Interesting Things Ride-Ops Do

G-Force

Haha my freind went a whole ride with his seat belt unbuckled on it once and the guy who selld the pic at the end saw it and gave my freind a very stern talking to.

I'm surprised. Usually the photo people don't care.

I saw a photo from Vortex where the kid had stuck his arms in between the shoulder restraint and was leaning completely out of it - basically he'd made it into a lap bar. I pointed it out to the photo people and they just shrugged. Didn't even block it.

I have to say, that little coaster is awesome in the back seat.

My kids love it. I'd say we rode it over a dozen times last weekend, and I had to take turn with each of my girls in the main back seat. Makes me proud *wipes tear* hehhehe ;)

There was an awesome ride op at Wicked Twister Wednesday night. He was saying the most random things and it was hilarious. "Welcome to Wicked Twister. Please secure all lose articles including hats, cell phone, keys, glasses, and easy bake ovens." I also enjoyed, "Welcome back Wal Mart shoppers how was your ride!" He also asked a train who wanted to launch backwards and everyone screamed yes. He said ok and counted down the launch and of course it launched forwards. :rolleyes:

Dear Kings Island ride operators:

Please stop placing unnecessary articles in front of ride names. Examples: THE Diamondback. THE Adventure Express. THERE IS NO "THE" IN ANY OF THE RIDE NAMES, excepting the following: The Beast, The Racer.

Sincerely,

A Concerned Fan.

Oh, really?

The Wild Thornberrysâ„¢ River Adventure (according to the Family Rides page, but NOT the Nick Universe page!)

The Crypt

In the Rider Safety Guide, The Beast is missing the The. The Racer is also missing its.

Sources:

http://www.visitkingsisland.com

and

http://www.visitkingsisland.com/images/att...ridersafety.pdf

I apologize. The Crypt sucks so badly that it's hard to remember it exists some times. :lol:

I also did not realize Wild ThornBerry's had a "the."

So that is a total of four rides with a the in the title. However, it still applies to Diamondback and Adventure Express (I yelled "There is no THE!!" every time I heard it at both these stations last night), as well as Son of Beast, Drop Tower, Vortex, Firehawk, and many other rides.

I thought it was kind of cool how when Gigacoaster and myself were waiting for Slingshot last night the ride op that was managing the queue was giving each group of riders advice on how to flip the cage or keep the cage from flipping, whichever they preferred.

Worst of all is when even ride ops add a second The, not just one, as in:

"The Son of The Beast"

Yes, I've heard even ride ops do that.

The SoB spiel says "The Son of Beast." The price tag on my SoB shirt said "The Son of The Beast". (At least it didn't say "Cedar Point" like some of the price tags!!)

Ride ops aren't doing anything wrong when they say, for example, "Enjoy your ride on the Firehawk". It is proper grammar because "Firehawk" is a noun. The same goes for when you're at a restaurant, perhaps Applebees, and you order "the New York Strip," even though on the menu it is listed as New York Strip. :P

Really? Throwing a fit for adding THE word THE. It just doesn't sound right to say "Thanks for riding Vortex" or "Thanks for riding Racer". Especially not "Enjoy your ride on Racer". It's English, you should maybe learn it before you start complaining and looking like an idiot in the station.

I apologize. The Crypt sucks so badly that it's hard to remember it exists some times. :lol:

I also did not realize Wild ThornBerry's had a "the."

So that is a total of four rides with a the in the title. However, it still applies to Diamondback and Adventure Express (I yelled "There is no THE!!" every time I heard it at both these stations last night), as well as Son of Beast, Drop Tower, Vortex, Firehawk, and many other rides.

I agree! It gets VERY annoying too!

The last time I ws at CP, we went and rode wicked twister. The girl in the op booth decided to make the instructions of securing yourself in your seat more colorful and interesting than normal. She would say,"please pull down on your sunshine yellow shoulder restraints, and secure your midnight black seatbelts. Then, one of these fine young men will come to make sure you wont be flung out of your seat durring the ride."

haha. Then as the guys were checking our seats, (one of their names was Nick), the girls said if you are checked by a guy named nick, congratulate him because he just won a big sumo wrestling competition. (haha, this guy was smalle than me!!)......haha maybe you had to be there. I just thought it was funny.

Really? Throwing a fit for adding THE word THE. It just doesn't sound right to say "Thanks for riding Vortex" or "Thanks for riding Racer". Especially not "Enjoy your ride on Racer". It's English, you should maybe learn it before you start complaining and looking like an idiot in the station.

Regardless of proper english, the park does not have any such rides as The Diamondback, The Invertigo, The Firehawk, etc etc. Kat is entitled to her opinion, and you are entitled to yours. One person's opinion may seem slightly misguided to the other person, but that still does not necessitate name-calling. I would very much appreciate it if you would edit your post.

Well you're in luck, because as was already mentioned, The Racer has the "the" in it and therefore is okay to say. Adding the word "the" unnecessarily to a ride name is annoying because it isn't the proper title of the ride. Using the name of the ride in a sentence is not any different than using a person's name without the word "the." I wouldn't say to you, enjoy your day the teenageninja. It's just not necessary. "Enjoy your ride on Vortex" works just fine. It's the name of the ride.

