Interesting Things Ride-Ops Do

G-Force

• 1 month later...

When I rode Zephyr on August 4th the op called it "WindSeeker Jr." :lol:

Haha...... You were there August 4th? You should of met some KIC-ers. KIC day rules! You wernt a member then though.

I was also at KI on August 4th! I just didn't know it was a KIC day, and the fact that I wasn't a member yet...You were on WindSeeker for the fireworks? I was on Adventure Express at the same time. ^_^ Nice report!

Darn!

When I rode Zephyr on August 4th the op called it "WindSeeker Jr." :lol:

Haha...... You were there August 4th? You should of met some KIC-ers. KIC day rules! You wernt a member then though.

I was also at KI on August 4th! I just didn't know it was a KIC day, and the fact that I wasn't a member yet...You were on WindSeeker for the fireworks? I was on Adventure Express at the same time. ^_^ Nice report!

Darn!

Yeah I didn't get my email address until August 12, so I didn't have the option of becoming a member on or before August 4th anyway.

Delirium ride op: "As we come around to check your restraints, please do not swing your legs. For some reason, we do not like to be kicked."

The Adventure Express separator was whistling the Raider's March.

Flight Deck driver: "We'll take you swooping, turning, and crashing into the Son of Beast."

• Like 7

Back in April on the 10th I was at Kings Dominion. When I was getting in line and getting on Anaconda a few minutes before the park closed at 6, the ops were singing Ke$ha songs. :lol: As the train was leaving the station I could tell they were truly having a good time. In addition, when the train arrived back at the station, one of them said, "How was your ride?" in a normal tone of voice, quickly followed by another op saying the same thing in an utterly crazy fashion.

Everyone was laughing, including me. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry in advance for the double post.

From Labor Day, September 3rd:

(note: all of these were said by the same op)

"Enjoy your ride on the best coaster in the world: The Vortex!!"

Op: "Welcome back, Train 1! How was your ride?"

Riders: "WOOOHOOOYEAH!!!"

Op: "Wicked Twister! Push down and pull up on your restraint, exit to the left and enjoy the rest of your day at Kings Dominion.........Island.........Point...whatever."

Op: "I win." (he and another op were checking the restraints on a Vortex train that was tested after a technical delay. He finished checking his side of the train first)

Other op: "But it was never a race!"

Op: "That's what the losers always say." :P

That's only a few of them. :lol:

• Like 3

"When orange comes to a complete stop, I'll release your lapbars and you can exit towards The Racer. Thank you for riding Shake, Rattle & Roll and enjoy your day at Kings Island." *orange still spinning* "Any day, now, orange." .... "Orange! Stop spinning!" ... "Yes! Now that orange has stopped spinning, I can let you go."

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

Not ride ops, but the admissions people at the Cedar Point resort gate decided to lower the metal gate as I walked towards it. After looking at me like I was crazy for several seconds, they raised it back up and let me in.

As I walked away, the admissions and security reps were chuckling. Well played, I guess.

EDIT: Several guests witnessed Cedar Point slamming the door on me. One found me at Magnum and asked how I knew those admissions people. I didn't.

Combined with the truck horn incident last year, I'm almost convinced I have a secret enemy who works at Cedar Point. ;)

• Like 5

Hey dare to fly that's Brad that says that right? Also Kat "full train is a cool train started on Beast last year, but sense most of The Beast crew is now at Diamondback, they took it over there. But Beast started it all. As they say "Beast is Best!"

I worked at The Beast in the late 90's and we said "a full train is a cool train" all the time...and it probably started before my time there.

• Like 3

Today at the park, the guy running flight deck kept calling it the tallest, fastest "jet coaster"...Thats news to me considering I'm not sure theres such a thing as a "jet coaster" a

nd also flight deck has a twin at CW so i don't think its the tallest or fastest.

At Carowinds, Afterburn was previously Top Gun: The Jet Coaster. Kings Island's version never was. Also, the Carowinds version was and is a B&M invert.

The Carowinds coaster is both taller and faster.

• Like 2

The ride ops on Beast last Saturday looked like they were having no fun at all. I tried to give one of them a high five, and he grunted at me. I wished a good day to another, and he sarcastically said, "You too."

Maybe they were all out late Friday night? :P

A Beast ride op on Monday said, "I have a joke - it's not my joke - so don't take offense." "How do you know the toothbrush was invented in Kentucky? Because if it was invented anywhere else, it'd be called a teethbrush!"

That was horrible...

• Like 6

Kentucky.

Ohio.

West Virginia.

Tennessee.

Indiana.

Mississippi.

Arkansas.

Georgia.

Alabama.

To some extent, it's an Appalachia thing.

Offensive stereotypes get old. I hate it when a so-called joke or slam starts out with a warning not to be offended or, worse, with "With all due respect..."

If it starts out with a warning\apology, it's probably not appropriate period.

• Like 6

From today's trip...

According to one ride op, Scrambler is the best ride in Coney Mall

"Enjoy the rest of your day here at Kings Island. Home of Vortex. And some other stuff. But mostly Vortex"

Apparently they added 7 loops to Diamondback last week.

• Like 2

^Funny. I heard Zephyr is the best ride in Coney Mall today.

Today I heard a lot of jokes from ride ops.

"Did you hear about the circus fight? It was in tents."

"Where does a cookie sleep? On a baking sheet!"

"What did the nosy pepper do? Get jalapeño business!"

The whole park seemed to be in a good mood today. Friendly staff everywhere, whether it be ride ops, sweeps, security, or food employees.

• Like 5

Best prank...Working whatever ride I was on, usually corkscrew or something...I'd get the whole station to clap and cheer as the train rolled in. I'd ask them how their ride was & congradulate them for being the 1millionth riders on corkscrew or something, it always changed, and ask them if they were ready for their prize...It was either the exit to go see the rest of Cedar Point, or just nothing haha...The face of sheer excitement and awe, then to instant...fffuuuu..beautiful

• Like 2

I'm not really a ride op, but I am trained at most rides in my area at Busch Gardens for evacuation purposes.

Last night as I was crossing the street, a car was at the stop sign and as I went to cross the street I did the cross signal to the car (put your arms up and make an X). As soon as I did it I felt embarrassed.

Too much time on Griffon...

• Like 8