Reminder About Leaving Stuff In Boomerang Bay

Oldiesmann

This is why I have a waterproof armband for my phone, and a waterproof case for my keys, pass, cards, cash and anything else I need to carry. I do leave my clothes and towel near the wave pool in a bag that I tie obnoxiously quite a few times. :P I NEVER EVER leave my valuables, I ALWAYS have them on me. The clothes and stuff are mostly replaceable so I don't mind as much. :)

But this is the reason some people call me overprotective of my stuff. :)

The same thing happened to me at approximately 6:30 pm on July 1st. My lime green Kenneth Cole Unlisted neoprene backpack was stolen, towels and shoes left behind. My glasses, dirver's license, gold pass and clothes, along with asthma medication. The only thing I'm angry about, really, is the bag. It was a prize given for good workmanship. I had no money in the bag, no phone, and got a new pass immediately.

The security team was so great though. You get nervous, a knot in your stomach when you get robbed. They understood, the one officer was saying, "I know you feel sick, I know you're nervous." and strangely, it helped dispel the nausea. I've never had anything stolen before at the park, and it was jarring, the adrenaline is terrible.

Those of you who are my friend on Facebook have likely already read about this, but I wanted to post this as a reminder for everyone. Never leave anything valuable unattended in Boomerang Bay, even if it's in a backpack in an area with lots of other towels and such.

This past Saturday I had quite a scare. Being a hot day, I went on all the water rides, then promptly took a train ride to Boomerang Bay to cool off some more. I didn't even think to leave my shorts (with my wallet, cell phone and keys) in a locker at WWC until after I got to BB. I couldn't bring myself to shell out whatever the asking price is for lockers in Boomerang Bay now, and didn't want to take a train all the way back to WWC to get a locker, so I just found a shady spot on a hillside near a food cart where many others had laid their towels, set my stuff down, put on sunscreen and headed off to the very crowded wave pool. After a dip in the pool, I walked back past my bag to make sure it was still there and also to make sure I remembered where I left it. It was still there, so I headed off to wait in line for Tazmanian Typhoon. Being such a hot day, there was quite a long line. I'm estimating an hour passed between the time I got in line and the time I got off the ride.

By that time, I was tired of the crowds (and didn't feel like waiting an hour for anything else or dodging the crowds in the wave pool), so I decided to gather up my stuff and head back to the main park for another round or two on White Water Canyon. I went back to where I'd left my stuff to find that my backpack was gone (my towel and sandals were still there). This included my shorts with my wallet, keys and cell phone, my shirt, my glasses, my sunscreen and a hair brush.

I headed off to the BB entrance (the parking lot entrance) and informed a security guard, who promptly called for a police officer. The KI police officer who handled the situation did a great job - explaining the situation, arranging a place for my parents to meet me (out at the passenger pickup, since neither one of them has a gold pass), letting me sit in First Aid to cool off and get water, and ensuring I got a ride out to the passenger pickup. He gave me his card with the case number and told me I could take that to the ticket window to get a free replacement gold pass. He also suggested that I call Lost and Found on the off chance that my stuff turned up there.

When I got home, I had to call the bank and cancel my bank card (a new one is on the way), call Sprint to temporarily suspend my service and dig up an old pair of glasses (I can see without them, but distant objects are somewhat blurry), and I was particularly unhappy about how much this was going to cost me (mainly new glasses + cost of eye doctor appointment).

I called Lost and Found on Saturday before the park closed and left them a message. I got a call back on Sunday during church and returned their call that afternoon when I got home, again getting their answering machine. A short time later, they called back asking for a better description of the backpack that I'd lost. After a short time, they returned and said that they had my backpack and gave me a confirmation number that I could use to get it at the park. Much to my relief, the only thing missing was the $2-$3 in cash that I had in my wallet.

I am very fortunate that I was able to get everything back (don't care too much about the cash, as that's peanuts compared to the value of everything I could have lost), and very grateful to KI security, police and the BB first aid staff for helping me in this situation (the first aid staff truly care about guests), but I want to remind everyone not to do what I did. Lockers are expensive, but not nearly as expensive as it would have been for me to replace all the stuff I had in my backpack.

interesting story, but how do you know security didn't just pick your bag up because they saw it unattended? You shouldn't be leaving unattended bags out for any reason regardless of where you placed it. I somehow doubt if a thief got your bag, they took a few dollars and your bag just made it into the hands of Lost and Found.

