Why couldn't I ride Vortex?

Kawana

Did Vortex's seat belts get shortened? I ask because I rode all last season without incident, but as I attempted to ride in 5-1 on Sunday the 22nd, I could not get the belt to reach. I was hoping the checker would help me out and give me that last click, but he immediately said "I need you to exit the train." What gives??? I'm sure that one more click would have done it for me, but the checker had no interest at all. I was not pleased to say the least.

In the past ride ops have been told that they can not assist a guest in getting that last click...they either fit or they don't. That may have been what happened here.

That sucks. I know I've been helped before on FoF, Racer & Beast (that infamous "I just need to get one more click" from the ride op), even as recently as this past Sunday. Not sure why Vortex would be any different, besides it possibly being because of the OTSR's.

I have never had an issues on Vortex but I personnally believe not all the seat belts are not the same length. I have had times in the past that I did not think I was going to get it buckled and in the same day I had no issues.

Did Vortex's seat belts get shortened? I ask because I rode all last season without incident, but as I attempted to ride in 5-1 on Sunday the 22nd, I could not get the belt to reach. I was hoping the checker would help me out and give me that last click, but he immediately said "I need you to exit the train." What gives??? I'm sure that one more click would have done it for me, but the checker had no interest at all. I was not pleased to say the least.

May I ask your height and weight?

I am 6'4" 240lb. I was 260 last summer and had plenty of room.

If you don't want to answer my question, I respect your reasons. I do not want to disrespect you.

Thanks

In the past ride ops have been told that they can not assist a guest in getting that last click...they either fit or they don't. That may have been what happened here.

Well, that's just silly. Considering how tight a fit many rides are for people with long legs or big frames, if I didn't have some help from the ride ops I wouldn't be able to ride almost anything. And yes, I could stand to lose a few pounds but even when I do, I'm still going to have long legs and its still going to be a problem on The Beast, FoF, and BLSC. All ride ops have been extremely sensitive and kind and determined to make sure I can ride and I thank them for that!

I have a tight fit on any ride with an OTSR. I'm not exceptionally large (5'11" 200#) and I don't have (much of) a gut nor am I extraordinarily muscular but the combination of my torso length/shoulder size/chest size means that that OTSRs are always cozy for me. For some reason, Invertigo has a really bad fit for me for some reason with it very tight on my shoulders but lots of space in front of my stomach. Lap bars or Diamondback restraints are no problem.

It's too bad those seatbelts were added in the first place. Arrow loopers all over the world at non Cedar Fair parks have run without seatbelts for over 30 years in some cases. All they do is slow down loading and prevent larger guests from riding. If it wasn't for those seatbelts, Arrow loopers are usually one of the most larger rider friendly coaster types.

Yep and those seat belts showed up on Vortex and Flight Deck in 2008, I think that is when Adventure Express got seat belts too. Cedar Fair is the Seat Belt capital of the world!

Don't forget the seat belts on Backlot Stunt Coaster (which were added when the car's fake doors were removed - the doors, after all, counted as a redundant safety feature, and Cedar Fair seems to require at least two on every roller coaster... Really! Think about it!)

Rides Associates are allowed to assist a guest in getting that last click. Trust me, I do it every day.

Rides Associates are allowed to assist a guest in getting that last click. Trust me, I do it every day.

Yes, I most defiantly trust you. :)

If you don't want to answer my question, I respect your reasons. I do not want to disrespect you.

Thanks

I'm 6'5" and 300+, but I didn't think I got that much bigger than last season, in fact I felt like I lost some weight. I'm not trying to pass the buck at all, I was just wondering if the winter weight + a seatbelt issue led to my WOS. I really thought it was weird that he wouldn't help because at Diamondback, the checker helped me get that one last click earlier in the day... Very inconsistent, but I guess that's the order of the day at Kings Island.

Thanks

I'm 6'5" and 300+, but I didn't think I got that much bigger than last season, in fact I felt like I lost some weight. I'm not trying to pass the buck at all, I was just wondering if the winter weight + a seatbelt issue led to my WOS. I really thought it was weird that he wouldn't help because at Diamondback, the checker helped me get that one last click earlier in the day... Very inconsistent, but I guess that's the order of the day at Kings Island.

We are talking about ride ops? I am sometimes stopped from riding Delirium, as I mentioned I am 6' 4" and on two separate occasions the ride op- stopped me and measured me and would NOT let me on. I stated that I already rode that day without any problems. With my height I am at the correct "length" (height) for the ride. Why is there a problem? I know, maybe this is a whole different topic!! but, what gives?

