For the big guys...(and gals)..

wvunick

Hey everyone, I love the site!

I noticed several topics about plus sized riders. I spent all day yesterday at KI (Its been years since I've been) and have to admit that I too was a little concerned before I got there about what I would and wouldn't fit on.

I consider myself to be a very, very large man. A competitive powerlifter up until about 3 years ago, my dimensions are

Height - 6'1

Weight - 321 lbs

Chest - 56 inches

Waist - 40 inches

Those are all very accurate, I know because I spent a week after we booked the room and bought the tickets fretting about whether or not I had just wasted my money..lol

I found that while there were lots of articles and forum posts about larger people riding, none of them really fit the body type I had, so if this helps just one person t not worry or hesitate as much as I did...great!

We started with the Drop Zone, which was admittedly the most uncomfortable ride of the day. However, with a forceful push from the ride workers I was in and on my way up.

Next we hit Delirium...to my suprise, I was able to get everything locked into place on my own with no problem at all.

Next was Invertigo ...again, a tight fit, but very dooable. I was able to lock in and release without help.

Then we hit Flight Deck...piece of cake, snug but got in and out as quick as anyone else.

Flight of Fear was next, a little tighter across the lap. Took some force (big thighs), but got it locked and was on my way.

From FOF we went on Firehawk...suprisingly roomy in the chest harness, no problem at all. (Other than the shin guard digging into my legs..lol)

Next was Diamondback...the weird lap thing had me a little nervous, and I will admit that it was very snug, but no assistance was needed with that one either, rode without problem.

From there we rode Beast .. belt was a little bit of a pain to fish out, and the lap bar was tight, had to get a little push after the ride to catch the release pin...no biggie.

Vortex was next...one click came pretty easily, although I would have liked to have had one more, it was sufficient and off we went!

WindSeeker...I rode this because I was guilted into it. I love coasters, but rides like carousels and the WindSeeker, not so much. As we stood in line, I'll admit I was a little worried as it seemed like on every ride ahead of us we were hearing the "unlock" call from the booth and shortly after, someone was taking the long walk to the exit because they couldn't lock in far enough. When it was our turn, I was prepared for the worst, and fully expected my girlfriend to have to ride alone (which would have been fiiiiiine with me btw..lol) But to my surprise, I was able to lock in far enough to green light on the first go, and got to ride without anyone being the wiser.

On a side note, this morning we were at the Waffle House in Mason before we headed home, and I looked over the parking lot and saw them raising the WindSeeker in the rain, and it gave me chills....never again will I get on that thing..lol

Crypt ... I fit fine, rode it...it sucked.

So I guess, in summary...my size prevented me from riding...nothing. At least nothing I wanted to ride, their were a couple we didn't do out of time constraints but I can't imagine the seats would have been any less accomodating.

I hope this provides some useful feedback, and if anyone replies with any specific questions, I'll reply right back!

So I guess, in summary...my size prevented me from riding...nothing. At least nothing I wanted to ride, their were a couple we didn't do out of time constraints but I can't imagine the seats would have been any less accomodating.

I hope this provides some useful feedback, and if anyone replies with any specific questions, I'll reply right back!

I'm glad you were able to ride without any problems. I'm 6'4, 340, with 48" waist and 34" inseam. Drop Tower is out, as is Delirium and anything else with a "maximum height requirement." Yes, there are several rides with this rule.

I couldn't ride Diamondback last year but it was very close. I haven't tried WindSeeker yet, but I'm hopeful it'll work. The Beast is a tight fit and I HATE how my knees bang the front of the car. Backlot Stunt Coaster is a tight fit but it works, as is Flight Deck. Viking Fury, Adventure Express, and Shake Rattle Roll have all been fine. Obviously the train works fine, too. Flight of Fear worked last year but it took them three employees to get me in. Thankfully, the great Ronny Salerno was one of them and he and his crew were very kind. I think that's everything I've tried to ride this year or last.

The nice thing is that no matter what the employees have all been VERY sensitive to this issue and are super kind about helping and if I've had to make the Walk of Shame, they've been very sweet about it. Thanks to them!

From there we rode Beast .. belt was a little bit of a pain to fish out,

I assure you that this problem is not exclusive to the largest riders. You have 2 inches and 100+ pounds on me (Sir :lol:), and I always reach down and pull the seat belt up before sitting. It helps a lot.

I've read some people say they can fit on Diamondback but not on WindSeeker, and vice versa. I wonder which is which for different body types. It would seem that larger thighs would be more of a problem on Diamondback, while more hips/waist/backside would be the problem on WindSeeker.

I've read some people say they can fit on Diamondback but not on WindSeeker, and vice versa. I wonder which is which for different body types. It would seem that larger thighs would be more of a problem on Diamondback, while more hips/waist/backside would be the problem on WindSeeker.

