Invertigo Rollback

markr

As I was leaving the park today at around 7:45 my friend Derek and I saw an Invertigo Rollback. As the train was going through the vertical loop on the way back to the station, it rolled back halfway through the loop and came to a stop. Has anyone ever seen this happen before? It seems like since TDD opened, rollbacks are the name of the game.

on rides like Invertigo and vampire, it usually happens when the catch car on the second lift hill doesn't grab hold of the train, in turn causing the train to not fall down the second hill far enough to have enough speed to complete the circuit.

on rides like top thrill dragster and Flight of Fear, the launch just didn't give the train enough speed to make it through the course.

A rollback happens when, for whatever reason, a coaster train is not going fast enough to clear the point of balance (point of no return) at the top of a hill. Since it is going too slow to clear the hill, it. Rolls back

Also called valleying (where it ends up...the valley) or saddling (picture a saddle in your mind).

what exactly is it called if it balances perfectly at the top of a hill? lucky?

On Kingda Ka (Terpy's getting park sick already), it's called theoretically impossible. TTD has done it at least twice.

As my boss sometimes tells me - "say more". How is it theoretically impossible. I'd assume that any top hat ride would have the theoretical capability to perfectly balance (there has to be a point at which there is equal weight on both sides), even if there was something designed to ensure it never physically happened. What am I missing?

Really depends on where it valleys. If it's between the loop and the cobra roll, a crane is the way to go. If it miscatches station-side, all they have to do is push it back a few feet, and the catch car can re-catch it.

In addition to that, the anti-rollback mechanism is what makes the click-click noise while the train is ascending the lift. In fact, if you look to the side of the chain on most coasters, you will see little "teeth". As the train passes by these "teeth" little knobs under the train are pushed over and into each tooth creating the click noise. These knobs are only able to move forward over the teeth, but are not able to move backwards as they lock into place, which prevents a rollback.

Sorry for the overly-detailed explanation. I remember watching a show on Discovery a long time ago which explained how the anti-rollback mechanism works.

In addition to that, the anti-rollback mechanism is what makes the click-click noise while the train is ascending the lift. In fact, if you look to the side of the chain on most coasters, you will see little "teeth". As the train passes by these "teeth" little knobs under the train are pushed over and into each tooth creating the click noise. These knobs are only able to move forward over the teeth, but are not able to move backwards as they lock into place, which prevents a rollback.

Sorry for the overly-detailed explanation. I remember watching a show on Discovery a long time ago which explained how the anti-rollback mechanism works.

Thanks for that info that has NOTHING to do with Invertigo/Face Off

Invertigo/Face Off Doesn't have teeth nor an Anti rollback device on either of its lifts. How else is it going to go up and down on both lifts :rolleyes:

Thanks for that info that has NOTHING to do with Invertigo/Face Off

Invertigo/Face Off Doesn't have teeth nor an Anti rollback device on either of its lifts. How else is it going to go up and down on both lifts :rolleyes:

I wasn't referring to Invertigo (which I know is off topic), but I was referring to CoasterGeek101's post about how rollbacks occur, and the following post by HWBeast1039 which referred to the anti-rollback devices on OTHER coasters, particularly wooden coasters. I just wanted to add to the interesting conversation. My post had nothing to do with a coaster engineered like Invertigo (even though this is an Invertigo topic.) :rolleyes: