Holiday World TR 5-21-11

beastrider97

Yesterday we had our first ever trip to Holiday World. My dad, brother, and I had an amazing time and rode almost everything there multiple times. I'm going to go through every ride we rode and give my rating and a "review".

The Raven: Rode: 3 times

Our first ride we rode was the Raven. We waited 20 minutes for our first ride and rode in the front seat. Overall, I wasn't very impressed. I found it fun but not as intense or exciting as The Beast or even The Racer. We later rode it 2 more times at closing. We rode in the back and it was a little better but still a disappointment.

Rating: 6/10

Frightful Falls: Rode: 1 time

Our second ride of the day was Frightful Falls and I found it to be one of my favorite log flumes. While it wasn't themed, there was a long, dark tunnel with a little dip and another little dip along the way to the final drop. The final drop was better than RFYLCB but you still don't get very wet.

Rating: 6/10

The Legend: Rode: 4 times

I've heard that this was the worst of the 3 coasters at the park and I found it very good. It was pretty smooth in the front and back and provided a good thrill. The one disappointment is that the double helix doesn't even compare to Beast's. But it is actually up there for my favorite wooden coasters.

Rating 8/10

Revolution: Rode: 2 times

Since I'm pretty young I've never actually seen one of these classic rides. After learning that they had one I knew I had to ride it. The Revolution was very fun and I actually think it's one of my favorite flat rides.

Rating: 8/10

Eagles Flight: Rode: 1 time

I had to ride this for the nostalgia feeling from our old Flying Eagle's ride. It was pretty good but I remember our's being better.

7/10

Liberty Launch: Rode: 2 times

As a much smaller model of the Launch side of Power Tower it was fun but not as thrilling. At the top you do get yanked off your seat for a great amount of airtime. Overall though, it felt more like the child of Power Tower.

Rating: 7/10

The Voyage: Rode: 11 times

Having heard that this ride was better than Beast and being voted the #1 wooden coaster in the world I was naturally excited. But I had also heard that it was rough. We got in line and for the whole day it was a walk on. We first rode in the very back. As we crept up the hill I felt excitement building up in me. As we were whipped down the hill I had a crazy amount of airtime almost like DB. When we hit the bottom my whole body was jolted around and at first I found it surprising but not really "rough". As we went over every hill through the tunnels I knew that this would be better than Beast. As we whipped around the turns in the back I couldn't believe how intense this ride was. I was surprised as it was the most intense ride I've ever ridden, even more intense than most steel coasters. Then we stopped at the brake run for the most surprising part of the ride, the triple down. As we went down the first 2 parts of it I had no idea what was to come. All of a sudden it had the most surprising drop of any ride. It actually made me yelp! After that the rest of the ride was a great mix of small hills and sharp turns. Then the brake run. My immediate reaction was of astonishment. I still can't believe how intense and amazing that ride is. I bet that The Voyage pushes the body to its limits. Me and my brother rode it another time as my dad said it was to hard on his body, but he said he liked it. Then after the second ride my brother didn't want to go again as it gave him a headache. I rode it one more time alone and came back later which will be written about soon.

Rating: 11/10

Gobbler's Getaway: Rode: 1 time

Most of the time I don't like dark rides with stupid themes and this was true to that statement. While it wasn't as bad as the Reese's Challenge ride at Hershey, I still didn't like it.

Rating: 2/10

Pilgrim's Plunge: Rode: 5 times

I was actually really excited about this ride. As the world's tallest water ride it seemed awesome. The biggest problem I've had with this and Shoot the Rapids, which are both Intamin, is how they have to balance the boats. If there are only 6 people, you have to sit in rows 1,3,and 5. I wish the boats were designed to accommodate smaller loads to have the row of their choice. When you get to the elevator system you are lifted quickly to the top and tilt along the way which is a weird feeling like you're about to slide off. When you get to the top the drop is actually really fast and fun. Then you hit the water at the bottom and slow down a ton then you hit the splash... which is disappointing. You actually don't get soaked which is surprising for a water ride of that side. My little brother loved it though so we rode it a couple more times.

Because we had already done most of the regular park and it wasn't even 1 o'clock we went to the waterpark. First we headed to Wildebeast.

