Action FX Theater Film Announced

jcgoble3

One thing is (so far) certain: Canada's Wonderland's film will be a $1 upcharge when added on to the Dinosaurs Alive exhibit ticket.

The impression I got in the park last season is that the $2.00 add-on (much less the $4.00 single ticket) went over pretty poorly. If that's to be believed, then perhaps KD is trying out a free film and Wonderland is trying out a $1.00 ticket so that the parks can adjust in future years to what they believe customers will pay.

I've made the case since the beginning that that dinosaur film wouldn't play to a full house even if it were free. At Kings Dominion at least, we'll find out if I was right or not...

Darn. Thought this was a new topic about a new film at Action FX Theater here at Kings Island. Sigh. Thanks for disappointing me.

You see what high expectations will get ya......?

;)

But, it is a NEW film, is it not? I never paid to see it last year so I'm not entirely sure, but the title is "New for 2012!..." AND it is now free.

The impression I got in the park last season is that the $2.00 add-on (much less the $4.00 single ticket) went over pretty poorly.ominion at least, we'll find out if I was right or not...

Apparently not so poorly after all...

At Kings Island, it remains $5.00 for Dinosaurs Alive! and $2 for the 3-D film.

At Kings Island, it remains $5.00 for Dinosaurs Alive! and $2 for the 3-D film.

Where's the dislike button? We need a dislike button for this post.

Not sure I totally understand? It did not go up and we got the factual info from the park. I rather liked that we got accurate information!

• Like 1

What I have never understood, was why the charge. I mean, it cost around 1 million, right? Yeah, that is a lot of money, but not nearly as much to Diamondback with cost 23 mil. Why an up charge on something that cost very little and not for something that cost over 20 million?

My guess is that history kind of dictates that the coaster will be included in the cost of a ticket, while DA can be passed along as an upcharge experience. Have they ever announced the long term plans for DA? My hope is that they will expand behind SoB or X-Base and have some sort of Dino land with those interspearsed around a new set of rides/attractions and walkways.

If I had to take a guess about why DA! is an upcharge, I come two two conclusions. One, and very obviously, is revenue. With the addition of other DA! this year at different parks, I'm going to take a gander that the expansion made a killing for KI.

My second conclusion is it provides a limited clientele that is paying to enjoy the experience, which creates for a more enjoyable environment, especially where large animatronic creatures are involved.

What I have never understood, was why the charge. I mean, it cost around 1 million, right? Yeah, that is a lot of money, but not nearly as much to Diamondback with cost 23 mil. Why an up charge on something that cost very little and not for something that cost over 20 million?

Many visit KI (or any amusement park) expecting rides like DB.

Attractions like DA are unique, thus the extra charge.

Is it right to have attractions at a park with an upcharge? That is up for debate. Do attractions like DA & movie make KI more attractive for many guests? I cannot think of a reason why they don't.

The upcharge is a choice. For some, it is not worth it. For others, it is. One thing is certain; if it was not worth it for the park last year, CF would not be adding DA to other parks this year.

What I have never understood, was why the charge.

I don't think the dinosaurs were manufactured to work constantly...the majority of them are activated by pushing a button...and even then only after so much time elapses between activity. If my nephews are the rule of thumb, part of the "thrill" of DA is pushing the buttons to make the dinosaurs come to life...if it were not an upcharge it would be way to crowded for most of the kids to get a chance to push the buttons. (Much like one kid will monopolize one of the firehose type sprayers in Boomerang Bay.)

I also think it is an upcharge to cut down on the likelihood of vandalism...if eveyone who was just bored could wander through I think the odds are greater that the dinosaurs would be "messed with". A lighter crowd means that the park can have less security.

• Like 3

Or why not make it free, advertise that it's air conditioned and give people a glimpse of what they can see at Dinosaurs Alive? Promote the attraction through a free movie.

• Like 3

Or why not make it free, advertise that it's air conditioned and give people a glimpse of what they can see at Dinosaurs Alive? Promote the attraction through a free movie.

Bingo. This is why the movie should be free. Give people a chance to get out of the summer heat for 10 minutes while at the same time promoting the outdoor trail. People that otherwise wouldn't have paid for either might relax with the movie, then decide, "Hey, this is more interesting than I thought, let's hit the trail." I bet that they would make more money off of DA! if the movie were free than they would with the current upcharge.

Bingo. This is why the movie should be free. Give people a chance to get out of the summer heat for 10 minutes while at the same time promoting the outdoor trail.

So give people a free "cool down" to promote an attraction they have to pay more for as well as get back into the heat they were trying to escape?

I'm not too sure about that spin.

We'd often go check out the yellow sponge chasing a pickle to get out of the heat for a little bit..... Then, after we watched the cleaning crew in the Festhaus, we'd go see the Spongebob movie!

It's a shame they don't offer the movie as a 20+ minute promo/commercial for the attraction.

Isn't it the same movie Best Buy sells?

• Like 2

Bingo. This is why the movie should be free. Give people a chance to get out of the summer heat for 10 minutes while at the same time promoting the outdoor trail.

So give people a free "cool down" to promote an attraction they have to pay more for as well as get back into the heat they were trying to escape?

I'm not too sure about that spin.

Moral of the story: complainers gonna complain.

I for one would love to see the "experience" to start at the movie, get some background behind dinosaurs, then have an exit out of the theater and make an entrance to the Dinosaurs Alive! Path - that way, everything is together and it would all cost $5. Kind of like how Disney has pre shows, the DA! 3D would be the preshow and then you walk the path...and possibly make a pathway to the gift shop like many of Disney's rides.

• Like 1