Reminder About Leaving Stuff In Boomerang Bay

Oldiesmann

Not to beat a dead horse, but today, I shelled out 500 bucks for glasses, because insurance didn't cover them. (Don't bring up lockers, they were all full, thank you.)

I looked at my budget, and I have to cut out a few things. The park is one of them. Even with a season pass, it takes money to go the park, and I do eat in the park, and sometimes buy something.

That was my vacation money, really. So, in reality, the thief ended up stealing revenue from Kings Island. They already have the season pass money, even if I can't go, so I guess they made out.

I understand why they have "Not responsible for lost or stolen things" signs, but doesn't that make the place a smorgasbord for thieves? What about some prominent motifs that notify that there are some security measures?

This weeks Pulse Journal police blotter indicated a juvenile was arrested and charges with theft of a backpack/bag at BB. It also indicated a couple of similar events at The Beach.

While not responsible, I'm sure KI doesn't like it and will continue to try and eliminate it.

Not to beat a dead horse, but today, I shelled out 500 bucks for glasses, because insurance didn't cover them. (Don't bring up lockers, they were all full, thank you.)

I looked at my budget, and I have to cut out a few things. The park is one of them. Even with a season pass, it takes money to go the park, and I do eat in the park, and sometimes buy something.

That was my vacation money, really. So, in reality, the thief ended up stealing revenue from Kings Island. They already have the season pass money, even if I can't go, so I guess they made out.

I understand why they have "Not responsible for lost or stolen things" signs, but doesn't that make the place a smorgasbord for thieves? What about some prominent motifs that notify that there are some security measures?

What exactly do you expect them to do? Signs aren't going to discourage people from stealing.. few people read them anyways.

au contraire, bubala.

Studies have shown that even a fake security camera deters crooks.

Please cite studies. Kings Island isn't going to construct more security cameras so that personal items don't get stolen. They don't have the manpower to deal with thieves and if they did construct such a camera then people would be asking why they aren't monitoring them. Personal belongings are the guest's responsibility at all times.

So let me get this straight it is cheaper and better for them to do nothing for deterrent of theft (I am not saying KI is) at the risk of getting a bit of a reputation for thievery. Hmm I wonder if they decided afterwards that they no longer wanted that reputation in fear it would hurt their business. How much would that cost and how long would it take to shed that reputation?

A water park could solely leave it up to the customer but a reputation is a perceived thing and could be very costly.

Thanks Avatar. It has sullied my feelings towards the park a bit. That's why I came here, to get the old feelings back, (Though Holiday World does seem to beckon with it's rep among you.)

As for those of you asking to cite studies, next time you steal something, monitor your own actions. You take a look around to see if anyone can see you. If you see that flashing red light, you'll be more than likely to pseudo casually set the wanted item down.

Remember. I worked retail, too.

I assure you Tanna Kings Island is very protective of their reputation and misinformation about them. They DO go to great lengths in time and expense to keep the park a safe and fun environment (front gate detectors). It hurts emotionally when someone steals from you, just imagine how it must feel to have your home invaded. In time most of those folks who have experienced that get over it and feel comfortable and safe again. I am sure you will too in time. Do not let that thief steal your happy place. :)

Thanks for the good words, and also for the news, KIFan.

I think right now it's just the sticker shock of wearing my vacation on my face, so that I can work, that's bugging me.

I can imagine a home robbery, or for that matter, a natural disaster, would be way more devastating than merely have to ride out the park season. I'm lucky that I can always plug for more jobs.

I'll gear up for the Haunt. It's not like the park disappears after summer.

So let me get this straight it is cheaper and better for them to do nothing for deterrent of theft (I am not saying KI is) at the risk of getting a bit of a reputation for thievery.

Unless KI is stealing themselves, they cannot get a reputation for thievery. It is also not KI's fault that someone is stealing, just like it is not a bank's fault they get robbed (and we all know on how much time and money is put into a bank's security).

Going to the park is no different than anywhere else. Why anyone would leave valuables unattended at KI as opposed to anywhere else is rather confusing.

If lockers are unavailable, I suggest going to guest services and asking them what to do. I'm sure they will make every attempt to find suitable means to secure your belongings.

So let me get this straight it is cheaper and better for them to do nothing for deterrent of theft (I am not saying KI is) at the risk of getting a bit of a reputation for thievery. Hmm I wonder if they decided afterwards that they no longer wanted that reputation in fear it would hurt their business. How much would that cost and how long would it take to shed that reputation?

A water park could solely leave it up to the customer but a reputation is a perceived thing and could be very costly.

That doesn't give them a reputation like that. As someone else pointed out, it's not the park that's stealing. Public places in general are prone to theft - it is not the park's responsibility to protect the personal items of guests or discourage theft. Please tell us what other parks have erected security cameras for this purpose? Do all parks that don't have them have a bad reputation? Logic fail.

