Interesting Things Ride-Ops Do

G-Force

Not really an interesting thing a ride op did but sort of.

My friend and I were the only ones in line for the last ride of the night for Flight of Fear. The ride Op asked if we wanted to ride it with the lights on. This is something I've always wanted to do. But just as we were about to yell yes a mom and her young daughter came into the station and were very excited to ride it in the dark. Apparently it was her first ride on a roller coaster with inversions. So we kept our mouths shut. Another time I guess.

• Like 4

Yesterday The Beast ride-op asked everyone what was better, Subway or Jimmy Johns, the majority said Jimmy Johns and he then continued to tell us how we were all wrong that Subway is much better! I still strongly disagree, however Jimmy Johns has a love thing for mayonnaise on everything for some reason? Yuck.

• Like 1

I'm not really a ride op, but I am trained at most rides in my area at Busch Gardens for evacuation purposes.

Last night as I was crossing the street, a car was at the stop sign and as I went to cross the street I did the cross signal to the car (put your arms up and make an X). As soon as I did it I felt embarrassed.

Too much time on Griffon...

hahahaha! thats too funny ,thanks for sharing . I know after working the Haunt I would still have most of my makeup on and be tempted to scare the people at the drive thru window. I never did but got alot of interesting looks hahaha.

• Like 3

I'm not really a ride op, but I am trained at most rides in my area at Busch Gardens for evacuation purposes.

Last night as I was crossing the street, a car was at the stop sign and as I went to cross the street I did the cross signal to the car (put your arms up and make an X). As soon as I did it I felt embarrassed.

Too much time on Griffon...

The number of times I've giving a crossing signal (though at Dollywood it's a two-finger wave/point in the direction you are going) when crossing a street or parking lot is actually a bit embarrassing.

My husband (a former Beast op) has a pretty funny one too. After his 3rd or so day of work in 2009 (when you still had to say "check" each time you checked a restraint) he locked his car, tugged on the door handle and said "check.... oh dear lord."

I've also found myself using KI radio codes on accident. I had an entire radio transmission/conversation with my supervisor at the Columbus Zoo in KI radio codes (he was a former KI rides sup) without even realizing it until later that day when someone asked what the heck we'd been saying.

• Like 8

• 4 months later...

bumpers.

Yesterday a cashier at dinoland asked another cashier after a customer asked him about them -"do we still have those go carts over by top gun". Something tells me hes either very very new and was last at the park pre Cedar Fair (or uses old school names like i do alot)or doesnt get around the park much lol

• Like 1

Delirium op: who wants to play a game??? Ok we're going to a play Marco Polo! (Op on downswing- Marco! Riders on upswing- polo!!!!)

Flight deck op- that all clear means you guys are flying outta here at 50 MPH! Aaand my Toyota Camry goes faster than that. So that's not that fast.... (Awkward silence) get it? I made a joke about my car! It was supposed to be funny. It's in the parking lot! Aren't you going to laugh? (I think his name is Gary)

Heard some interesting ones at Vortex yesterday!

"Once the train comes to a complete stop, you may exit towards...the exit, I guess."

"Enjoy the rest of your day here at Kings Island World."

Loved these two:

Op: If you enjoyed your ride on Racer, make some noise!

*riders do nothing*

Op: That is the correct answer. This is not Racer; it is Vortex!

Op: Welcome back, riders! How was your sandwich?

*riders do nothing*

Op: Great job! You were all listening!

Also while I was riding Zephyr, the op there played Simon Says!

• Like 7

I still like this one from The Beast!

"If you wanna ride The Beast Clap your Hands,

If you wanna ride The Beast Clap your Hands,

If you wanna ride The Beast, cause you know it's Really Sweet, if you wanna Ride The Beast Clap Your hands"

I have a slight preference for this variation:

If you wanna ride The Beast, clap your hands!

If you wanna ride The Beast, clap your hands!

If you wanna ride The Beast 'cause The Beast is really sweet

If you wanna ride The Beast, clap your feet!

Gets me every time. :)

• Like 7

On Sunday I noticed a lot of ride operators calling the ride another ride in the park. For example: While on Flight of Fear, and about to launch: "Enjoy your ride on The Beast!" Same thing happened on a couple other rides too. It was very strange.

its the end of the season, im sure they get bored :-)

• Like 3

Vortex- control operator-Thank you for chooseing Vortex as your final ride on this final train of the season. Other attendant- you told the last train that too(in his defence they had to run one more train cause someone opened the shortcut gate i never noticed before and peeps were still coming in :-) )

Bonus ride at least :)

• Like 3

• 6 months later...