Action FX Theater Film Announced

jcgoble3

http://www.visitkingsisland.com/public/news/newsletter/index.cfm?item=174

Launching May 26 on the giant screen (63-feet wide x 27 feet tall) in Action FX Theater at Kings Island, the 10-minute show brings dinosaurs, their behaviors and their ancient environments to life through the use of Dolby 3D glasses on the screen as never before seen – juxtaposing stunningly realistic and scientifically accurate computer generate imagery (CGI). Using state-of-the-art techniques, the filmmakers have created an array of amazingly life-like creatures based on the latest fossil evidence so that audiences can experience these creatures on the giant screen.

Guests will meet and learn about Tarbosaurus (a close relative to Tyrannosaurus Rex), Velociraptors, Protoceratops, Seismosaurus, and more. They will witness dinosaurs locked in mortal combat, nesting in colonies, protecting their young, and facing catastrophic forces of nature. They will also learn which ones traveled in herds, which made nests, which were the predators and which were the hunted and other surprising behaviors in this amazing show.

Dinosaurs Alive! 3D is suitable for all audiences and an exciting film for dinosaur lovers from age 3 to 93.

This is the part I don't like:

Dinosaurs Alive! outdoor attraction and film are not included with general park admission or a 2011 season pass. A separate admission ticket of just $5.00 for the outdoor attraction or just $7.00 for both the outdoor attraction and 3D film is required.

So now not only is FX Theater an upcharge, but it appears that you can't buy it separate from the main Dinosaurs Alive! exhibit. This is not IMO a good move by the park.

EDIT/UPDATE: Disregard note about not being able to buy the movie separate from Dinosaurs Alive! According to http://www.visitkingsisland.com/public/park/dinosaurs_alive/index.cfm, the movie can be purchased separately for $4.00.

Edited by jcgoble3

Wow. Can we just have fun for free? You pay $51.99 to get in (gate price), pay for crazy expensive food, buy souvenirs, get a hotel, and they expect you to pay $7.00 for a darn 10 minute movie and walk through attraction - and you can't even buy separate tickets?

By the way, that was all from the GP's point of view.

Finished with the animatronic dinosaurs? See the computer-generated ones for just a few dollars more!

Totally not a good move. If one side of the theater were showing Spongebob 3D or any other motion-based simulator for free, I'd be okay with this.

But this is irritating not only in that it's a 10 minute documentary, but also in that we have just lost another included-with-admission attraction. It seems senseless, especially since the removed motion base seats could easily be relocated to side B and used to show Spongebob, or the much-more-sensical, much-more-fun Dino Island 3-D.

This just seems like a poor decision... Will those motion seats be scrapped? Gah. Money, money, money, though. It makes the world go 'round. And common sense? Who needs it.

This is mostly disappointing in that there was a very natural, very intelligent decision to be made here - the company who produced Spongebob 3D also produced Dino Island 3D. In minutes, the seats could be reprogrammed and the new film installed. If Dino Island 3D was in side B, accessible from Coney Mall, and this informational film was in side A, accessible only from Dinosaurs Alive!, I could be thrilled.

And for those counting, it will now cost a family of four $28 dollars to experience this new exhibit in full - and they won't have a single soda, souvenir, or snack to show for it...

GYK, who might rather have season nine of Spongebob and the Runaway Pickle than this...

Couldn't even the film be free for season passholders? But then again, something tells me there wouldn't be a full queue for this film even if it was free... So we'll see how long the $2.00 lasts... And how long people will put up with carrying around a park ticket, a movie ticket, a dinosaur exhibit ticket... This isn't a zoo or a science center... People will be riding things, and none too pleased to have three separate tickets for three separate attractions that all cost extra.

Kings Island, a pay-one-price park? Not anymore.

I can count five attractions that require an up-charge, and two that will try to con you for a pair of cardboard spectacles... It's nothing short of thievery. Ask anyone who's paid $1.00 for 3-D glasses on Disaster Transport... And yes, they sell them.

Honestly, when's the last time you saw Action (FX?) Theater not nearly empty.

True. That's what I mean.

