Filming at Kings Island?

Dieseltech20

So, today on Facebook, someone asked why there were "People with Camera's" in BB. They actually responded to say that "It was a feature on Kings Island's 80 rides, shows and attractions." Someone also said they saw "People with Camera's" at the entrance.

Perhaps a new documentary?

Absolutely nothing personal aimed at any posters here, but I've got to clear up a pet peeve of mine. The use of the term "film crew". I spent 14 years traveling the country working as a camera technician on "film" crews. They consist of multiple trucks, carts full of various equipment, anywhere from 10 to 100+ people scurrying around getting locations or gear ready. Large film cameras with "Panavision", "Aaton" or "Arriflex" written on them mounted on large tripods, dollies, or cranes. Multiple lights or reflectors scattered around a set. Angry people stomping around cussing on cell phones, and chain smoking. Massive bikers hippies, or exfootball players talking in weird code. I actually heard these statements: "Hit this guy in the back of the head with the hard side of the bounce board" and "screw a stud plate in the wall and slap a baby on it".

A VIDEO crew usually consists of 1 overly stressed person with a video camera and small tripod, a location rep, grip, and director/producer and (if the camera guy is lucky) a sound mixer. Working out of one van with a station logo on it.

Shooting digital video tape or some form of digital video data is a far cry from shooting film. Thank you for allowing my rant. I'm getting off my soapbox now.

Absolutely nothing personal aimed at any posters here, but I've got to clear up a pet peeve of mine. The use of the term "film crew". I spent 14 years traveling the country working as a camera technician on "film" crews. They consist of multiple trucks, carts full of various equipment, anywhere from 10 to 100+ people scurrying around getting locations or gear ready. Large film cameras with "Panavision", "Aaton" or "Arriflex" written on them mounted on large tripods, dollies, or cranes. Multiple lights or reflectors scattered around a set. Angry people stomping around cussing on cell phones, and chain smoking. Massive bikers hippies, or exfootball players talking in weird code. I actually heard these statements: "Hit this guy in the back of the head with the hard side of the bounce board" and "screw a stud plate in the wall and slap a baby on it".

A VIDEO crew usually consists of 1 overly stressed person with a video camera and small tripod, a location rep, grip, and director/producer and (if the camera guy is lucky) a sound mixer. Working out of one van with a station logo on it.

Shooting digital video tape or some form of digital video data is a far cry from shooting film. Thank you for allowing my rant. I'm getting off my soapbox now.

I, too, worked with a TV station for a bit - I know what you mean.

However.....

Last week, President Obama visited here and he made a stop at a local eating establishment. Besides the official White House camera people, the local media was there filming shots for the 6pm news. I was surprised to see what little equipment they had - such a big reduction from all the gear of the past.

This is not to say that this is the ONLY way to do things, but a simple lookiing camera on a tripod has some validity.

Now, if I was paying the big bucks for a TV spot, I'd want the whole kit and kaboodle - not just some amature with a Kmart tripod!

Calm down....have some Dip.

I edited the post for ya.

Thank you Dieseltech20.... I'll try to stop twitching now. I don't know why it get's to me, but whenever I see someone using a video camera and hear that they're "filming", it just drives me nuts. I scream (only in my warped little mind of course) "No your not filming, your VIDEOTAPING!!! I really need to try to get over it, I know.

Calm down....have some Dip.

I edited the post for ya.

Thank you Dieseltech20.... I'll try to stop twitching now. I don't know why it get's to me, but whenever I see someone using a video camera and hear that they're "filming", it just drives me nuts. I scream (only in my warped little mind of course) "No your not filming, your VIDEOTAPING!!! I really need to try to get over it, I know.

EDIT: Now I see what you're saying. But everyone says filming now, so you might want to get over that soon. ;)

Is it really still videotaping? Seriously just wondering if there is actual tape used anymore?

Consumers are recording straight to digital memory of some type. Most ENG(Electronic News Gathering) equipment that TV stations use still record to digital video tape. Then they digitize it to memory, although that is slowly changing as stations upgrade their gear. I guess the right term to use would be "Videoing" to cover any image recorded electronically. The only way anyone is "filming" is if the camera has a shutter behind the lens that opens and closes, exposing film negative to light. I'm really trying to get over it, thanks for the support.

When I first read the original post, I misread it as saying Kings Island's 80's rides, shows and attractions, as in the stuff that was there in the 1980s. I was wondering why a news crew would be doing a nostalgia piece this year (even though this is the 40th operating year, the more widely recognized 40th anniversary isn't until next year).