Interesting Things Ride-Ops Do

G-Force

Best thing I've heard today:

At Adventure Express: "The New York Times calls it...  'a ride'". That literally made me laugh out loud! :lol:

Also, "You'll be Tom Crusin' out of here. Enjoy your 51 mile-per-hour flight through the danger zone, here on Top Gun" (at The Bat)

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, MDMC01 said:

Speaking of FOF, I got a lights-on ride last night. Before that, the ride op launched the previous train with the meme "Road Work Ahead? I sure hope it does!" :lol:

Have never had a FOF lights on ride.. is that a certain time or just get lucky?

Last night it was last train of the night... we actually got to choose, so I spoke up and said "Lights on" and so it happened. It's really cool as you get to see how clise the track is as well as all the stuff in storage at the base of the "drum".

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MDMC01 said:

Last night it was last train of the night... we actually got to choose, so I spoke up and said "Lights on" and so it happened. It's really cool as you get to see how clise the track is as well as all the stuff in storage at the base of the "drum".

I bet it is cool!  I would love to do that once

• Like 1

Yesterday on Delirium, right as the ride started to spin and swing, one of the people on the ride kicked off their flip flops. The ride op stopped the ride immediately and told one of the people checking harnesses to go out and pick up the flip flops, and then said "Remember, when riding rides at Kings Island, it is never a good idea to drop things from a moving ride, ever, anything" That was one of those "dang she mad" moments. 

I had a "dang she mad" moment at WindSeeker on Sunday. I was driving and two people dropped shoes as the ride was coming down, one of which landed on one of the shade covers over the queue.

Now imagine me saying "Please DO NOT drop ANYTHING off of WindSeeker, or ANY ride here at Kings Island. It's against Ohio state law! If you dropped something off of this ride, PLEASE do NOT do it again!!" in a stern, somewhat angry voice. Not many people have heard my stern/angry/authoritative side, as I am generally a friendly person. Unfortunately, a nearly full WindSeeker cycle, the guests in the queue, and two of my crewmates saw that side for a moment on Sunday evening.

Back to interesting things: last night while I was at Unload, my crewmate who was spieling sometimes had us play Simon Says where we said different kinds of pasta such as spaghetti, meatballs, garlic bread, etc. As the train left he would say "Pasta-la-vista!" to the riders. Now that was fun. :D

• Like 3

11 hours ago, VortexBFForever said:

I had a "dang she mad" moment at WindSeeker on Sunday. I was driving and two people dropped shoes as the ride was coming down, one of which landed on one of the shade covers over the queue.

Now imagine me saying "Please DO NOT drop ANYTHING off of WindSeeker, or ANY ride here at Kings Island. It's against Ohio state law! If you dropped something off of this ride, PLEASE do NOT do it again!!" in a stern, somewhat angry voice. Not many people have heard my stern/angry/authoritative side, as I am generally a friendly person. Unfortunately, a nearly full WindSeeker cycle, the guests in the queue, and two of my crewmates saw that side for a moment on Sunday evening.

Back to interesting things: last night while I was at Unload, my crewmate who was spieling sometimes had us play Simon Says where we said different kinds of pasta such as spaghetti, meatballs, garlic bread, etc. As the train left he would say "Pasta-la-vista!" to the riders. Now that was fun. :D

Fun fact.... There was a flip flop on top of the sun shade on WindSeeker on Monday when we rode. Not sure if it's the same one. LOL. My friend that was with me put his flip flops in the box while we rode, and as we were coming down he said "I'm not sure why I took my flip flops off" and then we saw the one on the sunshade and I said "maybe that's why" 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Magenta Lizard said:

What's particularly stupid about the flip-flops on Delirium is that, if the ride ops hadn't stopped the ride and retrieved them, the patron would have needed to buy new ones at the shop or leave the park. Because they definitely would have blown down under the ride.

Yeah, that thought had crossed my mind too. Like, how do you not know your flip flops will most certainly blow into the pit with doing that? 

16 hours ago, VortexBFForever said:

rAmen

• Haha 2

A "dang she mad" moment happened on Vortex Saturday morning. As the train was leaving the station, someone in line reached out to get a loose article. The train abruptly stopped and the ride op was all "Please do NOT grab loose articles from a moving vehicle".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I had a "dang she mad" moment when some kid unbuckle the seat belt in the empty seat next to him as the train was moving out on Mystic. I would also be lying if I didn't say I get one of those moments at least twice a week.

2 hours ago, Cdeq said:

I had a "dang she mad" moment when some kid unbuckle the seat belt in the empty seat next to him as the train was moving out on Mystic. I would also be lying if I didn't say I get one of those moments at least twice a week.

This can be a lot bigger deal then people realize. It could be misconstrued as though the ride operator didn't buckle it. At least if it's treated the same as a bar being left up.

• 3 weeks later...

I rode The Bat last night and one of the spiels I heard was chock-full of Top Gun references. The original name/theme flies again as well as The Bat! ;) 

I also rode Adventure Express and loved hearing "Enjoy the most Adventurous and Expressive ride in all of Kings Island!"

My crewmates at Vortex didn't really do anything overly interesting when I rode, but then again there were only two of them checking restraints (one on each side of the train) and they were concentrating a great deal on moving us through efficiently and safely...which is obviously more important. :)

By far, my favorite spiel I have heard at The Bat was last year's "You'll go up, down, and all through Rivertown! Enjoy your ride on DiamondBat" :lol:

• Like 1

Saturday Top Gun: guy in front of my 9 year old was holding his camera out recording while riding. I was silently cussing him hoping he didn't get the ride stopped or lose phone and hit my kid. It didn't fly out of his hand, but ride ops stopped him at exit and made him delete it, which he cry babied and complained about the whole exit till I turned around and told him lucky it didn't come out and hit my daughter or he would have had more than deleting a video to worry about. 

