Action FX Theater Film Announced

jcgoble3

Now we have the choice of both sides- one side for a nominal charge. As of right now, we have lost nothing.

Brown, while it hasn't be said for certain - I believe some reliable persons on this site pointed out that the other side is now completely devoted to the haunt attraction and void of being a theatre. Hence the "free" Spongebob offering is now gone and the one active theatre side is now the new attraction - Dinosaurs Alive 3D.

It was my impression, which could very well be incorrect, both SB & DA3D would be available.

If SB is not available, that would be a disappointment, but certainly not to the level as a select few have taken it.

I do enjoy a good discussion, but the constant beating every single decision the park makes has been getting old for quite some time now. If the only way you can enjoy the park is if they follow your instructions, please don't go since they cannot meet your expectations.

If the horse is dead, why still beat it?

On Kings Island's Facebook, someone posted the following message:

Kings Island... If your going to open a new Action Theater attraction, why not just use the un-used section of the FX theater and keep the spongebob 3D movie? I think the park will be dissappointed with the money made with this one.... and so will the guests

Kings Island replied:

The other side of the theater is set up for one of our most popular Halloween Haunt attractions, Urgent Scare.

So no, Spongebob will not still be shown. Dinosaurs Alive 3D is being shown in "Side A" of the theater, where Spongebob used to be, and Side B will remain closed...

Personally, I don't see why it's that much of an issue to just take a few days to move those props if it would mean a family attraction could stay at the park. But perhaps there's no where else those props could go, so they must be stored in side B, regardless. Still sort of disappointing, though. Feels like a missed opportunity. And like I mentioned, it makes a lot of sense to me for Side A (Dinosaurs Alive 3D) to enter and exit via the Dinosaurs Alive exhibit, and for Side B (Spongebob or something else) to enter and exit via Coney Mall. That would keep those two attractions (one paid, and one free) separate and allow the park to offer two great selections...

Sort of like those present-but-unused props on some of the Paramount-era rides and attractions, it begs the question, "If you have it, and it would help, why not just use it?"

Rocket science, right?

On that note, though, I honestly would think that this was a smart idea if the theater were revamped. Okay, new 3D glasses... But will the theater be getting Dolby HD digital projection to match? In other words, other than the glasses, what will make this 3D picture better than Spongebob visually? Will there be water and wind effects from the ceiling like many 3D theaters used by larger parks? If so, this would be okay with me, because the up-charge would be an attempt to recoup from the cost of renovating the theater, which in turn would pave the way for a wider array of 4D films to be shown in the future...

I'll admit, I see Sesame Street 4D when I go to Busch parks... Not only is it a nice break from the weather, but the image is crisp and there are bubbles, water, wind, air blasts, vibrations, etc. If that were the case, I'd happily give my $2.00 because I'd know it was going towards something thoughtful. But they'd have likely already marketed the bejeezus out of it. Instead, it comes across as a downgrade like I said.

A downgrade with an upcharge.

And while I don't doubt that it's not cheap for the park to pick up a name-brand film, I also imagine that doing a survey or projection asking visitors if they'd pay $4.00 (or even $2.00) for a 10 minute documentary would've yielded a different outcome for this project... But we'll see, right? And as many have said, if people pay $2.00 for this film, it will cost $2.00. And if they don't, it won't. So what's there to worry about?

Diamondback91208_22.jpg

this picture is from 2008 of side b, those seats look like they're in pretty bad shape, plus i feel like i read somewhere on here that all of these motion seats became donors for the ones still being used on side a.

... and is it just me, or is the bottom row of seats completely missing in this picture?

http://www.KICentral.com/photos/albums/userpics/10001/Diamondback91208_22.jpg

this picture is from 2008 of side b, those seats look like they're in pretty bad shape, plus i feel like i read somewhere on here that all of these motion seats became donors for the ones still being used on side a.

... and is it just me, or is the bottom row of seats completely missing in this picture?

But DA 3D doesn't have motion based seats... so why couldn't they just replace those seats with the brand new ones, and keep side A for Sponge Bob?

http://www.KICentral.com/photos/albums/userpics/10001/Diamondback91208_22.jpg

But DA 3D doesn't have motion based seats... so why couldn't they just replace those seats with the brand new ones, and keep side A for Sponge Bob?

