August Announcement?

jdawg1998

:( I wonder if this is going to be a positive announcement. I think about how people who, when told an announcement was "coming," wondered with excitement about what new ride was going to be revealed in 1997................ for Opryland.

that was probably "tongue-in-cheek" - but KI isn't in jeopardy of closing.

Some may not think this, but I think a Terra Coaster is needed.

Like Top Thrill Dragster, and here is why.

Kings Island is a great park, but it needs something for everyone. For the thrill seekers, the only really tall and fast ride that is aggressive is Diamondback, yeah, a few other minor ones liek Vortex and Invertigo, but nothing that really stands out for that department. Thats why I think something really tall and fast is a great fit.

Well, Top Thrill Dragster isn't a "Terra Coaster." Maverick is a "Terra Coaster." Dragster is a Strato- coaster if you wanted to get technical. :) I really don't think King's Island needs a TTD type of ride. Ohio already has one, and it is a maintanence nightmare. Dick himself has even said it was the worst decision of his career. If KI needed any type of coaster, which I don't think it needs one for a while, a Dive Macine into the woods would be a crowd pleaser. Yes they are not very popular with the enthusiast crowd, but the general public loves them.

^^^ I'd have to disagree with this statement. A strata-coaster would not fit the park at all. And as the person above me said, they are a nightmare to keep running. Also the Eiffel Tower is a centerpiece of the park. If they put in a coaster that's taller than it, then it would look very odd and Eiffel Tower wouldn't be the "main" attraction anymore.

I was wondering? How much would it cost to remove the SOB coaster?

If they were able to re-work the coaster(recycle) what could they save.

The lift hill and first drop?

Remove the rose bowl (Which seems to give the coaster a rough time)?

Maybe make it a terrain coaster or out and back style? What are your guys thoughts?

:( I wonder if this is going to be a positive announcement. I think about how people who, when told an announcement was "coming," wondered with excitement about what new ride was going to be revealed in 1997................ for Opryland.

Ugh. The closing of that park still brings a tear to me eye :(

A new attraction for this year's Haunt? Possibly.

Another new flat ride for next season? Also possibly.

A brand new coaster replacing Sonny for next season with no signs of visible construction as of this particular moment and therefore expecting Sonny to be torn down and a $20+ million dollar coaster to be erected within the span of 10 months? WE HAVE A WINNER! ;)

....although given how quickly Firehawk went up in the 06-07 off-season, it's not necessarily too far-fetched to assume a small coaster could be built in a relatively short time frame, like say, a compact woodie or even one of them Timmy Mega-Lites.

• Like 1

Well, Top Thrill Dragster isn't a "Terra Coaster." Maverick is a "Terra Coaster." Dragster is a Strato- coaster if you wanted to get technical. :) I really don't think King's Island needs a TTD type of ride. Ohio already has one, and it is a maintanence nightmare. Dick himself has even said it was the worst decision of his career. If KI needed any type of coaster, which I don't think it needs one for a while, a Dive Macine into the woods would be a crowd pleaser. Yes they are not very popular with the enthusiast crowd, but the general public loves them.

I agree. Plus, I know I'm not the only one who got bored very quickly of TTD. I would love to see a dive machine or invert. Either would make me really happy.

Whatever they do, if it is coaster or SOB teared down or retracked, we should start to see some work soon..........

And Titan, "^^^ I'd have to disagree with this statement. A strata-coaster would not fit the park at all. And as the person above me said, they are a nightmare to keep running. Also the Eiffel Tower is a centerpiece of the park. If they put in a coaster that's taller than it, then it would look very odd and Eiffel Tower wouldn't be the "main" attraction anymore. "

Well, you have a point, but you think that nothing taller that 300 will ever be built than?

When Mr. Kinzel admitted in 2005 to Motley Fool that TTD was his worst business decision, TTD was still having numerous issues. TTD's issues have fallen in numbers drastically since 2006.

