Blue Ice Cream

FOFreak

I've gotten it in Planet Snoopy and Coney Mall (yes you can now get blue ice cream in the place that used to be Midway Treats & Eats) and each time it has been the new "icy" consistency. It is also a different shade of blue, almost a turquoise-ish kind of blue, instead of the baby blue color. Everyone else in my group who also got Blue Ice cream agreed that it was different than last year...

Guest PizzaBaby027

These people do not know how to make a real ice cream. When I worked there I made them perfect. If someone would show me how to I would post a pix!!

When I worked at the Depot Sundae Shop (before it was Dippin' Dots, it was soft serve) back in '90 & '91, an upper manager in the Food Service department wanted us to only do three rings of ice cream on each cone, and we were also instructed to NOT put ice cream inside the cone. Of course, we all thought that was ridiculous and no one ever did that. If you don't put ice cream inside the cone, you don't have a base to hold the ice cream on. You just have a mass of ice cream sitting on the top that can easily topple over. Not only did we fill the cones with ice cream, we put a minimum of 5 rings of ice cream on each cone. Back then the cones were $1.27, and we felt that three rings wasn't enough for that price.

I remember one time when that upper manager walked in and saw us making the cones our regular way, she almost hit the roof. She took a cone, gathered us around and showed us the "proper way" to make a cone. After she left we made the cones her way for about 15 minutes, just enough time for her to have left the area in case she stayed for a while to see if we were doing it "correctly", then we went right back to making the cones our way. We were such rebels! :lol:

When I worked at the Depot Sundae Shop (before it was Dippin' Dots, it was soft serve) back in '90 & '91, an upper manager in the Food Service department wanted us to only do three rings of ice cream on each cone, and we were also instructed to NOT put ice cream inside the cone. Of course, we all thought that was ridiculous and no one never did that. If you don't put ice cream inside the cone, you don't have a base to hold the ice cream on. You just have a mass of ice cream sitting on the top that can easily topple over. Not only did we fill the cones with ice cream, we put a minimum of 5 rings of ice cream on each cone. Back then the cones were $1.27, and we felt that three rings wasn't enough for that price.

I remember one time when that upper manager walked in and saw us making the cones our regular way, she almost hit the roof. She took a cone, gathered us around and showed us the "proper way" to make a cone. After she left we made the cones her way for about 15 minutes, just enough time for her to have left the area in case she stayed for a while to see if we were doing it "correctly", then we went right back to making the cones our way. We were such rebels! :lol:

I'm assuming that had something to do with Lindner's cost cutting tactics.....I wonder how many people you made happy by actually giving them a portion matching the price! :P

Guest PizzaBaby027

I hate the price, ya all should see how small people make cones. I once made an ice cream that hit the tray on the machine, I once had a guest pay extra for me to make his as big as I could, over a foot I made it. I miss it laugh.gif

I used to work for a TCBY and did the same thing. We were supposed to weigh every cup of yogurt we made, but it always seemed far too small of an amount for how expensive it was. That and I usually threw in an extra scoop of toppings because one was just never enough!

I haven't had the blue ice cream yet this season, but it's always been a favorite of mine. Hearing that it doesn't taste the same from some is disappointing.

we get the blue ice cream every time we go, about 2-3 times a week, And it is different this year, it is like a frozen custard, and I have had it different textures too, and shades of blue, this is at the Action Zone side and Planet Snoopy side, but my DD still loves it, as do I, I always make sure I have a penny with me, since the total is $3.61. still great but sometime different. and sometimes different sizes too.

• 7 months later...

smurf cones are my favorite thing in the world! [hence my username...] I refuse to call them anything else.. even when they changed to fairly odd cone or whatever the heck they've been over the years. I fell in love with them as Smurf cones, and that's what they will forever be! I've been trying to get ahold of mix so I can serve them at my wedding! [i have colors of aqua and red, it would go perfectly!] Oddly, my favorite part of them is how you can burp hours later in the day and still taste it! It's the gift that keeps on giving! hahaha. If they ever get rid of them, I will come and torch the place.

smurf cones are my favorite thing in the world! [hence my username...] I refuse to call them anything else.. even when they changed to fairly odd cone or whatever the heck they've been over the years. I fell in love with them as Smurf cones, and that's what they will forever be! I've been trying to get ahold of mix so I can serve them at my wedding! [i have colors of aqua and red, it would go perfectly!] Oddly, my favorite part of them is how you can burp hours later in the day and still taste it! It's the gift that keeps on giving! hahaha. If they ever get rid of them, I will come and torch the place.

Funny how I burp up bluberry waffles (frozen - doesn't matter which brand). Wonder if they use the same stuff as the ice cream (or whatever it is)?

*Insert shameless plug here* I know for a fact that my cousin's ice cream shop, Whipty-Do, in Mainville sells the same Blue Ice-Cream as Kings Island. It is literally just south 5-10 minutes from Kings Island. They too are closed for the season, but I know they have a longer season (by a few months on each end) than KI....for those off-season "blues" (hardy har).

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Whipty+DO,+Maineville,+OH&hl=en&ll=39.310129,-84.213295&spn=0.112896,0.264187&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=55.806079,82.441406&oq=whipty+d&hq=Whipty+DO,&hnear=Maineville,+Warren,+Ohio&t=m&z=13

Read under "Classic Ice Cream Cake Cones and Cups": http://www.whipty-do.com/Soft_Serve_Love/Menu.html

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest FersureShelbi

I was born in 1991, and remember two or three from my younger days, but that's about it. Still quite a memory!

I was born in late '92 and have never had one of these adventure books. I did however remember the concept of them from assignments in elementary school.