Thanks Avatar. It has sullied my feelings towards the park a bit. That's why I came here, to get the old feelings back, (Though Holiday World does seem to beckon with it's rep among you.)

As for those of you asking to cite studies, next time you steal something, monitor your own actions. You take a look around to see if anyone can see you. If you see that flashing red light, you'll be more than likely to pseudo casually set the wanted item down.

As expected, you didn't cite any study, but made assumptions. You cannot say that another person would care about a flashing red light - that's just your opinion.

Qscott86 I am getting the info you need to satisfy your very misguided mindset on what parks do and also do for security protection of their guest to include theft and robbery. I am shocked that before you eevn posted what you just said that you did not even do a google search. For the record I was not referring to that Kings Island was stealing and even put it in parenthesis. If you are going to accuse me of saying something then try reading my post first before you respond.. I truly hope you take some time to back up what you expect others to do as I will be giving you a list very shortly so I hope you have the decency to back up what you claim the parks do not do.

Browntggrr - I will be responding to your post too shortly with those facts as well, you know how I feel about your post and the the thought you put into them but this one ;)

I an going to keep adding references here and just edit as i find the links for you;

http://corporate.dis...y_security.html

Don't miss this one it is good even about security cameras in the park

http://tapmag.com/20...urity-presence/

http://www.blooloop....rk-Security/156

this next one is mostly about security cameras in the parks.

http://www.securityc...ce-systems.html

this next one is about a park that is going to add cameras after they had a problem.

http://www.whotv.com...0,4543969.story

http://www.securitas.com/us/en/customer-segments/Entertainment/Entertainment-and-security/

Qscott86 I am getting the info you need to satisfy your very misguided mindset on what parks do and also do for security protection of their guest to include theft and robbery. I am shocked that before you eevn posted what you just said that you did not even do a google search. For the record I was not referring to that Kings Island was stealing and even put it in parenthesis. If you are going to accuse me of saying something then try reading my post first before you respond.. I truly hope you take some time to back up what you expect others to do as I will be giving you a list very shortly so I hope you have the decently to back up what you claim the parks do not do.

Browntggrr - I will be responding to your post too shortly with those facts as well, you know how I feel about your post and the the thought you put into them but this one ;)

I did not say that you said the park was stealing, but you made the outrageous claim that the park would gain a bad reputation for theft when it isn't their fault and theft is an ordinary occurrence in ANY public place unless you live in a bubble. Regardless of whether you have "facts" about security cameras makes little difference - the park is not responsible for insuring the security of your own belongings. If you can't handle that on your own, you probably shouldn't leave your house. I think the only thing that is "misguided" here is your belief that the park has the responsibility of watching your belongings.

I did not say that you said the park was stealing, but you made the outrageous claim that the park would gain a bad reputation for theft when it isn't their fault and theft is an ordinary occurrence in ANY public place unless you live in a bubble. Regardless of whether you have "facts" about security cameras makes little difference - the park is not responsible for insuring the security of your own belongings. If you can't handle that on your own, you probably shouldn't leave your house. I think the only thing that is "misguided" here is your belief that the park has the responsibility of watching your belongings.

Again you try to put words in my mouth you really need to re read your post and secondly I have not once or at any time said as you say "your belief that the park has the responsibility of watching your belongings" or referenced that in any way as that is a given. For the record ALL guest have the ultimate responsibility for their own safety and personal belongings.

Now how about your backing up your position that parks do not go to great lengths to protect their guest while they are there to include watching for thieves in parking lots and water parks to include Kings Island. I am not saying they need to or that it is their responsibility but they do it almost all of them for a myriad of reasons. Please find me some resources to back up your claim.

Here is a PR firm who helps parks overcome a reputation that they did not deserve.

http://www.reputica....ement-parks.htm

Undercover security

http://www.cracked.c...-world-secrets/

IAAPA

http://www.iaapa.org/industry/funworld/2005/august05/features/to_be_seen/tobeseen.html

That doesn't give them a reputation like that. As someone else pointed out, it's not the park that's stealing. Public places in general are prone to theft - it is not the park's responsibility to protect the personal items of guests or discourage theft. Please tell us what other parks have erected security cameras for this purpose? Do all parks that don't have them have a bad reputation? Logic fail.

As expected, you didn't cite any study, but made assumptions. You cannot say that another person would care about a flashing red light - that's just your opinion.

No assumptions, factual observation from experience. Someday, maybe you'll have experience, too. I didn't write up an anthropological thesis just for you, because frankly, I don't care that much about you. Galaieo made some factual observation of the Earth revolving around the Sun, too. Was he wrong because he didn't kowtow to every two bit poster who's signature line is 'cite sources'. I find your demands very wimpy. Use your head. Look around you.

