August Announcement?

jdawg1998

There are many things that would be a good fit for Kings Island in my opinion. I'm sure that there are many options discussed within KI and with Cedar Fair Leadership. There may also be many items shown on a multi year masterplan for the park, but that doesn't mean any of them will be announced in August (if anything is). A couple of thoughts:

• In reality, there are only a couple of major areas of the park that haven't had significant work done in the last few years: Action Zone and Boomerang Bay
  • If there was going to be a major coaster next year, there would be some signs of it already
  • It's unlikely that Action Zone will get attention until the future of SoB is determined

I'd personally love to see further maintenance/improvement of the existing theme/experience - carrousel organ, tower gardens, festhaus - along with a couple of retro flats (Antique Cars, Tea Cups) or maybe even a Kings Island history exhibit, but that's just me.

Not saying I'd turn down a shiny new coaster, or be disappointed with an expansion of Boomerang Bay though.

I remember Mr. Gramke telling us at Ride Warrior weekend or KIC Day around 2 or 3 years ago to look for a ride transplant. There was parks they was going to sale then so things may have changed. I still think the park out west could be closed if there was to be one closed soon. This would be where I would be looking for the next ride to come from if it's a transplant.

If they are going to be buying a new coaster you know they pay for them with the Euro. ;)

And if they are closing Great America, their top spin might be a fantastic transplant for ours (though I continue to hope one day our Giant Top Spin may make room for a well-themed suspended top spin placed in our current Crypt building and utilizing what's left in there).

Well, I looked back and saw that we saw signs of Diamondback in may, so a Big Hunkin Major coaster is out of the plan, but we are still in June, a smaller coaster or a large flat could still be coming............. If we don't see any signs of a coaster by middle of July, I think it is safe to rule out a coaster

Well, I looked back and saw that we saw signs of Diamondback in may.....

We saw survey markers and clearing in October of 2007. Long, long before May. In fact, there was quite a hubbah about illegally captured pictures that surfaced in February 2008 of Swan Lake drained (Yeah, that old pond that used to be there, remember?...No?....Oh, well, moving on then...)

Speaking on a Cedar Fair as a whole note here........ I think Valley Fair, Worlds of Fun, Michigan's Adventure, Knott's and Wonderland deserve a Coaster or a major ride before KI gets one. Spread the money around.

Guest PizzaBaby027

I talked with a feller in the festhaus, the area supervisor of the entertainment. He told me they were planing to change the name of the festhaus to fit a country, barn them. That's our goal to fit a Country theme. I like it but he said they dropped the idea, of changing the name only because it wouldn't be original!!

Speaking on a Cedar Fair as a whole note here........ I think Valley Fair, Worlds of Fun, Michigan's Adventure, Knott's and Wonderland deserve a Coaster or a major ride before KI gets one. Spread the money around.

But for better or worse, this is not a business of equality, but of equity.

Equality would be that each and every Cedar Fair theme park gets exactly the same investment every single year.

Equity would suggest that everyone gets what they need, even if its different from what someone else needs.

I expect that I will never see the day when Michigan's Adventure receives a $24 million hypercoaster. It is a small, locally-targeted, family-aimed park not unlike the old Geauga Lake before (and now, after) its Six Flags days. The attendance at the parks drives the investment. As of 2010, the top three seasonal parks owned by Cedar Fair are Canada's Wonderland, Kings Island, and Cedar Point in that order. Cedar Fair's investment has been greatest in those three parks, and I imagine it will continue to be. In purchasing the Paramount Parks, they also came into ownership of other medium-sized regional parks that they have helped "beef up," like Carowinds and Kings Dominion.

Will parks like Worlds of Fun, Michigan's Adventure, and Valleyfair be invested in? Certainly. But we're talking about a much different scale I think. Prowler is a fantastic ride and is perfect for Worlds of Fun, but it was an $8,000,000 investment. That's appropriate for a park that size. The same year, Kings Island was given an addition that cost nearly three times as much, and that was entirely appropriate for a park our size. I don't think any Valleyfair fans are expecting the next Intamin giga-coaster to go there, and in my opinion, they probably shouldn't.

That all being said, there is a new president and soon to be CEO coming aboard. It is certainly safe to say that the way the parks are run, capitalized, and perhaps even marketed ( in every sense of that word) may be very different than the recent past. I have every reason to suspect the gentleman was not retained merely to preserve the status quo ante. Right, Bart? Oh, Bart--pay attention, your job may well now depend on your performance, right Son?

But for better or worse, this is not a business of equality, but of equity.

Equality would be that each and every Cedar Fair theme park gets exactly the same investment every single year.

Equity would suggest that everyone gets what they need, even if its different from what someone else needs.

I expect that I will never see the day when Michigan's Adventure receives a $24 million hypercoaster. It is a small, locally-targeted, family-aimed park not unlike the old Geauga Lake before (and now, after) its Six Flags days. The attendance at the parks drives the investment. As of 2010, the top three seasonal parks owned by Cedar Fair are Canada's Wonderland, Kings Island, and Cedar Point in that order. Cedar Fair's investment has been greatest in those three parks, and I imagine it will continue to be. In purchasing the Paramount Parks, they also came into ownership of other medium-sized regional parks that they have helped "beef up," like Carowinds and Kings Dominion.

Will parks like Worlds of Fun, Michigan's Adventure, and Valleyfair be invested in? Certainly. But we're talking about a much different scale I think. Prowler is a fantastic ride and is perfect for Worlds of Fun, but it was an $8,000,000 investment. That's appropriate for a park that size. The same year, Kings Island was given an addition that cost nearly three times as much, and that was entirely appropriate for a park our size. I don't think any Valleyfair fans are expecting the next Intamin giga-coaster to go there, and in my opinion, they probably shouldn't.

Very, very, very well said. They do tend to invest more in certain parks.

I don't think Kings Island will get a big roller coaster next year... they haven't done much to the water park for awhile so maybe a new slide or something. I dream about Son of Beast getting a texas giant treatment but they would already be working on that by now.

I am good friends with an associate there............... of course he didn't tell me what, because that would not be fair, but he did say they WERE getting something next year, just not a massive thing

They don't tell associates ANYTHING. So unless your "good friend" is either an area supe or in park management.. And if he is and is telling you these kind of things...

They will add an attraction to the park that will attract people to the park something that says OMG we have to go to Kings Island. I dont think a family ride will be in the future.