Right, that's what I'm saying. Take Urgent Scare out of side B, then take the motion chairs formerly used for Spongebob and put them in Side B where Urgent Scare used to be. That'll leave side B all ready for the return of Spongebob or another motion simulator, and side A emptied out and ready for the new projection(?) and seating needed for Dinosaurs Alive 3D. And it also sets it up perfectly so that side B is accessible from Coney Mall, and side A is accessible from Dinosaurs Alive (which is convenient and logical). Basically, there are two sides, and two films. Assuming there's only one side's worth of motion bases, that's still okay since only one of the movies is motion compatible.

Granted, there's no right answer. If Spongebob 3D were returning this season, we'd all groan and complain about that. Now that it's not returning, we're all going out of our way to complain and imagine how it could've stayed.

...if DA!3D bombs this year for whatever reason, can we finally have a "year-round" Haunt attraction in Action Theater next year?

Personally, I hope not. I'm by no means a fan of haunt, but I respect others who enjoy it. When I visit the park that time of the year, I'll admit, I'm there for the rides. However, I think having a "year round" haunt kind of kills the point of haunt being a special seasonal thing. Not to mention (and this is just my opinion) what is with the enthusiasm over things like Urgent Scare? Personally, to me, it seems like something you can experience at numerous other attractions in the region. And speaking as a guy who photographed over 20 different haunted houses for City Beat last October, i think if you've seen one, you've pretty much seen them all.

However, that's just my opinion and I think the same outlook can be applied to DA.

As a passholder, Haunt does not interest me. So I don't usually go to the walkthrough attractions, I have a choice. I realize other people enjoy it, so to each their own. Same with DA. You don't like it, plenty of other things to do.

The enthusiasm over things like Urgent Scare, and Halloween events in general, is due to the fact that it's another form of adrenaline rush for those looking to get a thrill. In the exact same vein that a vast majority of people here are coaster enthusiasts and find their muse through roller coasters, there are people here that are haunt enthusiasts and find their muse through haunted houses.

And as a counter-argument to your, "if you've seen one, you've pretty much seen them all", comment, I can apply that to every single coaster in the park, at any park in the country. I've ridden The Beast, which is a wooden coaster. So that means I don't need to ride any other wooden coaster ever created simply because, if I've ridden one, I've pretty much ridden them all. Right?

Yes and no. Yes because there are clones of coasters at sister parks with the exact same layout (Invertigo, BLSC, Flight of Fear), and there are coasters that share similar elements and ideas but have a different theme and layout (Griffon vs Sheikra or Alphengeist vs Montu). But also, no because it's an unfair assumption as The Beast gives off a different ride than, say, The Voyage at Holiday World. The Flying Ace is a much different experience for young ones than The Great Pumpkin Coaster.

The exact same can be said for haunted houses. Yes, a vast majority of attractions share the exact same set of themes and ideas (haunted hospital, slaughterhouse, clown maze). But, that can also be considered an unfair assumption as they all have different layouts and different ways of handling scares, as Urgent Scare has a different theme and layout than Trail of Terror. The USS Nightmare takes place on a boat on the Ohio River, whereas The Dent Schoolhouse is in the confines of an old schoolhouse. Coaster enthusiasts will travel hundreds of miles to ride one coaster at one park. Haunt enthusiasts will travel hundreds of miles to walk through one house.

...anyway, now that that rant is over, I guess the only reason why the idea of AT holding a year-round attraction is out there is because AT is so far out of the way from the main park path that it wouldn't interfere with daily amusement park operations.

I say move Urgent Scare to the DA area. Don't know how well that would work though.

Well, here's the problem:

Side B of Action Theater only has two actual rows of available seats (Rows 3 & 4). Two rows, as well as the wheelchair access row, were completely removed to make way for a Haunt attraction (Rows 1 & 2).

Flip-flopping AT's orientation, by way of moving US to Side A and DA!3D to Side B, would mean ripping out the first three rows of seating in side A and reinstalling said same three rows in side B, and I doubt very seriously it would be easy to just use Side A's old rows.

