Overly aggressive Keyhole Photo employees

Flat Freak

I am planning to make a complaint to Guest Relations in writing. The photographers in the entrance plaza are worse this year than I've ever seen them, and it's a management issue, not an issue with the young adults taking the photos themselves. I used to just let them take my picture, thinking I'd help the kids out, but their aggression has turned me off completely. I don't blame the young adults personally, and I am never rude to them. They are doing what I see as a difficult job, and I'm not going to do anything to make their day worse.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with asking me if I'd like my photo taken, but if I say "no, thanks," or change my direction of walking, that should be the end of it. Management (of the photography sub-contract company) has turned these young adults into paparazzi. KI management really needs to put a clamp on them before they start annoying too many guests. I assume two things 1) the photography is done by a contracted company, not KI personnel directly, and 2) the photographers have a quota or perhaps a commission or incentive program.

I am walking in one direction...a camera steps my way...I change my path...they then MOVE to block my path. That is rude, aggressive, annoying, and unacceptable, and it needs to stop. My first change of direction clearly stated "no, thanks." I can see the shirt, and I can see the camera. I know what you're doing, friend, and my body language clearly answered you. It's not my fault that the management of your company pressures you endlessly to take x number of snaps every day. If I answer you with my body language (eye contact, change direction) that needs to be the end of it. If I say no thanks, that needs to be the end of it.

Twice this season, it has progressed beyond that. I had one photographer move into my path TWICE in the same encounter and another give me a whiny "oh come on, you don't have to buy anything" after getting a "no, thanks."

The photographers are forced by their arrangement to be this aggressive, and it's degrading the park experience. Therefore, KI/FUN management needs to step in.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I must say, the photo employees at Kings Island are the worst I've seen in any park. They're actually the only ones I can even remember, come to think of it. And that just goes to show how aggressive they are. That's not exactly something to be proud of, if you ask me.

Yes. It's embarassing when bringing first timers to the park that that is their first experience. I imagine the families who are completely taken aback by being cornered by these photographers. And as soon as you say "No, thanks," they've already re-started the spiel and are headed toward someone else. I agree that it is not the fault of the photographers themselves, as there is clearly an incentive program as you said. But goodness, it's out of control.

Whenever one of them pesters me for a photo or someone at a game booth awkwardly speaks directly at me and my friends and literally begs us to play, it's really sad. I just think to myself, is there anyone who hears them go, 'Hey you, do you want me to guess your weight?' who then thinks to themselves, 'You know what...? Yeah... Yeah, I think I do. Thanks for offering!'

It seems simple - if someone shows interest in having a group photo taken or if someone looks on the fence about playing a game, then sure, be warm and friendly and invite them in and offer to take the photo for them. But to be aggressive about it and try to guilt / force people into it? There's a problem higher up if the employees must resort to that - it's not just a friendly competition among coworkers.

They would be more successful if they took the Disney approach and just set up in front of the fountain to take your picture with ET in the background. I actually had to wait in line to get my pic taken in The Magic Kingdom...Another thing that cracks me up is the fact I had a pic taken by the key hole people in 2009. I went online later to view the photo, which required me to provide them my email address. They have been emailing me every since trying to sell that same photo...I get an email about once evey couple months.

On Tuesday, I was in front to get to WindSeeker in the morning, when the park opened I was booking it , along with a good rush of people behind. The photo people were standing in the middle of the path trying to get our photo. I was thinking "are you kidding me? Your going to get hurt!" I try to be polite, but it get ridiculous sometimes.

Years of business experience has taught me that simple complaining is pointless unless you're seeking pity, so I have a proposed solution.

I've often wondered why they don't change it to "Free Souvenir Photo." They could offer a free wallet-sized photo to everyone.

1) The incremental cost would be tiny. Digital photography costs virtually zero after equipment and personnel. 12 wallet prints to a sheet (I think). When 12 people redeem their ticket, print the page. Most of the time, people should only wait a few minutes for their free print.

2) The opportunities to upsell when people come by later to pick up their free print would be amazing. Larger prints, digital rights, frames, keychains, flash drives, tshirts, mugs, refrigerator magnets. This would be at least as profitable as the current unpleasant setup is.

3) People would be lining up to get their group photo taken professionally, framed by the fountains and the Eiffel Tower, or the dinosaur, or Snoopy and Charlie Brown.

