Coney Central Update

CoastersRZ

A new feature has been added to Coney Island Central, detailing the 125th anniversary of Coney Island. Check it out here: http://www.coneyislandcentral.com/125_anniversary.php

Additionally, scores of new historical photos (more than 50!) have been added to the historical galleries on Coney Island Central. Check them out here: http://www.coneyislandcentral.com/photo/index.php?cat=35

And finally, the official 125th anniversary celebration at Coney will occur one week from this Saturday, on June 18th. Some highlights planned for that day include:

-After 4pm Super special pricing: Sunlite Pool $5.95 per person, classic rides $5.95 per person, or Pool and Rides Combo ticket of $9.95 per person!

-Q102 will be live from 6-9pm, and will be giving away hundreds of birthday prizes.

-$1.25 concessions specials all day long

-Free Hot Dogs from John Morrell from 4-7pm near Lakeside Pavilion

-Complimentary birthday cake, while supplies last.

-Historical Memoribilia display inside Lakeside pavilion, including the Centennial Time Capsule items

-Coney`s rides will stay open until 10pm, and Sunlite Pool will stay open until 9pm (the pool area will remain open for fireworks viewing).

-At 10pm, Rozzi`s Famous Fireworks will celebrate the event with a spectacular fireworks display over the banks of Lake Como.

Enjoy the updates, and I might see some of you on the 18th if you can make it out. I don`t know if I will be a manager that evening or not yet. I kind of hope I`m not... I`d like to see the historical stuff in Moonlite Pavilion.

Thanks Robbie for the pictures.

It's great to see how America's Best Amusement Park used to be.

I have always been a strong proponent on returning Coney to it's glory days.

I truly believe it would be a winner. However, after this years flooding and going through

the park after the river re-ceded and seen first hand the clean-up needed, I can see why the park was moved.

Just a rumor, I have heard the new owners of River Downs have big plans and would like to upgrade CI,

if the gambling at RD's is cleared by the state. I know they would have to first obtain the property first.

pilotank

I`m not sure how I would feel if Coney were to be owned by the owners of RD. Remember, originally, the race track was developed by Coney`s owners. But problems amid gambling issues forced the owners to quietly separate themselves from the track. As it is now, Coney is owned by a single owner, the wife of the late Ronald Walker. The Walker`s have owned Coney since 1991, so for twenty years, which is quite a long time.

A new feature has been added to Coney Island Central, detailing the 125th anniversary of Coney Island. Check it out here: http://www.coneyislandcentral.com/125_anniversary.php

Additionally, scores of new historical photos (more than 50!) have been added to the historical galleries on Coney Island Central. Check them out here: http://www.coneyislandcentral.com/photo/index.php?cat=35

And finally, the official 125th anniversary celebration at Coney will occur one week from this Saturday, on June 18th. Some highlights planned for that day include:

-After 4pm Super special pricing: Sunlite Pool $5.95 per person, classic rides $5.95 per person, or Pool and Rides Combo ticket of $9.95 per person!

-Q102 will be live from 6-9pm, and will be giving away hundreds of birthday prizes.

-$1.25 concessions specials all day long

-Free Hot Dogs from John Morrell from 4-7pm near Lakeside Pavilion

-Complimentary birthday cake, while supplies last.

-Historical Memoribilia display inside Lakeside pavilion, including the Centennial Time Capsule items

-Coney`s rides will stay open until 10pm, and Sunlite Pool will stay open until 9pm (the pool area will remain open for fireworks viewing).

-At 10pm, Rozzi`s Famous Fireworks will celebrate the event with a spectacular fireworks display over the banks of Lake Como.

Enjoy the updates, and I might see some of you on the 18th if you can make it out. I don`t know if I will be a manager that evening or not yet. I kind of hope I`m not... I`d like to see the historical stuff in Moonlite Pavilion.

From Coney Central "Throughout Coney`s history, roller coasters have been a big attraction. The Wildcat opened in 1926, and the infamous Shooting Star opened in 1947. The Schott and Wachs family maintained a meticulous facility, earning the motto “America`s Finest Amusement Park. Indeed, it was held in high regard as Walt Disney visited the park as he was beginning to plane Disneyland."

I just returned from Disney World and while staying at The Wilderness Cabins, there was this portrait of the train Walt Disney had imagined for DineyLand. It is strikingly familiar to the CI Lake Como Rail Road!

4846.CCT_2D00_2.jpg_2D00_500x0.jpg

Also, The Magic Kingdom use to have a Sky Ride much like the one at CI, and later moved to KI. The Swiss Chalet at Coney is eerily simillar to the Chalet for the Sky Ride at the Magic Kindom located between the Haunted Mansion and It's a Small World!

There is no question CI had a strong influence on Walt Disney and both DisneyLand and Disney World.

pilotank