What originally brought you to visit Kings Island?

McSalsa

OK, poll time, and I think this will be a very interesting one. There is a first time for everything, and this topic is just that- the first time you visited Kings Island. Why did you come? Were you on a family trip/vacaction? See a TV ad? Drawn in by a particular attraction? Just drive by on the highway? Etc?

Enjoy the "poll". If you dislike...you should now by now, but for newbies, click back!

As for myself, it was a family vacation in the summer of 2000. New that year was, of course, Son of Beast. I still have lots of good memories from that first trip, as I had a great time that day, but it would be 9 years before I would ever return, due in most part to a fear of coasters that The Racer created (I didn't know what airtime was, and as a little kid...you should understand). However, after my sister went in 2008 and Diamondback was announced, I decided that I should try them again and...well, here I am now on a KICentral.

BONUS POLL (Optional):

...and what made you want to return? For me, it was The Beast and other great rides...and the fact I realized every time I visited KI, it ended up being fun.

Sounds like The Racer is not a good "first big coaster" for kids. My mother took me to KI around once a year back when my age was still in the single digits. We mostly stayed in the kids area, but one time when I was about 9, she talked me into riding The Racer. Something about that ride (I've forgotten what now) spooked me so bad that it was almost 15 years before I went back. That occurred last year, when I was looking for something to occupy me over the summer and saw a TV commercial for KI Gold Passes. I looked at my budget and decided to go for it. It took me two visits to talk myself into riding The Beast and three visits for Diamondback, but now I'm hooked. This year, I have a Platinum Pass and am planning trips to Holiday World (this weekend! :)) and Cedar Point (in three weeks).

We had just moved here from Atlanta, Georgia and all the kids at my new school were shocked when I told them I didn't know what Kings Island was, better yet that I had never ridden a roller coaster. So one of my friends said he was going to take me to Kings Island over our Summer Break. So he took me to the park around July. And it ended up that Screamin' Demon was the first coaster we rode. I was so pumped that I got on the Demon three more times. But little did I know that Kings Island had more than one coaster. So he took me to The Racers and then we went to The Bat, but I chickened out on it. For some reason I could ride the Demon, but I wouldn't ride The Bat. I wish I would have ridden it knowing that it would close a year later. We rode a couple more rides before we had to leave. Every since that trip I had become glued to Kings Island and that was back in 82'!

I can tell you in two words what first drew myself and many of my other fellow baby-boomers to Kings Island: Coney Island, what else? Coney Island was the place to go for many generations. My parents went to Coney during the great depression just as my grandparents and great-grandparents had gone to Coney. My parents continued that tradition by taking my sister and me to Coney at least once every summer. How sad we were when we heard Coney was to close down because of repeated flooding and that a new park called Kings Island was to open in its place. However, my dad decided that we needed to give the new park a chance so he and myself checked out KI on Memorial Day weekend of 1972 on Sunday. ( The grand opening weekend. ) Well, I have been hooked since then.

Fun topic and fun read so far so I weigh in too.

Well I'll start with were it all began: Kings Island sometime in the summer of 1972

My Grandfather who was a teamster truck driver and drove a route daily past Kings Island. As he drove by everyday he watched the progress and the birth of Kings Island from the interstate, So he decided to take the whole family including his wife 2 daughters, his son and 6 grand children at that time. This was an extremely rare occasion. Well I being from Indianapolis and my house sat almost right next to the Indianapolis 500 3rd turn, I had no idea what to expect so arriving at Kings Island was like walking into another world. I'll try to keep to my grandfather, he was what you would say an old fart!! He loved his beer and spent little time with his family but loved us dearly. So he paid for all us to get in, everyone took pictures and we all marveled at the International Street and the spectacular fountain under the Eiffel Tower (keeping in mind this was in 1972). He quickly gave all the parents some money and sent us all on our way, because his first stop was going to be the Oktoberfest Der Alte Deutsche Bier Garten to belly up and swap stories with the other old farts. After a short while we meet back up with him and we were so excited and were telling him stories about what we had been doing earlier in the day at the park, (next is one of the great memories) I never seen that man smile and have such a proud look on his face, he had that look like he was going to get the grandparent of the year award. I'll never forget it in all my life, I can still see it as if he was sitting right her next to me now. He decided to take a ride with us, and since we were right next to the Swiss Sky Ride that went across the park that's where we were going, plus he could ride right back!! I was in the same Swiss Sky Rider car as he was, and when we got to the higher part and at one of switch poles he started to sweat and gripping the hand rails real tight. We didn't know if it was the alcohol so we asked him if he was OK and he answered with (another great memory) the following I'm so scared and my ass is so tight that I couldn't sh*t a BB right now if I wanted!!!! Well me being almost eight years old, and hearing him say that was pretty big stuff and very funny. Needless to say he didn't ride back but instead opted to walk all the way back to the Der Alte Deutsche Bier Garten and the rest of us went on with the rest of our day.

