The Beach Waterpark TR 5/28/11

TheSonofBeast

I arrived at The beach waterpark at 930am hoping to catch a few good rides before the park got busy and waited till ten. When the park opened, i was more than dissappointed. I knew that last year they had up the sign and it looked liked they were renovating Snake River Rapids into a new attraction. I checked online before hand, but couldnt find anything about it on their website. Nothing about contruction or an opening date listed on the main pages or in the ride area. I arrive, head straight for that section if only to ride aztec adventure and hidden rapids. The area was closed. Not just the new rides, the whole area. You couldnt even get to where the walkway that takes you towads the cliff was. There was a sign saying that the new rides open on june 5th or 6th, i cant remember. After that dissappointment, i went to ride the only waterslides that are open. The typhoon twist first, then the bonzai, then the cliff. The whole area that has the yellow slide and the bodyslide, the zipline, and the pool with the marshes was all closed. Because of all of this, i went to guest services and complained. After all, it was memorial day weekend on saturday, the least i can expect is that they tried to have as much open as they possibly could have. I told them what was open (or rather, not open...) and they told me that while they knew that whole back area was not open AND that it did not plan to open that day... I told her that that was unacceptable becuase i was on their website and there was no mention of a WHOLE area closed. She sympathized with me but said she could do nothing. I then was ready to leave, but i was with my little sister who wasnt quite ready. The area with the yellow slide and the pools opened up, and we stayed there for a while. . I went and talked to a supervisor, and while she wouldnt do anything about our tickets (i wouldnt have made the trip if i knew all the tube slides and the water coaster would be closed all day...) she did end up giving us coupons for a free meal for both of us. She also said that while their plan wasnt to open the rides up that day, they should have them up by 215. Sure enough, the gate opened and the rides were turned on, but they werent open. Just a clock that said 215 they will. 215 came and went, with no sign the rides are opening. Finally, a person came along and said something about them not running them yet this year and that the water quality had to be tested or something and that it was unlikely for it to open that day. He was right, when we left around 4, they had updated the clock to say 6pm (closing time)... This was a very irritating trip which most likely will deter me from future trips. The part that bugged me the most was that there was NO warning that anything would be closed on their website. If i were to have known ahead of time, i wouldnt have gone or at least would have expected it. I was told they wouldnt refund my tickets because they have it on the little ticket booth area AT THE PARK ENTRANCE. How am I supposed to know that? They should have had that area ready by now, and if they couldnt, it should have been listed somewhere BEFORE you enter the park and pay for parking.... /Probably my last visit, unless i win tickets on the radio or something...

Not good. I don't normally go to water parks, just because I am not a fan of them, but anyone who travels a distance should know before hand what is open and what isn't. I think I would have been a little upset too-information is not an unreasonable request, and you could have rescheduled your trip had you known.

yeah. i dont know why i didnt mention it before, but apparently they hadnt ran all season from all the people i could talk to about it. They said something about the water quality. When i saw them power it on, the water was a nasty algae green color. Theyve had plenty of time to prepare the rides for opening... i think they just didnt want to pay the workers to staff them before peak season. not acceptable.

That is what I was thinking too windshawne. They are a family owned and run business so priorities play a factor here too.

TheSonofBeast it sounds like you tried to voice your opinion and informed them that you inquired for information prior to your arrival to help the planning process on your end. That is about all you can do other than write them a letter addressed to the GM and owners. Another thing to do is do what you did here and I appreciate that you are not tearing them down but rather just expressing your genuine disappointment and trying to give a heads up to fellow members here.

My family loves water-parks a lot and we used to have a annual pass to The Beach and enjoyed every visit there, in the summer and Christmas festivities. I regret though we have not renewed or annual passes for several years now.

I do commend The Beach on finding a niche market and keeping their grounds beautiful and shaded after Kings Island open their water-park. If I had to pick between those two it is a split for me. KI water-park gets to crowded and hot with old attractions but offers rides in the dry park for evening fun. The Beach is very family friendly with late night pool shows and so forth so in all honestly both are equal in my eyes. now if you throw in Holiday World well lets just say Holiday World water-park is our choice coming and going and will be our real only choice if we are seeking a water park day. I just wish Kings Island would add to their water-park but do understand why they have not to this point.

I worked there in the 04-05 season i would say the rides were always kinda nasty there. As far as the lifeguarding staff there they were underequiped last time i checked the shallow water guards were not equipped with rescue tubes and if they would have to rescue someone the senerio could turn deadly.(sorry about the spelling)