Action FX Theater Film Announced

jcgoble3

I highly doubt you complaining once a year is what brought back Winterfest.

Even if it did, once it came back - it was unsuccessful from a business standpoint and ceased to exist. Therefore, if your theory is correct and they listened to you, then what did listening to you get them? An unsucessful event. Therefore, I doubt they listen to or even care about you complaining about this.

I highly doubt you complaining once a year is what brought back Winterfest.

Even if it did, once it came back - it was unsuccessful from a business standpoint and ceased to exist. Therefore, if your theory is correct and they listened to you, then what did listening to you get them? An unsucessful event. Therefore, I doubt they listen to or even care about you complaining about this.

I wouldn't say it was complaining. Only suggesting and always making different suggestions about how to do it. And btw, the people who you are referring to that I talked to about it are no longer with Kings Island. NONE of them! So, this is a totally different outfit that is doing this stuff!

I really think this is the beginning of the end for the Action Theater. There was no avoiding it anyway. Both IMAX and motion movies cost a lot of money to license. I doubt they would be charging $2 if it were cheap to get the Dinosaurs movie. The problem is, none of these movies draw enough people. Cedar Point did away with their IMAX a decade ago because there wasn't enough good selection of movies and the movies that there were did not draw enough of a crowd.

KI is simply trying to put something in the theater that is relevant and might draw people. I guess they thought a $2 cost for a related movie was better than anything else. Either way, I don't think it or any other movie will justify keeping the attraction open for long. It's a no win situation.

Pay for a license -> No one watches the movie -> Monetary loss

Here is a thought for people to chew on: What if there is the possibility of this NOT being a iWerks movie (which it isn't,) therefor forcing the park to remove the motion based seats that were based on iWerks original designs? That could explain the motion seats being taken out.

Also, what about the idea that since the park is showing a movie on the screen, in order to obtain the rights to the movie, they had to charge to get into the theatre? I know that one is far fetched, but I'm also not in the film industry as a distributor. That would explain the upcharge.

Am I excusing the parks for a rather horrid decision? Not at all, but I'm giving other options on what the park was facing for the decision. Who knows...

Something needs to be pointed out that I think many people on here have missed:

DA exhibit is "just" 5 dollars by itself

DA3D is "just" 4 dollars by itself

Package price is "just" 7 dollars.

So those of you mad at KI for the new 2 dollar upcharge to see a 10 minute no motion movie, surprise..... it's a 4 dollar upcharge!!!!

If adding a choice is the worst thing KI has done in 40 years....

After reading your posts all these years I know that you are not naive...so when you make a statement like this I wonder if you are not just playing devil's advocate. How in your heart of hearts can you see this as a good choice...to pay for something that has been free for over 15 years? If they had just built the theater this year and it was an upcharge I could see where you are coming from...that is not the case.

I will now play devil's advocate...what if the park threw in some new theming along The Beast and started to upcharge...would you still defend them for giving everyone a choice?

If adding a choice is the worst thing KI has done in 40 years....

After reading your posts all these years I know that you are not naive...so when you make a statement like this I wonder if you are not just playing devil's advocate. How in your heart of hearts can you see this as a good choice...to pay for something that has been free for over 15 years? If they had just built the theater this year and it was an upcharge I could see where you are coming from...that is not the case.

Don't take my statement as support- I never said it was a good choice, but I do understand the upcharge. I also understand that I choose not to spend the money.-

Yet to make such an outlandish statement that this is the worst decision in the park's history, is simply having a closed mind to the actual business that KI is in.

One side of the theatre has had limited use for a number of years, and the other side has had the same offering for 8 years- i.e.- the draw is very limited.

Now we have the choice of both sides- one side for a nominal charge. As of right now, we have lost nothing.

If the park had increased the price of a gate ticket & season passes for DA & 3D movie, that would certainly have been a terrible decision- but that is not the case.

Also when you go to a 3d movie you can keep your 3d glasses. So maybe the upcharge is for the glasses you will now be able to keep.

Every 3D movie I've been to has a box at the exit allowing you to recycle your glasses. Furthermore, it makes absolutely no sense to keep your glasses, as you still have to pay extra for 3D movies regardless of whether or not you have your own glasses. I doubt that KI will let you keep the more expensive 3D glasses. If the upcharge were for the glasses, they'd let you in for free if you already had glasses.

Wow.....just....wow.

I love how our views change so quickly. We hear that KI is building something mysterious we get excited....when we find out what it is and how there will be an up-charge we get tiffed off....then we find out theres going to be a new movie we're excited.....but then we find out there's going to be a charge so again we get tiffed.