Now, being rude to someone for expressing what they have issues with is not something that's in good spirits. We all have our own fetishes about things, and that's perfectly fine. I'm sure you have things that bother you. For me, adding a "the" is noticeable, but I don't throw a fit over it. I do, however, get very blunt with people who add an "s" to the end of The Racer. It's the same reason. The "s" isn't a part of the ride name and isn't necessary.

Before you start becoming insulting to some, why don't you think about it in a different way. Your telling me that if someone said "Hey! Look! Its THE Diamondback!" you wouldn't find that highly annoying? I would. And every example you posted sounds just fine. Might want to work on your English buddy. ;)

Regardless of proper english, the park does not have any such rides as The Diamondback, The Invertigo, The Firehawk, etc etc. Kat is entitled to her opinion, and you are entitled to yours. One person's opinion may seem slightly misguided to the other person, but that still does not necessitate name-calling. I would very much appreciate it if you would edit your post.

At Kings Island, you can ride the Diamondback, the Invertigo, the Firehawk. The Diamondback is a ride at Kings Island, so is the Invertigo, the Firehawk is another rollercoaster at Kings Island. I'm not calling the ride "The Diamondback", I'm simply saying the "Diamondback" is a roller coaster at Kings Island. So when a ride operator says "Enjoy your ride on the Diamondback", they are saying nothing wrong.

Well you're in luck, because as was already mentioned, The Racer has the "the" in it and therefore is okay to say. Adding the word "the" unnecessarily to a ride name is annoying because it isn't the proper title of the ride. Using the name of the ride in a sentence is not any different than using a person's name without the word "the." I wouldn't say to you, enjoy your day the teenageninja. It's just not necessary. "Enjoy your ride on Vortex" works just fine. It's the name of the ride.

Of course you wouldn't say "Enjoy your day the teenageninja", but you also wouldn't say "Enjoy your day Vortex." Your point is irrelevant. I can properly say "I'm going to take a ride on the teenageninja." :lol:

So...... back on topic...

GatorGirl and I got in line for Monster (no "The") at about 9:15 last night, and the lights on the ride were not on which I thought was unusual since it was pretty dark out and all the other rides in Coney had their lights on already. While we were in line, the ride started, and during the cycle the ride op said "Monster riders, if you want the lights turned on, scream as loud as you can at the count of three. 1, 2, 3." *riders scream* "That wasn't loud enough... 1, 2, 3." *riders scream louder* With that second scream, the ride op turned the lights on. GatorGirl and I were quite impressed with the sight.

Things that I used to do way back in my ride op days...

I used to do the "world's longest water ride" joke previously mentioned.

When working Flight of Fear, I'd do a countdown "Launching in 5, 4, 1, goodbye!" *launch* People in the station would often ask what happened to 2 and 3. I said the aliens abducted them.

I would often say "Enjoy the rest of your day here at Kings Island, home of *insert ride no one cares about here*" Frequent attractions were "Little Bill's Giggle Coaster, and it's terrifying 8 1/2 foot drop" and Viking Fury.

Frequently used "Please do not sit, stand, climb, or perform acrobatic feats on our handrails."

Flying Eagles was also a fun one to work. When starting the ride, I'd do the "Shave and a haircut" on the starting bell, and the ride op at Shake Rattle & Roll would finish it off with the "Two bits". Either that, or the other way around.

For those who are not keen on what "Shave and a haircut" is... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shave_and_a_Haircut

I would often say "Enjoy the rest of your day here at Kings Island, home of *insert ride no one cares about here*" Frequent attractions were "Little Bill's Giggle Coaster, and it's terrifying 8 1/2 foot drop" and Viking Fury.

But someone does care about those two! Viking Fury is GatorGirl's favorite ride in the park, and LBGC is her 2nd favorite coaster. I imagine those rides are very popular with the 40 - 42" population! :lol:

Things that I used to do way back in my ride op days...

I used to do the "world's longest water ride" joke previously mentioned.

When working Flight of Fear, I'd do a countdown "Launching in 5, 4, 1, goodbye!" *launch* People in the station would often ask what happened to 2 and 3. I said the aliens abducted them.

Frequently used "Please do not sit, stand, climb, or perform acrobatic feats on our handrails."

Flying Eagles was also a fun one to work. When starting the ride, I'd do the "Shave and a haircut" on the starting bell, and the ride op at Shake Rattle & Roll would finish it off with the "Two bits". Either that, or the other way around.

For those who are not keen on what "Shave and a haircut" is... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shave_and_a_Haircut

some ride ops still do that for Flight of Fear they would be like 5.4. and u would be gone

At The Racer yesterday, one of the ride ops said something about "3,514 feet of sick, nasty track". Also, the DB ride ops were having fun saying "... here at Kings Island, the former home of <insert defunct ride here>" during ERT.

hahaha i know who said that on The Racer! Troy. thats so weird

but you also wouldn't say "Enjoy your day Vortex."

You obviously don't know me! I talk to all of the coasters like they're my friends...mostly because they are. I have on many occasions said, "See ya later, Vortex." I should say your point is irrelevant because I can come up with a case against it, but I don't wish to be rude.