Those of you who are my friend on Facebook have likely already read about this, but I wanted to post this as a reminder for everyone. Never leave anything valuable unattended in Boomerang Bay, even if it's in a backpack in an area with lots of other towels and such.

This past Saturday I had quite a scare. Being a hot day, I went on all the water rides, then promptly took a train ride to Boomerang Bay to cool off some more. I didn't even think to leave my shorts (with my wallet, cell phone and keys) in a locker at WWC until after I got to BB. I couldn't bring myself to shell out whatever the asking price is for lockers in Boomerang Bay now, and didn't want to take a train all the way back to WWC to get a locker, so I just found a shady spot on a hillside near a food cart where many others had laid their towels, set my stuff down, put on sunscreen and headed off to the very crowded wave pool. After a dip in the pool, I walked back past my bag to make sure it was still there and also to make sure I remembered where I left it. It was still there, so I headed off to wait in line for Tazmanian Typhoon. Being such a hot day, there was quite a long line. I'm estimating an hour passed between the time I got in line and the time I got off the ride.

By that time, I was tired of the crowds (and didn't feel like waiting an hour for anything else or dodging the crowds in the wave pool), so I decided to gather up my stuff and head back to the main park for another round or two on White Water Canyon. I went back to where I'd left my stuff to find that my backpack was gone (my towel and sandals were still there). This included my shorts with my wallet, keys and cell phone, my shirt, my glasses, my sunscreen and a hair brush.

I headed off to the BB entrance (the parking lot entrance) and informed a security guard, who promptly called for a police officer. The KI police officer who handled the situation did a great job - explaining the situation, arranging a place for my parents to meet me (out at the passenger pickup, since neither one of them has a gold pass), letting me sit in First Aid to cool off and get water, and ensuring I got a ride out to the passenger pickup. He gave me his card with the case number and told me I could take that to the ticket window to get a free replacement gold pass. He also suggested that I call Lost and Found on the off chance that my stuff turned up there.

When I got home, I had to call the bank and cancel my bank card (a new one is on the way), call Sprint to temporarily suspend my service and dig up an old pair of glasses (I can see without them, but distant objects are somewhat blurry), and I was particularly unhappy about how much this was going to cost me (mainly new glasses + cost of eye doctor appointment).

I called Lost and Found on Saturday before the park closed and left them a message. I got a call back on Sunday during church and returned their call that afternoon when I got home, again getting their answering machine. A short time later, they called back asking for a better description of the backpack that I'd lost. After a short time, they returned and said that they had my backpack and gave me a confirmation number that I could use to get it at the park. Much to my relief, the only thing missing was the $2-$3 in cash that I had in my wallet.

I am very fortunate that I was able to get everything back (don't care too much about the cash, as that's peanuts compared to the value of everything I could have lost), and very grateful to KI security, police and the BB first aid staff for helping me in this situation (the first aid staff truly care about guests), but I want to remind everyone not to do what I did. Lockers are expensive, but not nearly as expensive as it would have been for me to replace all the stuff I had in my backpack.

interesting story, but how do you know security didn't just pick your bag up because they saw it unattended? You shouldn't be leaving unattended bags out for any reason regardless of where you placed it. I somehow doubt if a thief got your bag, they took a few dollars and your bag just made it into the hands of Lost and Found.

Are you saying security took the money? Pretty bold to make that accusation on here.

I see women leaving their purses completely unattended in places other than the park, which blows my mind . I have to remind my own mother to hold her purse up-she has the habit of carrying it by the handles and letting it nearly drag the ground-would be very easy for a thief to grab and go. Thieves are generally after easy cash-and that is what happened there.

Are you saying security took the money? Pretty bold to make that accusation on here.

I see women leaving their purses completely unattended in places other than the park, which blows my mind . I have to remind my own mother to hold her purse up-she has the habit of carrying it by the handles and letting it nearly drag the ground-would be very easy for a thief to grab and go. Thieves are generally after easy cash-and that is what happened there.

I'm not saying security took anything.. if it was only a few dollars, it's possible the person was mistaken. It's just a bit hard for me to believe that a person would attempt to steal a bag in broad daylight and take nothing more than a few dollars. That's not to say it didn't happen ... people are stupid.