An educational film on dinosaurs? At COSI's IMAX screen, sure. At the Great Lakes Science Center's OMNIMAX screen, why not? But on Kings Island's "Action Theater" screen, likely using the same 3-D glasses we've seen for the last nine years at Spongebob 3-D? And it costs extra?

Perhaps I'm underestimating the desire of children to see this film (which will vary depending on how they market it, of course), but I can't imagine a full screening even if the attraction was free. "For just a few dollars extra." That should be the tagline of Kings Island amusement park. Maybe this is a mountain-out-of-a-molehill reaction from me, but an attraction has essentially been downgraded and upcharged. Of course, with a 10 minute runtime, Kings Island is likely assuming they'll play this show continuously through the day, 4 times an hour. We shall see if the ridership warrants that many showings with a $2.00 price tag...

Straight income, my friends.

The vast majority of rides at Kings Island are included with admission. Besides, they were originally planning to close Action Theater in 2009. Also, remember that an upcharge was removed this year... apparently the Eurobobbles are no more.

By the way, I think the 3D glasses might be new. It says Dolby 3D...

http://www.dolby.com...tal-cinema.html

The vast majority of rides at Kings Island are included with admission. Besides, they were originally planning to close Action Theater in 2009. Also, remember that an upcharge was removed this year... apparently the Eurobobbles are no more.

By the way, I think the 3D glasses might be new. It says Dolby 3D...

http://www.dolby.com...tal-cinema.html

Thunder Alley, Dinosaurs Alive, this film, Xtreme Skyflier, and Slingshot are the five I was thinking of.

And I know that there are plenty of included attractions. As I said, it's the fact that a once-free attraction is now being charged for and that, only through what I've read here, it sounds like it won't be an "attraction" of the same caliber as even Spongebob.

Even moreso, it's that that theater has the capability and capacity to continue to show a free film, but is not. Be it Spongebob or something else, there was potential here for the simulator to continue to exist, and to offer one more attraction for guests of Kings Island. They've decided not to utilize that potential for whatever reason.

So what happens when the $2.00 upcharge is too much? What happens when no one's interested in this film anymore, or if they aren't well interested to begin with? Will it remain for eight more seasons like its predecessor? Or will the theater be closed since its motion bases are being removed? These are the questions I ask... I can't say I know the answers, or even that I can speculate...

Again, I'm just saying that showing Escape from Dino Island seemed logical, and I'm totally shocked that they aren't showing it... Instead, they're taking out the motion and adding in a $2.00 fee and basically playing the documentary version of Escape from Dino Island... at a theme park! Of course, I'll reserve judgement of the film itself until I ride see it. But conceptually, the pricing and presence of this film confuse me. That's all that I can fairly say at this point.

I just have to wonder, why speculate that the motion seats will be removed? Sure the release did not mention the seats, but that doesn't mean that they will not be in use. I can picture a struggle between two dinosaurs, and when one falls to the ground, the seats rumble back and forth.

I have to agree that making this an upcharge may be a mistake for the park, I suppose that many will get used to it, just as long as it is helping CF pull out of the realms of debt, and not going into Kinzel's nickel filled pockets. Although, CF isn't really good at balancing consumer spending (cough*high food prices*cough*less spending* cough) .

I think I'd be happier if it were a longer film (I'd have no problem paying $2 extra for a 30min film), or if it was simply included with the $5 for Dinosaurs Alive, but I've been doing some research on how much other venues charge for the film. The ones I've found have IMAX, but here they are

http://www2.fi.edu/t...eater/dinos.php

$9

http://www.mdsci.org...saursalive.html

Seems to be $14?

http://www.sandiego....t/Visitors/7672

"$10-$16"

http://www.moodygard...max_3d_theater/

$10.95 (I don't think this one is IMAX?)

I'm tired of looking at Google, so I'll leave it at that, but I think KI is definitely pricing theirs fairly well (and I know, it's not IMAX at KI, but still...).

On a separate note (or maybe not), two days after Kings Island opens Dinosaurs Alive:

Stomp, crash, and roar your way to COSI this summer as dinosaurs take over the country’s No. 1 science center for families, as voted by Parents magazine. Dinosaurs: Explore. Escape. Survive. features over 10,000 square feet of prehistoric excitement, from moving animatronic dinosaurs, to advanced computer simulators that let you "Be The Dinosaur", to a huge interactive maze.

