Interesting Things Ride-Ops Do

G-Force

I remember quite a few years ago after boarding the tram back to the parking lot listening to the microphone operator saying things like "Welcome to our two week tour of the parking lot. I hope everyone's already been to the restroom" and "Welcome to the only other area where you might see animals beside the Lion Country Safari. I've personally seen Cougars, Mavericks, Pintos and Mustangs roaming free so be careful".

Mike B.

These are some great lines...i'm glad you remembered them!

Last Year the night before Coaster Mania I was riding Millennium Force and the Ride Op. Said "Welcome to Jr. Gemini, please Secure all lose..." And when they got back a different Ride Op. at the other station said "Welcome Back Demon Drop Riders, how was your ride!?" And Someone said, "Oh my god, We just rode Demon Drop? I don't remember it Being this good!" Ha...

Probably the one memory of ride ops was at Busch Gardens Williamsburg on Drachen Fire. I took my first ride with a full train and during the ride it started to rain lightly. As we got back to the station it was full, but nobody wanted to ride in the rain, the ops said the ride would stay open if anyone wanted to keep ridding. Like any enthusiast I marathoned the ride for 12 circuits in a steady rain. Just me on the train and every time the train pulled back in the station the ride op on the mic would comment about the beating I was taking, by the mid point the ops were cheering me on to keep going. After completing my 12th circuit I crawled out of the train, face bright red from being pelted by rain and brain scrambled from the extremely rough ride Drachen Fire provided, 2 ride ops helped me out of the train as they all clapped and the rest of the station clapped. The Op on the mic made a comment he hadn't seen a beating like that outside of a Bruce Lee movie. I sat in the station for a few minutes afterwards to recover and eventually left to join the rest of my party. Before the night was over I went back to Drachen Fire for one more ride and the same Ops were there. When I got in the train the Op on the mic made sure to tell the entire station what I had done earlier in the day and that they should all clap for me.

Pretty cool experience, I don't think my brain has ever been right since though.

• Like 1

These may be old hat to some of you, but I heard both of these from The Beast crew today:

1. "Kings Island, where else?...Actually I can think of a few other places, but for marketing purposes we'll say No Where!"

2. "Sit down and first fasten your seat belt. If you aren't sure how to do this, just imagine yourself in a car...this is very similar."

On Sunday, there was a girl referring to The Beast ride as "A Journey through the Goody Goody Gum Drop Forest." She kept going in that speil and asked each returning car how they liked their trip to Gum Drop Land.

The kids loved it. Me- not so much.

I tried to think of some fun spiels whenever I worked Delirium because that ride always had a portable mic. My personal favorite was, "Welcome back..... gather your lose belongings and exit towards Drop Tower. If you don't know what Drop Tower is, it is the big tower that drops you." At least I thought I was funny. :P

Ride op at Beast to child standing on queue gate: "PLEASE DO NOT RIDE THE GATES. THEY ARE NOT THE ATTRACTION." Funny funny!!!

I was quite soured at Diamondback when the ride op with the wireless mic was repeating, 'Michigan sucks' So what if you go to Ohio State? King's Island is a family establishment and although I realize it's 2009 and Diamondback isn't geared towards younger children (who are less likely to be in line hearing words like 'sucks'), I was VERY put off by an employee being comfortable using language that is a gateway to worse four letter words.

Looking back, I should have gone to guest relations. Hope it doesn't happen again.

Ride op at Beast to child standing on queue gate: "PLEASE DO NOT RIDE THE GATES. THEY ARE NOT THE ATTRACTION." Funny funny!!!

I was quite soured at Diamondback when the ride op with the wireless mic was repeating, 'Michigan sucks' So what if you go to Ohio State? King's Island is a family establishment and although I realize it's 2009 and Diamondback isn't geared towards younger children (who are less likely to be in line hearing words like 'sucks'), I was VERY put off by an employee being comfortable using language that is a gateway to worse four letter words.

Looking back, I should have gone to guest relations. Hope it doesn't happen again.

But Michigan DOES suck!

A guy at The Beast stated that in the 3 underground tunnels were killer chickens that were hungry.

The guy at Diamondback who says not to throw the shoes at him also has called Diamondback Kingda Ka. Said that DB went 150 mph. I am really put off by stuff like that... at least give the correct speed and height of the ride, even if you play with names. Even then, they should only use names in the same park...

BTW our Flight Deck is a Vortex at a different park.

http://rcdb.com/ig65.htm?picture=9

When I worked at RHino Rally at Busch Gardens Tampa I had a joke that included the sky ride into African theme of the ride... "Look up in the sky! It's a bird, it's a plane, it's the African Flying Tourist. You can tell them apart from other toursits because of their bucket shaped bodies, and multiple heads. We number them to track their migration."

Or come around a corner and yell "D U C K ! ! !, right there, that's an african killer duck. DO not make eye contact, they will fly uphead and quack your head open."

"These elephants like to use us as target practice." I would say this if an elephant was standing at the edge of the cliff waiting to throw dirt at the Land Rovers as they go by. And yes... the elephants amuse themselves by throwing dirt at the Land Rovers....lol

On the river portion right after the bridge breaks off, "RESCUE ONE, RESCUE ONE, COME IN RESCUE ONE, DO YOU READ? DO YOU READ?.... THEY DON'T KNOW HOW TO READ!!!!"

At one point the ride started to move a little faster.. "Oh no, we're moving faster! What's at the end of fast moving water? " Usually i got no response so i would say, "I'll give you a hint, it starts with 'water' and ends in 'fall'!"

• Like 1

Last time I went to Kings Island we rode Adventure Express right before the park closed. Half way up the final chain lift, the ride op stopped the ride for 10 seconds or so and talked to the riders in an evil voice, ending his message with "MWAHAHAHAHA".

Now that I look back, that was the best Adventure Express ride I've had.

A guy at The Beast stated that in the 3 underground tunnels were killer chickens that were hungry.

I'm betting the exact phrase was "killer chickens that haven't been fed in weeks" among other things that are in those tunnels only in the land of Brad!

^Brad is so funny. lol :lol: The first time I ever heard him talk was the day when you were the only one still in the station during the rain. That was one of the best times at the park. lol

And apparently I'm crazy for wanting to ride in the rain! I don't care what the whether is...I want my Beast fix!!!! Yes, I quite agree that it was a fun time, and Brad is definitely funny.

Last year when I went up the day after school let out, the ride op on SOB went by and was going, "Check, check, check." My friend goes, "Am I check check on the check check?" The ride op laughing at him says, "You sir, are check check on the check check."

• Like 1

One of the ride ops for The Beast said they arrested someone for sitting on hand rails.

Last time I went to Kings Island we rode Adventure Express right before the park closed. Half way up the final chain lift, the ride op stopped the ride for 10 seconds or so and talked to the riders in an evil voice, ending his message with "MWAHAHAHAHA".

Now that I look back, that was the best Adventure Express ride I've had.

That is awesome! I'm suprised they're allowed to do that (Are they???). Anyways that sound like an awesome experience! Oh, you just reminded me of one! Way back, when I was 7ish, I was riding Phantom Theater and the ride-op stopped the ride mid-course. Then suddenly the animatronic in front of us (I think it was the Houdini one) turned his head and said "It looks like you won't be going anywhere anytime soon! Muahaha!". Now that was awesome!

But isn't that a wonderful thing for a family from Michigan to hear? Quite frankly, that is VERY inappropriate for a ride op to say, in Ohio or anywhere else...

Anyone that that is said to will not be offended. There is a reason that the OSU-Michigan game is the greatest rivalry in sports. Giving crap to opposing fans is not only expected, but encouraged.