were staffed at all times... If they weren't even turned on, they would all be marked open. But instead, a security guard is stationed at each lane that is open. Why would they waste that payroll unnecessarily? And why would those security guards closely monitor whether or not the metal detectors go off? Is it all part of a grand attempt to make us think they're on?

Is this a new policy this season, and one that they're telling the public about? (And why would they... "Attention visitors to Kings Island: we will only use the metal detectors on July 4, 2011 and October 7, 14, 21, 18 2011 this year. Any other day, you're welcome to bring whatever you want into the park.")

Uh, really? Because I am certain that I walked through them every time I entered the park, and that they were staffed at all times... If they weren't even turned on, they would all be marked open. But instead, a security guard is stationed at each lane that is open. Why would they waste that payroll unnecessarily? And why would those security guards closely monitor whether or not the metal detectors go off? Is it all part of a grand attempt to make us think they're on?

Is this a new policy this season, and one that they're telling the public about? (And why would they... "Attention visitors to Kings Island: we will only use the metal detectors on July 4, 2011 and October 7, 14, 21, 18 2011 this year. Any other day, you're welcome to bring whatever you want into the park.")

either they were off or the strength was turned down as i went thru with my cell, camera, glasses, keys, tripod, & umbrella in my backpack; & i went thru multiple times thru-out the day & not once did it trigger or stop to check my bag. normally one (if not all) of those items set them off.

This has actually been going on pretty much since Cedar Fair took over! They have one security guard per each section of 3 detectors. There's no way that one could

monitor 3 if they were working. If someone walks in and it goes off, and another one next to it goes off, there's no way that one person can take care of that situation.

Other clues to look for is, when you leave, the lights are not turned on, or if you want to check going in, you will find the same thing. Also, the way I personally know is, I

walked in with an I-phone, and camera in my fanny pack, and nothing happened. I walked through on the days that I said above, and ONLY those days did I set off the metal

detectors. I was quite shocked, because I was used to walking through as I always had, but on those specific days, it beeped and I got searched. So, the detectors are not

really on. I wouldn't tell that to GP, because I am sure the whole facade is designed to discourage those would be criminals.

KBF did not have metal detectors last year. Although I hear they are excellent at spotting people with eyeglasses there :P

At the beginning of last year, the metal detectors were definitely working and had staffed security per lane. This changed at some point during the season. I believe they were back on every time I went during haunt. If and/or when they decide to use them again is not really of a concern to me.

I've only visited once when the metal detectors were not used. They had a situation similar to what Raptor guy explained. Probably 1/2 of the time someone in my group forgot something somewhere and set off the metal detectors so I know they were on.

I've heard it said here that they are reducing the frequency and using them intermittently so the public does not know when they will and won't be on. The theory, I assume "We can cut costs and no one will even notice the difference." Actually, I think that is Dick Kinzel's business model.

In their defense though, I could see a good argument for this being wise in a time of economic... "I'm an operations-guy-ness" (I was going to say hardship but that implies a lack of blame).

I believe the Paramount parks all added metal detectors in 2002. The Cedar Fair parks prior to the Paramount merger never had them installed. Obviously, CF decided that they might as well use them since they are already installed. I've never had the impression that they use them with great scrutiny.

I used to maintain those metal detectors, and I guarantee you, they are turned on whenever the park is open. You may not be able to hear them because of the background noise, but they are still working. Security is briefed not to listen for the beeps but to watch the meter above the metal detector. As for enforcing what goes through, I don't know what they are looking for, but I do know that if they are open and manned, they are working.

^Even if they are turned on most of the time it still boggles my mind why only most of the time? Can the park really assess the days they expect someone to try and bring in a weapon? If they are concerned enough to have them why do they choose to throw caution in the wind on such days as opening day?

I must have missed the memo that "nutcases" avoid opening days due to the larger crowds. :rolleyes:

Just 2 days ago we had a shooting in the foodcourt of one of our local malls...and believe me, it is a nice mall.

I dont think they are on. They where only one person up there mid afternoon opening day, they are no way one person can montior 8 dectors or so. I'm sorry, but the Metal Dectors at KI are a JOKE. Carowinds on Opening weekend was a much different story, they were collecting items in the little buckets (keys, cell phone, ETC) and guests where going thru one at a time!

I can only remember a time or two that I didn't empty my pockets. I've been beeped once and my friend has been beeped once. I went 5 or 6 times each of the last 2 years.

Opening day at KD we had some young security guy that took his job WAY too serious :D. My friend almost laughed in his face. It was horrible. We barely kept it together and exploded in laughter once we got away. Of course the paparazzi... I mean photo folks had fun trying to get a pic!

^ From what's been said here, it looks the same as it did last season.

^Even if they are turned on most of the time it still boggles my mind why only most of the time? Can the park really assess the days they expect someone to try and bring in a weapon?

Without getting too political, this is exactly why I have questions about the color-coded "terror alert" Homeland Security Advisory System (which is now being fazed out, by the way). When would it ever be reduced to the green, low-alert status? And in fact, it never was... We can't see the future, so choosing select days to run the metal detectors, or to alternate between yellow and orange terror alert statuses comes across as arbitrary, even if it's not... And the public picks up on that.

Opening day at KD we had some young security guy that took his job WAY too serious :D. My friend almost laughed in his face. It was horrible. We barely kept it together and exploded in laughter once we got away. Of course the paparazzi... I mean photo folks had fun trying to get a pic!

In my experience, I've noticed that Kings Dominion is much, much, much more stringent on security. Their metal detectors are manned by more people, who (at least in my memory of last season) were always dressed appearing to have more authority. And you will not get into the park until you've successfully gotten through the metal detectors and had your bag checked. I have seen people waved through multiple times at Kings Island, and seen bags just briefly glanced into. But part of that is the demographic... As I recall, Paramount's Kings Dominion was considered by many to be unsafe, catering to a crowd that was less than family friendly. Of course, their park draws patrons from Washington, D.C. and Richmond... Two very different cities than Cincinnati and Columbus.

Was that a Paul Blart sort of moment.:P

In my experience, I've noticed that Kings Dominion is much, much, much more stringent on security. Their metal detectors are manned by more people, who (at least in my memory of last season) were always dressed appearing to have more authority. And you will not get into the park until you've successfully gotten through the metal detectors and had your bag checked. I have seen people waved through multiple times at Kings Island, and seen bags just briefly glanced into. But part of that is the demographic... As I recall, Paramount's Kings Dominion was considered by many to be unsafe, catering to a crowd that was less than family friendly. Of course, their park draws patrons from Washington, D.C. and Richmond... Two very different cities than Cincinnati and Columbus.

They are, in fact they had metal detectors back in 1998 (my first visit). It was a very weird experience back then, as no I park I had been to at the time or in the years after had any security at the gate. Fall of 2001 changed that.