Read more: http://cosi.org/visitors/exhibits/dinos/#ixzz1Lzxbc0LZ

And yes, they will be showing "Waking the T-Rex 3D" in their 7-story Extreme Screen Theater (which will reopen equipped with brand-new, fully digital projection systems).

A ticket to the exhibit costs $4.50 on top of your COSI admission... Only 90 minutes from Mason, Ohio.... Capitalism is alive and well.

"Hey, remember that attraction that used to be free? It's not anymore."

I don't get the cost structure... is this supposed to be the carrot to entice guests to up for the $7 DA(!) ticket instead of the $5 DA(!) ticket?

I'd love to see their ROI planning... They're (obviously) trying to recoup their investment (these films aren't cheap) by using a fraction of an already finite pool...

You start with the total number of guests, then look at the fraction of guests who opt to pay $5 to see DA(!), and then the smaller fraction of those guests who pay the extra $2 to see the film. :huh:

It may have been far smarter to use the new film as a free attraction to entice people into the $5 Dinosaurs Alive(!) ticket.

Then again, I can imagine a situation where the park was only given the capital to update the film if it were an upcharge.

I think I'd be happier if it were a longer film (I'd have no problem paying $2 extra for a 30min film), or if it was simply included with the $5 for Dinosaurs Alive, but I've been doing some research on how much other venues charge for the film. The ones I've found have IMAX, but here they are

http://www2.fi.edu/t...eater/dinos.php

$9

http://www.mdsci.org...saursalive.html

Seems to be $14?

http://www.sandiego....t/Visitors/7672

"$10-$16"

http://www.moodygard...max_3d_theater/

$10.95 (I don't think this one is IMAX?)

I'm tired of looking at Google, so I'll leave it at that, but I think KI is definitely pricing theirs fairly well (and I know, it's not IMAX at KI, but still...).

And while you make a good point, Kings Island is an amusement park that costs $52.00 to get into. These are zoos or standalone exhibits that generally have a low entrance price, and multiple add-on options. When a family comes to Kings Island, they expect that their $150 - $200 in admission has earned them a full experience. With Dinosaurs Alive, Kings Island politely teases them (as one would expect them to), and then politely requests an additional $30.00.

But this is truly not even worth discussing... If people pay $2.00 for the film, it will cost $2.00. If they don't, it won't.

And if Dinosaurs Alive! costs $7.00 to fully experience come summer 2012 (or even fall 2011), I will be surprised...

On a separate note (or maybe not), two days after Kings Island opens Dinosaurs Alive:

Stomp, crash, and roar your way to COSI this summer as dinosaurs take over the country’s No. 1 science center for families, as voted by Parents magazine. Dinosaurs: Explore. Escape. Survive. features over 10,000 square feet of prehistoric excitement, from moving animatronic dinosaurs, to advanced computer simulators that let you "Be The Dinosaur", to a huge interactive maze.

Read more: http://cosi.org/visitors/exhibits/dinos/#ixzz1Lzxbc0LZ

And yes, they will be showing "Waking the T-Rex 3D" in their 7-story Extreme Screen Theater (which will reopen equipped with brand-new, fully digital projection systems).

A ticket to the exhibit costs $4.50 on top of your COSI admission... Only 90 minutes from Mason, Ohio.... Capitalism is alive and well.

And for those who haven't visited COSI, do it. It's an incredible experience no matter the age.

It may have been far smarter to use the new film as a free attraction to entice people into the $5 Dinosaurs Alive(!) ticket.

This, I think, would've been a smart idea. The path to Action FX Theater could almost certainly have been easily rerouted to be accessible only via Dinosaurs Alive!, and then to exit back into it. This would have made the new film available only to those guests who have entered (and paid for) the exhibit. As is, it seems like it'll be quite a walk to get from Dinosaurs Alive to the dinosaur film, even though they're geographically close. But they could easily have been combined. And like PREMiERdrum mentioned, imagine the bottle neck graph of people willing to pay extra upon extra upon extra to watch it... I can't see the film playing to a full house (but again, I may be wrong... it may be a massive hit! I think it depends on their marketing. 10 minute documentary? No. 3-D posters of giant dinosaurs stomping around? Maybe!)

