Dollywood

We're planning a trip to Dollywood at the end of June, probably the last weekend. For those who know, would it be worth it for us to purchase the Qbot on a Saturday and Sunday, or just Saturday? I'm wondering what crowds will be like and if the Qbot really saves that much time, it would probably be a good deal to make sure we see everything.

The past two times we've gone to Dollywood have been in November 2009 & November 2010. Both of those times we got the QBot, which I love. It really helped for the shows. Some of the lines to see the shows got extremely long, so being able to reserve a seat at the beginning of the day let us enjoy our time more. Plus, I really like how it gives you the wait times for the rides with the QBot lines. Even if you aren't reserving one of those rides at the time, it's nice to be over near the train and know the wait time for Tennesee Tornado before going back there. Shortly after I got checked into Mystery Mine, I was able to reserve Thunderhead and go right over to that next.

I know some on here are opposed to "paid line jumping", but Dollywood's QBots are affordable (at least to me) and help make the best of our limited time when we go since we only go for one day each year.

As far as crowd sizes on late June weekends, sorry but I'm not able to help. I haven't been there during the summer since about 2001 or 2002.

The past two times we've gone to Dollywood have been in November 2009 & November 2010. Both of those times we got the QBot, which I love. It really helped for the shows. Some of the lines to see the shows got extremely long, so being able to reserve a seat at the beginning of the day let us enjoy our time more. Plus, I really like how it gives you the wait times for the rides with the QBot lines. Even if you aren't reserving one of those rides at the time, it's nice to be over near the train and know the wait time for Tennesee Tornado before going back there. Shortly after I got checked into Mystery Mine, I was able to reserve Thunderhead and go right over to that next.

I know some on here are opposed to "paid line jumping", but Dollywood's QBots are affordable (at least to me) and help make the best of our limited time when we go since we only go for one day each year.

As far as crowd sizes on late June weekends, sorry but I'm not able to help. I haven't been there during the summer since about 2001 or 2002.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I'll pay a little extra if it means I'll be able to see everything. How exactly do the Qbots work? I've never used anything like that before at all, so any info would be appreciated.

On a related note, we looked at the prices and since we're going to go for two days it might make sense to get a season pass. Is that crazy? It's definitely a saving of the regular gate, but is that crazy? I wouldn't mind going back down in the winter but if the pass only lasts until the end of 2011, I"m not so sure.

How exactly do the Qbots work? I've never used anything like that before at all, so any info would be appreciated.

The Qbots (labeled Q2Q at Dollywood) have a screen that allow you to select your ride of choice. Once you select your ride the device will give you a time that you can ride. You can go ride at the time provided or anytime after that point. When it's your time to ride you'll simply go up the Q2Q designated line at each ride. There will be a representative at the end of the Q2Q entrance, and they will take your device and check to see if your device says that you're ready to ride. They'll then free up your unit so that you can queue up for the next ride. You'll want to make sure that you queue up for your next ride as soon as they clear your unit. Rinse, lather, repeat. If you'd like a quick tutorial before you go down then check it out here:

QBot Tutorial

You'll want to reserve your shows at the start of the day inside the Q2Q building. After you pay for your Q2Q device there'll be a series of computers on the wall. You'll simply use the touch screens to select your shows and times there. You can always come back and change the reservations later, but you'll have to do it back at the Q2Q building. Make sure that you arrive at the Q2Q entrance at least five minutes prior to each show, as they'll be a dedicated section for Q2Q holders.

On a related note, we looked at the prices and since we're going to go for two days it might make sense to get a season pass. Is that crazy? It's definitely a saving of the regular gate, but is that crazy? I wouldn't mind going back down in the winter but if the pass only lasts until the end of 2011, I"m not so sure.

Sounds like your options are:

Two Day Tickets - the lowest price I've seen for Dollywood tickets is around $53 through AAA, so that would put you at $106 for the two days...with parking ($8/day) you're looking at $122 total. If you get the tickets at regular price ($57/day) then that would bring you up to $114 (w/o parking) and $130 (w/parking). I don't believe that there is a two-day ticket option available.

Regular Season Pass - $91...keep in mind that this does not include parking ($8/day), so for two days you're looking at $107 total.

Gold Season Pass - $124...this does include the parking so that's a total cost figure.

If you think that you'll spend more than $85 in the park over your visit then you're better off getting the Gold Pass. This calculation is based on the 20% in-park savings you get with the pass. The difference between the regular season pass ($107 if you include parking) and the Gold Pass ($124) is $17. Therefore, you'd have to spend $85 or more ($85 x 20% = $17) in order to recover the $17 difference between the two passes. Hope that helps!

**Quick Edit** You'll only want to buy one Gold Pass per group. Also, keep in mind that the Gold Pass holder must pay for the transaction in order to get the 20% off discount.

Thanks for the breakdown gad... That really helps. I did realize that we would only have to buy one gold pass, so that's a plus. I wonder if we would perhaps get down again maybe in November or something to really make the passes worthwhile.

The Qbots really seem like they help you to rack up rides. I would assume it would be possible to ride other smaller things while waiting for the marquee attractions. I'm interested if only to see how well it works for us.

• 2 months later...

Update... We loved Dollywood. It's not a park where you're going to smash rides all day, but it was a nice park. We got the qbots on the Saturday, but we didn't need them at all, either day. Even though we didn't really need them, we both decided that we will probably always use a system like that when on vacation. It simply makes things easier. Tennessee Tornado is one of the best Arrows I've ever ridden, and Thunderhead was awesome. I would love for Kings Island to get a GCI. I was not able to ride Mystery Mine, however. I think there is an issue with my chest being too big, or with me just being too tall.

The discount that the season pass affords a guest is tremendous. With using the pass, we got parking for three days ( we processed our passes the night we got to town to save time), my wife bought a windchime from the glass blower, I got a break on the qbot, we got the discounted price at Dixie Stampede, and we bought clothes at that large gift shop on the way out of the park. All told, with food, and everything else mentioned above, I believe that I definitely recouped the difference between the regular pass and the gold pass, maybe twice over. All in all it was a great visit and we both can't wait to get back down, hopefully later this year.