Kings Island App!

Oldschool75

Code worked for my Droid, too. Did KI announce this at least on FB? Seems like they should have announced it! Kind of a waste of their money to produce something they don't promote. :blink: This is a cool app for this summer, when I'll prob only visit the park once and wish I was there every weekend.

Edit: One word: REVIEWS.

There should be comments with star ratings for each entry in here. Cedar Fair might not like that, but the user would benefit. I'd love to hear what someone thought of Potato Works five minutes ago.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think KI has announced this at all, as I never heard of it before this topic was posted.

I do agree that having food prices and descriptions would be nice. It would also be nice if the "feedback" section actually let you send feedback to the park and/or its developers.

Haven't used it at KI yet, but spent some time playing with it last night. Looks like a lot of fun!

If it's showing "page not found" or something similar when you scan the code, that means the app isn't available for your phone.

I'm at the park now, and having the App is handy, because I am stuck in the Festhaus due to storms and I can get on the webcams and see what's going on outside and if the storms have passed or not. The only thing Im not sure is, it says no fireworks tonight, but it's a 10 oclock close and they're suppose to have fireworks. Could be a minor glitch or error.

My Andriod must not be compatiable with the new app, cause when I search for Kings Island in Andriod Market, the only app that comes up for KI is the KI News one!

What version of Android do you have? Some apps are not available for eclair, but are for froyo or gingerbread.

It would be nice if they had the food prices and such.

Ok, don't everyone have a heart attack here,

I thought these 2 quotes of yours fit pretty good...and it answers your question of why the park will probably never put the food prices on the app. :P

Ha!

I think KI should consider replacing the wait time signs with digital ones so the wait time can automatically be sent to the app (which would be updated to include support for this). Oh, and advertising is needed even though it's a free app.

My Andriod must not be compatiable with the new app, cause when I search for Kings Island in Andriod Market, the only app that comes up for KI is the KI News one!

What version of Android do you have? Some apps are not available for eclair, but are for froyo or gingerbread.

I have the Motoralla Citrus.

I have the .apk file. PM me your email address and I'll email the app to you. You will need to have root access to your phone and a file manager to install the app. Just same the .apk file to your sd card, then while in your file manager click on the .apk file and install.

Here's a QR code you can scan with your phone to go directly to the app in the market:

KI_MyPark.png

Apparently there's also an iPhone version available, so iPhone/iTouch/iPad users should search their market for it (I'm too lazy to fire up iTunes to find the URL to it right now :P)

I can report it works great for the iPhone as well. :)

RD

It would be nice if they had the food prices and such.

Ok, don't everyone have a heart attack here,

I thought these 2 quotes of yours fit pretty good...and it answers your question of why the park will probably never put the food prices on the app. :P

Actually, I discussed it with PR, and they said they're considering it, but not sure if will work logistically, as prices change from time to time

and so forth, and it's a hard thing to code into the system.

Also someone else had a great idea about putting wait times on the app, like something you might see at a Disney park. That's probably

a little sophisticated for Kings Island. Would be nice to have on crowded days, but most days probably wouldn't need it. Most of the rides

are generally a 15-20 minute wait tops on most days anyway.

I have the Motoralla Citrus.

If you go to Settings -> About phone, what does it say for "Android Version"? It could be that you have an older version of Android (such as 1.5) which isn't supported anymore.

How would the park be able to get more accurate data? The ride ops are already fairly busy as it is, and there's no guarantee that they'll be able to estimate the wait time any better than the average guest could. In addition, I've often noticed that the "estimated wait time" signs outside the entrance to some major attractions aren't always accurate either (though the one at Diamondback seems to be pretty accurate since there's always an employee sitting out there that can change it as needed).

How would the park be able to get more accurate data? The ride ops are already fairly busy as it is, and there's no guarantee that they'll be able to estimate the wait time any better than the average guest could. In addition, I've often noticed that the "estimated wait time" signs outside the entrance to some major attractions aren't always accurate either (though the one at Diamondback seems to be pretty accurate since there's always an employee sitting out there that can change it as needed).

Make it digital instead of manual so a ride op (like one that does the restraint checks) can change it. This would probably work best on rides like Firehawk that could use an extra person in the station and understaffed rides. This would have to wait until the offseason to happen, though.

They'd still have to find a way to get that information to the end user. While many of the rides have computers to track safety systems, etc., they'd need a way to pull the wait time from each ride to a master server that would in turn send the info to the internet. It wouldn't be an easy task in my opinion.

They'd still have to find a way to get that information to the end user. While many of the rides have computers to track safety systems, etc., they'd need a way to pull the wait time from each ride to a master server that would in turn send the info to the internet. It wouldn't be an easy task in my opinion.

Actually it would be fairly easy if the network infrastructure is there already. With the in house phone network it could easily be done. Problem is all rides don't have a ride ops at the entrance of the line to estimate ride length. Besides that , once you have the info, all you need is a program to collect the data and update the app server. :)

If the wait time signs at the ride entrances were more diligently kept there could be sensors on them to give the times? Although, I would personally rather Ride Ops keep up the capacity of the ride than worry about a wait time on the sign.

Actually, just tried it.

Nope. (At least not unless you've jailbroken your phone.)

Bummed. And for those in my tiny internal storage boat, it came in as over 9 megs... not the 4.x as indicated.

I haven't tried yet, but judging by the permissions it requires, I'd say it can:

modify/delete USB storage contents modify/delete SD card contents

Allows an application to write to the USB storage. Allows an application to write to the SD card.

More details at http://market.android.com/details?id=com.wddonline.myParkKingsIsland or by scanning the QR code above with your phone.

Actually, just tried it.

Nope. (At least not unless you've jailbroken your phone.)

Bummed. And for those in my tiny internal storage boat, it came in as over 9 megs... not the 4.x as indicated.

I haven't tried yet, but judging by the permissions it requires, I'd say it can:

modify/delete USB storage contents modify/delete SD card contents

Allows an application to write to the USB storage. Allows an application to write to the SD card.

More details at http://market.android.com/details?id=com.wddonline.myParkKingsIsland or by scanning the QR code above with your phone.

What happens when you try to move it to the SD card?

Go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications

Scroll down and tap Kings Island MyPark

Tap the "Move to SD Card" button

I do have a rooted phone, but I don't see how that would make any difference as long as you have Android 2.2 or higher (the option was not available prior to Android 2.2)

Even with a rooted phone, it is ultimately up to the application developer. I have run into apps before which are "copy-protected" and thereby do not allow me to move them to the SD card. Do you not see a "Move to SD Card" option for that app?

The application's permissions indicate that you should be able to move it to the SD Card. StumbleUpon specifically says that the "Modify/Delete SD Card Contents" permission is what allows you to move their app to the card.

I would also recommend contacting the application developers about it at http://www.wddonline.com/public/services/mobile_application_development/MyPark.cfm. Maybe they can help you out.

• 2 weeks later...