Get some life experiences and we'll talk again.

Go find a job somewhere, where you have to protect your employer's stock, and see what methods work for you. Believe it or not, the red eye worked for me and several stores around me. It's not just my opinion, but several store managers' as well. Using trial and error, we were able reduce shoplifting by giving the implication that the shoplifters were being watched, that's the morality of many people in the world, 'if they can't see me, then it's all right."

Walk through the malls and conduct your own research. It'll get you out of the basement, at least.

Too many people's morality is based on getting away with something if they are not seen by a figure of authority. That little camera with a little red light can very well be their only god.

One thief's excuse to me, after being caught, was "Why do you leave this stuff out if you don't want people to steal it?" It's a store. We leave product out in the shelves so honest costumers have a chance at buying it. That thinking quickly goes to, "Why did you bring your towel to the park if you didn't want it stolen?" Well, I was hoping to use it myself, being that it was mine, and I paid for it, and- it wasn't yours to take. This SeeMe Takeme attitude is getting rather pervasive, and it starts with pointing at the victim of the theft- "If they didn't want me to take it, they wouldn't have let me see it."

No one wants things stolen. You'll find this out, too, if you keep advocating no security measures at all. You seem to want a Wild West atmosphere, but are you willing to live by its true codes?

Some of the logic I'm reading dictates that I should have carried my backpack into the pool with me. It was only fifteen feet away, surrounded by people that also had their things around them, plus, bag unattended by swimmers. I was sitting at the edge of the wave pool, when my things were stolen.

Okay, you got me. I'll.... take my backpack into the pool next time, the customer is five thousand and twenty percent responsible for all things in the park, and those guys wearing badges are there for decoration. If a lifeguard blows their whistle on me for wearing all my regalia into the water, what then?

A park can get a bad reputation due to it's customers actions. Ever been to a 'rough' bar? Ever been to Lesourdesville Lake in its last days? People who don't want to mingle with that sort of crowd stay away. It's also been my observation that those that excuse stealing are apt to practice it.

I'm not going back to Boomerang Bay again, and not only due to lack of funds. I'm going to avoid it future the same way I avoided Lesourdseville when it got rough.

Good luck with your stuff, punkin.

Tanna first let me say as I have not told you so yet; I am sorry this has happened to you.

My family and I are huge water park fans, we enjoy the atmosphere and enjoy the water attractions while cooling off on hot days. So needless to say we have visited Boomerang Bay numerous times over the years and I can say honestly that your story is not one that I have not heard before but it is not one I see as a rampant problem. I also have witnessed security and life guards be proactive in watching over the crowds in and out of the water. Tomorrow my family will be traveling over to Kings Island to enjoy Boomerang Bay while I participate in the Coasting for Kids fund raiser. I tell you this because I do not fear or worry about my families safety or personal belongings as they enjoy all of what Boomerang Bay has to offer because I know the unfortunate theft you experienced is a rarity at Kings Island. I do not believe Boomerang Bay is anywhere near a point that they will get a bad rap as a place for other guest to steal their belongings and I absolutely know Kings Island takes these situations very seriously to include taking proactive measures to keep it to a minimal as possible. Hopefully over time you will venture back and I hope you do.

Again you try to put words in my mouth you really need to re read your post and secondly I have not once or at any time said as you say "your belief that the park has the responsibility of watching your belongings" or referenced that in any way as that is a given. For the record ALL guest have the ultimate responsibility for their own safety and personal belongings.

Now how about your backing up your position that parks do not go to great lengths to protect their guest while they are there to include watching for thieves in parking lots and water parks to include Kings Island. I am not saying they need to or that it is their responsibility but they do it almost all of them for a myriad of reasons. Please find me some resources to back up your claim.

Here is a PR firm who helps parks overcome a reputation that they did not deserve.

Undercover security

IAAPA

http://www.iaapa.org/industry/funworld/2005/august05/features/to_be_seen/tobeseen.html

Have seen nothing in these link that supports your claim. Opinion is quite different than fact. By the way, Disney is concerned about people stealing from their stores -- not from other people.

Individuals (guests) are responsible for their belongings.

Individuals (thieves) are responsible for their actions.

These two things coming together at Boomerang Bay can and does have an effect on Kings Island:

- Thefts can have a negative effect on the parks reputation as a safe family entertainment destination. Potential guests may decide they don't want to risk being in that environment. I guarantee the park is worried about this.

- Visiting guests who have heard about thefts may decide to leave money/wallet in the car. This has a tendency tondrive down in park spending.

Individuals (guests) are responsible for their belongings.

Individuals (thieves) are responsible for their actions.