It would be interesting to hear if he still feels that way or if DT has retaken the top spot.

I think it's no big deal if SOB just sits there while they add another coaster. They haven't been in a rush to make a decision, and I don't think they will until something reasonable is proposed.

I'm not a wood coaster expert, but I don't think the cost to make SOB operational again is going to be that different if it sits there for another year or two.

Just watched a POV on iSpeed, and something like that would be perfect! Or something similar to Maverick at Cedar Point. I love Maverick, the inversions on it are really smooth, and it proves that a ride doesn't have to be 200 feet tall to be extremely fun!

Hahahaha, that's golden. ^^and I completely agree with the high capacity notion; Kings Island feels like it is becoming more and more crowded!

I honestly think, and I was thinking about this last time I rode FD, they should have pathways go under FD and lead to a new area, Maybe not have anything too complex, but I feel like the walkway right next to FD's unofficial 2nd entrance, is just a great thing to walk by. It just makes the area cool, in a way. And if a new area, or just a new coaster were added that reached towards GWL, then more people would walk passed there.

But the realistic truth is that Kings Island has many, many possibilities for new rides and expansions. They probably wouldn't do the FD thing, but I feel like it might add to some life back by FD.

And I honestly am a little saddened that DA will receive additions every year. I don't think it's worth the time. My dad and I didn't enjoy it, my little sister was scared of the things and only liked the dig site, and my 11 year old sister was the only one that liked it, but she was still upset that the dinosaurs had timers and that if you were behind people they most likely wouldn't do anything for you.

Maybe I'm bashing but, I still really love KI as a whole, that's just my two cents

Looking at iSpeed it seems like it would fit the area perfectly, could be the centerpiece of an AZ reno, and fits the theme of what it seems to replace. Plus if it were to go over the path like that picture shows it would be awesome to look at.

Something high capacity? We certainly need something with an appropriate throughput for a medium-sized Midwest amusement park, but I don't think there's any need to install any more "giant" rides or anything. After all, do you wait longer than 15 minutes for any ride on a week day? Meanwhile, at Cedar Point, you're looking at at least an hour for three or four of the attractions... I wouldn't say there's a desperate need for 2000 pph rides.

But God, I'd love to see something by Intamin. A mega-lite or a blitz coaster (which is what Maverick and iSpeed are, I believe) would be awesome, but I'd want one that's a little longer like Maverick and has a trick or two up its sleeve (to me, the hidden second launch truly makes the ride). But yeah, Kings Island now has a signature steel coaster with Diamondback, but I think it needs another great one to really earn it a spot in the list of best amusement parks. TPR said a con of Kings Island is that there are many coasters, but few stand-out ones. I think that's true really... And to have one smooth, airtime B&M coaster and another quick, agile Intamin accelerator would really round us out nicely and give us some really great coasters (Diamondback, new coaster, Flight of Fear, Beast, Racer...) Especially with the new CEO at the helm, my imagination runs wild with how well a ride like Maverick could be themed at Kings Island, racing through the forest, dodging trees and maybe even launching around a pond like Maverick does...

I don't think the industry will see another strata-coaster anytime soon. Maintenance problems with Kingda Ka (and Top Thrill Dragster for that matter) pretty much killed the coaster wars, because it became obvious we were getting ahead of ourselves. Then there's the good ole' economy.

A new coaster is possible, but I just don't see Cedar Fair putting in another coaster anywhere before adding one to Knott's or Cedar Point, even if it means re-distributing rides from California's Great America like they did Geauga Lake. I'm sticking by my gut that it will either have something to do with Action Zone or something to do with Boomerang Bay. Both are starting to get run-down, and could use some livening up.

*sighs* Some things never change. lol

Enjoy this season before you start worrying about next season!

So after all this time you decided to stop in and knock KIC members around a bit, you are right "some things never change". :D

Good to hear from you TheKlockster I hope all is well your way