4) Conversion rates would be much higher, as the people that make the effort to have a photo taken are more likely to buy later.

5) People have a tangible advertisement in their hands for future visits to the park - every time they look at that photo, and it brings back good memories, they see the "Kings Island" sign in front of the fountains or the dinosaur or Snoopy.

6) People have a tangible advertisement in their hands for future photo purchases - the back says "if you would like additional copies of this memory, mugs, tshirts, keychains, and prints, go to "kingsislandfunphoto.com" and enter the photo number found on the front." On the front, it would say "kingsislandfunphoto.com/09276914287" at the bottom of the photo. That gives you an opportunity to get more nickles even after they've left the park, when maybe they couldn't afford the souvenir at the time of the visit.

7) It creates incredible perceived value.

I completely agree that the aggression of the Keyhole employees is very annoying. I can't blame them though, their job must be a very difficult one.

Holiday World this year newly implemented a photography concept comparable to Kings Islands. But the photographers are VERY friendly and not aggressive at all. They are very good at not being annoying. But something I don't understand on a money-making standpoint, these photos are free!

7) It creates incredible perceived value.

This, I think, is the most important of all.

This is exactly what's happening when people trumpet about Holiday World's free soft drinks or Disney's free Fastpass. But is it really free? Of course not. When you pay $85/day at Walt Disney World theme parks, you are paying an additional however-much over the real admission price for access to that system, which requires computers, paper, attendants, additional queue lines, etc.

And people say, "if Holiday World can have free soft drinks, why can't Kings Island?" Of course I don't know the ins-and-outs of that agreement, but how much might a ticket to a mid-sized, stand-alone park like Holiday World cost if it didn't offer free soft drinks, sunscreen, etc.? But Holiday World's one-day ticket and two-day ticket are more expensive than their Kings Island counterparts, and a season pass to that one park is only $10.00 shy of the price of a Cedar Fair Platinum Pass. I would think that it's safe to say that the price of parking and beverages (of which some will have five, some will have none) are scaffolded into the price of admission.

And yet, we do think, "FREE SOFT DRINKS?! FREE PARKING?! WOW, WHAT A VALUE."

Offering one free photo at Kings Island would make people feel like they were getting a great deal, and saying, "Would you like to add a 4x6 for just $5.00 more?" would be a fantastic springboard for sales.

On Tuesday, I was in front to get to WindSeeker in the morning, when the park opened I was booking it , along with a good rush of people behind. The photo people were standing in the middle of the path trying to get our photo. I was thinking "are you kidding me? Your going to get hurt!" I try to be polite, but it get ridiculous sometimes.

Ditto. I had to do a Barry Sanders-like dodge to avoid the one in my path. At the very least, they need to move them away from the Gold Pass gate and avoid the people fast-walking that way. Those people are extremely unlikely to purchase a print anyway.

This behavior leads me to believe the photographers are on a quota for total photos rather than an incentive basis. If they are commissioned, the low conversion rate would make them avoid the sprinters.

I wish they wouldn't try to take your photo when you're heading for ERT. A couple weeks ago I arrived at the park around 9:45 so I rushed to the Gold Pass entrance. But I was held up by not just one photographer but two! I mean did the second person not see that I declined the first one? In fact I know she did because she was looking right at me! I'm getting tired of this, I try to be as nice as I can, but apparently that doesn't work. And then to make it worse Diamondback was in the transition of adding a train. So I didn't even get any ERT in.

Last Saturday, my wife and I were physically blocked in front of the Gold Pass entrance while trying to get to DB ERT. Before we left I found a photo manager and told him that if these kids didn't move away from the entrance, they were going to get trampled by us trying to get to DB and fast walking passers had no interest in a picture. He said he'd bring it up in the next meeting. We went the next day and they moved them.........to the opening of the concourse!!! It's worse than ever. I know these kids are doing what they're told, but geez they really need to dial it back a notch before someone gets hurt.

I'm tempted to use a line my large friend used to say, "Move, or Bleed". These kids are in a tough spot, and I really do feel for them. Maybe there won't be such a rush to get to Vortex/WS ERT.

i understand everyone complaining because of the photographers being aggressive, but it's kind of silly to be angry with them because you didn't get an extra ride in on your favorite ride, especially when some go as often as they do.