I'm sorry but I thought we were a Kings Island fan site. When I joined the site, I joined to be in a community that supported KI and was excited about the park, I didn't join the community to tear KI down. Grant it, the park has made decisions that I'm not fond of but you know what I don't air my dirty laundry out for them to smell it. I've made my complaints known to the park on a personal and respectful basis...some things have changed some haven't. But the big thing is respect.

I think it's time as a community we really look at who we are and why we're here. We need to make a decision on that...are we a fan site or are we here to hang our dirty laundry? There have been multiple people on this site who have told me they have stopped posting often not because of time but because they're tired of stupidity/the negative/the lack of this site being a enthusiast site.

Yes, I understand that an up-charge is asking a little too much, but how many people on here would actually go to either. Most of you it sounds like would rather just go to DB/Beast/any thrill ride. I offer simple advice, if you don't want the up-charge don't go to the attractions, it's as simple as that. If you have kids that want to go to the Dino attractions there's gonna have to be a choice to be made.

I had a family in Columbus tell me that even though they hardly make any money they're going to make a trip to KI to see DA and the DA3D because it's worth it seeing their kids enjoy themselves as well as them enjoying themselves. Not once did they mention how ridiculous it was that the park was charging for both attractions.

/rant.

As for the 3D glasses I don't see guests being able to take them after watching the show. The park would constantly have to order the glasses from what I've gathered by paying for them to see a regular mainstream movie aren't that cheap. I don't see myself touring DA or DA3D....it's not my thing. But I fully support the park in building this attraction and doing something they didn't have to do.

Let's settle this.

1. A silly movie should NOT stop you from having fun at Kings Island.

2. What if it wasn't there at all? This would just make one less piece of entertainment at the park.

3. Sometimes, there's something called money. Don't take it for granted.

4. The park could just have one ride. Would we be complaining? No, because we wouldn't know any difference.

This site should be used for constructive criticism. I write music and always take advice from others. They don't personally attack me or use harsh wording when they don;'t like something. Why can't we do the same thing here?

^Looking back at my ride count from last year, I rode Spongebob two times last year, which is exactly two more times than I will pay to see this new movie. :)

...so why does this news suddenly change your opinion of the park?

I never said this changes my opinion of the park as a whole. KI is still someplace that I love to visit with family & friends, and I will continue to do so. What gets me though, as I said before, is taking a free attraction and replacing it with a lesser upcharged attraction. Sure, I only went to that free attraction twice last year, but my god, it's been there for 8(?) years! I don't watch any 8 year old movie that much, even with motion seats.

And before someone brings up the fact that there are much older attractions in the park, do I not ride those?, I do. I love Monster, SR&R, Racer, etc. But they are not the same as SBSP3D because the main aspect of that is a movie, which gets old after a while.

Is it nice that the park has something new to offer? Yes. There may be plenty of people who will choose to pay to see the movie. I am equally entitled to choose not to pay to see it.

It's all about the perceived dollar value. A 10 minute movie does not, in my mind, warrant spending $6 (or $12) for the family. When a regular movie comes out in the theater in both 2D and 3D, I normally choose the 2D because the upcharge is usually not worth it to me for the "3D Experience". There are exceptions to that, of course. When Avatar and Tron Legacy came out, I did choose 3D for those... Avatar because I heard the 3D effects were amazing (but I ended up not really caring for the movie) and Tron Legacy because, well, I've always liked Tron.

The $5 upcharge for the DA walkthrough is more worth the money in my mind, so I don't really have a problem paying that... once (ok, maybe twice, but if there is a second time it will probably be a month or two after the first time). Had the movie still had the motion seats and/or been longer than 10 minutes like, say, it's full running time of 40 minutes, I would be more inclined to pay for that too. Or I can go to Amazon and for a few dollars more than I would spend at the park, get the full length 3D BluRay for my family to watch multiple times. My house doesn't have motion seats either, so the experience would be the same in that respect (albeit on a much smaller screen).

Thank you, Helbig for RUINING my summer!

You do realize that Don most likely had nothing to do with this decision. He is the park spokesman and does not make every decision regarding the day to day or long term operation of the park. He is simply a messenger, and as the old saying goes, "Don't shoot the messenger!"

I by no means am thrilled as a season pass holder about losing the Action FX Theater as a regular attraction. Did I ride it last year? I don`t believe I did, and I`m sure it has suffered from low ridership over the last few seasons. So it is not really a loss that I am all that upset about. But replacing it with an upcharge movie is what gets me a little upset. Because I essentially "loose" a free ride, and it is replaced with an upcharge. That being said, I agree with many others` who have pointed out that to watch a movie in 3D in the theaters normally adds an extra $2.50 to the experience per person, so $2 seems reasonable.

