What coaster at Kings Island would you give some offseason work to?

McSalsa

UH-OH. Here comes a poll.

This is another simple one- which of Kings Island's current coasters would you like to see some work done on this offseason? This means stuff like repainting, re-tracking for woodies, fixing theming, etc etc. You know, small stuff. This DOES include the line areas. But there are a few coasters at KI that do need it. I did put some that may not need it as much on here, but to be honest I don't think many people are going to choose them.

Also, this doesn't mean "add new stuff" to rides, so no new trains or nothing, it's just fixing what's already there.

Enjoy the poll. If you dislike, click back.;)

NOTE: Son of Beast needs more than a small fix like this proposes and thus is not a choice for this poll.

My choice? Well...it was a little easy. Flight of Fear. The Q-Line needs some work done, and the ride is running a bit rough- perhaps some work on the trains could help. Racer (paintjob!), Adventure Express (theming fixes), Diamondback (needs a new paintjob already, there are some faded sections), and Invertigo (paintjob) were also considered. The others, in my opinion, are good for now.

I'm in the dark on that one.

I see what you did there!

I don't think smoothness is so much with the track as it is with the trains and the wheels, etc. But honestly I have no idea.

One of the guys that fixes the light/sound stuff told me a while back that the crashing sound that used to play when it launches still plays, but it's just turned down (you can't hear it at all unless it "thinks" it's launching, the brakes release, the jet engine sound mutes, but the launch doesn't happen, then you hear some weird hissing noise right as it was supposed to launch, which is apparently the crashing sound turned down.) He said it only plays in the launch tunnel, and the speakers are right above the track. He doesn't want to have to climp awkwardly up there to change the blown out speakers every time it launches. But it used to play in the station too, not just the launch tunnel, right? I swear it used to play AFTER it launches, so you should be able to hear it if they just timed it differently right? Like here:

Anyways, a bunch of lights need fixing (I enjoy how they go around and take the trouble to fix all the lights in the drum, [which those lights I don't care about as much] but they can't fix they lights above the station and in the saucer). If they took out the flood lights in the hangar, it would help a lot, they really ruin the environmnent. They also waste a lot of electricity. I'm also sure making the lights in the station dim when it launches would save electricity too :P

Hmm... oh yeah and the launch at KD is MUCH quieter, look how quiet it used to be:

(Also, do you head a voice, saying "are you ready? Three..." It didn't sound like a person. Was there more to the soundtrack than what there is now?)

I chose Flight of Fear. I used to work there, and you really notice a lot of things wrong with it once you work there for a long time.

But how would painting it help?

I'm not even sure either...I made a brain fart. Sorry!

I don't care for the horrible vibrating/rattling at the bottom of the turn around on DB. The Beast beat the crap out of us yesterday and AE needs some love.

Most of all though, I wish they would do something about the sewage smell in the tunnels of AE and parts of Action Zone.

As far as general improvement, I have to say Flight of Fear. The ride itself is a really thrilling, fun attraction. But if it were removed from the building and placed outdoors like at any Six Flags park or at Cedar Point, it would certainly not be as worthwhile for me and possibly many others. That's why I think it would be nice to see the queue rehabbed. As was mentioned, the interior lights of the saucer, the theatrical lighting in the hanger, the soundtrack being louder while on the ride (and if they're feeling really ambitious - which I can almost guarantee they're not - maybe even on-ride audio with the synchronized music score that already plays).

There are also small details. Like, I think one of the best things about the queue was the really deep, low bass that was emitted from the saucer and just sort of vibrated the whole room. It wasn't loud or anything. It just sounded like a spaceship idling. The mirrors could also be cleaned. My friends (not enthusiasts) get so excited telling first-timers about that "trick" and it has become less than effective the last few years. Maybe if such a rehab ever occurred, the computers in the hanger could also be upgraded. Some nice Mac screens displaying EKGs and alien anatomy sketches would really make it look more realistic.

And yeah, the ride's a little bumpy. Not sure what could be done with that. I'd also love to find a way to rip out that MCBR, or at least restore the laser "scanning of the train" effect that people have mentioned that allegedly took place there. On-ride audio would also help illustrate that, since people have said that it syncs up to the laser scanning effect.

Of course, all that being said, Disaster Transport now has a two foot tall stuffed Minion from "Despicable Me" at the top of its lift and not a single light on inside the ride (even last season, the space craft and the final Mars rover scene were lit...) so I don't know that I have a ton of hope for Cedar Fair to re-invigorate a ride thematically.