Dinosaurs Alive - the world's largest animatronic dinosaur park featuring a paleontological dig site playground and a 3-D dinosaur film.

But that's not the case, necessarily. And it can't be truthfully marketed that way, either...

As people have said use both sides of the theatre. But remember that thing in the B side of Action Theatre? Yeah, Urgent Scare. The whole bottom of the theatre is covered and from my one experience on the Hanna Barbara movie that was at the park one year, that side of the theatre is in complete disrepair. The seat's paint was chipped and there were even some torn seats. I can't believe KI is charging for DA and the movie. Yes, I will do it once but I think this may be a mistake for KI. We will have to see in the long run.

But remember that thing in the B side of Action Theatre? Yeah, Urgent Scare. The whole bottom of the theatre is covered and from my one experience on the Hanna Barbara movie that was at the park one year, that side of the theatre is in complete disrepair. The seat's paint was chipped and there were even some torn seats.

If Urgent Scare can be removed from side A of the theater to accommodate Spongebob and this film, why can't side B be cleared out in the same manner? Plus, according to what we're gathering, this new film will likely not have motion... As such, those motion seats previously used on Spongebob are up for grabs, and if the theater is getting a whole new Dolby projection system (which may or may not be the case), then the 3-D projector from side A is free, too...

Lots of speculation in that post, I'll admit. But worth thinking about, or at least hearing from the park.

How I miss 5@5, when someone might've genuinely told us what was happening to the old equipment...

But remember that thing in the B side of Action Theatre? Yeah, Urgent Scare. The whole bottom of the theatre is covered and from my one experience on the Hanna Barbara movie that was at the park one year, that side of the theatre is in complete disrepair. The seat's paint was chipped and there were even some torn seats.

If Urgent Scare can be removed from side A of the theater to accommodate Spongebob and this film, why can't side B be cleared out in the same manner? Plus,

Urgent Scare is completely in Side B + exit hallway, They simply turn off the lights on Side A during that time.

I stand corrected, it appears as though the motion seats are a no-go.

From Kings Island's Facebook page:

Kings Island - Action FX Theater will have new non-motion seating this year. We're very excited about the new Dinosaurs Alive! 3D film. The dinosaurs will appear very life-like through the use of Dolby 3D glasses on the big screen.

Am I the only person that thinks this and Dinosaurs Alive are alienating the newest 'blockbuster' attracton, WindSeeker? WindSeeker and Vortex will literally be the only two attractions at the end of Coney not themed to dinosaurs.

I quite honestly am trying to stop thinking of all the crying children, strollers, and parents berating the staff because they have to pay extra to get into Dinosaurs Alive that will be at the end of Coney this season.

• Like 1

I honestly don't see why there is such an negative attitude about the charge.

People have a choice. If they don't want to pay extra, the park has numerous other things to do that were included with the normal ticket price.

DirecTV has an upcharge for premium movie channels, HD channels, sports channels etc. Airlines have an upcharge for first class. Automobiles have an upcharge for special features. Movie theaters have an upcharge for 3D movies. Cruise lines upcharge for balcony rooms. Hotels upcharge for rooms with a view. The upcharge example are endless.

If KI has overpriced themselves for this attraction, they will soon find out since guests will simply move to a free attraction.

Attractions like this make for a more intresting park, upcharge or not. I would rather have the choice of spending my money than for the park to not offer an attraction like this.

And let's not forget- It's not even open yet. How do any of us know if it is worth the money or not? I can remember when other attractions (i.e. Planet Snoopy, Boo Blasters, DB- (does anyone remember the "pierce the sky" negativity?) Firehawk etc.) were met with similar criticisms.

KI is what it is today by the people in charge. Granted- some decisions were bad (as no business always make the right decisions), but for the most part, the powers that be have made great decisions, and KI is a great park as a result.

The positive, or negative, upcharge for DA & movie will not be truely seen until July at the earliest.