Park Background Music

Jeorby Nanpa

I was at opening day last Saturday. It turned into a people-watching day instead of a riding-stuff day, but that's OK. I was reminded how cool the park background music is.

It's always a mix of obscure and feel-good music all day long, mostly mainstream rock tunes (for lack of a better genre description) centering around the 70's. It never fails that I try to remember the songs to make a playlist on the iPod. Or, I'm writing down titles so I can hunt down some songs I don't have. Then, there's that transition about 4:30 or so where we go shooting through the 80's. By 5:30 we're on a more modern playlist with more R&B and rap and I'd be divulging my age to say that I don't recognize a lot of it. Even unfamiliar, the evening music is still very listenable and cool.

Guest Relations (on several occasions) doesn't seem to know who programs that music. Who picks it? Is it a satellite station? Is it the result of years of focus group research? Is it the entertainment department?

Because I'm always so impressed with the selections, I'd love to know who picked them. Inside information would be great... I've heard many guesses so far!

I can't say who picks them, but at least last year, I was quite happy with the selection. It seemed there was enough modern pop music to satisfy us younger kids (I specifically think of Jason Mraz' "I'm Yours," an obvious summer hit but still a clue that whoever does pick the music is smart about it). I've heard reports that this year's music selection was a little more classic rock and country based. Honestly I hope that's not the case. I understand that there's an audience that's being catered to there, but why not play the radio friendly hits of today? Why not Katy Perry's "Teenage Dream" or Lady Gaga's "Just Dance?" Whether it's your cup of tea or not, those are the kinds of songs that are on the airwaves still, and would get people moving (or else they wouldn't stay on the airwaves as long as they have!)

Of course, by starting this topic you've also opened the Pandora's Box wherein we must discuss theme-appropriate music placement... The park's music system is or was wired to play different music in the different themed areas, and many of us here are (to say the least) displeased with the fact that that's not utilized as it once was. There was a time when International Street played grandiose, triumphant movie scores; Oktoberfest played the Glockenspiel; Coney Mall played 1950's jams; Rivertown played country music; and the "hits of today" were played exclusively in Action Zone.

Today, it seems that the only divisions in the sound system are between Boomerang Bay, Planet Snoopy and "everything else." To many of us here, the music that used to be so carefully considered and appropriate added the notion of Kings Island the theme park and, if even subconsciously, we find that the park is missing "something" now that it's gone. Like Disney's Magic Kingdom playing "Step in Time" on Main Street U.S.A. or Islands of Adventure's pounding "

" in Port of Entry, there was a sense of grandeur and building-excitement about the Raiders of the Lost Ark score playing as you entered the park for the first time. Today, that's gone, and some people really have noticed...

But of course, there's also the more positive aspect of park music, with people this year experiencing a little more of that music appropriateness - the Inception soundtrack in The Crypt, Flight of Valkyries on the Stunt Track Coaster, and even a score for Drop Zone, allegedly...

Oh, my. Songs that are on the airwaves? In 2011? My, how you have dated yourself!

Terpy, who, though he doesn't even own an iPod, knows the present state of the radio industry....somehow...(!)....siriusly! But we won't open Pandora's box now, will we? Though I've heard there's an app for that!

I really wish they would play something a little more "fountainworthy" on I street. Even some smooth jazz, or international pop would work better than ancient rock imho. I'd love to hear songs like "Cape Town Love" by Spyro Gyra, or

, or
, or even "Carnival" by the Rippingtons... as I stroll down the main street of our world-famous little park.

:)

I miss the music from the old Taft and Keco days. International music on International Street surely made the best sence. Country in Rivertown. Old rock in Coney, which I believe is what they're currently doing and that's ok. Even Cedar Point plays different genres in different areas. Up in the front section, they play a song called 4th Door by Mannheim Steamroller and that's nice and relaxing. They play country in their Frontier area. So, I'd like to see similar songs like that played in the respective areas of the park. I did enjoy hearing some of the d 80s songs on Saturday. Brought back some great memories of past opening days when I was that young!

Did you just say Katy Perrys Teenage Dream? Bahaha you know what that song is about right?

Do you know what most songs today are about in one way or another?

