Kings Island theming

Snowman

When did the floral tunnel actually go?

That tunnel was for years a longer s-shaped tunnel that was a nice part of the park for about 25 years. Then during a remodel of the Hanna-Barbera land in 1998, it was shortened to only about 40% of its original length, and mainly used for a shaded place to eat. (The other half of what used to be the tunnel was blocked off and used for storage..). Then around the time that Cedar Fair took over the park, the tunnel was removed completely, perhaps around 2007... (When Nick Universe first appeared, I think the shorter version of the tunnel was still there, for at least a year or so...)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 Ideas for Drop Tower's loading pad:

1: Paint the loading pad like a bullseye, so if you have the courage to look down during the drop, you'll get the sensation your riding on the world's biggest arrow.

2: Paint the loading pad like a dartboard, so if you have the courage to look down during the drop, you'll get the sensation you riding on the world's biggest dart.

^to me that seems like a waste of paint, every time i ride Drop Tower i try and look down, but due to the restraints you can't really look over the side of the gondola.

Yeah, I agree. But I think they can add some more lights to DT.

Thats a shame that lights on WindSeeker are already out!

2 Ideas for Drop Tower's loading pad:

1: Paint the loading pad like a bullseye, so if you have the courage to look down during the drop, you'll get the sensation your riding on the world's biggest arrow.

2: Paint the loading pad like a dartboard, so if you have the courage to look down during the drop, you'll get the sensation you riding on the world's biggest dart.

Or, Place a mosaic of large, seamless mirrors around the tower to make you feel like you're falling up;

Or, Paint the loading pad like boiling grease, so if you have the courage to look down during the drop, you'll get the sensation you're riding the world's biggest french-fry basket.

Or, Eat a YorkTM Peppermint Patty while riding, so you'll get the sensation you're riding a dogsled down the face of a mighty Alaskan glacier in the Iditarod!

:P

(sorry; I'm not at my PhotoShop computer)...

From what I remember (which is not alot) The lights did at one time turn off when the video "surged" all of the lights went out and then slowly flickered back on. Neat effect, yes, but those that couldn't control what their hands did during that period of darkness got the effect taken out of the program.

Really! What was the details of the incidents?

I would very much so like to see Flight Deck fixed up, like bringing the mist back, maybe painting the station platform like an aircraft carriers deck, and cleaning up under the track a bit would help a lot. Also if they could do something to make the ride more known, its kind of pushed in the corner were non-locals can't see it and it really gets overlooked.

Dave i totaly agree Flight Deck AKA Top Gun really is in desperate need of some lovin. I think they should fix the station up and theme it so you feel like you are actually on a ship. I think it would be so cool (but impractical) to put mock Missiles on both sides of the Car. Also i think that themed costuming needs to make a comeback it was such a shame when they did away with themed costumes. Myself I hated the blue polos when we had to wear them as they were to hot. And i think the Red uniforms are just plain Tacky.

In my opinion Kings Island needs to bring more of the older KI back, or at least the concept, such as making Octoberfest German again and maybe putting some more spinning rides in, bringing more of the European feel back to International street. As for Flight Deck I think anything to spruce it up a bit could help (Such as the much needed paint that it finally got), i think many more guests could enjoy it if it wasn't so overlooked. It would be a shame to see that ride get removed due to the lack of attendance just because nobody could find it, especially being that it is one of only 5 still operating.

From what I remember (which is not alot) The lights did at one time turn off when the video "surged" all of the lights went out and then slowly flickered back on. Neat effect, yes, but those that couldn't control what their hands did during that period of darkness got the effect taken out of the program.

Really! What was the details of the incidents?

The lights and sound were coordinated with the video. When the politician? I think it was? said he let civilians in the hangar, there would be a brief live stream of the patrons in line.When the technician in the video messed with the ship's panel, the lights of the UFO would start to go off and on,

When the electricity went out on the video, the lights would flash off and on in the hangar, around you,

Then the lights would go completely out. Then the opening monologue of the Outer Limits show would be played. At the end of the monologue, the lights would go back up, as if nothing had happened.

Dave i totaly agree Flight Deck AKA Top Gun really is in desperate need of some lovin. I think they should fix the station up and theme it so you feel like you are actually on a ship. I think it would be so cool (but impractical) to put mock Missiles on both sides of the Car. Also i think that themed costuming needs to make a comeback it was such a shame when they did away with themed costumes. Myself I hated the blue polos when we had to wear them as they were to hot. And i think the Red uniforms are just plain Tacky.

I think they're red for visibility, kind of like why Six Flags has the dayglo yellow ones.

I know it has been mentioned else where on the site, but I finally got to ride the Crypt today and I must say I love that they added Inception music!!! It was a nice fit to me. While my sister was complaining about the ride, I was amazed at much the music added to the ride. Nice addition KI! I also enjoyed the darkness of the ride itself.

I went to the park yesterday and Flight Deck was looking nice! I liked the tape-runway, the model jet and missles, and the music. It was a nice retouch!

I also noticed on Flight of Fear that they fixed the purple and green lights above the station. The launch tunnel is now blue-ish instead of white. And the lights that hold the dome in place (with the red stripe, above the station) now aren't only white/fixed, they change color as well!

When we were in line for WindSeeker, we heard the ride-ops talking about how Vortex is probably going to take 6 weeks! D:

I know this thread started out as listing what needs to be fixed... So in lieu of things...

There were 3 lights out on WindSeeker on the bottom of the seats. In Flight of Fear's UFO, where the purple lights are, there is a section of them out right above where you enter.... No big deal, just little things I noticed...

Can't wait to see what will happen when Ouimet takes charge next year!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Riding The Beast the other day my son and I were talking about how kewl it would be to have some of the dinosaur screams back in the woods by The Beast. Something you could hear waiting in line and maybe back on the second lift hill before the helix.

Are they ever going to bring back the effect that happens while in line for Flight of Fear, the part when the power shuts off for about 5 seconds, that was always cool.

I liked the effect, too, but I hear they stopped it due to grab hands in the dark.

I have mentioned this before but I would like to put it out there again. I was riding The Beast this Saturday night around 11 pm very dark out and I love it, wiping through the woods in The Beast at night. I would love to see KI embrace the ghost stories of KI, Tower Johnny etc. Maybe a illuminated ghost projected in the trees at the second hill. A slow and vulnerable part of the ride, for that matter a few projections in various parts of the park. Not always on just every so often, could be made into a sort of scavenger hunt game. ei. where did you see Tower Johnny, did you see so and so at Vortex. Great way to stimulate people between rides. THanks