Interesting Things Ride-Ops Do

G-Force

When will guys trying to impress girls learn not to mess with the ride ops? These employees are there for hours on end dealing with genuine problems and guys who think they're going to get a zinger or smart comment past one of them.

"Sunday, a twenty something guy with his date, guy friend, and guy friend's date were entering DB's line. There were quite a few people around and a long time ride op holding the height pipe. This show off stops the flow of people to the entrance and sarcastically says to the ride op, " Am I tall enough?" The ride op even more sarcastically says, "Barely" His group and a number of people around him laughed at the ride op's comeback. The guy just ducked his head and went quickly forward.

A little later the same ride op was asked by someone trying to look cool for his friends how many trains are they going to run. The ride op somewhat sarcastically replied: "We decided to run all 3 trains today"

They're there all day, and clearly have repeatedly used much better zingers than anything a guy on a date could come up with.

• Like 2

In Ohio you can have a convention in Geneva, have lunch in London, fly a bomber over Lancaster, do a jig in Dublin, cross over to Delaware, eat at a deli in Brooklyn, visit Athens and Troy, have a shocking experience in Moscow and you can do that all today, or you can just go to Morrow. :)

• Like 2

When will guys trying to impress girls learn not to mess with the ride ops? These employees are there for hours on end dealing with genuine problems and guys who think they're going to get a zinger or smart comment past one of them.

"Sunday, a twenty something guy with his date, guy friend, and guy friend's date were entering DB's line. There were quite a few people around and a long time ride op holding the height pipe. This show off stops the flow of people to the entrance and sarcastically says to the ride op, " Am I tall enough?" The ride op even more sarcastically says, "Barely" His group and a number of people around him laughed at the ride op's comeback. The guy just ducked his head and went quickly forward.

A little later the same ride op was asked by someone trying to look cool for his friends how many trains are they going to run. The ride op somewhat sarcastically replied: "We decided to run all 3 trains today"

They're there all day, and clearly have repeatedly used much better zingers than anything a guy on a date could come up with.

Snowman I appreciate your post and for shedding some light of what some of the ride-ops go through on some days. I am guilty of trying to joke with ride-ops at times and this past weekend had a very similar example of what you described, but with a different outcome. Let me share;

This past weekend I attended Cedar Points Coaster Mania Event with two great friends and got to share conversations and rides with other KIC members. Well on one of those days when I was with my travel friends we went to get on a ride and a child ahead of us needed to be checked for height, well without thinking but in a joking way I told the ride-op that you may need to check my friend too. The ride-op without skipping a beat smiled and said OK and proceeds to raise the stick up to almost the top of his head and said I don't know but yeah go ahead. We walked away laughing about the situation and shared some fun vocal jabs back and forth.

I know the rid-ops work hard and they must be very tired and frustrated working in the outdoors. I did not mean any disrespect to the ride-op and was just a trying to be funny by taking advantage of the moment. Here is the thing in the two situations of the one you shared and mine. Which guest went away feeling jovial and which one felt a bit embarrassed and humbled?

The thing is we all are human and at times we may try to be funny when out with friends and say things without too much thought on a whim, but does that make us bad…no it does not. The ride-ops have a never ending opportunity to decide how they want to handle these types of comments. I do believe as you say "They're there all day, and clearly have repeatedly used much better zingers than anything a guy on a date could come up with" but hope they remember how they would want to be treated on their day at a park with friends and will respond appropriately to the situation. The ride-ops are truly on the front line and in many ways are part of the face of the park they work for and can make a big difference in a guests experience even if they are kind of jerks at times.

• Like 1

Avatar, if technically possible, you all should add a "like button" for posts.

The thing is this ride op, as with many others, seem to know when to be genuinely funny (as in your case) because the guests are just having fun and in my case, when the guest is annoyingly trying to show off at the expense of the ride-op. You were trying to laugh WITH the ride-op(which I do regularly), this unpleasant person was trying to get others to laugh AT the ride-op. It's a big difference.

• 3 weeks later...

I know there used to be a thread on this, but I can't find it, so I'm starting a new one.

While I was in line for Flight Deck yesterday: "Enjoy your ride on Flight Deck... The coaster that pushes you through the danger zone and takes your breath away!".

Edited by Avatar
Merged your topic with this one

Thanks for the merger Jesse. Guess I should have looked harder :P

While I was in line for The Beast last week, one of the female ride ops was singing a "We love The Beast" song to the tune of Queen's "We Will Rock You". Didn't catch her name, but it was quite creative and the other guests in the station seemed to enjoy it as well.

• 3 weeks later...

<!--quoteo(post=319426:date=Jul 27 2009, 12:44 PM:name=teenageninja)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (teenageninja @ Jul 27 2009, 12:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=319426"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Really? Throwing a fit for adding THE word THE. It just doesn't sound right to say "Thanks for riding Vortex" or "Thanks for riding Racer". Especially not "Enjoy your ride on Racer". It's English, you should maybe learn it before you start complaining and looking like an idiot in the station.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Regardless of proper english, the park does not have any such rides as The Diamondback, The Invertigo, The Firehawk, etc etc. Kat is entitled to her opinion, and you are entitled to yours. One person's opinion may seem slightly misguided to the other person, but that still does not necessitate name-calling. I would very much appreciate it if you would edit your post.

Um, yes, the rides do exist.. you're just acting stupid and being ignorant much like a child would be in attempts to defend Kat's lunacy over the word 'the'. Ride operators can call the ride whatever they want - she has no place correcting them.. If anyone should edit their post, you should.

Haha, that's the same thing I was going to say! While on "The" Vortex the other day, one of the ride operators said, "Enjoy your ride on Vortex, the only coaster at Kings Island to take you upside down 6 times and bust brains!"

I waited to ride The Beast on Friday night and was the last one to jump in line before the fireworks. Once we finally got up to the gates we went towards the back of the train. Once we heard that there would be a limited number of rides, we jumped in an open lane and waited till we heard that it was the last train of the evening. We finally got on to the back car becasue they had to send one more train through, and we sat down and buckeled in. Once we got the all clear the Op said,"Enjoy your last ride on The Beast" and was standing right beside the drive box. about half of the train had left the station when some idiot in the front of the train stuck up their middle fingers and made them E-stop our trian. We were sitting half in the station and half out. The lady with the mic said,"We are going to have to call security." With her saying this she didnt realize that the security guard was already standing there. He went over and talked to the guest and told him if they saw it again they would be asked to leave the park. Funny thing is we were the last train to leave that night and all the other rides were closed.

wow, congratulations on pulling a post that's nearly two years old out of the closet, the qscott86.

The qscott86 didn't just pull up an old post........sometimes it just takes the qscott86 a REALLY long time to post a reply. :D

Not really a specific line to comment on...but I just wanted to say that when I was at the park on Tuesday that the announcer guy...whatever you call him...was doing a great job keeping the "crowd" entertained by saying different things non-stop.

I also think Jeffrey at the Eiffel Tower was trying to make the trip up the tower interesting. :)

I was taking a break in the smoking area next to Zephyr. The ride op asked if the riders wanted to hear a joke. "Two mushrooms got into a crowded elevator. One said to the other, 'there's not much room in here.'"

The fine works of Zephyr crew.