Great topic, and great responses so far!! My parents took me when I was 2 in 1975. My next trip was with my aunt's family in 1992. That pretty much hooked me. I've been back every year save for one or two since then!

Love some of the stories so far - thanks for sharing.

For me, a brown 1979 Chevy Malibu brought me to Kings Island the first time. :D

It was 1980 and my Dad had gotten discounted tickets for GE day. I don't remember all the specifics of that first trip, although I do know that it wasn't the coasters that made me come back. Sure I rode them (including The Beast when I finally built up the nerve!), but it was the other rides (of which many are now gone) that I have the best memories of riding with my parents - Monorail, Tiques, Rotor, Bayern Kerve, Wheel of Fortune, Giant Slide, Flying Eagles, and KCKC along with Monster, Scrambler, and the Kings Mill Log Flume. Note to self - I need to dig through my Dad's slide collection someday soon.

What has kept me coming back over the years has changed a lot. When I got to Jr High/High School I bought myself a season pass to ride coasters - especially King Cobra and then Vortex. When I moved back to the area after college I returned for the atmosphere. Now that I'm older and a parent myself, I return to share the joy of the park with my kids and keep myself young at heart.

Well, my home park is Camden Park. As some of you know their main attraction is The Big Dipper. At about age 10 I had conquered my fear of pretty much everything at that park. (not much).

So my Nana, aunt,cousin and I went one day in August 07. I rode just the basic, Racer,BLSC, and The Eiffel Tower. Thats about it.

So I went back and told my dad how much fun I had and we went back on October 9th 07 for HH. We rode SoB, FoF and BLSC. Ever since then I have always loved KI and every other park!

First trip was in 1987 with my parents and younger brother. I was 12 and am not really sure why we made the trip. Sadly there are VERY few things that I remember from that visit to the park. The things I do remember are riding Vortex with my father and The Beast with my Mother.

About 2 years before this trip I had visited Opryland and loved riding my first ever Coaster, Wabash Cannonball. Using that ride as guide (foolishly) I agreed to a trip on Vortex. Once we hit the top of the lift I knew the ride would be nothing like I had been on. Made the entire trip with my eyes closed, lol. After that mom asked if I wanted to try The Beast and amazingly I agreed. However, once we were headed for the lift I changed my mind. Mom said it was too late for that. I ended up enjoying the ride very much and only closed my eyes on the first drop.

Aside form the 2 Coasters, I have hazy memories of possibly riding the Tiques and Rub A Dub. I do recall an animated Wallaby or Kangaroo singing Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport. Did that really happen there? lol.

I never returned to the park until August of 2009. After 87 my only park visits were to KK in 90 and BGT in 2000. At KK I rode Thunder Run and nothing at BGT. For some reason the thought of visiting parks never really crossed my mind and sadly I missed out on lots of nice parks around the world while I was in the Army.

Back on topic, I missed a KI visit in 08 when I could have actually rode SOB. In 2009 I finally made a trip with my wife and kids but we only visited the Water Park and on the way out noticed the new Coaster, Diamondback. Foolishly I agreed to make it my first coaster ride in 19 years. Closed my eyes a couple times but enjoyed the ride. It was my first experience with "AIRTIME" and while scary it was fun.