I'd say that's accurate. Diamondback was flat out TIGHT on the legs, whereas WindSeeker seems like it could get iffy for any guy with a waist in the mid to high 40's.

Thanks for the post wvunick thats some really great info for bigger riders I'm 6'3 260 with a 38 waist and I really don't have any issues although throwback coasters like The Beast give my grief do to the lapbar as my legs want freedom LOL and Flight of Fear I think the seatbelts are all not the same length as I've sat in almost every car and I swear the front feels diff than the middle.

I'm 6'6", 230 lbs, and the only real issue I have is squeezing into The Vortex...if I sit too tall, it hurts my shoulders, if I squeeze down a bit, that safety belt...you know...is in a certain spot. Quite the balancing act to stay comfortable.

Everything else I fit in, after tucking my legs in. If I was half an inch taller, I don't think I'd be able to ride Drop Tower. They won't let me on Deliruim.

SOB was the worst, though that was in the first trains, never rode it after they took out the loop.

I'm glad you were able to ride without any problems. I'm 6'4, 340, with 48" waist and 34" inseam. Drop Tower is out, as is Delirium and anything else with a "maximum height requirement." Yes, there are several rides with this rule.

I couldn't ride Diamondback last year but it was very close. I haven't tried WindSeeker yet, but I'm hopeful it'll work. The Beast is a tight fit and I HATE how my knees bang the front of the car. Backlot Stunt Coaster is a tight fit but it works, as is Flight Deck. Viking Fury, Adventure Express, and Shake Rattle Roll have all been fine. Obviously the train works fine, too. Flight of Fear worked last year but it took them three employees to get me in. Thankfully, the great Ronny Salerno was one of them and he and his crew were very kind. I think that's everything I've tried to ride this year or last.

The nice thing is that no matter what the employees have all been VERY sensitive to this issue and are super kind about helping and if I've had to make the Walk of Shame, they've been very sweet about it. Thanks to them!

I am also 6' 4" but, they have only told by a ride operator that I could not ride, this was at KI. At Cedar Point, 2 weeks ago and I believe the height requirement was 6'5" (for the maximum)

One of my best friends is 6'8" and rides every ride at KI. Even Delirium. We have pictures of him standing next to the height requirement sign, clearly over the line, yet he gets on by slouching. He has yet to be stopped, or hurt lol. So if you really want to ride, just slouch past the operators. I'm almost positive their measuring stick at the booth is just for the minimum requirement, so they probably rarely check the max height. (IMO)

I'm almost positive their measuring stick at the booth is just for the minimum requirement, so they probably rarely check the max height. (IMO)

I wouldn't count on that. I know when working during the Paramount years, our crew would check both height requirements daily for accuracy before the park opened. I remember several times measuring taller guests just before getting on the ride and having to turn them away.

I'm 6`6, 290LBS, and can fit on almost anything in the park except for Vortex and FD. Last time I rode FD (a ride I was easily able to ride back in the mid 2000's I might add,) my hip about dislocated due to the position I had to torque myself into.

As for maximum height requirements, I am just barely under the line for DT (we are talking the difference between tennis shoes and sandals under the line,) and am too tall for Delirium. It is frustrating to have something that you cannot control be the deterrent to you riding something (most people, and I say most because thyroid problems do exist, can control their waistline with exercise and dieting, however your DNA is written for a certain height, something completely out of your control.)

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I'm 6`6, 290LBS, and can fit on almost anything in the park except for Vortex and FD. Last time I rode FD (a ride I was easily able to ride back in the mid 2000's I might add,) my hip about dislocated due to the position I had to torque myself into.

As for maximum height requirements, I am just barely under the line for DT (we are talking the difference between tennis shoes and sandals under the line,) and am too tall for Delirium. It is frustrating to have something that you cannot control be the deterrent to you riding something (most people, and I say most because thyroid problems do exist, can control their waistline with exercise and dieting, however your DNA is written for a certain height, something completely out of your control.)

Amen. In most cases, one can control their weight so he or she can fit into a ride, but there's no healthy or practical way that one can "lose height" for the sake of fitting within maximum height requirements of amusement rides.

If anything, it's proper diet and exercise that helps one reach their maximum height when still growing and prevents one from shrinking as he or she ages. This can be a double edged sword for those living in the 'very tall' margin (who aren't pro athletes). Because being tall is great, but it's being too tall that can really be a pain in the legs at times (literally)...

I'm about 6'3.5". I really hope I've stopped growing, or at least don't grow past 6'4"...

I don't even know if I could get by on Delirium as is with shoes on and apparently it turns out there are a few great Intamin hypercoasters which uncharacteristically have 6'4" max requirements instead of 6'6" (Rides of Steel, Bizarro)

• Like 5