Interesting Things Ride-Ops Do

G-Force

this guy running the zepher last year was bored on a super slow day after a storm and he kept going common ride the zepher,its the coolest ride ever,ill be your friend,i promise good things will happen to you if you ride it.yea he was bored

The other day at Great Adventure, a bored Bizarro ride op convinced everyone in the station that it was another ride ops birthday. And by the time the train returned to the station, everybody was singing Happy Birthday to him.laugh.gif

While boarding that train, my dad asked how many birthdays he had this season.tongue.gif

That's priceless, I went to Cedar Point and I watched the last show ever for their extreme sports show. Just luck I guess, but at the end they told us to wish one of the members a happy 1-day early birthday. And I was skeptical as to do so, as I wasn't sure if it really was. But I said whoo like everyone else regardless... don't want to be rude do you?

That's priceless, I went to Cedar Point and I watched the last show ever for their extreme sports show. Just luck I guess, but at the end they told us to wish one of the members a happy 1-day early birthday. And I was skeptical as to do so, as I wasn't sure if it really was. But I said whoo like everyone else regardless... don't want to be rude do you?

It was obviously not really the ride ops birthday. All the other ops were laughing while people were singing. And he said it was his 4th or 5th birhday this season. biggrin.gif

Yesterday on Beast, one of the ride ops said "Have a Beast-tastic day here at Kings Island", and over at Racer, Bryan had passed on some really bad jokes to one of the female ride ops, who was repeating them to the guests in the station.

On a semi-related note, I happened to witness guests being evacuated from the final brake run of Firehawk yesterday, and was impressed with how quickly and calmly the situation was handled. One of the ride ops carried cups of ice water out to the stranded guests, and managers began manually releasing the restraints and helping guests off the ride once maintenance had apparently determined that they could not remedy the situation quickly. I estimate that stranded guests were evacuated within 15 minutes of the time the ride went down. It also looked like they were having guests fill out a form of some sort (guests were being given clipboards and being directed what to do by one of the ride ops), so they may have been reimbursing guests for their troubles (laying in that position in the bright sunlight for 15 minutes can't be fun).

Zephyr: "If you're happy and you know clap your hands. If you're happy and you know it clap your hands. If your happy and you know it and you really want to show it if you're happy and you know it clap your hands. If your happy and you know it stomp your feet. Ohhhhhhhh, too bad.laugh.gif

I did that often when I worked on Diamondback, often when kids rode because when sitting all the way back some of them couldn't reach the floor! :)

Before I write this I want to say that most of the ride ops at KI are GREAT! Having said that, I would like to make a request of the male ride ops that read these forums.

Would you PLEASE share with the female ride ops who work on The Beast, and Diamondback the potential of pain and damage that can be inflicted on men if you get in too big a hurry and push down too hard and fast on the restraint bar!

There is a REASON we leave that bar a click looser than women do. If they don't understand why, feel free to be as graphic as necessary to get the point across!

Thank You

Ride On!!! (hopefully in not a too high pitched voice!)

Was anyone riding The Racer yesterday? I rode with my niece about three times between 2 and 4, every time the guys driving the Red and Blue sides would try to get their side to cheer louder than their counterpart sides and then they'd talk trash to each other. It was hilarious and despite the small crowd, people were loving it.

The Racer crew on Saturday:

"If you win a giant stuffed animal, you can ride with it! Just strap it in next to you and we'll take a picture! (Obvious sarcasm)"

"This is the tallest wooden coaster in Coney Mall! (sees my Top Thrill Dragster shirt) Wow, really? This ride is SO much better than Top Thrill Dragster!"

Was anyone riding The Racer yesterday? I rode with my niece about three times between 2 and 4, every time the guys driving the Red and Blue sides would try to get their side to cheer louder than their counterpart sides and then they'd talk trash to each other. It was hilarious and despite the small crowd, people were loving it.

We were riding Racer yesterday, I didn't hear them say that to us but I did hear them say when they were dispatching trains:

Blue side All clear exclamation point

Red side replied: All clear period

While waiting to get on the next train for The Beast, one of the female ride ops started a "If you wanna ride The Beast, clap your hands" song. It was hilarious, and almost everyone joined in. It was quite refreshing to see ride ops having a bit of fun, and I'm still surprised at how much better that made the ride experience.

On sunday the ride operator for the blue train told us to watch out for a bear name Randolph. I asked him if there really was a bear.. of course he said there really was. We saw no bear... and we were severely disappointed.. lol. We tried asking where the darn bear was.. but the operator was gone by the time we got back into the station.

So, my friend and I think the bear.. ran'd off.. haha get it? Rand-olph..

On sunday the ride operator for the blue train told us to watch out for a bear name Randolph. I asked him if there really was a bear.. of course he said there really was. We saw no bear... and we were severely disappointed.. lol. We tried asking where the darn bear was.. but the operator was gone by the time we got back into the station.

So, my friend and I think the bear.. ran'd off.. haha get it? Rand-olph..

There is a wooden bear in the woods right before the crossing on the left side on the way to Boomerang Bay.

Here's an interesting thing ride ops (all park employees for that matter) do: the great majority of them are happy, cheerful, pleasant, and polite at any time of the day. Working double shifts as I know some do, dealing with the same "stupid tourist" guests doing the same "stupid" things repeatedly, asking "stupid" questions, and the like must be extremely tiring for them, yet they usually manage to do it with aplomb. I always try to put myself in the other person's shoes - this year, having made as many KI trips as the previous years of my life combined, I really noticed what they were doing. I've learned how to be the best guest I can be as I've watched them handle the worst of the guests well.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an interesting thing ride ops (all park employees for that matter) do: the great majority of them are happy, cheerful, pleasant, and polite at any time of the day. Working double shifts as I know some do, dealing with the same "stupid tourist" guests doing the same "stupid" things repeatedly, asking "stupid" questions, and the like must be extremely tiring for them, yet they usually manage to do it with aplomb. I always try to put myself in the other person's shoes - this year, having made as many KI trips as the previous years of my life combined, I really noticed what they were doing. I've learned how to be the best guest I can be as I've watched them handle the worst of the guests well.

I for one can tell you its hard sometimes to keep your calm when it comes to some of the guests that we deal with. Its good to just sometimes take a step back and place our selfs it there shoes and think if i was here on my vacation and this happened to me, how would i feel. then we apply that to the situation and work it out to a point that would make me satisfied if I was to be placed in that kind of position. Now there are some really dump things that guest say and do that you just shake you head, and keep you mouth shut..Like tonite, I had a guest say that Diamondback wasnt that fastest ride in the park. That The Racer was the fastest. lol oh and you cant never fail with the adults that say there wife or girlfriends to short to ride. ITs thinks like that, that makes your job fun, you never know what to expect most of the time...

I love riding The Beast late at night and seeing the ride ops interacting with each other and talking up the crowd waiting in line. Something about The Beast at night, it just brings out the best in not only the people, but the ride ops as well. Such as, "Who's ready to ride The Beast?" "I can't hear you!!" "Come on you can be louder than that!!"