Kings Island Deaths

KIanatic1975

I know this has been discussed before, but I decided to get this off my chest. I've had really bad luck when it comes to these deaths. I was at the park back in 1983 when the 17 year old boy fell in the elevator shaft and I was working at the park in 1991 when the three people died. I remember sitting in the Festhaus when I heard screaming. I ran out to the pond only to see Darrel and two other men laying unconscious in the pond. I remember running to the nearest phone and calling. After that, my boss told me that I could leave, but I wanted to stay for the rest of my shift. So he told me to head over to The Vortex. I stayed there until 9:30, until I was asked to go help out at Flight Commander. I got there around 9:42-ish. Right when I got into the station that's when the worst happened. Ms. Taylor had slipped out of her restraints and fell 60 feet. I was already stressed out enough and that made it worse. I haven't forgotten that day but me and the three others who were at the ride and the crowd that saw it, were offered free counseling. I thought I was going to be scarred for life, but I ended up getting over it a couple months later. So I've had really bad luck, but also Kings Island is lucky that none of these people were pronounced dead at the park.

^ Wow, that sucks. I have been present for a workplace fatality, and I understand where you are coming from- the sight & sounds will never be forgotten.

And in an attempt to make light of it:

Can you let me know when you will be at the park? Thanks! ;)

Sorry to question you, but what were you doing at Festhaus while on break? I worked at the park back then, and they were very strict about not being allowed to eat/sit in a restaurant while in uniform. The only place you could go to eat was the employee cafeteria (renamed Oscar's once Paramount bought the park).

I was also working that day, in Rivertown Karts, specifically the Depot Sundae Shop. I was walking out to my car when the Air Care helicopter was starting to land. When I got home, my mom was watching the news and she told me to come in the living room, and that's when I learned what happened.

Ever hear of a band called Damage Plan? I was there when I was a little tike with my uncle at the Alrosa Villa when Darrell Abbot was shot. We didn't see it but saw the aftermath. Heavy stuff.

Yeah. They were the weak follow up to the mighty Pantera.

I wanted nothing to do with Ohio for a few years after Darrell's execution by a psycho resident.

• 1 month later...

About 6 or 7 years ago my aunt who was about 60 loved going to Kings Island. She loved walking around and all the other things the older crowed does. If I can remember right it was hot like its recently been. She ended up having i believe a heartattack and she was kept alive until she arrived at the hospital. But like i said she loved visiting KI.