Adventure Express - fix the squeaky tiki guys and the ones that aren't working properly. I'd also like to restore the original effects on that ride (as I recall, the ride originally had fog/mist, but I can't find any videos from that time).

This was my vote too - the fog at night was one of the coolest theming elements of that ride, plus the sound effects and lighting. I haven't been on the ride in years but if the tiki guys aren't up to par anymore, I'd love to see them get fixed as well. I would love to see full theming restored on FOF though, too.

I am going to be an odd ball here. I really don't see anything wrong with the coasters, but one thing I would like to see fixed up is The Crypt. It needs a real theme and new ride routine in my opinion. Since this a poll about coasters I guess I will just have to choose one.

(5 min. goes by)

I can't think of one at the moment. I might come back later.

As far as Flight of Fear - I'd love to see that ride returned to its original glory (minus the OTS restraints that gave your ears a nice beating...). The one thing that annoys me the most about that ride now is the "bring the train to a complete standstill" brake on the MCBR. I realize that they need to slow the train down some, but why is it necessary to slow it down that much?

I choose The Beast because every time i ride it, it seems to get more and more "thrashy" and "violent" almost to the point where i don't want to ride it anymore. :(

Odd, I found The Beast nearly unridable last season. Had to shame my 12 year old into riding it again this year...and, whatever work they did this offseason really did smooth things out, we've rode it at least 8 times this season so far, and find it much smoother, but, very much slower than it was 8-15 years ago.

As far as Flight of Fear - I'd love to see that ride returned to its original glory (minus the OTS restraints that gave your ears a nice beating...). The one thing that annoys me the most about that ride now is the "bring the train to a complete standstill" brake on the MCBR. I realize that they need to slow the train down some, but why is it necessary to slow it down that much?

You haven't ridden it recently have you? The first 3 cars basically fly past the brakes, the brakes slow down the last 2 cars and tries to stop, but it doesn't stop the train anymore. At least that's how it was 2 weeks ago. Really helps the pacing, IMO.

Funny... Both my friend and I have found Beast to be consistently and unusually rough this year, compared to others. We almost always ride in wheel seats and have done so for years, but the ride's really been smacking us around this year, namely, at the turn into the "MCBR," the turn after the second lift, and right when you exit the tunnel the first time through the helix.

The second one seems especially bad--sitting towards the rear, you can watch as the train bucks and everyone's head jerks uncomfortably to the right once halfway into the turn, then once more as the turn ends and the trim begins. The ride's had a fun snap right around there for a couple years, but it's just uncomfortable now.

You haven't ridden it recently have you? The first 3 cars basically fly past the brakes, the brakes slow down the last 2 cars and tries to stop, but it doesn't stop the train anymore. At least that's how it was 2 weeks ago. Really helps the pacing, IMO.

At Kings Dominion, I agree. At Kings Island, the train still comes to a near-complete stop each time I've been on it this season... I don't think it ever came to a complete stop necessarily, but pretty darn close.

I must be the odd man out....However I love that the MCBR stops the train. I say this because the Overbanked turn to the left is much more awesome when you slowly go through it, that way you can feel your self sitting sideways and then the train picks up speed just as fast as it lost it...You are in one of the higher points of the ride. I agree that some of the audio should be fixed (to be honest I didn't even know there was audio until last season when I heard it at the MCBR). I would love to have the lights dim again, not turn all the way off, but def. dim. It was a neat effect that scared me when I was lik 6-8 years old.

All and all the fun factor that still remains is telling first time riders that there are no loops or cork-screws on the ride it just goes up and down like Diamondback!

Make Diamondback feel like a B&M. It's called Diamondback, not Rattlesnake, so there is no excuse for it to rattle as much as it does!

Ok so I'm not the only one who things Diamondback shakes a lot? haha It isn't rough, just very....shaky! I find that to be worse in the back, as the front is pretty smooth :)

I rode it just last week. The brake brings the train to a complete standstill. It's particularly annoying due to the angle of the track just beyond that point.

• 2 weeks later...

I know most people won"t agree with me here, but i think Invertigo needs some help for example the paint on the supports is very faded and considering it is one of only 4 Vekoma inverted boomerangs in existence I think KI should work on it and then market it for that reason.