Kings Island theming

Snowman

Went yesterday, FoF is amazing! Which got me to thinking, and looking. KI is clearly sprucing the park up, adding little touches that us enthusiasts can't get enough of. So lets help out and post simple observations we have that maybe an employee can pass on to management(feel free to take credit for noticing if you want to). Let's keep it positive and realistic. Adding a 12 loop inverted stratacoaster is a little more dificult than changing a light bulb.

Here's an idea of what I'm talking about:

In the first room of FoF, there's a spinning emergency light over the door leading into the spaceship cue. The reflector spins, but the bulb is out. Also, if they pan the camera in the spaceship cue to where there is usually a line, it will look cooler in the video where they cut to the live shot instead of showing an empty cue.

In Boo Blasters cue room there's 2 ghosts that pop up and a mounting cross bar that pops up where another character could be added.

What have you noticed?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good topic Snowman.

I watched the PBS documentary online about the beginnings of Kings Island yesterday. All I can say is, WOW. The level of thought and theming that went into building the park. Gary Wachs (i think was his name) traveled to EVERY amusement park in the US, traveled to Europe, etc... to get ideas for every themed area of the park to give it a "theme park" feeling.

I wish I draw a line back to when it seems that the park overall started to drift from the theming concept. Maybe it was when they installed "The Bat" at the end of Coney Mall. Though a great coaster concept for its time, doesn't really fit with the classic amusement park theme. It was interesting, you could tell that he (as "founder" of KI) was very pleased with the project they conceived, happy for the park's success, but clearly reserved when speaking about the current direction of the park.

That being said- I think the best way they can keep the theming up (decorations really)- is to keep them maintained. FOF is amazing, but the theming is a bit "off" from 1996 when it was installed.

I personally would like to see International Street restored to some level of "international-ness"... and the grand carousel perhaps get its music playing ability back.

I am intrigued by the Cedar Fair leadership coming (a disney executive)- it should be interesting. Richard Kinzel was about record-breaking height for the parks. Disney's concept is about the lasting experience AND theming. It will probably be 5 years before the new CEO's hand print to begin to show- but it will be interesting to see what creative direction the park-systems take.

Theming is a major factor to us. I loved the environment from the mixed Nickelodeon and Hannah-Barbera themed things from a couple years back. And just overall theming I love. It gives the character and personality to the park. I think Action Zone could use a little fixing up a big. Make it more of the film set style it used to be. I know that was a Paramount thing, but it's still do-able I would believe. I haven't been to the park yet this year, (not till July 17th), but I can't wait to see what they've done so far!!!

Visual theming is great. So is audio theming! I haven't been to the park yet this year (life is a bit crazy at the moment) but I have one question for those who have... Have they returned to the majestic, international-themed music at the front entrance/Royal Fountains, or are they still playing rock/pop? Thanx.

It really is that important to me. Thanks :)

I haven't heard the international-themed music yet this year.

But I sure do remember it... ah the memories

I think the fog drop with the projected skull in Boo Blasters is a detail they should maintain. I think it's the coolest part of the ride, and it seems to randomly be working and other times not.

There are fog machines in the queue for Flight of Fear, that could be turned on for a cool effect, and I believe in the first UFO room, where the blue light up map thing is, there are misters all around the room, that could also be turned on.

Mist in Adventure Express's tunnels could be turned back on

Tower Gardens ponds refilled or at least fill them in and plant flowers or something!

There are fog machines in the queue for Flight of Fear, that could be turned on for a cool effect, and I believe in the first UFO room, where the blue light up map thing is, there are misters all around the room, that could also be turned on.

Mist in Adventure Express's tunnels could be turned back on

Tower Gardens ponds refilled or at least fill them in and plant flowers or something!

I never knew there were misters in there! Don't forget the fog in the launch tunnel! :D

Everything seems to be in good condition except for the lights behind the vents under the drive booth, and also the purple (and as of now, non-existent green) lights above the station need to be fixed. Also, for the lights above the drive booth, there is a green gel missing on the left-most light.

32jn0qbn90k83aes022g00.jpg

^See the gels above the ride op? White, green, green green. And only a few of the vent lights are working. And the purple looks blue on the ceiling in the picture, but at the front and back of the station, they aren't working as you can see.

The green lights are the ones over the gates, here:

hu08g46cc045001e2knei1.jpg

The last time I saw it at night, the Monster had a few bulbs out. They could have fixed it though, it's been a while.

Backlot would be amazing with the splash effects at the helicopter scene and at the splashdown. (Though those are bigger changes)

Hmm...

Also Flight Deck would be pretty neat if they turned the fog back on there!