I was upset with myself for closing my eyes and steamed the whole winter about it, lol. Well, that and the fact that I didn't get to see the rest of the park. We decided to buy passes and return in the spring. Took a couple rides to finally keep my eyes open on any coaster, lol. After that we made many trips throughout last season and had an amazing time. I am know hooked on rides and Kings Island :)

First time poster, long time KI fan! smile.gif

My first trip to Kings Island was when I was probably around 3 or 4 years old, not sure of the exact year. My parents had been there before but I hadn't, and I must've enjoyed it because we've gone practically every summer since then (living only 30 minutes away, it's the closer park to us so it's the natural choice). I've just always loved the park - the rides, the ambience, etc. Even though it's changed since the late 80s/early 90s it will always have that nostalgic feeling for me. And since I started riding coasters in high school, I love it even more now. The only other (major) park I've been to is Cedar Point, and though I had a great time, KI is my hometown park and will probably always be my favorite.

Welcome to KIC, spitfire!

My first trip was back in 1972, although I don't remember any of it because my mom was pregnant with me at the time. She rode The Racer that day, and I blame that for my love of rides.

My first real trip was a few years later, but again I don't remember specifics of that first trip because I was so young. We used to go once a year using the tickets my grandma got from working there. My memories of those trips are similar to KIfan1980's, riding everything with Mom, her brother and my sister: Tumblebug, Bayern Kurve, Enchanted Voyage, the airtime on Racer (with buzz bars and no seatbelts or seat dividers! :D ), the Monorail, Scooby Doo (now Woodstock Express), watching the drum on the organ as we passed each time on the carousel, etc. And then there was 1979 when my sister and I waited 2 hours with my grandma while Mom and my uncle rode The Beast. I remember that quite clearly, waiting near the exit for them to come out, and looking at the coaster and only being able to see the lift hill. I was just slightly too short that year, but got to ride it for the first time in 1980.

I now get to experience things anew once more whenever GatorGirl reaches a new height level. This past Sunday she got her first rides ever on Congo Falls (she loved it) and White Water Canyon. She was nervous about WWC, and was whimpering through the whole ride. But she loved squirting the people once we got off. I guess she shares my sadistic side (or as rotag said, "Future Hauntster in training").

My first trip to KI was in 1980 and the age of 4. Family vacation, still have some vague memories and plenty of photos of that trip. My family returned about 7 or 8 years later.

Last year I decided to take my family to KI, my first trip in over 20 years. We had a blast and also enjoyed a Reds game. We will be coming back this summer, this time for two days. We will be going to the Reds game against the Blue Jays on Sunday the 19th, going to KI that evening after the game and then spending all of the next day at KI. My kids are counting down the days and for that matter so am I. Can't wait!

My first trip to Kings Island was in 1999. All I can remember is the hours I spent in Hanna-Barbera land as a kid, and getting to ride in the Antique Cars and seeing King Cobra in 2000. Moved to Maryland for two years, but came back to see parts of the park changed, and my family became regular gold passholders in 2005, and have ever since.

A lot has changed in ten years, and I expect a lot more to in the next ten years.

• 1 month later...

What originally brought me to Kings Island? My parents' 1982 Chevette. :lol:

Actually, my parents just started taking trips every summer since around 1995. I still have memories of crying on Phantom Theater and Vortex and of watching King Cobra... I wasn't much of a daredevil as a kid. Haha. I religiously rode The Beastie, Scooby's Ghoster Coaster, and Scooby Zoom, and we still have our old passes stored away in the attic. I never really got into roller coasters, though, and didn't take many, if any, trips to KI between 2000 and 2004-2005.

Eventually, we somehow ended up getting tickets and started going once a year with friends for a couple years (which was when I fell in love with TR:TR). (There was a trip or two to Cedar Point mixed in that time, but I don't remember much about them. I know one was when Maverick was new.) That ended around 2007, but I ended up buying a Platinum pass to ride coasters with my then-girlfriend in 2008. The relationship ended, but I was obsessed with the coasters... And the rest is history.

• 2 weeks later...

We'll for starters my first trip was when I was 4 (little). So therefore I couldn't ride any of the coasters because I was too short! So to answer yous question......