Secondly, like Dave said, I think had the movie been free with park admission, it might have enticed more people to shell out the money to experience the animatronics. I definitely agree that charging for the movie and the attraction seems like a cash grab (as if paying $4 for a Coca-Cola isn`t enough of a cash grab). Kings Island is definitely spending some money on Dinosaurs Alive! Paving the area with concrete (more expensive than asphalt) and spending the time (which equates to money) to stamp the concrete proves that this will likely not just be a one or two season event. I`d also be surprised if the company that is supplying the animatronics is also not retained to care and maintain the animatronics, since they are the once who built them. So part of their deal maybe to get a cut of the receipts from the attraction, which is why it is an upcharge. I can totally understand that. And as a business, which all amusement parks are, whether or not us enthusiasts want to accept that, it makes economic sense to have some up charge attractions.

Very well said!

Something needs to be pointed out that I think many people on here have missed:

DA exhibit is "just" 5 dollars by itself

DA3D is "just" 4 dollars by itself

Package price is "just" 7 dollars.

So those of you mad at KI for the new 2 dollar upcharge to see a 10 minute no motion movie, surprise..... it's a 4 dollar upcharge!!!!

Thanks for pointing that out. When this discussion started the other day, the $4 upcharge was not listed on KI's website (only the combo price), even as recently as yesterday morning. So this information is new, thank you for finding it for us! :)

Now we have the choice of both sides- one side for a nominal charge. As of right now, we have lost nothing.

But we have lost something... a motion seated theater. There is no mention on KI's site that SBSP3D will be returning (or any motion seated movie for that matter), so I don't see how we still have both sides, especially with Urgent Scare presumably still set up in the right side.

Wow.....just....wow.

I love how our views change so quickly. We hear that KI is building something mysterious we get excited....when we find out what it is and how there will be an up-charge we get tiffed off....then we find out theres going to be a new movie we're excited.....but then we find out there's going to be a charge so again we get tiffed.

I'm sorry but I thought we were a Kings Island fan site. When I joined the site, I joined to be in a community that supported KI and was excited about the park, I didn't join the community to tear KI down. Grant it, the park has made decisions that I'm not fond of but you know what I don't air my dirty laundry out for them to smell it. I've made my complaints known to the park on a personal and respectful basis...some things have changed some haven't. But the big thing is respect.

I think it's time as a community we really look at who we are and why we're here. We need to make a decision on that...are we a fan site or are we here to hang our dirty laundry? There have been multiple people on this site who have told me they have stopped posting often not because of time but because they're tired of stupidity/the negative/the lack of this site being a enthusiast site.

Yes, I understand that an up-charge is asking a little too much, but how many people on here would actually go to either. Most of you it sounds like would rather just go to DB/Beast/any thrill ride. I offer simple advice, if you don't want the up-charge don't go to the attractions, it's as simple as that. If you have kids that want to go to the Dino attractions there's gonna have to be a choice to be made.

I had a family in Columbus tell me that even though they hardly make any money they're going to make a trip to KI to see DA and the DA3D because it's worth it seeing their kids enjoy themselves as well as them enjoying themselves. Not once did they mention how ridiculous it was that the park was charging for both attractions.

You and many others on here know me personally, and you know that I'm generally not a negative person. We know many of the same people who have said that they don't post on here anymore because of the negativity and naivete of some of the posters. To some extent I agree with them, but the way I see it, everything is cyclical. That's why I'm still around. Annoying members come and annoying members go. Some annoying members even stick around long enough to become valued members, once they listen and learn from others here.

We are a King Island fan site, but we are not solely cheerleaders for the park. If the park does something we don't like, we can express those opinions. Sure, there's a lot of negativity concerning this topic, but in general I find far more negativity in people's responses to the park's posts on Facebook. So much that I don't even bother reading the responses people have posted there.

This site should be used for constructive criticism. I write music and always take advice from others. They don't personally attack me or use harsh wording when they don;'t like something. Why can't we do the same thing here?

Agreed. As long as we have intelligent conversation on here, I see no problem in expressing differing opinions.

Sadly, we are not having an intelligent conversation on here.

I disagree, I think several members have made some very intelligent posts in this thread...but yes, there are "stupid" posts sprinkled in between them. (And yes, I am fully aware I am guilty of a few...but I try and lighten the mood every now and then.) :)

Meh, I'll check it out when it opens, and if I like it, I'll do it some more times, and If i don't like it, I'll just forget about it.

As I stated earlier I probably won't check it out...one on the financial end I need to save money for my move and two doesn't appeal to me. If I hear that it's amazing and needed to check out I'll check it out my next visit to the park.

I would like to hear what you think of it though when you check it out!

Wow.....just....wow.