My friends and I went to a dress-code strict Catholic high school. On one certain day each year, we were allowed to wear solid red and green t-shirts for Christmas. Every single year, my friend wore a blue shirt, which none of us noticed until we looked back in photos. When we asked how she got away with it, she gave me some fantastic advice: If you look like you know what you're doing, people will think you know what you're doing.

I think thieves use the same policy. They are not stupid enough to rifle through a book bag, pull out wallets, cell phones, keys, etc., fist pump, and then dart off. A book bag left unattended could contain many things, and it's a matter of walking up to it, picking it up like it's your own, slinging it over your shoulder, and walking away. I'd think that it's later before they actually look through it and see what they got.

And yes, people are mean-spirited. I've had friends who have had wallets stolen, and weeks later, have had their driver's license mailed to them. What a truly terrible thing to do. I would feel so violated. It's totally possible that someone took the money and gave the book bag to lost and found. It's also possible that the bag was discarded after its worthwhile contents were removed, then taken to lost and found by a third party.

People lose cellphones to theft quite frequently....

Exactly.. cell phones are stolen quite often. I've even had one stolen out of my car by a passenger.

Frankly, I don't care who took it.. it ended well and is a lesson learned. Nothing is safe anymore .. if this was the 1970's - 1990's, maybe. I find the fact that they charge $15 for a locker (regardless of whether you get $5 back) is absolutely absurd. I was in the park yesterday and couldn't believe I paid almost 5 bucks for a beverage. Prices at the parks are outrageous.. OUTRAGEOUS. That doesn't mean I won't be paying it though LOL.

By the way, the "Way Too Much TV" show in the Festhaus is a cute little show.

My friends and I went to a dress-code strict Catholic high school. On one certain day each year, we were allowed to wear solid red and green t-shirts for Christmas. Every single year, my friend wore a blue shirt, which none of us noticed until we looked back in photos. When we asked how she got away with it, she gave me some fantastic advice: If you look like you know what you're doing, people will think you know what you're doing.

I think thieves use the same policy. They are not stupid enough to rifle through a book bag, pull out wallets, cell phones, keys, etc., fist pump, and then dart off. A book bag left unattended could contain many things, and it's a matter of walking up to it, picking it up like it's your own, slinging it over your shoulder, and walking away. I'd think that it's later before they actually look through it and see what they got.

And yes, people are mean-spirited. I've had friends who have had wallets stolen, and weeks later, have had their driver's license mailed to them. What a truly terrible thing to do. I would feel so violated. It's totally possible that someone took the money and gave the book bag to lost and found. It's also possible that the bag was discarded after its worthwhile contents were removed, then taken to lost and found by a third party.

It is violating, and it takes a while to get rid of that weird feeling when you reach for your glasses, and they aren't there. Every so once in a while, during the weekend, you feel that punch in your chest, for no reason. My cousin's purse was stolen from a MacDonald's on our way to a funeral. Six months later, she gets a package from the Columbus police, the bag and it's contents. We can only suspect it was evidence? She said that sick feeling came back for a second, even though she was glad to have her things.

If a thief was ever made to feel what the person whose things were stolen felt, they would never steal again.

I was recently the victim of a theft by an idiot/idiots who stole $15 fishing poles from my garage and left the $500 Dale Earnhardt lithograph hanging next to them!

Pretty brazen-all depends on what they want. I've had my bank account broken into twice this year, recently had someone try to take my wheel on the car and someone tried to steal the hospital cell phone when I worked there. Each time, it angers me to no end. I can't stand a thief.

What else would they take?

This included my shorts with my wallet, keys and cell phone, my shirt, my glasses, my sunscreen and a hair brush.

I don't see much of that being of interest to a thief, except for cash....

Uh, did you miss the part about the hair brush? That's typically what I steal...

And you're proud of that?

Uh, did you miss the part about the hair brush? That's typically what I steal...

Careful windshawne....it's been 3 whole days since Eric has personally gone after somebody attempting to make fun of them. He's due. I'm telling you he absolutely DESTROYED me for having a different opinion than Browntggrr. Me and my fanny pack are still reeling, and trying to heal from the amazing WCW style smack down I received. He's a sharp one, don't cross him, or he'll unleash his wrath of personal word smithing destruction on you to.

