Interesting Things Ride-Ops Do

G-Force

Plus, as a ride op imagine doing a full 12+ hour day rotating the same positions all day on a quiet platform of just guests talking that's it.

Trust me, it sucks. I've worked on spieling rides and non-spieling rides. The second always suck. It leads to bored, uninterested, disengaged crews. The one I've seen this be most prevelant on is when I worked on Manta. We actually were not allowed to spiel there because it "freaked people out" supposedly. What it led to was a complete lack of interaction with guests. The ride ops were all more interested in talking to each other, especially if they were in close proximity to another ride op (such as the back unload positions of each station, which are very close to each other). If you were trying to communicate with someone out of yelling range, we had phones at each position. And so people would call each other just to talk about stupid stuff instead of doing their job. The number of times I saw 5+ minute dispatch intervals was ridiculous because the operators were all chit chatting instead of checking restraints. At Universal, most of the rides have headset communication, which again leads to just chatting with each other instead of the guests. This was very prevalent when I worked at Forbidden Journey, and I noticed Hulk was really bad about it also. Flight of the Hippogriff didn't have headsets and we had pretty fantastic communication with our guests (though part of that was also due to excellent leadership).

Dollywood is a mix of spieling and non-spieling. Tennessee Tornado and Mystery Mine both have automated but can also use the mic. It depends on the operator as to which they use. Thunderhead, Wild Eagle and Blazing Fury are mic only. At Mystery Mine, I used the mic most of the time (unless I was just dead worn out) because I enjoyed getting the energy in the station up, but there were many ops that didn't like to.

Uh huh. If he paid more attention to operations and less to entertaining, I bet operations would improve. Pay an automated spieler once. Only approved messaging. Ride ops can then do what they were hired for--op rides. If they wanted to entertain, they should have applied to the entertainment department. Or games (don't get me started about THEIR barking).

• Like 6

Uh huh. If he paid more attention to operations and less to entertaining, I bet operations would improve. Pay an automated spieler once. Only approved messaging. Ride ops can then do what they were hired for--op rides. If they wanted to entertain, they should have applied to the entertainment department. Or games (don't get me started about THEIR barking).

I'm with you there. Prerecorded messages are the way to go. Spieling is ineffective and annoying. It's just an excuse to hear one's own voice over the loud speaker.
  • Like 7

Actually the more I spend on platform, there are two other individuals I've noticed that always everytime seem to be done with checks/cross checks after everyone else, he's one of the quicker people on plat.

Like I said, if you can do it right, do it

If not..you catch my drift, I've said it enough

You have no clue how much I want to take the mic and show them how it's done so many times. Which is another point to bring up, let the person spieling be a non safety check integrated member, it works quite well for GK and a few other CP rides. Don't even get me started on seeing the op in controls spieling..

• Like 2