Dissenting points of view are a large part of what makes this site such an interesting read. As long as it doesn't turn into personal attacks or insults, what's wrong with questioning and debating KI's decisions? We're obviously all passionate about KI overall ( we wouldn't be here if we weren't), but voicing what we think are poor decisions helps to vent frustrations. Imagine how much pent up hostility some posters would have if it weren't for these forums?

A mindlessly supportive fansite would get a little boring:

What do you think about DA?..... It's a great idea!!!!..... What do you think about DA?....... I think it's a great idea too.......... What do you think changing Spongebob to DA3D?..... It's great!!!!!......What do you think about it?...... It's great!.... What do you think about KI not opening SOB this year?....... It's great!......What do you think about it?.....I think it's great too!.....What do you think about KI changing ERT from DB/Beast to WindSeeker Vortex?...... I think it's great!..... What do you think about them changing the ERT?..... I think it SUCKS!!!...............Get off our site!!!!!!!!!

...if DA!3D bombs this year for whatever reason, can we finally have a "year-round" Haunt attraction in Action Theater next year? Perhaps even have two separate mazes to go in both sides (either two differently-themed attractions, or two different layouts under one specific theme). I call dibs on renaming it the Phantom Theater and having the mazes be plays or movies you go through (with cameos by the original PT cast in the queue lines before you enter the mazes themselves).

Other than that....meh, probably won't be watching the film if it's only 10 minutes long and I can get it on DVD. I'll just stick to seeing their animatronic counterparts with my own eyes, thank you very much. :P

Let's settle this.

2. What if it wasn't there at all? This would just make one less piece of entertainment at the park.

Well, as far as I am concerned, It's NOT there at all! So, what's happened is to me is, a ride that I loved has been removed and replaced with NOTHING!

I intend to pretend that Action Theater is NOT even back there, and same goes for the other thing they put in back there. So, I get NOTHING!

I agree with you, Gibson. I think I've said it once before. I don't know why people personally attack me. I have never personally attacked anyone on this site. I disagree with them, but

I don't tell them they're idiots or they need to grow up, that's just childish behavior to tell someone that. I am very angry with the park, especially about this Action Theater mess. I know

some on here have various opinions. Some agree that it should not be an upcharge, some are probably not happy with any of it at all, and others are thrilled about it. If you're thrilled

about the new movie in Action theater and plan to patronize it, good for you! I choose not to, and I think its ok to tell the park WHY! I shouldn't be chastised for my beliefs and reasons

for why I don't like the move, and all that.

I intend to pretend that Action Theater is NOT even back there, and same goes for the other thing they put in back there. So, I get NOTHING!

Why pretend it's not even there if it's hard to even SEE the building from the main Coney midway?* :lol:

*And don't say that the sign for AT is visible from the midway, it is irrelevant to this particular discussion and you know it. :P

Spongebob is gone isn't he?

I was wondering the same thing. I assumed Sponge Bob was gone, and we were loosing that attraction. Is there any reason to believe otherwise?

Brown, while it hasn't be said for certain - I believe some reliable persons on this site pointed out that the other side is now completely devoted to the haunt attraction and void of being a theatre. Hence the "free" Spongebob offering is now gone and the one active theatre side is now the new attraction - Dinosaurs Alive 3D.

...if DA!3D bombs this year for whatever reason, can we finally have a "year-round" Haunt attraction in Action Theater next year?

Personally, I hope not. I'm by no means a fan of haunt, but I respect others who enjoy it. When I visit the park that time of the year, I'll admit, I'm there for the rides. However, I think having a "year round" haunt kind of kills the point of haunt being a special seasonal thing. Not to mention (and this is just my opinion) what is with the enthusiasm over things like Urgent Scare? Personally, to me, it seems like something you can experience at numerous other attractions in the region. And speaking as a guy who photographed over 20 different haunted houses for City Beat last October, i think if you've seen one, you've pretty much seen them all.

However, that's just my opinion and I think the same outlook can be applied to DA.

As a passholder, Haunt does not interest me. So I don't usually go to the walkthrough attractions, I have a choice. I realize other people enjoy it, so to each their own. Same with DA. You don't like it, plenty of other things to do.

I agree with you, Gibson. I think I've said it once before. I don't know why people personally attack me. I have never personally attacked anyone on this site. I disagree with them, but

I don't tell them they're idiots or they need to grow up, that's just childish behavior to tell someone that.

No offense, and I know you're a good guy, but you're only inviting it with your flamboyant posts - even going back to the Haunt one. You got pretty personal on that one, maybe not towards anyone directly on here but you did directly criticize haunt guests. If you can't take it, don't dish it out.

If you're angry at the park, professionally express your view to them and if you don't feel you will enjoy an attraction then no one is forcing you to enjoy it. I'm sure there's plenty of other things you'll enjoy.