These two things coming together at Boomerang Bay can and does have an effect on Kings Island:

- Thefts can have a negative effect on the parks reputation as a safe family entertainment destination. Potential guests may decide they don't want to risk being in that environment. I guarantee the park is worried about this.

- Visiting guests who have heard about thefts may decide to leave money/wallet in the car. This has a tendency tondrive down in park spending.

Of course any public place can gain a "reputation" for having thieves because thieves are everywhere. I think it's quite a stretch to say that a large number of people decide to not visit or leave their wallet in their vehicle because they are concerned about theft. Most of the people who leave thing in their car do it out of convenience rather than security.

King's Island isn't unlike visiting a mall, an airport, a nightclub, whatever... the potential for theft is always there.

... I think it's quite a stretch to say that a large number of people decide to not visit or leave their wallet in their vehicle ...

King's Island isn't unlike visiting a mall, an airport, a nightclub, whatever... the potential for theft is always there.

You are right it is a stretch to say that a large number of people - because if you read my post I didn't.

And to me, Kings Island is unlike visiting those places because at those places there is no reason why you cannot maintain personal control of your possessions.

Look at history of parks, when the reputation begin to sour, it can b a long downward spiral with a difficult return. Again, I bet KI is concerned and working to stop this from happening.

It happens more often than you think. I'm sorry, but you just can't leave personal belongings out unsupervised and not expect something to be taken. Unfortunately, there are many dishonest people out there.

When I lived in Southern Cal, I went inside to pay for my gas, and this woman came running in saying a man just took her car. The clerk asked her if she left the keys in it, and yes she did. Someone saw the easy target and took advantage of it. He ended up crashing into the palm tree across the street and got arrested. Bad thing is, I'm pretty sure her car was completely totaled for that little mistake.

Never leave anything unattended, period. If you don't want to pay for the locker, go to the Bay in groups, and take turns babysitting your personal items. I don't think it happens any more at KI than any other public place. If you create an easy target, there will be a thief out there willing to take advantage of it.

Have seen nothing in these link that supports your claim. Opinion is quite different than fact. By the way, Disney is concerned about people stealing from their stores -- not from other people.

It seems to me we are splitting hairs here, but all agree that the guest is responsible for their own stuff. If you could not see a pattern in all the links

http://corporate.dis...y_security.html

Don't miss this one it is good even about security cameras in the park

http://tapmag.com/20...urity-presence/

http://www.blooloop....rk-Security/156

this next one is mostly about security cameras in the parks.

http://www.securityc...ce-systems.html

this next one is about a park that is going to add cameras after they had a problem.

http://www.whotv.com...0,4543969.story

http://www.securitas...t-and-security/

Undercover security

Then I can not help you so please continue to believe what you wish and we will let the others decide for themselves. You asked for sources and I feel I have provided enough facts that will back up my opinion. I no longer need a source for your opinion, I'll just take you at your word on how you feel about the amusement parks and their no need to worry about their reputation from others who break the laws in their parks against their other guests. Thanks for adding to the discussion.

And to me, Kings Island is unlike visiting those places because at those places there is no reason why you cannot maintain personal control of your possessions.

Look at history of parks, when the reputation begin to sour, it can b a long downward spiral with a difficult return. Again, I bet KI is concerned and working to stop this from happening.

Please explain how Kings Island is different than any of those places in regards to security? A person can only steal your things if you leave them unattended (unless of course they pickpocket you or assault you and how often does that happen?)

I don't think many if any parks' reputations have soured due to people stealing - to believe something that unfounded is a bridge too far in my opinion.

It seems to me we are splitting hairs here, but all agree that the guest is responsible for their own stuff.

I'm glad we agree on one thing then. I appreciate you posting links, but those are sites that like any site have bias - they are not empirical studies.

This is why I've started going to Holiday World. The crowd there are much better people. Over the past years I've been going to the park I've realized I couldn't count on many people there to not steal my stuff, let alone pull me to safety if I were hanging from a cliff.

Who is stealing? People are stealing from people's pockets? Unless you leave your things unattended then there is little opportunity to steal. There are thieves at Holiday World as well I assure you. Holiday World is a more rural and less visited park so of course the dynamic is different, but thieves are everywhere.

Your SFA article is more than seven years ago. There have been several, drastic changes in management since.

Still, anywhere large numbers of people gather, there will be those who see opportunity to take that which they'd rather not pay for.

Yup, 1 of the 3 given was 7 years ago.

There was ONLY one SFA article. The other two SF articles were about SFOG, a very urban park situate in one of the more blighted areas of the Atlanta metro. SFGAd could have just as easily been cited, or SFMM. The fact of the matter is KI, in the Midwest, does not have the same degree of these types of problems as larger, more urban metro areas.