Just Dance proclaims "What's going on on the floor? I love this record but I can't see straight anymore. What's the name of this club? I can't remember, but it's alright! Just dance!" How about Brittany Spears #1 single, "Hold It Against Me" (need I say more)? Or Katy Perry's "E.T. (Futuristic Lover)" (which I assert should be played on Flight of Fear). And consider that just a few months ago, the #1 and #2 song in this country were "F*** You" and "F***in' Perfect." Really! It's a different time... Maybe that's why Kings Island sticks to the perfectly family-friendly, insinuation-free classic rock soundtrack in the park, right? :wacko:

GYK, who once heard Dr Phil (whose name lacks a period, not unlike Dr Pepper) criticize the possessive, controlling nature of today's teenage relationships by citing the #1 smash hit "You Belong To Me"... Of course, that is not the song's title, and he failed to mention that it was sung by a seventeen year old country singer... The point is, a song can say one thing, mean another, and be understood as neither.

...the music from star trek 6 when they are on the prison planet rura penthe

Well, if anyone ever starts a "You know you're a Trekkie" thread we know who will be posting in it! :lol:

lol im a bit of a movie buff thats one thing i liked about paramount owning the place i could name the movies the themes came from most of the time :-)

^My faves were "Italia" from "The Talented Mr. Ripley" (Gabriel Yared), which worked so perfectly with the scenery of the tower, fountains, shops, and happy guests; "Breakfast Machine" from "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" (Danny Elfman), which had a "go anywhere you want and have crazy fun" cadence to it. Loved the movie themes on I Street!

In reference to gyk's post, I think 'no lyrics' is better than 'questionable lyrics' when it comes to amusement park background ambience, imho.

I've honestly never understood why everyone complains about the music in the park. I think it's great! I don't get why "area specific music" is such a big deal. No matter what song they play, it's never going to make you forget the fact that you're in an amusement park, so why not just play good music that everyone can get some sort of enjoyment out of.

I don't know why but "Ants Marching" by DMB played last year while i was walking by the fountains and it fit perfectly. I love that song now because it reminds me of I-Street. "Don't Dream Its Over" by Crowded House is the same way for me.

I honestly think they should play songs from You're a Good Man Charlie Brown and Snoopy! the Musical in Planet Snoopy.

I agree! I would love to hear Happiness Is.. At KI. That would bring back some wonderful memories!

I don't want to sound picky but the song is actually just called Happiness.

I'm sorry I'm just a really big fan of musical theater and it annoys me when people get the names of songs wrong.

...it annoys me when people get the names of songs wrong.

Working at a record store I have heard countless song titles butchered...but instead of annoying I find it both amusing and sometimes a challenge to figure out what the customer is looking for.

Although not a song title, my all time favorite is when someone came in our store looking for an artist named Vangel Eyes. The customer was in her late 40's/early 50's so we couldn't figure out how she wanted an artist with such an interesting name that we hadn't even heard of. (Keep in mind this is pre-internet days....so easy help was not around.) After several questions we finally figured it out...it was an artist named Vangelis.

Here's who he is!

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to say that the background music is awesome this season. My daughter said ' what up with the scary music for beast?' It really added to her excitement. As well as the music for Drop Tower. Her first ride was met with building anticipation simply due to music...kudos!

• 2 weeks later...

My original post starting this thread suggests that they usually play "oldies" 70's-80's most of the afternoon and somewhere near 4PM toss in some 90's and country and then by 5PM it's pretty much modern era music. I was there on a recent weekday, mostly high school grad classes, and they'd already jumped ahead to the 00's and 10's music which I didn't recognize. Time will tell if they follow the pattern they established last year and if they do I'm going to be more diligent about hunting down who programs the music. Speaker maintenance dude... where do those wires go? To that box? Who is in charge of that box? Right on down the line until I find the person who's dialing in the tunes on a well-stocked iPod.

• 2 weeks later...

Scratch that, they've dumped the "oldies" they play all afternoon. Of course I'm a fan of 70's - 90's music just as you will be a fan of music from your era when you're my age. I miss the oldies and the cool cool mix - so much so that I wrote them using the feedback on visitkingsisland dot com.