Wildebeast: Rode: 1 time

We got in line for our longest wait of the day. About 30 minutes. When we got on we slowly got to the top and I was surprised. While the layout is fun, you don't get very wet.

Overall, the rest of the waterpark was very nice but there was no other really highlighting rides in there.

Waterpark rating: 9/10

We also got some food there which was cheap and decent. Sadly, it was stuff that you can get at other parks because we never stopped at one of their real food stops.

Later we rode The Legend 3 more times, Revolution once, Liberty Launch once, then we split up because I was the only one who wanted to ride Voyage again. When I went back the line was still a walk up to the station with one or two train waits in all seats except the front. I ended up riding it 1 time with my brother before we split up. Then I spent about 30 minutes and rode it 5 more times by myself, then 2 with my brother again. What I found surprising was at all the wooden coasters if you were by yourself they would buckle the other lapbar down which I've never seen before.

Overall this was one of the nicest parks I've ever been to. Everyone was nice and the park was extremely clean. I wish that I had the chance to meet Will Koch to tell him that he has created one of the finest parks in the world. If you get a chance to go here, I highly recommend it.

Great report. Still, though, please understand that as great of an influence that Will was on the park, it is his mother, Pat, and her late husband, Will's father, who deserve the lion's share of credit for making Holiday World the park it is today. The place has long been a family park in every sense of the word.

To give Will all the credit for what it is today is a disservice to Pat, her late husband, his late brother and the rest of the family. Pat, saint that she is would not mind, but it is best to honor all those who contributed to making the park what it is today.

And you must have caught Raven on an off day....

Yes I did word that last part wrong. I meant that I wish that Will was alive, including Will, so that I could tell them that I loved their park. I did say to Pat yesterday morning that I have heard great things about the park and was very excited. Sorry for not giving them credit in my original post.

It's fine...That woman was and is instrumental to that park. She's the real deal, a caring, assertive, forceful advocate for the park, for what is right, for the customer and for the Holiday World family. She's not only the model businesswoman, and was long before most thought that possible, but a former nun, a Methodist minister, a great mother, a caring boss, a role model, and yes, she can be a stern taskmaster. I am honored to know her and admire her very much.

I to was at Holiday World yesterday!! man was it HOTTT!! all 3 coasters were running Great Voyage a little rough but its still my number 1 wood. Glad you had a great time! im surprised you didnt go over to the water park and ride Wildebeest it was a walk on all day!!

my ride count for yesterday

Raven 26

Legend 28

Voyage 32

Wildebeest 5

Pilgrim's Plunge 5

as you can tell the park was empty!!

im surprised you didnt go over to the water park and ride Wildebeest it was a walk on all day!!

He did:

Because we had already done most of the regular park and it wasn't even 1 o'clock we went to the waterpark. First we headed to Wildebeast.

Wildebeast: Rode: 1 time

We got in line for our longest wait of the day. About 30 minutes. When we got on we slowly got to the top and I was surprised. While the layout is fun, you don't get very wet.

Since when is Frightful Falls not themed? As I recall, you dispatch into a creepy pitch-black tunnel, and then you pass around some gravestones. Granted it's not much, but I'll take what I can get :)

Since when is Frightful Falls not themed? As I recall, you dispatch into a creepy pitch-black tunnel, and then you pass around some gravestones. Granted it's not much, but I'll take what I can get :)

I don't remember there being any gravestones, but maybe I was admiring the other things too much while riding it :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad you had a great time at Holiday World. It's one of my favorite parks. I usually only go there once a year on their opening day, but this year I'm going five times, the next being tomorrow and Saturday for Holiwood Nights. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't care for Raven, I love flying through the woods and skimming over the lake. All three of their wood coasters are on my Top 10 Wood list.

As far as Frightful Falls, I rode it on opening day (May 7th) and I don't remember seeing any tombstones. I plan on riding it again either this Saturday or June 20th, so I'll try to remember to see if they're there.

I to was at Holiday World yesterday!! man was it HOTTT!! all 3 coasters were running Great Voyage a little rough but its still my number 1 wood. Glad you had a great time! im surprised you didnt go over to the water park and ride Wildebeest it was a walk on all day!!

my ride count for yesterday

Raven 26

Legend 28

Voyage 32

Wildebeest 5

Pilgrim's Plunge 5

as you can tell the park was empty!!

I'm having a hard time believing these ride counts........