As one who has not been in your specific situations I do understand you guys frustration. My daughter rode White Water Canyon (her favorite then) for a couple years during the Paramount years and then when Cedar Fair took over they changed the height requirement. It took her a year to grow those couple inches, when we inquired about the change they said it was due to safety which lead to the next question of "so was it unsafe for her to ride before...?). I share my story as to try show you that I do in some way understand your frustration. So with that said please understand that the employees did do their job and that is tough for them to do knowing they will disappoint a guest but safety is at times discretionary and up to the ride operators to make. Just like Cedar Fair felt more comfortable for their guests safety by raising the height requirements on some rides it is also up to the ride operators to decide on a fly if they can help a guest get that last click in. I mean many factors weigh in here and may be due to a time issue in needing to dispatch quickly

What worries me here is that if there is a out-cry for more consistency on rides it will not go in favor of the border line riders. I mean if they were to make it a policy one way or another with no discretion for consistency reasons. I am all but certain it will be a rule to instruct ride operators to not assist in any way of the last click in fear of liability. I guess what I am saying is yes it is frustrating but be more happy for the ride operators who assisted you versus being more upset with the ones who did their job but did not go that extra click. Good Luck Guys

As one who has not been in your specific situations I do understand you guys frustration. My daughter rode White Water Canyon (her favorite then) for a couple years during the Paramount years and then when Cedar Fair took over they changed the height requirement. It took her a year to grow those couple inches, when we inquired about the change they said it was due to safety which lead to the next question of "so was it unsafe for her to ride before...?). I share my story as to try show you that I do in some way understand your frustration. So with that said please understand that the employees did do their job and that is tough for them to do knowing they will disappoint a guest but safety is at times discretionary and up to the ride operators to make. Just like Cedar Fair felt more comfortable for their guests safety by raising the height requirements on some rides it is also up to the ride operators to decide on a fly if they can help a guest get that last click in. I mean many factors weigh in here and may be due to a time issue in needing to dispatch quickly

What worries me here is that if there is a out-cry for more consistency on rides it will not go in favor of the border line riders. I mean if they were to make it a policy one way or another with no discretion for consistency reasons. I am all but certain it will be a rule to instruct ride operators to not assist in any way of the last click in fear of liability. I guess what I am saying is yes it is frustrating but be more happy for the ride operators who assisted you versus being more upset with the ones who did their job but did not go that extra click. Good Luck Guys

I understand your points but also know that on this particular day, it had rained twice, and the train was nowhere near being full. He could have easily taken that extra 2 seconds to help me out.

I'm not only calling for consistency in terms of ride ops, but in terms of everything in the park. There have been numerous occasions where I and my wife have experienced wildly inconsistent service on a number of issues (Water at restaurants, info from park employees).

i am one for being squishy; if i need help, im all for that help to get me in as compaired to no-one trying (even if i ask). on busy days, it is a major disappointment to waste the time of waiting in a long line just to be turned down.

Back in my ride op days, if I couldn't get the belt to click or the restraint to click after literally a few seconds of trying, I simply told them they would be unable to ride. Not only did I not devote alot of time to try and get big people in but I didn't put a lot of muscle behind it either. Spending a lot of time trying to squeeze people in holds up the line and IMHO, it's unsafe.

How many clicks are required at minimum? A couple weeks ago, my girlfriend and I rode racer. She had clicked it 3-4 times and it was tight. The ride op then forced it down to that "one more click" and it was so tight, her legs ended up with giant bruises. We were not amused. Earlier that very day we had ridden The Racer with NO problem, so it CLEARLY wasn't a weight gain issue. In hindsight, I wish I had gotten that ride op's name. We really wanted to complain to guest services!

We had no problem putting every last bit of effort into getting the bar down when I worked at The Beast. I see nothing that indicates otherwise in any of the park's operations this year. It appears you just ran into a lazy ride-op who needs to be put on the Firehawk crew. :)

Yep and those seat belts showed up on Vortex and Flight Deck in 2008, I think that is when Adventure Express got seat belts too. Cedar Fair is the Seat Belt capital of the world!

I must be minority. I actually LIKE the seat belts. And I'm not... small either. :P

i am one for being squishy; if i need help, im all for that help to get me in as compaired to no-one trying (even if i ask). on busy days, it is a major disappointment to waste the time of waiting in a long line just to be turned down.

That's the thing, this wasn't a busy day at all.

How many clicks are required at minimum? A couple weeks ago, my girlfriend and I rode racer. She had clicked it 3-4 times and it was tight. The ride op then forced it down to that "one more click" and it was so tight, her legs ended up with giant bruises. We were not amused. Earlier that very day we had ridden The Racer with NO problem, so it CLEARLY wasn't a weight gain issue. In hindsight, I wish I had gotten that ride op's name. We really wanted to complain to guest services!

Inconsistency !!!

The associate is doing what they are supposed to do. Ensure YOUR 100% safety. Have you considered that the associate last year maybe, just maybe wasn't fulfilling their entire responsibility. I hate to think of it, but it's possible.