Stuff I'd like to see:

Restore the water in the "splashdown" area of BLSC (even something like what they had there last year, since it seems filling it all the way up was causing track corrosion or something)

Turn off the darn lights in The Beast tunnel (I can understand them forgetting to turn them off every now and then, but they've been on every time I've ridden it this season, which seems to indicate it was done intentionally)

Restore the fancy lighting effects in The Beast station like they had for "power hour" at The Beast years ago (flashing lights, the "Beast has been unleashed" sign, thunder, etc.)

Less trim brake in FoF (I still say it brings the entire train to a complete standstill)

Restore original ride effects on FoF and AE as much as possible (fog, mist, lighting effects, etc.)

Fix the issues with Starlight Spectacular (if anyone has seen it recently, you'll know what I'm talking about - stars with huge sections that aren't lit up, dark sections in the "stripes" on the tower, etc.)

I have a memory of King's Island that I loved as a kid. There was a long tunnel toward Beast I believe that was covered in some kind of ivy, shrub, or plant. I always thought it was so cool to walk through. I had a 5-10 year falling out with King's Island (though am visiting more than ever with my Platinum Pass these days), so does anyone know why this was removed or what happened to it?

Maybe they could bring back a similar concept somewhere in the park, like in Dinosaurs Alive?

I have a memory of King's Island that I loved as a kid. There was a long tunnel toward Beast I believe that was covered in some kind of ivy, shrub, or plant. I always thought it was so cool to walk through. I had a 5-10 year falling out with King's Island (though am visiting more than ever with my Platinum Pass these days), so does anyone know why this was removed or what happened to it?

Maybe they could bring back a similar concept somewhere in the park, like in Dinosaurs Alive?

The tunnel you're talking about passed towards the Diamondback plaza from the area outside the International Showplace theater. It was removed years ago, but was on the map even in 2010 (just above the "57" label):

picture3kl.png

This year's map has corrected it to show what is truly there now - the multi-colored umbrella-covered tables of Planet Snoopy.

picture2rn.png

Kings Dominion still has a vine trellis tunnel in the Old Virginia area, as far as I know...

EDIT: Yep, here's a picture from Coaster Net of the structure at Kings Dominion in early April 2010 before the plants were placed and grown (it collapsed during the 09-10 winter under heavy snowfall and this new one had to be built):

1001334h.jpg

You're right. It's pretty much just a carnival.

(cool pics proving KI is very well themed in some cases)

And much, much more.

Geeez.... When you make a point you really don't fart around do you? I wanted a "Loved it" button!! Well done sir.

I was obviously kidding but what ever. I did go to the park yesterday and I must say Flight of Fear's que looks really nice and for the first time, I heard the crashing sound on the launch. I didn't make it back to Flight Deck, so I wasn't able to see what it looked like back there, but I did go through Crypt and it looks pretty cool. I noticed the cool water effect on the wall behind the weird creatures, it's a really nice touch. I also like the audio they added to the ride ques.

I was obviously kidding but what ever. I did go to the park yesterday and I must say Flight of Fear's que looks really nice and for the first time, I heard the crashing sound on the launch. I didn't make it back to Flight Deck, so I wasn't able to see what it looked like back there, but I did go through Crypt and it looks pretty cool. I noticed the cool water effect on the wall behind the weird creatures, it's a really nice touch. I also like the audio they added to the ride ques.

Not saying I don't belive you, but are you sure you heard the crashing sound? I went on Tuesday and even after hearing reports of it playing, it did not play. The launch is just really loud, lol.

I am so glad for what they did to it, though!

264037_2173197568120_1192206818_2576799_637315_n.jpg

263436_2173198448142_1192206818_2576800_7693156_n.jpg

I'll have to check my iPod camera later to see if I took pictures of it, but the trash cans are new, and they also rearranged/added some more miscellaneous scenery back towards the mirror.

It's a really distinct sound at 0:08...

However the walls of the launch tunnel are terrible sound insulators, and they make the sound of the wheels rolling and the LIM's firing really loud.

Can you confirm that you heard it after watching this?

It's a really distinct sound at 0:08...

However the walls of the launch tunnel are terrible sound insulators, and they make the sound of the wheels rolling and the LIM's firing really loud.

Can you confirm that you heard it after watching this?

I went on Memorial Day weekend, and I am almost positive I heard the crashing sound! It's more of an electro-blast sound.

This may not be as much theme related but whatever, I wish the International Street was wider like it used to be. Tables are nice but when having to negotiate through there in the night is hard. I love KI and no matter what they do or don't do it is still my home park and love it. Few ideas for theming would be have a cemetery far away from any foot traffic and house the smokers, it is ridiculous to walk my healthy kids in a great kids park area and have them inhale smoke. I mean really if you can't smoke in the parking lot before and after you come then you need help. I went to a cheap little park somewhere as a kid and I found that they would place little pop up creatures, monsters, crazy things that would jump out at you in random areas and on random rides. Just made for a bit or an unexpected surprise that kept the feeling of an older ride new again. Thanks for all the conversation.