Careful windshawne....it's been 3 whole days since Eric has personally gone after somebody attempting to make fun of them. He's due. I'm telling you he absolutely DESTROYED me for having a different opinion than Browntggrr. Me and my fanny pack are still reeling, and trying to heal from the amazing WCW style smack down I received. He's a sharp one, don't cross him, or he'll unleash his wrath of personal word smithing destruction on you to.

Thanks Snowman. Not making fun of him, I would never do that to anyone, I don't see that stealing is something to be proud of. Those on here know my character, and I'm not worried-I'm beyond worrying what people think of me. Posts like that are what is killing this site.

Thanks Snowman. Not making fun of him, I would never do that to anyone, I don't see that stealing is something to be proud of. Those on here know my character, and I'm not worried-I'm beyond worrying what people think of me. Posts like that are what is killing this site.

I agree with you. Stealing isn't exactly funny either. It seems 99% of the posters on this site enjoy spirited debate, witty reparte', amazing technical/ historical information, and sometimes just plain silliness (which is what an amusement park fan site should consist of) Personal slams and jokes at someone's expense never seem to do much to advance a conversation.

At least that's what my fanny pack said.:P

^That brings up an intresting question.

Would an unsecure/ unsupervised fanny pack get stolen in BB?

Anyone want to do an experiment with me? :)

I can see the report now:

(DISCLAIMER: If you get easily upset over enthusiast humor, or take things too seriously, DO NOT READ THE FOLLOWING);)

"So sir, you left your fanny pack unsupervised in BB?"

Browntggrr- "Yes I did. My Home Equity Loan did not go through to afford a locker."

"Did you see anything suspicious."

"Well I did see this one person, I could not tell if it was male or female- so I will just call it Pat- when I took my pack off Pat looked to be wearing a wearing a Speedo banana hammock and a t-shirt that had a "I was present for The Beast award October 2nd, 2004" writing on it.

"What made them suspicious?"

"Well, anyone wearing a Speedo outside a school gym swim meet or the Olympics stands out. This person had a weird look in their eye- kind of the look you see in a mall on a handful of people during a Pokemon & Beanie Baby convention, and a drippy brown smudge on their chin."

"Ok sir, we have a good description, we will get back to you soon. KI is sorry for your trouble, so please take this $5.00 off coupon and enjoy a nice lunch."

"Geez. Thanks. But you did hear that my Home Equity Loan did not go through, right?"

I find the fact that they charge $15 for a locker (regardless of whether you get $5 back) is absolutely absurd.

Also in the absurd catagory is the actual cost to purchase those lockers: http://securacoinloc.../coin-sizes.php

Wow, that IS expensive! But I'd say easily made up for! $646 for a set of twelves works out to be just over $107 per compartment. After renting it out 11 times, it's paid for. KI is making good money off of lockers! :/

^^ Browntggrr, that's one of the funniest things I've read here in a long time! But now I have to get up off the floor from laughing, and throw away my speedo. BTW, my fanny pack said it's offended at the thought of being left behind...anywhere.A mall Pokemon, Beanie Baby convention.......your cracking me up!

I find the fact that they charge $15 for a locker (regardless of whether you get $5 back) is absolutely absurd.

Also in the absurd catagory is the actual cost to purchase those lockers: http://securacoinloc.../coin-sizes.php

Wow, that IS expensive! But I'd say easily made up for! $646 for a set of twelves works out to be just over $107 per compartment. After renting it out 11 times, it's paid for. KI is making good money off of lockers! :/

Yes, a 6 compartment does cost $646, which is almost $108/ compartment. The installation is not free, nor is the shipping. There is also imcome tax involved the park has to pay for each rented locker.

Now add in the maintenance costs for not only normal wear & tear, but for repair, replacement & for the buffoons that purposely destroy park property.

Also add in the space needed for the lockers themselves & employees to staff the lockers for guests that cannot operate them & others that have lost their keys along with insurance for the lockers themselves.

I'm sure the park is making money on the lockers (let's not kid ourselves- the park's #1 priority is safety, followed very closely by making money), but it is not as much as you think.

Like food, drink, or a cell phone, renting a locker is a perk if you choose to use it. Guests do not have to bring in phones, or other valuable items that almost require a locker. Those items can be left in a car, a non-rider or at home/ hotel.