The Eiffel Tower is what originally brought me back. I waited until the next year to come so then I was tall enough to ride some COASTER'S!!!!

Now I come at least every 2 months

If I remember correctly it was a Mercury Sable that brought me there the first time, and the same car that brought me back :P

Sorry, bad joke. Couldn't resist. But honestly I just went the first time cause my buddies were going and they wanted me there. And then... well, here I am. Need I say more? :P

A friend took me to the park back in 2001 for my first time and I loved it. But after that I didn't go to the park until 2005 and it wasn't until 07' that I got my first pass to Kings Island. Ever since then, I've gotten a pass every year.

I grew up on coasters as SFOT was in my backyard (almost). During most of my 20 years in the Navy, I was stationed in Norfolk, Virginia. Needless to say I visited two world class parks(Busch Gardens Williamsburg and King's Dominion) as often as I could. After I retired from the Navy, I took a job here in Kentucky based on how close it was to King's Island. So I guess King's Island as a whole made me want to visit. Unfortunately, I was unable to visit during the summer I moved here and missed my chance to ride SOB with the loop. After my first visit in '07, every year has been a Gold Pass season.

It was May 1996. I was in the 3rd grade. All of the students who had perfect attendance for the year (all of 3-including me) had their names raffled off for a 1996 Paramount's Kings Island Season Pass. Never expected to win. Never won anything before.Last day of school my name was called, I picked it up and have been infatuated ever since. Studied the park since. Collected EVERYTHING, even have a few fact sheets (more like books) on quite a few rides present and past..information I never thought I was entitled to. I.E.- Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal's show water pump horsepower, voltage of main drive belts, pumps, etc.

I became the die hard Kings Island nerd.

The first time I went to Kings Island was in Fourth of July 2009. We were inspired to go when we stayed at Great wolf lodge in March for spring break. I was deathly afraid of roller coasters. I warmed up on the kiddie coasters, the I finally rode The Racer. It was a blast. For a while I only rode The Racer and Backlot. We went to Holiday World and I rode the Legend 18 times in a row. The next time we went to KI I rode The Vortex and Flight of Fear. On a late night in 2010, I got my first ride on The Beast. That ride changed my coaster-life forever. The next morning I rode Diamondback and every other coaster at KI. We went back to KI a couple more times that season. In 2011, we went to Kings Island on Opening Day, Memorial Day Weekend, and July 8-9. On July 5-8, we went to Cedar Point. The first day we were there, I rode the Iron Dragon, Corkscrew, Raptor, and Magnum. That night at around 11 o clock, I finally boarded the front seat of the yellow train of Millennium Force. The theme music was making me tremble in my seat. But as soon as I saw the view from the top, my hands flew up in the air and stayed there the whole time. It was the greatest coaster experience I've ever had...or so I thought. The next day I rode all the coasters Cedar Point had to offer, except one... Top Thrill Dragster. That thing was simply too fast for me to handle. The last day we were there, we got ERT on Raptor and Millennium, and rode some other rides. After riding Wicked Twister, something came over me. Like a soldier going into battle, I did a dignified walk down the midway to the Dragster. I waited through the line for an hour and a half. Finally, I boarded the Blackberry train as a single rider. We inched toward the starting position. I followed the instructions and looked strait ahead at the dragstrip. The christmas tree did its thing and we raced for the sky. I put my hands up and felt the wind in my face. The view from the top was simply breathtaking, and I hoped we got stuck so I could savor the view. But we quickly twisted back down to Earth at lightning speed. I rode it 4 times that last day. The next morning we packed up and headed for Kings Island. We rodeDiamondback 5 times during ERT. I rode WindSeeker twice. I must say that KI's is much better than Cedar Point's. That's the story of how a ride on The Racer turned me from a coaster weenie to a Ride Warrior.

And that's my coaster biography. Anyone want a copy?wink.gif

I was brought to KI by my mommy and grandma. They started taking me when I was around the age of two. When I turned 7 they decided that I should go ride Millennium Force at Cedar Point. From then on we went to Cedar Point 5 or 6 times a year. In the year 2009 I returned to KI with the magical platinum pass. I came back for the memories, but stayed for Beast night rides. ;)