Coney Island 1971 Park Guide

Oldiesmann

• 2 weeks later...

It would have been a lot of fun to visit Coney back then, as it seems like the park was a lot bigger at the time. I realize that the 15 acres of land now occupied by Riverbend and PNC Pavilion were once owned by Coney, but the park has changed so much in the 40 years since it originally closed that it's difficult to picture where all of these rides and attractions were.

• 10 months later...

What as the "Shooting Star" woodie like to ride..? As it looks a lovely out n back with plenty of "airtime" hills. I have a picture of this coasters layout in my lounge. Why was it removed from the park..?

Riverbend Music Center sits on land that once held the turnaround for the Shooting Star. Coney never technically closed either. Sunlite pool was open in 1972. Coney is gearing up for its 126th year of operation. This year, the park has put a big focus on landscaping, and it is looking wonderful!

You know Coney Island (Not counting Sunlite Pool and Lake Como) was only about 1/3 the size of Kings Island. It was not a "big" park at all. The fact that it didn't have room to expand contributed (although not as greatly as the flooding) to the closure and move to KI.

It would have been a lot of fun to visit Coney back then, as it seems like the park was a lot bigger at the time. I realize that the 15 acres of land now occupied by Riverbend and PNC Pavilion were once owned by Coney, but the park has changed so much in the 40 years since it originally closed that it's difficult to picture where all of these rides and attractions were.

Actually there are enough original buildings left that you can

identify exactly where all the previous rides were located.

First locate the Moonlight Gardens. From there you can distinguish

the Midway as it runs past the old Beer Gardens past the building that housed

the Dodgems and Whip. Next you will see some Ginko trees that were cut to look

like push-up ice cream. Follow it right past the current LaRosa's building.

You can compare this to aerial photographs and by visiting www.cincinnativiews.net.

pilotank

• 2 weeks later...