Interesting Things Ride-Ops Do

G-Force

The operator at Mantis switched to the ride's original name in his spiel as soon as he saw my Banshee shirt from Kings Island.

Can you go into more detail about what you mean?

Banshee was the original name for Mantis at Cedar Point. The name was changed before the ride opened, allegedly because of a negative public reaction to using the name of a spirit connected with death.

I was wearing a shirt with the logo of Kings Island's Banshee. When the ride operator saw me getting ready to disrespect his ride in the front row, he started using "Banshee" instead of "Mantis" in his spiel. (eg. "Enjoy your ride on Banshee")

• Like 3

Or talking to eachother via mic in Zephyr while loaded cycle is going..

Walked past and saw that Tuesday they were chatting with eachother via mics while the ride was loaded and going looking at eachother...If it wasn't for the fact I had things to take care of and was on the phone with an important call I would have screamed.

First time I have EVER had to file a -GR..EVER..I just..I was lost for words

• Like 2

I had ride ops call The Bat anything but The Bat. First time he called it Top Gun, second time they called it The Orange. Last time me and my wife was the only one on it and the ride op asked my name and said. "Enjoy your ride on The Shawn, your very own coaster"

• Like 6

Guest dtk1376

There's a guy that does a couple of the rides over at Coney Mall that my 4 year old daughter likes because he always makes this popping noise with his mouth when doing the "All Clear". He seems to usually be on the Monster ride.

And side note: This is my first post, but have been going to Kings Island regularly since I was around 6 years old, was glad to find this forum, Kings Island is one of my favorite places in the world.

• Like 10

The guy running the Zephyr and the one running the games across from him (Bowler Roller et al) were playing a rhythm game back and forth. The ride op was making clicking noises over the speakers (I didn't see him so I'm not sure whether he was clicking his tongue or what), and then the game op was clapping the rhythm back. The one "sending" the rhythms kept getting faster and more complex trying to throw him off. They seemed to be enjoying it.

• Like 1

When the ride comes to a complete stop, plead unbuckle your seat belt, push down and pull up on your restraint, and exit toward the sleeping Drop Tower. Thank you for riding maXair and enjoy the rest of your day here at kings dominion

• Like 8

When I went on Diamondback, the ride operator challenged us to the "Diamondback Challenge" (keeping hands up from time restraints were checked to unloading).

Had this challenge a few times myself. Its fun until you have to sit in the brakes because someone is taking forever to get in the car or there is an issue getting someone in.

• Like 3

I just wanted to remind everybody, as a former Kings Island ride operator, that if you ever enjoyed something an associate does PLEASE don't hesitate to stop by Guest Services on your way out or shoot the park an email to compliment them. It gives those hard-working associates the recognition they deserve, brings them to management's attention, and can also boost their morale and continue their excellent performance.

• Like 9

I just wanted to remind everybody, as a former Kings Island ride operator, that if you ever enjoyed something an associate does PLEASE don't hesitate to stop by Guest Services on your way out or shoot the park an email to compliment them. It gives those hard-working associates the recognition they deserve, brings them to management's attention, and can also boost their morale and continue their excellent performance.

I have a question about that. Do they let the employee actually know a guest was pleased and keep up the good job? Is there an employee appreciation program within the park? It has to be a very trying job and recognizing your employees would make that job easier on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have a question about that. Do they let the employee actually know a guest was pleased and keep up the good job? Is there an employee appreciation program within the park? It has to be a very trying job and recognizing your employees would make that job easier on them.

I think so, though I'm not sure.

Yes.

• Like 1

Indeed. It is as if the little spielers are seeking approval of the cognoscenti. If I owned or managed the park, I'd go back to the way rides were operated for decades...ride ops who talk only in emergencies. Violation of this rule would result in immediate dismissal.

Ride ops are supposed to safely operate the rides. They were never meant to be in the Entertainment Department. Those who think they are are sadly mistaken. I'd bet surveys of park guests would show the overwhelming majority find ride ops and their microphones to be an annoyance. So many yell, say things they think are cute which moms and dads find annoying, etc.

For the most part, Paramount Parks ride ops did not spiel. The park was a much nicer place for it.

• Like 10

Guest dtk1376

Indeed. It is as if the little spielers are seeking approval of the cognoscenti. If I owned or managed the park, I'd go back to the way rides were operated for decades...ride ops who talk only in emergencies. Violation of this rule would result in immediate dismissal.

Ride ops are supposed to safely operate the rides. They were never meant to be in the Entertainment Department. Those who think they are are sadly mistaken. I'd bet surveys of park guests would show the overwhelming majority find ride ops and their microphones to be an annoyance. So many yell, say things they think are cute which moms and dads find annoying, etc.

For the most part, Paramount Parks ride ops did not spiel. The park was a much nicer place for it.

I think it is OK for them to do the fun stuff with the visitors, it probably makes their job more enjoyable too. That is of course, as long as they are still doing the things that are required of them to keep the visitors safe, and also as long as they are not doing anything obscene. I know in the kids area the children seem to really enjoy the interaction with the ride operators and I haven't really seen any parents make a fuss about the ride operators acting that way. It's really all in good fun and gives the park a little bit more of an uplifting feel when it seems like the employees are having a good time. I know I feel more satisfied with my shopping experience if a cashier has a smile on her face and is being nice to me as opposed to one who just sits there staring at her keyboard scanning items and only saying the bare minimum to me.

• Like 3

I saw this guy working The Beast last year. The video will speak for itself

I remember him. Yet another reason I'd agree with Terpy about the ride ops not talking. His enthusiasm is great, and fun when you're ont eh ride heading out. But listening to it for 10 minutes while waiting to get on gets old real quick.

• Like 8

Guest dtk1376

Wal-Mart employees don't cheer and sing the Wal-Mart song when guests are trying to check out....

No they don't, and they sit there just staring at you like they hate their lives. As opposed to going to most Kroger stores or Jungle Jims, people at least smile and sometimes will talk to you. Everyone is different in how they take things in, you find it annoying, I enjoy it, we'll leave it at that.

• Like 2

A spiel versus a genuine interaction are two different things. I rode TTD ad the ride op was genuinely talking to guests and asked about first riders, etc. not only that but told the rules of the ride. At CP on the same day rode one of the steel coasters and the spiel and shtick got real old real fast.

Shtick versus genuine

• Like 9