Action FX Theater Film Announced

jcgoble3

Honestly, how many people on this site went to ride Spongebob on their trips to KI? Most of you went to ride DB, or Beast, so why does this news suddenly change your opinion of the park? C'mon guys.

It's nice to have an air conditioned ride where you can just sit down and not have to pay extra for it.

[There are numerous reasons. The # 1 being higher cost to the business (or park in this discussion).

Please explain the difference when they add something like Diamondback and don't make it an upcharge attraction to make up for the undeniable "higher cost to the buisness". I am totally serious...explain to me how the two are different. Both cost money...Diamondback even more...both are NOT low capacity rides...why upcharge for one and not the other.

Return on investment.

People expect rides like DB at KI & DB will be at KI for many years to come (perhaps 30+ years, making the initial pricetag of DB less than $1 million/ year)

Attractions such as DA are at the park for a limited amount of time and add to the park experience, if you choose to partake in it. I would guess DA & movie has a pricetag of $2 million.

^I am not debating Dinosaurs Alive, I understand that because to have the proper experience it would be a low capacity attraction...unlike the 3D movie...which is high capacity.

So, if the 3D dinosaur movie is not considered as good of a movie as the past ones where everyone would enjoy it, why bring it in in the first place...and if it IS as good as the previous ones why charge for it and not the others?

The park claims that DA is going to be around for a long time...so why would the movie be any different?

Has it been announced if KI is actually paying for DA or this movie? It wouldn't surprise me one bit if these attractions are not owned by the park and thus the up-charge.

With that being said, I think KI or the owners of DA is really blowing a perfect marketing opportunity. If the movie was free and hyped up in the park, I could see a lot more people willing to shell out that extra $5 for the walk though. As is stands now, this whole thing feels like nothing more then a money grab.

[There are numerous reasons. The # 1 being higher cost to the business (or park in this discussion).

Please explain the difference when they add something like Diamondback and don't make it an upcharge attraction to make up for the undeniable "higher cost to the buisness". I am totally serious...explain to me how the two are different. Both cost money...Diamondback even more...both are NOT low capacity rides...why upcharge for one and not the other.

Return on investment.

People expect rides like DB at KI & DB will be at KI for many years to come (perhaps 30+ years, making the initial pricetag of DB less than $1 million/ year)

Attractions such as DA are at the park for a limited amount of time and add to the park experience, if you choose to partake in it. I would guess DA & movie has a pricetag of $2 million.

Could it also be a supply/demand issue? If Kings Island wants to control the number of guests going through the attraction (due to limited capacity, safety reasons, etc....) then I see the park having two options 1) charge a fee to reduce demand, or 2) have the attraction free and create long lines and bottleneck crowds. Either way, people will be unhappy. I think KI made the right choice making DA an upcharge.

^I am not debating Dinosaurs Alive, I understand that because to have the proper experience it would be a low capacity attraction...unlike the 3D movie...which is high capacity.

So, if the 3D dinosaur movie is not considered as good of a movie as the past ones where everyone would enjoy it, why bring it in in the first place...and if it IS as good as the previous ones why charge for it and not the others?

The park claims that DA is going to be around for a long time...so why would the movie be any different?

If DA is here longer than 1 year (interpretation of what a long time means can go in many directions) the park will be charged this year as well as charged again however many years to come.

If the 3D movie is not worth it, people will not experience it more than 1 time- which is not what the park wants. But as of right now, we do not know what the movie will be like at all.

What I do know- I am upcharged for 3D movies (usually $2.50), so a $2 charge is not that surprising to me.

DA & 3D movie are not geared for the thrill ride seeker (as many of us are). KI has many guests that ride only a small handful of rides, and are entertained by the other non-ride attractions. It is very possible they will love the choice of DA & movie.

Has it been announced if KI is actually paying for DA or this movie?

I don't believe so, but, DA is a trademarked experience. For KI (or CF) to purchase the animatronics, movie & be allowed to use the DA name & advertising is a stretch.

Could it also be a supply/demand issue? If Kings Island wants to control the number of guests going through the attraction (due to limited capacity, safety reasons, etc....) then I see the park having two options 1) charge a fee to reduce demand, or 2) have the attraction free and create long lines and bottleneck crowds. Either way, people will be unhappy. I think KI made the right choice making DA an upcharge.

That could be it. When I had my business, I charged $1 cover- not to pocket extra $$ but to weed out some of the crap & pay for my extra security.

Some people paid it w/o batting an eye. Others complained. I kindly told them that the bar down the street does not have a cover charge and to have a nice day. :)

If DA is here longer than 1 year (interpretation of what a long time means can go in many directions) the park will be charged this year as well as charged again however many years to come.