Yes, a 6 compartment does cost $646, which is almost $108/ compartment. The installation is not free, nor is the shipping. There is also imcome tax involved the park has to pay for each rented locker.

Now add in the maintenance costs for not only normal wear & tear, but for repair, replacement & for the buffoons that purposely destroy park property.

Also add in the space needed for the lockers themselves & employees to staff the lockers for guests that cannot operate them & others that have lost their keys along with insurance for the lockers themselves.

I'm sure the park is making money on the lockers (let's not kid ourselves- the park's #1 priority is safety, followed very closely by making money), but it is not as much as you think.

Like food, drink, or a cell phone, renting a locker is a perk if you choose to use it. Guests do not have to bring in phones, or other valuable items that almost require a locker. Those items can be left in a car, a non-rider or at home/ hotel.

No, I don't think any of those costs come close to the amount of money they are making. Even including installation, shipping, wear/tear, etc. By the way, you don't know that they paid that much for those lockers - they may have a discount or buy them in bulk, etc. How exactly would a guest enter the park with nothing with them -- what about their pass? Who doesn't bring at least a few dollars with them ? What about a towel? They wouldn't be able to go on slides or do much else if they brought anything in the park other than their body. Water parks are basically designed to require a locker.

No, I don't think any of those costs come close to the amount of money they are making.

That is nice, but what question are you answering?

Aside from that, there are numerous other costs the park has (i.e. Maintenance personel that- I am guessing- make about $25/ hr.) I only came up with basics for the lockers. Each revenue entity has to have $X.xx earned to be deemed worthwhile (profitable).

By the way, you don't know that they paid that much for those lockers - they may have a discount or buy them in bulk, etc.

Did they get a discount? How did you know how much those lockers cost before I came up with a potential supply cost? I am intrested in the numbers you came up with.

How exactly would a guest enter the park with nothing with them -- what about their pass?

What about their pass? Leave it with a non-rider. Enter the park & bring it back to the car. Keep the pass in a velcroed pocket. These are not difficult solutions/ ideas to save some money. People need to think outside the box (along with plan ahead) to save a buck. If they don't, costly services like locker rental, will only increase in price. It is simple supply and demand.

People also have to stop making excuses of why they have to spend money, and stop complaining when they make the choice to do so.

Who doesn't bring at least a few dollars with them?

Many people, including myself. I go to BB early and leave when it gets busy to have lunch at the car. If I feel the need to bring a credit card & ID, my swim trunks have deep velcro pockets. I also use these same shorts on rides as well & never has an item come up missing.

What about a towel?

What about a towel? I have only read about people's bags being stolen. Has there also been a number of towels stolen too? How creepy!

Water parks are basically designed to require a locker.

Actually people have designed themselves to have unneccessary items with them at all times that end up requiring a locker. It is not a waterpark's reponsibility to let people know they can live without their phone, camera, or credit card for a few hours.

Twould be interesting to know what the sort of competition across the street charges for a locker....or even Holiday World or a typical Six Flags waterpark.

Holiday World is $5 for a locker plus $5 key deposit—basically half the cost of KI after the deposit is refunded. The Beach, I believe (I'm not sure on this) charges around $5 to $7 plus a $5 deposit, or season pass holders like myself can pay a flat $28 when the pass is issued for unlimited tube and locker rental (i.e. you only have to put down the deposit, not pay the actual cost). I don't know about Six Flags because I've never been to one.

At the locally owned Waldameer- all day lockers are $9 with a $5 deposit, or you can get single use lockers for $.75.

SFGA- small= $12, Medium= $15, Large=$18. All lockers are electronic. No deposit.

SFMM- $11, $14, $17

Raging Waters, San Dimas, CA- $8 or $13 with $5 deposit.

At the locally owned Waldameer- all day lockers are $9 with a $5 deposit, or you can get single use lockers for $.75.

SFGA- small= $12, Medium= $15, Large=$18. All lockers are electronic. No deposit.

SFMM- $11, $14, $17

Raging Waters, San Dimas, CA- $8 or $13 with $5 deposit.

I want one of those dog lead hooks that you screw into the ground, with a nice bag attached to it, then haul off yonder and watch someone try to lightly grab it up off the ground.

Either that, or fill a backpack full of cement, and leave it for them.