Not to mention Urgent Scare's layout would need be reversed as it would now on the left instead of the right, and an extension would need to be made to the section of the maze that is the exit hallway where you return your glasses (the long hallway after leaving the security room, for those who have been through the attraction).

Too much hassle and extra work to be done when all that's needed is a batch of motionless seats to be installed.

Also, unless I'm mistaken, hasn't the entrance to AT been re-routed to said attraction's exit? See here:

207245_147166775348820_100001664956824_303479_8187158_n.jpg

Unless they re-routed both the queue line and exit of Side A to flow into DA!, then both sides are only accessible from one side. Also, that wouldn't work out as DA!3D is separately charged at $4.00, meaning that it's not mandatory for the rest of DA!.

I don't know a single kid that would want to sit and watch a documentary instead of investing that time in amusement rides. I don't know a single parent who would talk them into it just to pay the upcharge, either.

^If the success of DA falls short of their projections, I don't see them flat out removing such a large investment after a year. I think it's safe to say that this will be around for at least a few years. I would think that they would research different pricing models to see if they can increase the interest in their investment.

Has anyone thought about this only being a temporary thing and that the parks true intentions are to add a new section of rides to the park in the coming years. I could honestly see them just doing this DA as a prep to opening a new ride area.

Has anyone thought about this only being a temporary thing and that the parks true intentions are to add a new section of rides to the park in the coming years. I could honestly see them just doing this DA as a prep to opening a new ride area.

I'm sure many of us have thought about it. I seem to remember it being talked about somewhere on the board. We'll see!

^If the success of DA falls short of their projections, I don't see them flat out removing such a large investment after a year. I think it's safe to say that this will be around for at least a few years. I would think that they would research different pricing models to see if they can increase the interest in their investment.

Knowing CF, a new pricing model would mean $10 to get into DA and $15 for the movie combo.

I don't know a single kid that would want to sit and watch a documentary instead of investing that time in amusement rides. I don't know a single parent who would talk them into it just to pay the upcharge, either.

And it also seems like most kids would much rather watch Sponge Bob 3D instead of a documentary about dinosaurs. Especially without the upcharge. It just doesn't make sense to me!

And it also seems like most kids would much rather watch Sponge Bob 3D instead of a documentary about dinosaurs. Especially without the upcharge. It just doesn't make sense to me!

I dunno, man. A giant paddle-ball made from rubber and wood - ahem, and a staple - coming at you in 3D versus three giant dinosaurs coming at you in 3D? I know it's a CG sponge going up against a CG reptilian, but I think dinosaurs win this round. This is, of course, if DA3D wasn't an upcharge attraction and it still had the motion seats.

Seriously, though. What six-year-old is going to look at the signage at the front of the park detailing an attraction involving being up close and personal with a giant animatronic creature (let alone 55 more) and NOT get absolutely giddy with ADHD-and-caffeine-fueled excitement?

I guess, by replacing SpongeBob SquarePants with creatures irrelevant to today's youth, they're trying to make up for the colossal failure that was replacing Nickelodeon characters with outdated Peanuts characters, also irrelevant to today's youth.

Oh, wait...

Ugh...NO! I strongly dislike this! I'm not to happy with CF owning the former paramount park chain..I and my family would much rather have Spongebob Squarepants and Scooby-Doo back in the park. Sure Peanuts are awesome but some little kids have no CLUE who lucy or linus are.

Have you been to the park lately though? SO many kids love to go up and get pictures with the characters, and their parents are telling them who they all are, and they kids are extremely excited! Then you have the crowd at 18- any age that remembers watching Peanuts specials and what not! Peanuts are for everybody!

^Well at least that means we're getting a new queue! (Provided I understood your post correctly)

I just wonder if the inclusion on non-moving seats replacing the moving ones will be part of it...

Seems like a big investment as far as labor goes to do that though. I think this is an all around terrible move on the part of the park owners. Why not keep 1 side of the theater for just the DA3d and the other side with a normal moving movie ride?

Seems like a big investment as far as labor goes to do that though. I think this is an all around terrible move on the part of the park owners. Why not keep 1 side of the theater for just the DA3d and the other side with a normal moving movie ride?

They can't do that because the other side is being used for Urgent Scare, one the haunted mazes at Halloween Haunt.