Saturday Mystic Timbers of course ppl arguing about backpacks.

Sunday while waiting for train to pull up to station to get off Woodstock, heard ride op repeat at least 3 times not to climb on the gate. (Kids climbing, adults not bothering to make them stop), a pause, then VERY LOUDLY told them to get off the gate. 

Again Sunday: Race for your life ops repeatedly saying to same lady put phone away while riding. Lady didn't listen cause next we hear "IT IS ILLEGAL UNDER OHIO STATE LAW TO RECORD OR TAKE PHOTOS WHILE RIDING." Lady finally put it away.

Carousel by Eiffel Tower: ops repeatedly having to tell someone area was non-smoking. 

Honestly in 2 days there I don't see how anyone doesn't lose their mind with visitors. I'll remember next time I'm there if someone seems a bit short with me: there are some real PITA ppl they gotta put up with... DAILY.

• Like 4

^^

It’s honestly sad a lot of times because people only “hear” ride ops when they’re finally yelling or being stern with guests. But most don’t notice that this is not them being rude, it’s just them not being heard by the dis-obeying guests the first 3 times so they have to raise their voice. I wish they didn’t, but like you’ve observed, guests really can be completely oblivious sometimes. The ride ops do a lot to keep people safe and sometimes that means being stern with the guests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

^^

It’s honestly sad a lot of times because people only “hear” ride ops when they’re finally yelling or being stern with guests. But most don’t notice that this is not them being rude, it’s just them not being heard by the dis-obeying guests the first 3 times so they have to raise their voice. I wish they didn’t, but like you’ve observed, guests really can be completely oblivious sometimes. The ride ops do a lot to keep people safe and sometimes that means being stern with the guests.

This is why a few of us are against the speiling or random talking on the mic. You learn to ignore the ride ops till they yell....

• Like 3

So, my wife and I and our two sons were in line at the Tower last evening.  While we were standing there, we were kissing a bit, and all of a sudden we hear, "Family friendly park."  We don't think anything about it, and then we hear it again.  We kind of look behind us, expecting to see a couple groping each other or someone with hardly any clothes on.  We turn to the ride op and she is looking at us (keep in mind, we are 39 and 38 and have been married for almost 17 years).  The ride op was probably 18.  So I said, "What?  I was just kissing my wife."  She says, "It looked more like sucking face."

Here's what really bothers me.  Where are all of the "family friendly park" comments to the women who run around the dry side of the park in bikini tops, or all of the guys who walk around with their pants hanging at their knees?  I would much rather our kids see a married couple who love each other kissing than see some of the trashy stuff you see people wearing (or not wearing).

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, chad_1138 said:

So, my wife and I and our two sons were in line at the Tower last evening.  While we were standing there, we were kissing a bit, and all of a sudden we hear, "Family friendly park."  We don't think anything about it, and then we hear it again.  We kind of look behind us, expecting to see a couple groping each other or someone with hardly any clothes on.  We turn to the ride op and she is looking at us (keep in mind, we are 39 and 38 and have been married for almost 17 years).  The ride op was probably 18.  So I said, "What?  I was just kissing my wife."  She says, "It looked more like sucking face."

Here's what really bothers me.  Where are all of the "family friendly park" comments to the women who run around the dry side of the park in bikini tops, or all of the guys who walk around with their pants hanging at their knees?  I would much rather our kids see a married couple who love each other kissing than see some of the trashy stuff you see people wearing (or not wearing).

If I were going to narrate your story:

”Sir, we are a family park. You should not be kissing your wife in public. Show some class!” Said the associate with the nose piercing and the purple hair.

Sorry, had to.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I could not agree with you more. This sounds like me and my wife are looking we are at the park with our six kids. I could not agree with you more. We have not be scolded by park employees yet, but have thought about it being a possibility.

There are many other things to focus on other than this!

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Magenta Lizard said:

I'd suggest stopping by guest services to mention that interaction, because the tower employee was being inappropriate, both in the assessment, and method of delivery. Light displays of affection between a couple are actually quite family-friendly.

We may do that the next time we are at the park (tomorrow :) ).  My wife and I were talking after, and we would both much rather our kids see couples showing affection to each other than see body parts practically hanging out.

• Like 1

But to be devil's advocate and to remain considerate of all guests...where is the line drawn...and at what point...would two people of same sex doing the same thing not bring out a complaint to a park employee nearby or guest services from someone thinking that was wrong?  It has and has got heated.  And please let's not let this get political because that is not my intent at all.  I am just bringing up actual situations that have happened to try to justify employee response and park procedure.  Now granted, which ones are enforced and which ones aren't are always a topic of debate on these forums...

• Like 1

Last week I saw two things that I give the employees a lot of credit for not losing it with the stupidity of some guests! These both happened on Fri:

Standing in the line at security for people with no bags, this woman with her husband and 4 kids walks right in front of my husband and I and she has a fanny pack, she was told no that's a bag you have to go in the other line, she started arguing with security that someone just went thru with the same thing. People got pretty annoyed with her and told her go back in the other line. That security officer stayed so cool and calm, I was really impressed.

While waiting at the handicap entrance for Diamondback they were loading and made this woman get off that had a crossover purse on. She was screaming that she rode it earlier with it, what do people not understand that those objects can be deadly if they flew off?

• Like 1