But we paid for the rides, we didn't pay to get harassed.

All I have to say is, instead of walking directly out through the gates onto I-Street, where you would likely be rudely held up by a mob of photographers, sneak to the right into Convenience Corner. Pretend that an item within the shop caught your eye, and walk out onto I-Street towards the bathrooms. It appears as though you were already in the park.;)

i understand everyone complaining because of the photographers being aggressive, but it's kind of silly to be angry with them because you didn't get an extra ride in on your favorite ride, especially when some go as often as they do.

I agree. It's less than 30 seconds to just get it taken. If you try to avoid them, you may find it taking longer to get somewhere. Also, if your thinking "oh, they will just ask again later," have the pink ticket in your pocket, and just flash it out. I guarantee they will understand you already have a picture taken, so they won't bother you again.

I would love to see the photographers integrated into the whole of the park.

At Disney, we hardly ever notice a photographer.. until we are struggling to take a family photo of ourselves and one comes out of whatever secret tunnel entrance is nearby. They really do come out of the woodwork to offer a photo when you need it... and don't pester you otherwise. At least, that has been my experience.

Why shove all these kids to the front of the park? They should be all spread out and trained to look for photo opportunities... not a captive audience. Families in Planet Snoopy, people meandering down Coney Mall... there are so many chances for photos that don't have to happen at the front of the park. I can't tell you how many times I've been at KI and offered or asked someone to take a picture of a group.

I would love to see the photographers integrated into the whole of the park.

At Disney, we hardly ever notice a photographer.. until we are struggling to take a family photo of ourselves and one comes out of whatever secret tunnel entrance is nearby. They really do come out of the woodwork to offer a photo when you need it... and don't pester you otherwise. At least, that has been my experience.

Why shove all these kids to the front of the park? They should be all spread out and trained to look for photo opportunities... not a captive audience. Families in Planet Snoopy, people meandering down Coney Mall... there are so many chances for photos that don't have to happen at the front of the park. I can't tell you how many times I've been at KI and offered or asked someone to take a picture of a group.

This is a fantastic idea! I would actually probably use this myself! You need to write to the park and give them this idea.

I'm sick of it to be honest. Everywhere I go it seems someone is in my face trying to get me to buy something I don't need. One advantage is I am usually going in alone, and they don't bother with that.

Isn't this approach kind of a paramount thing? It's outlived its time.

One of my friends works in keyhole. I know for a fact they do have a quota, and they are usually paid based on it. Also, the company that owns and manages keyhole is not Kings Island or Cedar Fair. If you plan on Making a complaint on them, I recommend you go to the company that can actually do something. Which in this case, is NOT Kings Island. While I do agree with all you have posted in this thread, I just didn't want your suggestion go out the window.

The best way to avoid the papparazzi is to walk in by yourself. If you're in a group, split up and go through separate admission gates and reconnect past them. I've done that for several years. They don't take pIcs of single people.

Really? Just let them take the picture. Honestly, I have been with groups several times this year. They ask us if they can get a picture, and it takes just a moment. Done! Now you just keep the pink paper or toss it. I can't explain that better. Just feel good knowing that made them a little happier. Hey, you might even go look at the photo, and want to buy it.

One of my friends works in keyhole. I know for a fact they do have a quota, and they are usually paid based on it. Also, the company that owns and manages keyhole is not Kings Island or Cedar Fair. If you plan on Making a complaint on them, I recommend you go to the company that can actually do something. Which in this case, is NOT Kings Island. While I do agree with all you have posted in this thread, I just didn't want your suggestion go out the window.

and it's degrading the park experience. Therefore, KI/FUN management needs to step in.

Really? Just let them take the picture. Honestly, I have been with groups several times this year. They ask us if they can get a picture, and it takes just a moment. Done! Now you just keep the pink paper or toss it. I can't explain that better. Just feel good knowing that made them a little happier. Hey, you might even go look at the photo, and want to buy it.

I used to feel that way, but they've pushed me (and clearly others) to the point where a friendly offer has become an uncomfortable situation. When they deliberately step in front of me, they've crossed the line. When they whine after I say "no thanks," they've crossed the line. In fact, if I have to change my direction, they've crossed the line.