I agree...but when the park puts dinosaur prints into the cement I think they think it will be here at least 3-4 years.

What I do know- I am upcharged for 3D movies (usually $2.50), so a $2 charge is not that surprising to me.

So can I assume that since Spongebob was not only 3D, but had motion seats that you WERE surprised it was free!?! :P

So can I assume that since Spongebob was not only 3D, but had motion seats that you WERE surprised it was free!?! :P

Well, given it was SB, I was surprised I watched it without being paid. B)

This is by far the WORST decision Kings Island has ever made in its 40 season history! I don't know who is making these boneheaded decisions, but they need to be fired and

blackballed from ever working in the amusement industry ever again! The whole dinosaur thing is completely out of line and ludicrous! Who in the world goes to amusement

parks to see stupid crap like this? I wouldn't pay 7 cents to see either of these stupid things, much less 7 bucks! And then they won't let you watch the stupid movie for

just 2 bucks, but then say, you can see it for just 2 bucks extra if you pay the 5 to see the rest of the malarky back there! What a stupid idea this is! I am giving

Kings Island a HUGE "SHAME ON YOU" for this! Here is how rotten Kings Island is this year:

Strike 1-They take away my ERT for Diamondback and stab the late Ruth Voss in the back for taking away The Beast ERT/Walkback!

Strike 2-They announce a stupid animatronic dinosaur exhibit that will cost extra, that has no place in an amusement park!

Strike 3-They remove one of the greatest 3D ride experiences that ever existed and replaced it with another upcharge attraction that totally SUCKS!

Kings Island, YOU'RE OUT!

This will be the worst year I've never had at Kings Island now! Thank you, Helbig for RUINING my summer!

Strike 1-They take away my ERT

YOUR ERT?

Maybe they took it away so you'd stop coming if it was yours.

Maybe you'll stop coming here.

Your posts are a joke, right?

Right?

Nope, I am totally SERIOUS! And I am going to come very little this year! I am going to go to

parks that treat me better, like Dollywood and Holiday World. I don't want to go to parks that don't

respect my patronage!

First things first.

I by no means am thrilled as a season pass holder about losing the Action FX Theater as a regular attraction. Did I ride it last year? I don`t believe I did, and I`m sure it has suffered from low ridership over the last few seasons. So it is not really a loss that I am all that upset about. But replacing it with an upcharge movie is what gets me a little upset. Because I essentially "loose" a free ride, and it is replaced with an upcharge. That being said, I agree with many others` who have pointed out that to watch a movie in 3D in the theaters normally adds an extra $2.50 to the experience per person, so $2 seems reasonable.

Secondly, like Dave said, I think had the movie been free with park admission, it might have enticed more people to shell out the money to experience the animatronics. I definitely agree that charging for the movie and the attraction seems like a cash grab (as if paying $4 for a Coca-Cola isn`t enough of a cash grab). Kings Island is definitely spending some money on Dinosaurs Alive! Paving the area with concrete (more expensive than asphalt) and spending the time (which equates to money) to stamp the concrete proves that this will likely not just be a one or two season event. I`d also be surprised if the company that is supplying the animatronics is also not retained to care and maintain the animatronics, since they are the once who built them. So part of their deal maybe to get a cut of the receipts from the attraction, which is why it is an upcharge. I can totally understand that. And as a business, which all amusement parks are, whether or not us enthusiasts want to accept that, it makes economic sense to have some up charge attractions.

Another point is that installing Dinosaurs Alive is the worst decision in park history is a rather opinionated point, don`t you think? I can certainly name several other decisions that have been made over the years (moving the Flying Eagles to Carowinds, cancelling the original Winterfest anyone?) that are far worse than installing an upcharge dinosaur attraction. Remember, Kings Island is a business and they install and spend money on things that they think can bring them extra income. Clearly they felt that they can make money on this attraction for several years. And as other posters have pointed out, even COSI up in Columbus is having a dinosaur exhibit this summer. Dinosaurs always are popular with kids.

As such, as has been stated before, the prime target market of this attraction is generally NOT going to be thrill seekers, teenagers hanging out with friends, or enthusiasts. The target market for this experience is going to be FAMILIES. Families are generally the ones who come to the park and spend money. They are typically the ones that will splurge on things like this, for the chance to create some memories. And $5 isn`t really all that much, considering that at peak times in the summer they charge $15 or $20 to do Skyflyer or Slingshot! Just look at Disney, with some of the enhanced visitor experiences they offer, all for a price. By not charging those extra few dollars for some services (such as the VIP packages that most parks now offer) the parks are leaving potential money on the table, and missing out on possible sources of additional revenue.

If you are unhappy with the direction the park has taken this year, as it seems you are fairly adamant about it, then that is fine. One less person ahead of me in line complaining about every little thing the park does wrong that is not in his best interests or what he thinks the park should do. And how has one person ruined your summer? (I doubt the person you cited even had any impact on the decision to bring said attraction to the park.) And if you are going to let a simple thing like an addition to a park ruin your summer or your day, then you clearly are not a very happy person. In fact, having just watched a customer service video (Pike Place fish market in Seattle) to train all of the new employee`s at Coney, there are some very good messages in the video. "Choose your attitude." You can wake up in the morning and say that your life stinks and that the addition to Kings Island is not what you wanted to see. Or you can say life is great, and while I don`t particularly care for the addition that KI has added this year, it will help them as a business to move forward and install future rides and attractions that I might enjoy.

And then they won't let you watch the stupid movie for just 2 bucks, but then say, you can see it for just 2 bucks extra if you pay the 5 to see the rest of the malarky back there!

I haven't heard anyone use the word malarky in years...that brought a smile to my face. :)

"Choose your attitude." You can wake up in the morning and say that your life stinks

I'd say that too if I worked at Coney. ;):P

Well, I certainly don`t think my life stinks for working down at Coney. I actually enjoy going into work every day I go in down there. I`m just glad it wasn`t my job to clean out Sunlite Pool of all the dead fish after the flood waters receded. Talk about smelling fishy!

Honestly, how many people on this site went to ride Spongebob on their trips to KI? Most of you went to ride DB, or Beast, so why does this news suddenly change your opinion of the park? C'mon guys.

Once my kids found the ride last year, it became a must visit attraction. When we were talking about opening day this year - it was one of the rides they said "let's ride".

It's 7 bucks...lol

Some day, you'll have a family. $7 will turn into $28 for the 4 of you. Your kids will want to go see the dinosaurs/movie more than once so $28 will turn into over $100 pretty quickly. If you have an extra $100 lying around looking for a good cause - count your blessing and look for a charity that can help those less fortunate than you to support.

There is MUCH more to a theme park than just thrill rides you know........

Exactly the point that frustrates me about this. Yet another family friendly attraction that has been removed from the normal admission at Kings Island. This was a ride that I could ride with both of my kids (one over 50", one under 48") - there are not that many of them.

As for those that talk about the business side of this - yes, I understand that things change. My fear with this approach is that it continues a slippery slope of paying for "extra's" (anyone remember when bags, food, pillows, blankets, window seats, etc... were free on airplanes?). What does that have to do with KI - well so far we've begun with:

• New for 2010, 3D effects on Boo Blasters, with an optional $1 charge to see
  • New for 2011, new 3D Dino Movie, with a required $2 fee to watch

Could the following be next?

• New for 2012, improved sound and lighting in Festhaus and the KI Theater and a $2 charge to enter and watch each show
  • New for 2013, upgraded train service to Boomerang Bay for a small $1* fee (*one way)
  • New for 2014, better views from the Eiffel Tower, visible for only $3

OK, so those might be far fetched, but if I'd have told you last year that you'd have to pay $2 ($7) to watch a movie in Action Theater without the motion seats - you might have called that far fetched also.

Another point is that installing Dinosaurs Alive is the worst decision in park history is a rather opinionated point, don`t you think? I can certainly name several other decisions that have been made over the years (moving the Flying Eagles to Carowinds, cancelling the original Winterfest anyone?) that are far worse than installing an upcharge dinosaur attraction. Remember, Kings Island is a business and they install and spend money on things that they think can bring them extra income. Clearly they felt that they can make money on this attraction for several years. And as other posters have pointed out, even COSI up in Columbus is having a dinosaur exhibit this summer. Dinosaurs always are popular with kids.

I will give you this for sure, Robbie. This decision that I am angry about is very comparable to removing the awesome Flying Eagles and definitely canceling Winterfest. The Flying Eagles decision was a former company, though, and I can't gripe about that now. They're gone. I guess Cedar Fair took away the new Winterfest that I spent 13 years trying to get back and finally did in 2005. I talked to them every year since it was canceled in 1993, til 2004, and it finally came back in 2005. Then along came Cedar Fair and canceled it again! So, yes, the dinosaurs is probably NOT the worst decision, but since Cedar Fair, it's VERY CLOSE second worst! In Kings Island history, maybe I will say its 3rd worst.